LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75

Status
Not open for further replies.
shadowangel said:
The news articles mention the Plaquemines (don't have a clue how that's pronounced) Parish authorities were distributing posters with the young man's description. I have found the sheriff dep'ts website, I am going to e-mail them to see if they are willing to share any info.
As I mentioned on my post of 11/15, I was planning to call the sheriff's department. However, I hit a dead end when I called, so I e-mailed Sheriff Hingle early last week and have not heard anything from them. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Richard said:
It does sound unusual, although there was another more recent case very similar to it a few years back. As I recall, the other case involved a young man who left no note, but hanged himself in a wooded areal. I think that one was eventually solved, however.
You may be thinking of the young man who hanged himself in a wooded area of either North Carolina or Virginia 6-7 years back. He had left no note and had no ID on him. Initially police were clueless since no one matching his description had been reporting missing but eventually he was linked to a car with Quebec plates that had been found abandonned in the area. FBI confirmed someone matching his description had been reported missing in Canada and positive idea was made. According to his relatives he knew no one in the area and it remains unclear why he drove that far just to kill himself. If I recall well I had read this story in a Charlotte NC or Richmond VA paper. It had struck me as very odd behavior and the story in this thread immediately reminded me of that case.

I still find this case so intriguing, so I thought I'd bump it up. The nature of this young man's suicide note, in particular, seems so unusual. I was never able to make contact with any law enforcement members, but that was several months ago. When I have the time, I will try again to see if I can talk to anyone about this case.

don't give up on it, their parish was hard hit by katrina ( you won't ever hear about it though, it seems as though N.O. east was the only area hit by katina but you arent here for my katrina soapbox) so I am assuming they are short deputies and over worked right now so keep on checking with them.

This is indeed a very intriguing case!

I can't find a listing for the unidentified teenager on the Doe Network for Louisiana. (See http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/uid-geo-index.html#LA)

The LSU FACES Lab site doesn't seem to have a record, either. (See http://www.lsu.edu/faceslab/unidentified/unidentified.htm)

I wonder if the writing/language/handwriting in the suicide note can be compared to any of Corlew's writings that his parents' may have saved?

Where else can one look for information on the description of the unidentified teen's body? I guess if you can get any assistance/details from LE in Louisiana, Marilynilpa, that would be wonderful.

From Corlew's profile on the Doe Network, this section is interesting:
Also in 1992, his brother Michael received a telephone call from someone mimicking cartoon character voices, which Michael and Perry used to do. The caller asked Michael what he thought of the voices, but hung up without identifying himself.
Could be a cruel prank, but makes me wonder...

Those are some good thoughts, thanks. Just like you, I also checked various websites dealing with missing people and found nothing that seemed to fit. Although the suicide occurred in Louisiana, it's possible this young man lived elsewhere, which makes it even harder to figure out who he might be.

The content of his suicide note makes me think he may have committed (or thought about committing) a crime that weighed heavily on him, leading to the suicide.

I hope to be able to dedicate more time to this perplexing case in the near future, and will definitely post any info I come across.

maima said:
This is indeed a very intriguing case!

I can't find a listing for the unidentified teenager on the Doe Network for Louisiana. (See http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/uid-geo-index.html#LA)

The LSU FACES Lab site doesn't seem to have a record, either. (See http://www.lsu.edu/faceslab/unidentified/unidentified.htm)

I wonder if the writing/language/handwriting in the suicide note can be compared to any of Corlew's writings that his parents' may have saved?

Where else can one look for information on the description of the unidentified teen's body? I guess if you can get any assistance/details from LE in Louisiana, Marilynilpa, that would be wonderful.

From Corlew's profile on the Doe Network, this section is interesting: Could be a cruel prank, but makes me wonder...

It's been a while since I've visited this thread. I'm am still so intrigued by this poor young man's suicide.

I looked at the Doe Network listing for Perry Otto Corlew (1259dmmi) to see if there was an update indicating that he was the young man found in Louisiana. Unfortunately, Perry Corlew is still listed as a missing person.

I know there are a lot of new WS members since I first posted this, so maybe there will be some new insights or suggestions.

Shortly after Hurricane Katrina struck Louisiana, I called the Sheriff's Department in Plaquemines County. Several weeks later, a very disinterested deputy called to tell me this was not an active investigation and that he didn't believe any records remained on this suicide. Since I had a lot going on at that time, I never did follow up on this. I have just sent them an e-mail and will see if they have time to respond.

Could the age of the suicide victim be wrong? I know age isn't always an easy thing to determine, in life and in death. The wording and ideas in his suicide note seem to be that of someone more mature than a 16-17 year old boy.

Finally, I have contacted NAMUS and will see if I can get him listed on their database.

I don't know how they determine age but if it is by appearance alone I can guarantee you that if I were ever found and unidentified they would classify me as a teenager or pre-teen even though I am 25. A few years ago I was carded to rent a rated R movie. I get the stink-eye if I try to buy liqour. lol

I don't know how they determine age but if it is by appearance alone I can guarantee you that if I were ever found and unidentified they would classify me as a teenager or pre-teen even though I am 25. A few years ago I was carded to rent a rated R movie. I get the stink-eye if I try to buy liqour. lol

They usually tell from the wisdom teeth of a person is in his/or her teens, or if they are older. If the wisdom teeth are emerging but not fully formed, the person is probably a teenager.

Charley project states:

"he had a poor driving record and was on probation for breaking and entering"

He committed a minor hit and run. His car was found 90 minutes afterwards on the side of the highway still running.

You're referring to Perry Corlew, right?

What makes me feel he isn't our unidentified suicide victim is that the suicide note, in my opinion, seems to refer more to a fear of the worsening of a psychological problem (or perceived problem) than fear of the repercussions of leaving the scene of an accident while on probation.

John Doe's fingerprints were circulated around the country in 1975 but he was not identified. If this person was Perry Corlew, his fingerprints would be on file with the police due to his prior criminal acts. That also makes me believe he is not John Doe.

If the fingerprints were circulated today, I wonder if there would be a match now that things are computerized.

They usually tell from the wisdom teeth of a person is in his/or her teens, or if they are older. If the wisdom teeth are emerging but not fully formed, the person is probably a teenager.

What if they have been removed or were never there? My mom never had wisdom teeth, and I actually had 6 instead of the normal 4.

I can't help but wonder if the UID's parents ever listed him as missing. Based on the way he wrote they knew him well enough - perhaps they assumed this is what happened or that he went off to start a different life. They knew that, whatever he did, it was what he wanted and it made him happier than the life he was living. Initially when reading the letter I wondered if he was homosexual and felt that he was not welcome in the world or in his family - they have a very high suicide rate.

What if they have been removed or were never there? My mom never had wisdom teeth, and I actually had 6 instead of the normal 4.

My previous answer was off the top of my head, but actually, it's a lot more complicated than just looking at wisdom teeth. The wisdom teeth are only one part of a much more detailed evaluation process.

I did a little googling on the topic, and here it is in a nutshell:

From the age of about five when the permanent teeth start replacing the baby teeth, different teeth begin to emerge and develop at different ages. By the age of about 25, all teeth are fully emerged and developed. To determine age up to the age of 25, the ME looks at different teeth, and assesses which teeth have matured and which teeth have not, and accordingly can determine age within about a three-year range.

Also, the ends of our large bones have growth plates that fuse when the bone is fully grown. The growth plates of different bones fuse at different ages, and from the age of about 11-21, age can be determined based on which growth plates have fused and which ones have not.

The sequence is as follows:
Elbows at age 11 to 13​
Hips at age 13 to 15​
Ankles at age 14 to 16​
Knees at age 15 to 17​
Wrists at age 16 to 18​
Shoulders at age 18 to 21​
The Collarbone (at the sternum) is the last growth plate to fuse at about age 18-21.​

Wow, I hadn't seen this before now, but when I first read the "suicide letter", all I could think of was.....this was not a suicide. Other than the fact that the young man's writing sounds like it was written by someone much older and much more sage, I also hear a bit of something leaning toward incest or something as equally guilt ridden. What makes these folks so sure it WAS a suicide, is this letter the only thing? Letters can be written and forged by anyone with a good brain and good hand. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni