GUILTY NY - Ayana Evans, 9, & Lorna Williams, 42, fatally shot, Mount Vernon, 7 Jan 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
what a "man" to shoot his daughter & her babysitter. :furious:

MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. — A man shot and killed his 9-year-old daughter and her baby sitter at the girl's suburban home in New York before walking out the front door and surrendering to officers, the police chief said Friday.

Mount Vernon police Chief Barbara Duncan said that the girl's mother, a registered nurse, was at work when she called police at about 10:36 p.m. on Thursday to ask them to go to their house because she had been having an argument with her husband on the phone.

The nature of the argument was not disclosed.

As police officers arrived at the house, they heard a banging sound like a screen door being closed at the back of the house, and thewoman's husband walked out and surrendered, the police chief said.

Inside the home, officers found the child and the 42-year-old woman in separate rooms on the second floor, Duncan said. The child, identified as Ayana Evans, had been shot in the torso; the baby sitter, Lorna Williams of Florida, was shot in the side of the head.

more here

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/ny-cops-girl-sitter-270411.html

RIP little Ayana & Lorna :(

ETA: link to mugshot of the coward http://www.wcbs880.com/Cops--Dad-Fatally-Shot-Child--Babysitter/6070664

TM,

This is all too sad. I was looking and couldn't find any new information on this case. Save for photographs of a father who would murder his own child.

I'm wondering if the babysitter who was from Florida came up to help?

Bless this little girl and this woman. Prayers for Ayana's mom.

That's just tragic. Time was little girls could trust that their Dads wouldn't shoot them and their nannies. My heart just goes out to this Mom. How do you know when someone's going to snap?

I know many don't agree, but in the words of Cheryl Wheeler:

If It Were Up to Me

Maybe it's the movies, maybe it's the books

Maybe it's the bullets, maybe it's the real crooks

Maybe it's the drugs, maybe it's the parents

Maybe it's the colors everybody's wearin'

Maybe it's the president, maybe it's the last one

Maybe it's the one before that, what he done

Maybe it's the high schools, maybe it's the teachers

Maybe it's the tattooed children in the bleachers

Maybe it's the Bible, maybe it's the lack

Maybe it's the music, maybe it's the crack

Maybe it's the hairdos, maybe it's the TV

Maybe it's the cigarettes, maybe it's the family

Maybe it's the fast food, maybe it's the news

Maybe it's divorce, maybe it's abuse

Maybe it's the lawyers, maybe it's the prisons

Maybe it's the Senators, maybe it's the system

Maybe it's the fathers, maybe it's the sons

Maybe it's the sisters, maybe it's the moms

Maybe it's the radio, maybe it's road rage

Maybe El Nino, or UV rays

Maybe it's the army, maybe it's the liquor

Maybe it's the papers, maybe the militia

Maybe it's the athletes, maybe it's the ads

Maybe it's the sports fans, maybe it's a fad

Maybe it's the magazines, maybe it's the Internet

Maybe it's the lottery, maybe it's the immigrants

Maybe it's taxes, big business

Maybe it's the KKK and the skinheads

Maybe it's the communists, maybe it's the Catholics

Maybe it's the hippies, maybe it's the addicts

Maybe it's the art, maybe it's the sex

Maybe it's the homeless, maybe it's the banks

Maybe it's the clearcut, maybe it's the ozone

Maybe it's the chemicals, maybe it's the car phone

Maybe it's the fertilizer, maybe it's the nose rings

Maybe it's the end, but I know one thing.

If it were up to me, I'd take away the guns.

TM,

This is all too sad. I was looking and couldn't find any new information on this case. Save for photographs of a father who would murder his own child.

I'm wondering if the babysitter who was from Florida came up to help?

Bless this little girl and this woman. Prayers for Ayana's mom.

Filly
, I read here http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7207393 that she'd come up from FL.

MissIzzy, I wish it were as "simple" as getting rid of guns...but I honestly believe it wouldn't stop these vicious, out of control ex/estranged/husbands & boyfriends.....I've just read too many stories about them & their bats to beat them, knives to stab them, and various methods of strangulations, or drowning them alive (like Christopher Longo).

It's evil that needs to be eradicated, IMO....how do we legislate against that?

MissIzzy, I wish it were as "simple" as getting rid of guns...but I honestly believe it wouldn't stop.... (snip)

It's evil that needs to be eradicated, IMO....how do we legislate against that?

Here Here! Excellent statement. I agree. And I was once a dedicated gun-control proponent, haha. No more. Too many criminals and crazies. These days, unfortunately, guns do save lives when nothing else can.

I'm well aware that most, if not all of you, realize that I've never represented myself as anything but a bleeding heart liberal. Of course, I know that people can be killed with a stick, a pocket knife, or bare hands. I just believe that all too often, someone who is enraged has ready access to a gun. If we took away the guns, we'd save some victims. We can't save them all but I've always been of the Starfish mentality. I don't want to argue as I fully respect all of your positions.

I can truthfully say that if I had come upon the monster who raped my children AND I had a gun, I would have whacked him upside the head with it. I wouldn't have shot him. I can't each chicken, for heaven's sake. I was raised a pacifist and I'll die one. I don't think anything would push me to violence that would kill or maim. Now hurt a good bit.....yes. I used to dream of "bumping" him with my car, just enough to knock him down. That, even shamed me terribly.

I respect you all and your positions, though....greatly.

Another story of a parent killing their child. Enough is enough! If you are mad at your spouse, then be mad at your spouse!! Don't kill your innocent child!!

The article states that he did not live with them. I hope whatever the argument was about, sheds some light on this sad case. Prayers for the mother.

I'm well aware that most, if not all of you, realize that I've never represented myself as anything but a bleeding heart liberal. Of course, I know that people can be killed with a stick, a pocket knife, or bare hands. I just believe that all too often, someone who is enraged has ready access to a gun. If we took away the guns, we'd save some victims. We can't save them all but I've always been of the Starfish mentality. I don't want to argue as I fully respect all of your positions.

I can truthfully say that if I had come upon the monster who raped my children AND I had a gun, I would have whacked him upside the head with it. I wouldn't have shot him. I can't each chicken, for heaven's sake. I was raised a pacifist and I'll die one. I don't think anything would push me to violence that would kill or maim. Now hurt a good bit.....yes. I used to dream of "bumping" him with my car, just enough to knock him down. That, even shamed me terribly.

I respect you all and your positions, though....greatly.

I enjoy your posts so much. I don't think I could kill anyone either; unless, of course, I was defending my children or myself. I have one gun in the house. It was my great-grandfather's and will go to my son someday. It is in three pieces in three different parts of the house- attic, paintshop and basement. However, I too, fully respect those whom see it necessary to own a gun. I'm sorry this woman didn't have one AND the courage to use it. No child should ever die.........especially at the hands of a parent.

UPDATE

I wish ALL sentences could be this long

http://www.westchesterda.net/pressreleases/110322mvsent.htm

Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore announced that Darrell Evans (DOB 11/22/59) of 8 Ellwood Avenue, Mount Vernon, New York was sentenced today to two consecutive terms of twenty years to life in state prison on his guilty plea to:

two counts of Murder in the Second Degree, class “A” Felonies.

The 40 years to life sentence will be served consecutive to a two year federal sentence the defendant is currently serving on a 2008 mail fraud conviction.

On January 7, 2010 the defendant and Joan Whitfield were having an argument on the telephone.

The defendant told her he was going to kill both the babysitter and their daughter Ayana Evans. Whitfield then called the Mt. Vernon Police Department to alert them to defendant’s threats.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back