Rescued beagles experience grass & sunlight for the 1st time

HC - Just a thought, and you probably have thought of this already, but you might try using Romi's beagle pack instincts to help him learn to walk on the leash and walk him at the same time with Gracie. That's what we did with Baylor, the male beagle we took in. He had no idea about collars, leashes, etc and at first seemed to feel trapped. I put our female (Darby) on the leash as well and he was happy to walk along with her, and one time of that was all it took. He "got it" and has been really good on the leash ever since. I am no dog trainer and don't play one on TV either, lol, but that really worked quickly for me. :)

Darby and Baylor send beagle kisses to Romi!!

Tally, good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I have been thinking about that, and yes, Romeo does seem like he's feeling trapped. Maybe that will work, but I'd have to take Gracie out for a while first, so she doesn't do shenanigans and scare him even more (she's good on a leash, very good...but them together? I wonder about that...LOL).

I will have to stay in the driveway for a time, because I want him to not have any scary encounters with other dogs/people/squirrels/cars until he's secure with a leash. He's a very forgiving guy, apparently, but too much too fast and I worry.

'Course, he surprised me a lot in the last few weeks, so...I dunno. He may be ready.

Baby steps, I think, though, are the best with him right now. Gracie, well, I kinda just threw her into things. She took it all in stride, and is just fine. He needs a different approach....

Best-
Herding Cats

HC - Just a thought, and you probably have thought of this already, but you might try using Romi's beagle pack instincts to help him learn to walk on the leash and walk him at the same time with Gracie. That's what we did with Baylor, the male beagle we took in. He had no idea about collars, leashes, etc and at first seemed to feel trapped. I put our female (Darby) on the leash as well and he was happy to walk along with her, and one time of that was all it took. He "got it" and has been really good on the leash ever since. I am no dog trainer and don't play one on TV either, lol, but that really worked quickly for me. :)

Darby and Baylor send beagle kisses to Romi!!

I've found starting out appearing to just 'take a walk', then quickly jogging and then to full on running helps too.
They seem to love the 'pack' gaining momentum, and moving fast. :)

Just dropping in... Hope Romi, Gracie, and the heard are doing well.

Herding Cats -- thinking of you and Romeo. I hope your furbabies are all doing well!

They're all good, the herd and the Gracie-boulder and Romeo...I've got a cold, but whatevs; I'll survive. LOL.

No really big thing to report. Romi is getting used to being inside/outside, and recently, has really started exploring the house. I am fairly sure that one morning, I'm going to wake up with a beagle nose in my face...and wouldn't that be wonderful? LOL.

Gracie is busy teaching him all about how to dig holes. Sigh. He's also developed into something of a chewer...not a bad thing, but something which has to be watched so he doesn't eat the tables or sofa. LOL...he loves his sticks outside, will carry it a few steps, throw it in the air, and then pounce on it and run madly around the yard. I've tried to engage him with a ball, but he prefers the stick.

Unfortunately, we're still having NO luck at all with the leash. So I've put that aside for the nonce, and will try again in a few days. He really is scared of it, and pulls back. The look on his face is pure panic, and he doesn't want to come near afterwards. I'll just keep letting him "wear" it, and hoping he'll get used to it.

He is doing better with treats, or at least one treat in particular. The dried/jerkey Duck breast w/ chondroitin and glucosamine seems to be the thing for him...he'll take a strip from my knee if I am not looking, and he goes crazy with it. It's closer than me laying it on the ground and walking away, and I suspect soon he'll take it out of my hand. I'm happy about the progress, because it will make things easier for him in the long run.

Other than that, I think that's all the updates. I do have photos, but now can't seem to figure out how to get them from the camera to the lappie. I'll work on that and see what I can't get accomplished...I don't know why, either. A few weeks ago, I just plugged it in, and let it go. So I've obviously done something, but am not sure what. LOL. Story of my life.

Best-
Herding Cats

Final update for the year 2011...

Little Romi is now approaching me, nudging my hand for pets, and, when I don't pet him long enough, he puts his paw on my arm or leg.

I've gotten several kisses from this lovebug today...very dry (compared to Gracie kisses, everything is dry. LOL), and very, very fast, but definitely deliberate and without question meant.

And, possibly the neatest thing of all, he got to waggin' that white-tipped tail of his so fast that it became a blur. Or maybe that was the tears....but I think it was the speed. The sheer exuberance of that little guy running around with Gracie (when she's not trying to tackle him) is glorious to watch.

None of the cats are bothered by him in the least. They just kinda accept that he's not gonna bother them, and I've caught Malachi and him sharing a food bowl many more times than once. And Eeyore, too. It's very funny to watch, but I never have my camera around.

He has given me his version of a grin several times today, too. Not sure it's a real "smile", but definitely a completely different expression than he had when he got here.

He is totally taking advantage while he's outside to use the potty, too. I still keep the wee-wee pads down, but he's using the proper bushes and spot of lawn for his potty...and I am hoping that soon, he will be pretty much house-broken...and then we'll start on leash-walking. One thing at a time, right?

And, what's about the neatest thing, is he comes a-runnin' for me when I call him over from the back yard jaunts. Just tearing across the yard, and, when he reaches me, he goes up onto his hinds and that tail is going so fast and he's smiling and having fun...I could swear he's hollering "whhhaaaa- hoooooooo!!! This outside thing is pretty cool!" Such a dramatic change from the totally frozen, trembling dog he was...totally, 180* different.

I am sooooo proud of this guy...

Happy New Year to all of Romi's "fan club"...thank you, and the prayers and thoughts you've sent have really made a difference to this guy...and thank you from me, too.

Best-
Herding Cats

BBM

I find it very difficult to believe that Simon is thrilled with this development. I think he's counting now. The cats have a 10-2 advantage, but he's watching that slowly erode away. There's definitely some schimoning going on there, I'd bet dollars to donuts on that.

BTW, I love how you have such a great way with all living things. :blowkiss:

Simon actually slept on the bed with me, while Romeo slept on the other side. No issues.

He may be counting...I wouldn't put it past him. LOL. But I really don't see an issue with Romi and Simon. Things can, and often do, change in a heart beat, though. LOL.

You say I have a way with living things...but really, I dunno. I just figure that love can resolve a lot of problems, so I love as hard as I can...patients, people, animals...and I am so blessed by them it's totally amazing. They all return the love a billion times over, and that makes me feel good. So it's kinda selfish. LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

Simon actually slept on the bed with me, while Romeo slept on the other side. No issues.

He may be counting...I wouldn't put it past him. LOL. But I really don't see an issue with Romi and Simon. Things can, and often do, change in a heart beat, though. LOL.

You say I have a way with living things...but really, I dunno. I just figure that love can resolve a lot of problems, so I love as hard as I can...patients, people, animals...and I am so blessed by them it's totally amazing. They all return the love a billion times over, and that makes me feel good. So it's kinda selfish. LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

BBM

It's not selfish.

And that is a big part of your father that will always be there with you. I'm sure that's how he was, and you learned it from him while growing into the woman he so loved and admired. :rocker:

JMO and the opinion of many people and at least 12 animals.

It's been 5 days... I need a Romi fix... ;)

Romeo, Romeo where for art thou Romeo?

Romeo has written his own updates!! Check out [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7519102#post7519102"]this link[/ame] in Websleuth's very own Jury Room. It takes some patience to read, as his spelling is not very good!

Romeo has written his own updates!! Check out this link in Websleuth's very own Jury Room. It takes some patience to read, as his spelling is not very good!

THANK YOU! I didn't know it was there... thanks for the link... :seeya:

I found out yesterday, in this thread. I'd started worrying about Romeo. My scenario was that something awful had happened to Romeo and that HC was trying to think of how to tell us. I didn't even think of looking elsewhere! What a dummy!

I have no earthly idea what you all are talking about. I even went down into Pets and couldn't see anything...

As for Romi, he's just fine. Right now, he's chewing on a rawhide strip, and having the time of his life...he's started sleeping on a bed next to mine in my bedroom, and seems to be enjoying that. Last night, between Gracie and Romi's snores, it was kinda hard to get to sleep, but there's something comforting, too, listening to live critters snore. I'm sure that they have to get used to me snoring, but maybe they don't care? And, cutest thing...Romi was sprawled - really stretched out - on his bed, to where his head was on the pile of laundry next to him. He was so relaxed...and that boy barks and bays in his dreams. First time that happened, I nearly left my body behind...LOL.

Anyway, all is well here. Romi continues to get used to things, and exposed to things; the other day, I went up on a ladder to trim some branches, and he got a bit scared; barked and bayed, but once he realized Gracie wasn't upset, he calmed down.

And he's a chewer! LOL. Now that he knows how to chew and gnaw, that's his favorite past time. I think I'm going to get a Kong for him...he will steal bones from Gracie, and she just kinda watches, with a bit of a forlorn expression, but lets him. LOL. Lots of chewy things for him, and for Gracie...both love to destroy bones, so better that then the sofa or table!

I think I misplaced my lappie the other day - it was moved off the coffee table onto the floor, but nothing seems to have happened to it. Maybe I left it on the floor when I was grooming Gracie, and didn't realize? I'm glad nothing happened...

Best-
Herding Cats

I will pay for this in the morning, but I just sat and read all 10 pages of this thread....

HC - you are da' bomb! Thank you for sharing your animal tales with us ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks
Back