NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts/questions about the tip that Renner published about a MM car loan account being open and current several years after her disappearance:

Until MM is declared dead or a court intervenes, I assume her accounts would stay open. A court would intervene only if someone (a family member) petitioned for authority to manage her financial affairs until she was found. But a college student might have very few financial affairs -- perhaps only a car loan automatically paid each month out of a checking account. I could imagine that rather than hire a lawyer to petition the court, the father might have decided just to feed the checking account enough to keep the loan current. Could that explain the tip Renner got? That payments were being made long after MM disappeared? Or am I missing something?

The thought has crossed my mind as well. The only problem I have with it is what car were they paying off? Was it the Saturn? This also makes me ask if she didn't own the Saturn that long before it started to have engine problems. Could it have been a 4 year loan?

Hadn't she stayed there before with her Dad or some place similar? I find it hard to believe she had no clue of the cost. For all we know she could have made the reservations for all their outings.

It is possible Maura's father never discussed the cost to his kids. Kids sometimes underestimate the cost of things, until they have to pay for it themselves.

The thought has crossed my mind as well. The only problem I have with it is what car were they paying off? Was it the Saturn? This also makes me ask if she didn't own the Saturn that long before it started to have engine problems. Could it have been a 4 year loan?

This is a little bit of assuming, but it's doubtful that the Saturn was in Mauara's name. Since her dad would have been the co-signer he would have come up on the loan as primary holder of the loan.

This is a little bit of assuming, but it's doubtful that the Saturn was in Mauara's name. Since her dad would have been the co-signer he would have come up on the loan as primary holder of the loan.

The Saturn was registered in the name of Maura's father. That is why when police first ran the car's info, they came up with Fred's name and not Maura's.

The Saturn was registered in the name of Maura's father. That is why when police first ran the car's info, they came up with Fred's name and not Maura's.

Thanks Scoops, yeah I remember now becaues there was something about LE not informing Fred soon enough being that he was the owner of the car.

I was only trying to figure what car they have been paying off to rule out that it was an older loan made prior to her disappearance. It was probably not the Saturn.

If Fred co-signed wouldn't her name be on the loan too? I haven't done one of those in years, so I forgot how it worked.

http://www.seasonsnh.com/rates.html

The rates to the rooms are clearly listed on the sight she was on. It is not logical to assume that she didn't know the rates.

Good point, but maybe she didn't look at the rates. She just got the phone number and called. To me, it seemed like she was hurrying around that day. Yet, maybe she was going to use a credit card.

The rates may not have been listed when she looked at the website 8 years ago. The internet has changed since then.

Not sure what you mean by the interent changing since 2004 that would not allow a company to list their room rates? Maura called to rent a room and they will filled.

I have never known anyone to rent a room without asking rates. Too bad that they were filled because she had to use a CC to hold it and maybe she was going to use someone elses card.

Good point, but maybe she didn't look at the rates. She just got the phone number and called. To me, it seemed like she was hurrying around that day. Yet, maybe she was going to use a credit card.

What makes you think she was in a hurry? When you go to that site there is the word "rates" so I'm betting she clicked on that tab. Would have been way too easy, took me less than one second to find out the rates.

If all Maura wanted to know was the phone number then the whitepages would have been easier for only that info.

Maura did a lot of research before she left including looking at info on pregnancy and the effects of alcohol on unborn fetus.

What makes you think she was in a hurry? When you go to that site there is the word "rates" so I'm betting she clicked on that tab. Would have been way too easy, took me less than one second to find out the rates.

If all Maura wanted to know was the phone number then the whitepages would have been easier for only that info.

Maura did a lot of research before she left including looking at info on pregnancy and the effects of alcohol on unborn fetus.

Not that I think it matters a whole lot. But I just posted that link to the website of the condo that Maura called. It no way means for certain that she even looked up that place vie the internet. She likely already knew about that place, because I think her and her father stayed there before. She may have already had the phone number or in fact she may have gone to the internet site.

Not that I think it matters a whole lot. But I just posted that link to the website of the condo that Maura called. It no way means for certain that she even looked up that place vie the internet. She likely already knew about that place, because I think her and her father stayed there before. She may have already had the phone number or in fact she may have gone to the internet site.

Thanks for the info. Since I believe that Maura was on her way to meet someone (and I seem to be the minority in that catagory here) I think all of that info is important. I think it possible that someone else was going to pay for the room and other expenses that may have occured on this what seemed to be long vacation. I find it hard to believe that Maura was going to kill herself when she was possibly pregnant. Maura may have decided to start over with her child all by herself. Maura was a very pretty girl and I don't find it too hard to believe that she found a man to take care of her.

On the other hand maybe Maura was abducted by a man and killed and buried and we will never find her. I wonder what the odds are that this actually happened. I know girls who jog the same dark path night after night and although not smart in my book they do it over and over with never a problem. This would make it real easy for someone to abduct them since they have a pattern that someone could follow. There was no pattern in Maura's case. It was a chance happening on a dark cold night on a very secluded road.

The main ingredient in any of these scenarios is there needs to be a "killer present in the area to begin with". Some may argue that maybe the man who picked Maura up on the side of the road was not a serial killer, but because he had the oppertunity to maybe rape and or kill her he took it. The problem I have with that is it could be assumed that just about any man could be a cold blooded killer given the right circumstances. I obviously do not believe that to be the case.

http://southshorexpress.com/extras/special-reports/48-maura-is-missing-part-i-the-departure.html

Here is the chronology, and pretty much what is known about the phone call. This quotation is from the Hansen Express article linked above. There is another article somewhere with just Sharon Rausch and Linda Salamone, which says pretty much the same thing. The Disappeared episode is a third source of the same account.

Just before 1 p.m. she called Dominic and Linda Salamone, a couple who own a rental condominium at the Seasons at Attitash Resort in Bartlett, New Hampshire. Maura's family, which frequented the Bartlett area, had stayed at the Seasons, though never at this condominium.
The Salamones don't remember the conversation with Maura but they are certain she did not book their condominium. To do so on such short notice would have been impossible, explained Linda Salamone. "We don't operate like a hotel." Rentals must be booked far in advance in order for the Salamones to drop a key in the mail.
The call to the Salamones lasted about three minutes, records show. Linda Salamone speculates she might have offered Maura recommendations on other places to stay, though her memory was foggy by the time police finally interviewed her - nearly a year after Maura went missing…..
At 2:05 p.m. Maura made a five-minute call to 1-800-GOSTOWE, where hotel bookings can be made. The "Go Stowe" system was actually out of order at this time so Maura could not have made a reservation and could only listen to voice recordings.

Because there was an 8-month gap between the 2/9 call and Sharon Rausch's contact with Linda Salamone, we are in the position where we don't know for sure what was said, e.g., if Maura told Linda she was meeting someone else, how long she planned to stay, etc. We do know that the Murrays had stayed in the same condo complex (but not the Salamone condo) and we know (likely) that the Salamones have to have enough notice to mail a key. We also know that Maura tried the Go Stowe 800 number but it was down. So we can surmise she wanted to make a reservation and probably preferred a place that was known to her (maybe because she had an idea of how to get there).

I am sure there are and were a number listings of resort rentals on the internet for
Bartlett and Stowe. We don't know how Maura got the number for the Salamones, but I am sure LE does if she used the internet. The NH state police, however, didn't care to know what Maura might have said to one identified person she spoke to about the trip. Just sayin'.

I think it's very possible she was planning to meet someone. I don't think it's that track coach - my guess is his whereabouts have been thoroughly checked out -

So, if you think she was going to meet someone, then that someone killed her. Otherwise, obviously, if one of her acquaintances went missing at the exact time she did to lead a secret life, we'd know about it.

What would be a possible motive for a rendezvous guy to kill her? If she was pregnant, it seems the paternity of the baby is wide open here - I can't see a motive to kill a girl you were going to spend the weekend with.

The rates may not have been listed when she looked at the website 8 years ago. The internet has changed since then.

Good point. The web page in 2004 was probably different.

Stranger abduction and murder is relatively rare. Most of the women who "disappear" are murdered by husbands, boyfriends, exes, acquaintances, etc. Some are targets of opportunity--I mentioned Kristi Cornwell, Rachel Louise Cooke, Chandra Levy and others who were jogging. Other women have been abducted out of parking lots, etc. A woman on the road, alone in the dark and cold, in an unfamiliar place with no transportation is vulnerable. That does not mean every man is a potential threat. It means that there are predators and sex offenders in any community and a woman alone in a deserted area is a target. A decent man (school bus driver) would try to help her. A bad man would try to harm her. The problem is that she would have no way of telling the two apart. And think of how many women have a car break down or run out of gas and get help from someone, no problems, no story in the paper--we don't hear about them. The ones who disappear are the ones we know about.

I think it's very possible she was planning to meet someone. I don't think it's that track coach - my guess is his whereabouts have been thoroughly checked out -

So, if you think she was going to meet someone, then that someone killed her. Otherwise, obviously, if one of her acquaintances went missing at the exact time she did to lead a secret life, we'd know about it.

What would be a possible motive for a rendezvous guy to kill her? If she was pregnant, it seems the paternity of the baby is wide open here - I can't see a motive to kill a girl you were going to spend the weekend with.

I can't answer for everyone, but I think she died from hypothermia, accident or a local creep took her life. I've been looking at other possibilities as more info comes in from Renner's blog. I want to stay open minded, because I don't know her, and there isn't a lot of info on the case. I don't want to come to any conclusion, because I could be missing something. Sometimes I write a theory, which I'm not totally convinced on, so I can get feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine