The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess "Anything" they do is better than nothing though....Right!! I have to say, I think its great that people "Outside" the area are looking at the case. May be a fresh set of eyes on the case files will be what it takes to finally bring some closure to this case.

I wonder how we can follow their progress on this. Wonder how long it will be before we hear anything about what they figured out......?

I guess "Anything" they do is better than nothing though....Right!! I have to say, I think its great that people "Outside" the area are looking at the case. May be a fresh set of eyes on the case files will be what it takes to finally bring some closure to this case.

I wonder how we can follow their progress on this. Wonder how long it will be before we hear anything about what they figured out......?

The latest I have gleaned is that it is unlikely that much will come of this. It seems as though the consensus is that it will take a confession or a witness to come forward. I'm not encouraged.

If it were up to me I would wish that the SPD would hold a news conference and open this up to as many questions as may be asked and allow the public in on how the case is progressing or not progressing. At this point what is there to be lost or gained? At least it might put to bed the notion that there is any foot dragging. Whatever there needs to be a whole new direction about how to approach this case for whatever has gone before hasn't produced anything other than hope which is quickly dashed when nothing is forthcoming. And we have to be aware that witnesses are going to be dying off in increasing numbers in the future. So if for no other reason time is of the essence.

20 Year Remembrance Ceremony on June 7th at 6 a.m. at the Victim's Memorial Garden at Phelps Grove Park in Springfield as we remember the lives that are still missing, but not nearly forgotten.

May 2, 2012

Missing women
inquiry goes on in
Springfield

Forget all the rumors you’ve heard.

“You may be that person sitting there with
that piece of information that we need,”
said Springfield Police Lt. David Millsap. He
believes someone who has yet to come
forward has the pivotal tip to solve the 20-
year-old case of the “three missing
women.”

After a year-and-a-half review of the
disappearances, police are ready to start a
new wave of investigation and they are
asking you for help.

“I want people to reach back in their
memory,” he said...(Snip)

http://www.news-leader.com/article/...field-three-missing-women-case-police-inquiry

'One Missing Link' Event For 3 Missing Women Promotes Memory, Hope

By: Laurie Patton

Updated: June 2, 2012

(Springfield) -- It's been twenty years since three Springfield women vanished.

While the case is still unsolved, one local organization was founded to ensure that people don't forget or give up hope.

Janis McCall is the mother of Stacy McCall, one of the three women that disappeared.
18 years ago Janis founded One Missing Link. The name comes from the search of the missing piece of the puzzle the families and law enforcement think could help this case. It's a non-profit organization that helps reunite the missing with their families and the event today is a reminder that the community is not giving up on the case of the three missing women.

"20 years ago is just a number, but knowing that 20 years has changed her so much that I wouldn't even recognize her. That's what hurts," said McCall.

Janis McCall has spent the past twenty years searching for her daughter Stacey, her friend and her friend's mother who disappeared without a trace from a Springfield home in 1992.

Today she is still hopeful she'll find the one missing link.

"We want the community to know we appreciate them just as much and those that love and care for Suzie and Stacy and Sherrill," said McCall.

And to show appreciation, more than 30 motorcycle riders rode in the one missing link's annual motorcycle ride. A 98 mile ride from Springfield to Fellows Lake.

"It reminds people every year that there are lots of people missing and it's not just the three missing women its people everywhere," said McCall.

One missing link works along side the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to help find and reunite the missing with their families. According to NCMEC's website, from 1984 through march 2012 it has assisted law enforcement in recovering more than 175, 200 children and today's ride is for the community to remember there are still more missing...

(Snip)

http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=654002

I read on another board that a different serial killer has confessed to knowing that five women are buried in the Mark Twain national forest (I believe this is close to where I grew up in Southeast Missouri) and three of them are from Springfield. I don't think I am allowed to say where I read this or provide a link though.

Interesting. There were skeletal remains found in the park back in 2004. They were ID'ed as belonging to Rebecca Sutton. I don't think that case has been solved yet that I know of.

I read somewhere that there was a belief that there were bodies buried in a local hospital car park. Is this true, and if so was it deemed credible and did anyone ever look.

It seems so strange that nothing concrete has ever been found. These were three grown, and fairly physically fit women at home and near neighbours. There cannot be that many scenarios where they could just disappear. I read one of them was only wearing her PJs and the cars where there so I would assume that indicates they did not leave the house of their own free will. The only way I can think of getting three grown women out of the house without a struggle in their PJs is if they were threatened with a gun or something, or alternatively they were outnumbered and the kidnappers managed to subdue them before the could make too much noise and alert the neighbours.
One thing I read that struck me was the fact the place, including the daughter's bedroom were found neat and tidy with clothe flded up on the bed. maybe I am just a slob, but if that is true it does not seem quite right. two teenage girls getting home late at night after a celebratory party do not seem the most likely candidates to be folding their clothes up before going to bed. most teenagers would just dump them on the floor. ,aybe someone else tidied up after they were taken.

Also why break the porch light. i can see the idea of making it dark there, but why risk alerting them with the noise instead of just unscrewing the bulb?

20 years today. Pardon the cliché, but it doesn't seem possible - that it's been 20 years, and that this case has stayed unsolved.

I read somewhere that there was a belief that there were bodies buried in a local hospital car park. Is this true, and if so was it deemed credible and did anyone ever look.

It seems so strange that nothing concrete has ever been found. These were three grown, and fairly physically fit women at home and near neighbours. There cannot be that many scenarios where they could just disappear. I read one of them was only wearing her PJs and the cars where there so I would assume that indicates they did not leave the house of their own free will. The only way I can think of getting three grown women out of the house without a struggle in their PJs is if they were threatened with a gun or something, or alternatively they were outnumbered and the kidnappers managed to subdue them before the could make too much noise and alert the neighbours.
One thing I read that struck me was the fact the place, including the daughter's bedroom were found neat and tidy with clothe flded up on the bed. maybe I am just a slob, but if that is true it does not seem quite right. two teenage girls getting home late at night after a celebratory party do not seem the most likely candidates to be folding their clothes up before going to bed. most teenagers would just dump them on the floor. ,aybe someone else tidied up after they were taken.

Also why break the porch light. i can see the idea of making it dark there, but why risk alerting them with the noise instead of just unscrewing the bulb?

The parking lot garage theory has been largely discounted.

I would think that the porch globe (not the bulb) was broken at the time the women were taken.

A consensus is developing that this was a single perpetrator (who actually abducted the women.) He probably had a weapon.

This should clear up a some of the questions.

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-vigil-e...women-in-springfield-20120606,0,7598459.story

...(Snip)

"The kidnapper clearly spent a considerable amount of time out and about from late at night on Saturday, June 6, 1992, into the morning of Sunday, June 7, 1992. The kidnapper had to have been unaccounted for at the time of the crime. Someone who knew or lived with the kidnapper in 1992 likely would have been aware of this fact. In addition, in order to explain his whereabouts on the night of the crime, the kidnapper may have fabricated a story regarding his activities.

Around the time of the crime, the kidnapper may have spent a considerable amount of time in, or may otherwise have been familiar with, the area of the crime, and he may have frequently been out and about at odd hours. The kidnapper also may have developed an interest in the victims.

People who know the kidnapper may not believe he is capable of committing this type of crime, and he may not have a history of committing crimes of violence"

... (Snip)

Additional info:

http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=654702

20 years today. Pardon the cliché, but it doesn't seem possible - that it's been 20 years, and that this case has stayed unsolved.

I just read an article about the anniversary. Although they have no new clues, they are hoping modern technology (website tip lines, fb pages and the like) will bring in something new. All this case needs is the perp to let something "slip" and someone to report it.

I just read an article about the anniversary. Although they have no new clues, they are hoping modern technology (website tip lines, fb pages and the like) will bring in something new. All this case needs is the perp to let something "slip" and someone to report it.

That's going to be real tough. They (before and after the fact) know they will go the death house if they let anything slip. One of the individuals in the know needs to turn state's evidence and cut a deal. I'm relatively certain the police know who did it. One of them (with information) has no incentive as he will never get out of prison, and he's said not to be talking, last I heard. The others; I don't know. Maybe. They need a confession.

That's going to be real tough. They (before and after the fact) know they will go the death house if they let anything slip. One of the individuals in the know needs to turn state's evidence and cut a deal. I'm relatively certain the police know who did it. One of them (with information) has no incentive as he will never get out of prison, and he's said not to be talking, last I heard. The others; I don't know. Maybe. They need a confession.

yeah, I pretty much agree but there have been some lucky incidents where someone close to the perp FINALLY realizes something was strange about him/her in regards to that night and then reports it. IDK, I just wish this was solved.
So why do you think LE knows who did this? I read this thread a long time ago and have forgotten a lot.

yeah, I pretty much agree but there have been some lucky incidents where someone close to the perp FINALLY realizes something was strange about him/her in regards to that night and then reports it. IDK, I just wish this was solved.

So why do you think LE knows who did this? I read this thread a long time ago and have forgotten a lot.

There are a group of us who have followed this case for a long time and bits and pieces of information lead some to this conclusion. I can't be more definitive than that but I believe it to be so.

I am not clear on the motive but I do agree this was more likely than not a sexual assault case. Just exactly how the women were taken is not clear to me absent physical evidence. I suppose it is possible they were enticed out upon facing a weapon. I've long wondered how that door got open. Perhaps the "ruse" theory explains it.

This is another program on a local channel.

http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=656052

BeckySchulz-Donnelly left a message tonight in the splfd news and leader. Odd.

I need to go back and review. Have forgotten so much about this case. Trying to remember the name of the guy who had an upcoming case about that time who was in trouble for something he did in a graveyard. Did anyone get any info re his involvement in the satanic cultures. Murder is their highest power you know. Shedding blood in taking a life. Three would be even more power. Just thinking in the early morning hours.
karen

I need to go back and review. Have forgotten so much about this case. Trying to remember the name of the guy who had an upcoming case about that time who was in trouble for something he did in a graveyard. Did anyone get any info re his involvement in the satanic cultures. Murder is their highest power you know. Shedding blood in taking a life. Three would be even more power. Just thinking in the early morning hours.
karen

Clay Recla was one of the grave robbers. They were stealing gold fillings and pawning the gold. He had been Suzie's boyfriend at the time and she was to testify at the trial, but disappeared.

^Wrong actually it was "Dustin Recla" And his friends Michael Clay and Joseph Reidel (who's since changed his name).

I feel like we need to look at Steven Eugene Garrison and his associates. Garrison is obviously a part of the GJ3. One other one knew him and the third probably did too.

I feel like we need to look at Steven Eugene Garrison and his associates. Garrison is obviously a part of the GJ3. One other one knew him and the third probably did too.
I think that is a good idea but should we also look at the grave robbers as well; in particular one of them of whom we apparently know little? As I recall, at least one person failed the polygraph. That name has never been revealed.

It is my opinion that one of these possible suspects was able to talk their way into the house or get the front door opened in the middle of the night.

We have, for the first time, a rather specific description of one male whose whereabouts were unaccounted for during those hours. That person surely must have been known to one of the women since there is no evidence of forced entry. It is, however, possible the door was left unlocked or that the perp got in as the girls arrived home. However, the fact they made ready for bed argues against that possibility, unless, of course one or more of them knew him, although logically they wouldn't have been in night clothes with him in the living room.

Thanks all, for posting these links of the latest on this investigation. For some long time followers of this case, allow me to backtrack a touch. To me, this video was interesting and colored my thinking on the case a little.

http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=656512

For one, it appears the house was carpeted. I was under the impression, at least most of the house, was hardwood floors. I know in recent years that’s what the pictures show, but this is several owners later. In June of 1992, is that brown carpeting I’m seeing ?

I seem to recall some text talking about a ‘spotless house.’ While it isn’t messy, some of the video shows an ‘unkept house,’ as it would appear to me. However, this video was shot after a zoo of people had been in and out of the house, so, to me, I have no idea.

I’m intrigued by the tone of the story and talk of ‘technology’ breaking the deadlock. Mule, if you are correct, police know who did this, then they’ve just had the trouble of being able to prove how, who and why to a critical defense and before a jury. It would seem to answer my question about evidence being sequestered which was not much made note of at the time.

DNA is often the star of these things. While that may not do it here, I would hope they don’t let this slip through their fingers like the Bob Crane case. In 1978, when he was murdered, DNA didn’t exist. When the case was reopened and tried in the early 90‘s, even though DNA did exist, it wasn’t as sophisticated as today, the blood samples collected from Carpenter’s rental car were insufficient, although the blood type was the same as Crane’s.

But, the given story opens with the saved messages on the answering machine. I didn’t know any survived. I’m unclear as to when Ms. McCall made these calls and if the ‘guests’ in the house heard the phone ring and/or if anybody offered to answer. I’ve always been fuzzy on the timeline after discovery. Which, speaking of, the story very assertively places the window of abduction from 2:30 to 8 AM. Has it always been that late ? Is this where the contemporary thought is ? Or, just a contemporary reporter’s oversight. I have no trouble accepting a later time, but I’ve never seen it actually reported anywhere that I can recall.

Back to the message machine. It would appear that cassette tape presumably is among stash of old evidence. As everyone knows giving away an old computer, 'clean your harddrive throughly,’ which is more involved than delete/write over. That tape with contemporary scientific labs can uncover all sorts of treasures, more than just messages 'accidently erased’ that morning.

Thanks all...keep the updates coming !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member