GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe we need to send flowers, or at least a THANK YOU to the neighbor who was observant and called this in so quickly. Without that quick action and care helped to find this as quickly as they did. It didn't save her but it could have.

Even before there was an Amber Alert as soon as the plate number came in everyone in the area was looking. There are not that many ways in or out of Springfield. Everyone, even aside of LE was looking,

In this particular case, the Amber Alert wasn't the make it or break it on the outcome. It was the neighbor. These are my opinions.

On KSPR it says that authorities are on their way to Dutch Maid Laundry at Elm Street and National. Any ideas why??

in 15 minutes KSPR will have more news on the new location in regards to Dutch Maid Laundry

from presser:

Hailey's family has said her body has been found

LE has not confirmed that her body has been found

LE has been searching over night for Hailey, but no confirmation.

11am another press conference

Police & FBI are investigating

Craig Michael Wood employed August 18, 1998 with public school system, he was hired full time in 2006, prior to that he was a temp employee and substitute teacher. He also worked in athletics. Trying to confirm how many sports he was connected to, he was not connected to the school Hailey attended.

Fundraiser at Culvers, and memorial set up at Empire Bank.

Saturday there is a vigil, candlelight march on C street.

I know what we can do, as a society! It's cruel and unusual but this situation has blossomed in the last couple of generations. There are ten or twenty times MORE pedophiles on the streets today than there were some years ago. This is an epidemic and needs to be treated as such. I said in an earlier post that one pervert has dozens or even over 100 victims before being caught ( source: gavin de becker ) . Once a child is abused , their own odds of becoming a predator increase. ( not saying all but their odds certainly do increase . i do not believe very many pedophiles are not victims themselves in childhood, Mooo ) So let's just make up a number and say in 1950 there were 100 predators of children in the US ( made up number, obviously no bearing on reality) . If those 100 had 100 victims each and 50% of their victims became predators themselves, then it's easy to see how we got to this point today. Every time a group of child victims reach adult hood, and 50% of them are becoming predators themselves , then every 12 to 18 yrs , roughly, the amount of predators on teh street is increasing by 1000% ? ( math is not my strong suit)

I think sex crimes need to be removed from the criminal statues as they are today and given their own category. A first time robber of gum at a convenience store I can see getting probation and another chance. A first time molester of a child I do not think needs probation and a second chance. There is no study anywhere that I have ever heard of that says a pedophile can be rehabilitated . It cannot be done. Judges, lawyers, LEO's, KNOW this so why are first time offenders treated like first time possession of weed offenders?
I also think when a SO is picked up , that person should be able to press charges on their own molester from childhood. It would not reduce their sentence at all, but only bring in a few more sickos. Whoever molested them as a child is STILL molesting some child somewhere so they need off the street as well.
Would any of that help ? Thoughts?

ETA , I made up the numbers above just for demonstration but I swear I read somewhere years ago that over 95 % of all pedophiles were themselves victims. I do not have a source but given how the mind works, I would not be surprised at all if those numbers were true.

ETA Not to be confused with 95% of victims will become predators( which is not true ) ... two totally TOTALLY different things here.

I don't know if its true that pedophilia is increasing, or that it's reported more nowadays. But either way, a great improvement has been increased awareness, and the ability to talk about it and confront it openly. When I was a kid in the 80s, there was always a creepy old dude that kids would know and warn each other about. Or the flasher down at the bus station. Or the guys on busses/subway who grope women or teens. And yes, the abusers in our own families. But adults NEVER talked about it hardly. It wasn't on the news. I remember how shocking it was to hear the afternoon talk shows like Oprah, Donahue, Geraldo, Sally Jesse, having shows about sexual abuse, pedophilia, sex crimes, etc. Say what we will, or snicker about some of them, but they really helped break the ice about just being able to openly, publicly acknowledge these crimes.

I think the best thing we can keep doing is talk about it and REPORT things that are suspicious. Keep a close eye on the dude that looks a bit too long at the little kids. Teach our kids to scream - not just tell an adult later - if someone touches them. Talk to friends if we feel something is "off" about someone - you never know if someone else has gotten the same impression/saw the same type thing. Not doubt ourselves so much.

Because all the long sentences and death penalties in the world don't seem to stop these POSs. I guarantee this guy has a history of either child *advertiser censored* or prior acts on children, and someone must have noticed something "off" along the way.

Keep talking about it, everyone. That's all I can see to do. :sigh:

I agree! I honestly don't think the witnesses could have done anything more. While they saw the vehicle and saw the abduction, I get the impression that they were not RIGHT THERE, that they were in their garage a little down from where everything transpired.

That they were able to get the license tag and a description and called so quickly is amazing to me. I don't think I could have done so. I tend to freeze in emergency situations. They did everything right in my book!

As they say, hindsight is always 20/20. It's so easy to look back and think of all the things they could have done differently or imagine how we would have done it differently ourselves. But considering the state of shock they must have been in, and how fast it all happened (he stated it all went down in the span of about 10 seconds), I think they handled it as best they could in the spur of the moment.

True for the "only seconds to grab her", but by the witnesses own statements they were sitting in a nearby garage in plain view of the Wood and the victim prior to him stopping. The witness and his wife also stated they had time to hear the "conversation" between Woods and the victim. So not exactly an instantaneous stop, grab, and run.

There's plenty in the scenario that this was not anyone the witness knew. I still believe had the witness hollered and ran towards Wood, things are likely to have ended quite different.

Maybe they knew him from school,(which may explain how the police knew who they were looking for so fast ) knew he was a Teacher and at that moment didn't see it as a high risk.. maybe it took a few moments to realize what was going on and by that point it was too late..As far as what should have been done, No one knows what they will do when faced with a crisis or how they will act until it is staring them in the face JMO

What a sick . Someone who was in a position of authority,
and abused it. His place of employment must be in shock and tears.

So very sad for this sweet little girl.

HAP, that's what pedophiles do. They often work or volunteer so they are around children.

This creep is a TEACHER OR COACH! :banghead:

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone that loved Haley. My heart breaks for this little one. WHY -do these monsters have to harm the children in this country. My God, will it ever end ?

http://www.greenecountymo.org/sheriff/offender.php?id=1401084073
Greene County, MO - Sheriff -- Offender Information: WOOD, CRAIG MICHAEL

Snipped:

picture.php

Charges

Warrant No
PC 14-6392

Offense Type
F

Offense Description
MURDER 1ST 565.020

Bond Amount

Court Date/Time
12/12/2030 -- 12:00 AM

Did I read that court date correctly--his first court date is in 2030? So much for swift justice. (Maybe they're hoping he'll find it while incarcerated, without the system's help?)

On KSPR it says that authorities are on their way to Dutch Maid Laundry at Elm Street and National. Any ideas why??

Possibly washed his clothing there after the murder - getting rid of evidence?

IMO, this horrendous crime took place under just the right circumstances for this sorry excuse for a human being to be captured and this poor child was STILL found deceased! This proves, in my mind, how time is of the essence in kidnap cases. I wonder if he did, indeed, murder her right away (as it seems) or if he "injured" her and left her to die in the cold? Oh....this just pains me to even ask these questions! Cases like this stir up things in my soul that I'm not proud of..ugh!

Whenever these cases happen, I feel like they are just swept under the rug nationally. National News (Other than a few shows on HLN) barely cover them like they should. When a child is missing and it is believed to be a stranger abduction, that deserves round the clock coverage. They should not let up until everyone knows about the case and what to look for.

As soon as the Amber Alert went out I saw way too many people complaining and saying Amber Alerts aren't "news" because they happen every day. That Amber Alerts are annoying. That they should just be ignored, etc. Yes, Amber Alerts happen frequently, although not really in my opinion. But a lot of them are family abductions. I know how serious those can be, but they are not on the same level as stranger abductions - usually. People need to be reminded just how serious these cases are.

Just my rant, because I'm annoyed that these cases don't get as much coverage as Miley twerking.

Did I read that court date correctly--his first court date is in 2030? So much for swift justice. (Maybe they're hoping he'll find it while incarcerated, without the system's help?)

Thats got to be a system error or a random date. 12/12/2030 at midnight? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member