UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clear something up regarding Josh's job...he got the job at the trucking company in Summer of 2008. He had been working there for a little over a year. He was NOT scheduled to start there on the Monday that Susan went missing.

Thanks for this info :)

I am assuming he was scheduled to work that Monday (that he forgot and thought was Sunday) ??

I appreciate your insight as to the "strength" of both of them...I also think that Susan looks like she would have fought him, and yes, Josh does look wimpy

that brings to mind again the idea we have gone over here...that he may have drugged her food/drink....IF she had been awake and fought him there at least would be a lot more evidence, damage/broken stuff in house JMO
(and yes...blood...sad to say)

I still feel that they had or were having some "final talks" about divorce etc..and that prompted him

IF he drugged her food she may have vomited, and that might account for the "wet spots" and fan

I really hope the LE is rushing the stuff thru labs, getting some evidence...what is taking so long I keep thinking?? That "wet spot" must contain some answers

Just to clear something up regarding Josh's job...he got the job at the trucking company in Summer of 2008. He had been working there for a little over a year. He was NOT scheduled to start there on the Monday that Susan went missing.

Thank you! That helps quite a bit.

Now obviously don't answer this if it's not common knowledge, as it's a medical question. But I've a few people have mentioned certain personality traits of Josh that appear to be in line with ADD and/or Asperger's and/or OCD and/or Narcissism depending on how you look at it.

His reported actions and especially his seemingly unsure, hesitant behavior in the media interviews appear extremely suspicious to most of us, but part of me wonders if maybe he doesn't have some sort of medical condition that makes him appear very, very off if you don't know him, but maybe not so much if you do.

Do you know if he deals with anything like that? Again, if you do know of something please don't answer unless it's already common knowledge.

According to what I was told, he left to take the kids sledding around 5:30pm and returned about 8:30pm. Then he said he left to go camping at about 12:30am. So there were 4 hours in between him arriving from taking the kids sledding and then him leaving to go camping. Wonder what happened in those 4 hours? That is the big question.

Welcome to Websleuths! :)

Just a question about the 5:30pm sledding trip. As you are from the area, is there anywhere in particular the local folk can go sledding in the dark? I mean, you all don't do it in the dark, do you? Is there a lit up area?

I don't know what happened between 8:30 and 12:30, but I'm willing to bet Susan was pretty tee'd off that Josh didn't go to church that Sunday. That was one of her conditions to stay with him, 'he had to be attending church regularly by the end of the year.'

I'm thinking that may be what the argument was that night.

Thanks for anything you can answer or add,
fran

According to what I was told, he left to take the kids sledding around 5:30pm and returned about 8:30pm. Then he said he left to go camping at about 12:30am. So there were 4 hours in between him arriving from taking the kids sledding and then him leaving to go camping. Wonder what happened in those 4 hours? That is the big question.

OK that is a huge question, and one we've been asking as well. Sledding at 5:30, and then had to go again at 12:30am on a work day no less.
thanks for Josh's job info--no one was actually certain about that until now.

I read about the "media bliss" planned for tomorrow.

I don't know, but ...

I think that if SP is dead and her body has been disposed of in the wilderness, showing her picture online may not help much.

If she is alive, it may... but, what are the chances?

It may be of more help if a picture of JP is also shown, maybe along Susan's, in case someone may recognize HIM. A picture of their van could also help.

:)

Thanks for this info :)

I am assuming he was scheduled to work that Monday (that he forgot and thought was Sunday) ??

I appreciate your insight as to the "strength" of both of them...I also think that Susan looks like she would have fought him, and yes, Josh does look wimpy

that brings to mind again the idea we have gone over here...that he may have drugged her food/drink....IF she had been awake and fought him there at least would be a lot more evidence, damage/broken stuff in house JMO
(and yes...blood...sad to say)

I still feel that they had or were having some "final talks" about divorce etc..and that prompted him

IF he drugged her food she may have vomited, and that might account for the "wet spots" and fan

I really hope the LE is rushing the stuff thru labs, getting some evidence...what is taking so long I keep thinking?? That "wet spot" must contain some answers

I assume he was scheduled to work that Monday also. It was mentioned that neither of them called in to work that day, so it looks like they were expecting him.

I agree about her fighting him if she were awake. I don't think he could have taken her had she been awake, alert, and coherent. I think he must have given her something to knock her out. This is just my opinion. I think there would have been many more signs of a struggle if she had been awake.

I also wonder about the comment he made in the long uncut 2news interview someone posted earlier around the 3:50 minute mark when the reporter asks him what he has told the boys and his reply was, "they heard some thing when it all started but then were in bed" (or something to that effect). It makes me really wonder what he meant when he said "when it all started." He looks like he realizes his slip and tries to cover it after the fact. When WHAT all started?

You mentioning that a possible fight ensuing about divorce, etc. is what seems most likely happening in those 4 hours he was supposedly home before going camping. I think that something big happened and that is what he was accidentally referring to.

Hi Everyone;

I just spoke with OKand3Js. It is my belief she is who she says she is. She is very passionate and totally believable. There is no reason to doubt her at all.

Thank you all for treating her with respect. Like the rest of us all she wants is Susan to come home safely. I am grateful she chose Websleuths to post what information she can.

Tricia

Thank you! That helps quite a bit.

Now obviously don't answer this if it's not common knowledge, as it's a medical question. But I've a few people have mentioned certain personality traits of Josh that appear to be in line with ADD and/or Asperger's and/or OCD and/or Narcissism depending on how you look at it.

His reported actions and especially his seemingly unsure, hesitant behavior in the media interviews appear extremely suspicious to most of us, but part of me wonders if maybe he doesn't have some sort of medical condition that makes him appear very, very off if you don't know him, but maybe not so much if you do.

Do you know if he deals with anything like that? Again, if you do know of something please don't answer unless it's already common knowledge.

This is quoted from a very informative Salt Lake Tribune article:

"Some of Susan's friends were also put off by Joshua's seemingly anti-social and awkward behavior.

The Coxes silently wondered if Joshua had a possible mental illness, knowing he had a relative that suffered from bipolar disorder. But Joshua's family summed up the man's eccentric behavior as "Josh is just Josh," Chuck Cox said." [end quote]

Since that information has already been put out there I can comment on it. I know that they wondered, especially Susan, if he had a mental issue. It makes you wonder. Especially since a relative suffers from bipolar.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14035282?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

Another quote from the article that is very interesting...

"They also had "issues" with Joshua's father, Steven Powell, who could not be reached for comment for this story. A man who answered the door of a Puyallup home believed to belong to Steven Powell refused to speak to a Salt Lake Tribune reporter. The Coxes said Steven Powell isn't actively helping with the search for Susan."

There is some more food for thought...

Welcome to Websleuths! :)

Just a question about the 5:30pm sledding trip. As you are from the area, is there anywhere in particular the local folk can go sledding in the dark? I mean, you all don't do it in the dark, do you? Is there a lit up area?

I don't know what happened between 8:30 and 12:30, but I'm willing to bet Susan was pretty tee'd off that Josh didn't go to church that Sunday. That was one of her conditions to stay with him, 'he had to be attending church regularly by the end of the year.'

I'm thinking that may be what the argument was that night.

Thanks for anything you can answer or add,
fran

As far as I know there is not a lit up hill around their neighborhood. The park where we had the first candlelight vigil may have had some street lamps in the parking lot area, but the hill beyond the playground area where the sledding would occur was not really lit up.

Maybe teens go sledding in the dark but I can't imagine that would be easy to do with two young children. I am not sure if the parking lot lamps would light it up enough though. I will have to drive by it at night again and see if it is lit up at all. There are a few other parks nearby and for all I know he went to one of those, but from what I know...none of them are lit up at all.

I've spent the better part of today trying to go thru all the posts I'd missed since Xmas and I read most of the links provided.

FWIW, I personally find NOTHING Kiirsi has done to be questionable. She's just a good friend of Susan's who's been thrown in a most difficult position and one that no one is ever prepared for. Her job now is to keep Susan's story out in the media. That's what the candle-lite vigils are for and the press conferences, the appearances on national media shows, the newspaper interviews and even her blog.

There's two cases in NC which were recently solved, one a year old and the other three years old. One common thing they both had that the family and or friends, NEVER gave up. They continued to push for justice. One had been missing and just found and that very day they arrested the suspect. The second one they thought they didn't have enough evidence, but with a new DA reviewing the case, they went before a gj and indicted and arrested the accused. But in BOTH cases, the loved one's of the victim kept going to the media every chance they got.

I know some people believe Kiirsi is purposely guiding attention in another direction. We don't know her purpose for that. It's obvious though, that she is of the same mind-set of the family and friends of almost every case we've followed here on Websleuths. They do NOT want to believe the worst. They want to have faith their loved one is going to walk in that door smiling with a harrowing tale of survival or whatever. That's why some people who's child goes missing, stay in the same house and refuse to change even their phone number, in the hopes the victim will return, even 30 years later. Remember Sharon Rocha refusing to answer the door when the detectives came to tell her they'd id'd Laci and Conner's bodies? She coward inside her home because she knew once the words were out, her worst fears would be realized.

Once the words are out, their loved one is dead, there's no going back. I personally don't begrudge her these days of hope. IF it's proven Susan is NEVER coming back alive, there will be enough time for all of those working to bring Susan home, to grieve. Until then, hope is about all there is.

JMHO,
fran

As far as I know there is not a lit up hill around their neighborhood. The park where we had the first candlelight vigil may have had some street lamps in the parking lot area, but the hill beyond the playground area where the sledding would occur was not really lit up.

Maybe teens go sledding in the dark but I can't imagine that would be easy to do with two young children. I am not sure if the parking lot lamps would light it up enough though. I will have to drive by it at night again and see if it is lit up at all. There are a few other parks nearby and for all I know he went to one of those, but from what I know...none of them are lit up at all.

Thankyou so much for your input ,OKand3js Josh is known to say that he would take the kids camping often. Do you have any idea of where he went camping and if Susan went with them as well ?
TIA ...

Thanks for the response OKand 3Js:

This is what happens with some of these cases. The husband comes up with all these scenarios and contradictory statements and,...............well.............ridiculous alibis.............

I've doubted the sledding at 5:30pm from the beginning. I think he just told Susan's friend that so she would leave. The other thing I've heard he was going to do when they went sledding was 'get something to eat.' IMHO, that's as ridiculous as leaving to go camping with two little ones in sub-freezing weather at 12:30a.m. I mean, Josh had just served everyone pancakes and did the dishes and everything! Why would they go out and eat an hour later?

Things that just make you {shake your head}:waitasec:

JMHO
fran

I've spent the better part of today trying to go thru all the posts I'd missed since Xmas and I read most of the links provided.

FWIW, I personally find NOTHING Kiirsi has done to be questionable. She's just a good friend of Susan's who's been thrown in a most difficult position and one that no one is ever prepared for. Her job now is to keep Susan's story out in the media. That's what the candle-lite vigils are for and the press conferences, the appearances on national media shows, the newspaper interviews and even her blog.*snip*

JMHO,
fran

Fran I agree. It pains me to read where people suggest there might be other motives.

Unless you are a pro in the media you can't be expected to come across perfect right out of the box. I am sure Kiirsi is learning as she goes.

Who can blame anyone for hoping she is still alive somewhere. I don't think anyone believes she left voluntarily though. What Kiirsi is trying to suggest no one knows. But I hope she is right. Stranger things have happened. Right now the odds are it is exactly what it appears to be. Let's hope we are wrong and Susan is, by some miracle, alive.

Thank you so much, OK!

My father is Bipolar as well as one of my closest friends and I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. The way others have described Josh's personality and also what I've viewed in the videos don't really point to Bipolar Disorder in my opinion. However they do appear to be near cookie cutter for Asperger's and/or ADD. In fact, the more I read up on it the more I'm thinking Asperger's. And interestingly enough, the Bipolar issue does tie into it. Many who have Asperger's also have family members with Bipolar Disorder. (There must be some sort of genetic connection somewhere.) I'm not a doctor though, so the above is Just my opinion based on my personal experience with Bipolar Disorder an what I've recently learned about Asperger's.

Regarding Josh's father... my wheels have been turning. I can't help but wonder if Steven P. had some sort of huge grudge against the Coxes and wanted to make them suffer somehow. Making Susan "disappear" sure would be one way to accomplish that task. However I have a very hard time believing he would have set up such a horrible alibi for Josh.

The absolutely only thing I can think of that would allow for Susan to be alive is that there was a fight, Josh saw what was coming (her leaving him) drugged her, and desperately called his father who arranged to meet Josh halfway to pick her up and lock Susan up somewhere in Washington.

That seems really far fetched though.

Thankyou so much for your input ,OKand3js Josh is known to say that he would take the kids camping often. Do you have any idea of where he went camping and if Susan went with them as well ?
TIA ...

As far as I know they only camped this past summer and not before that. I believe they would all go together and they just camped around the valley.

The one thing I don't get is IF Josh was such a 'clean freak,' ie like he told their friends when they took off their shoes in their home he'd have to spend hours cleaning up the germs,....................ehhhh..........I've been camping both in a tent and open air and a camper/motor-home................in a tent it is VERY dirty. Even if it were just in the van, it would still be lots of dirt. I mean, there's no bathroom and no running water and ..................no shower. I just don't see it.

Of course, that's just me! Just doesn't make sense.

:crazy:
fran

Thank you so much, OK!

My father is Bipolar as well as one of my closest friends and I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. The way others have described Josh's personality and also what I've viewed in the videos don't really point to Bipolar Disorder in my opinion. However they do appear to be near cookie cutter for Asperger's and/or ADD. In fact, the more I read up on it the more I'm thinking Asperger's. And interestingly enough, the Bipolar issue does tie into it. Many who have Asperger's also have family members with Bipolar Disorder. (There must be some sort of genetic connection somewhere.) I'm not a doctor though, so the above is Just my opinion based on my personal experience with Bipolar Disorder an what I've recently learned about Asperger's.

Regarding Josh's father... my wheels have been turning. I can't help but wonder if Steven P. had some sort of huge grudge against the Coxes and wanted to make them suffer somehow. Making Susan "disappear" sure would be one way to accomplish that task. However I have a very hard time believing he would have set up such a horrible alibi for Josh.

The absolutely only thing I can think of that would allow for Susan to be alive is that there was a fight, Josh saw what was coming (her leaving him) drugged her, and desperately called his father who arranged to meet Josh halfway to pick her up and lock Susan up somewhere in Washington.

That seems really far fetched though.

Yes, they thought he may have had SOME sort of mental illness. So it really could have been anything.

Regarding Josh's father:

Here are some facts:
1. Josh talked to his father ALL THE TIME on the phone.
2. He trusts his father and ONLY his father very much.

I find it highly likely that if Josh did something he would tell the ONE person he trusts about it, or ask him for help.

Keep those wheels turning about his father. Something is not right about him.

I also want to quickly say that Josh absolutely adores those precious boys. And if Susan had been talking about a possible divorce if things didn't change by their anniversary AND that she would be taking the kids, I can't imagine that that statement would sit very well with him at all. He would not ever want those boys to be taken away. Seems like a good motive to ensure he would keep the kids, doesn't it?

Just a reminder,...............WHY we're looking at the husband as the most likely supect in Susan Powel's disappearance. IF anyone would like to add or question, please feel free.

JMHO
fran

nursebeeme
Registered User Join Date: May 2008

most recent Fran list I have found so far:
---------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by fran
Things are mounting up.............anyone else?

.......REASONS TO SUSPECT HUSBAND OR QUESTIONS THAT NEED TO BE ANSWERED, BEFORE HUSBAND CAN BE ELIMINATED AS A POI
fran

1. Husband not the one who reported victim missing.

2. Husband had 'odd' alibi, ie going camping in sub-zero temperartures, late at night, leaving sick wife home alone in bed, and taking two toddlers, pre five yo's into the freezing winter night.

3. Change of story details, here and there or becoming evasive.

4. Avoiding media contact. The few times media managed to get a statement. He cut them off when they asked detailed questions about camping location. His excuse was "I have to get my boys." IMHO, he's using the boys as a shield.

5. Avoiding media questions, ie "Is that where you went camping?" to which he replies, "I have to pick up my boys."

6. Avoids wife-victim's family.

7. Stops talking to LE

8. Concerned with 'his house.'

9. Speaks of victim in 'past-tense.'

10. Speaks of 'buying new clothes and comforter.'

11. Unexplained 'wet spot' in carpeting and 'fans being used to dry.'

12. Gradual release of 'friends and family' speaking of marital problems.

13. Alleged from 'friends' of husband having control issues, which included control of wife ie victim.

14. Alleged from 'friends' of 'verbal abuse' by husband of victim.

15. Alleged statement by one of the children (ok, possibly rumor) "Daddy said mommy stayed in the woods for awhile."

16. Spoke to neighbor about 'hope his bird isn't dead' but didn't talk about his missing wife.

17. Testing generator late at night on camping trip

18. Sledding in the dark? (Locals, is there a place in that area to go sledding in the dark? He told friend he was taking boys sledding, that was at 5:00p.m. and he was seen returning home at 8:30p.m.)

19. Near frost bitten hands.

20. Just the sheer distance of the alleged camp site (3 or 4 hours drive)

21. NOT one sign of husband camping where he said he was.

22. Just plain talking about 'himself,' rather than his missing wife!!!!!!!!

23. No sign of forced entry of home.

24. Friends and neighbors said it was unusual for Josh to suddenly go camping late at night with the children in the freezing weather.

25. Periodic money problems including a past bankruptcy.

26. Joshy tells his FIL the last time he saw Susan was at 12:30, but didn't bother to tell him what a great time was had by all at the wee-hours-of-the-nite-camping-in-subzero-temps-and-snowstorm-in-the-desert outing.
(from Texas Mist)

27. Left sick wife alone, never to check on her and she had NO CAR to go to doctor! (from member passionflower)

28. Wife had gone to bed sick with an ear-ache which meant she most likely had a cold. Yet, husband made her walk home from church in freezing weather, (they only had one car)

29. Susan's friend had spoken to her on Sunday and friend said Susan wasn't sick.

30. Husband said wife sick but she went to bed at 12:30 a.m.

31. Husband said he forgot it was Sunday but he also said he saw last saw Susan at 12:30 a.m. when she went to bed and he was leaving for camping with the kids. She would have reminded him it was Monday and not Sat nite/Sunday a.m. "Got his days mixed up, thought it was Sunday" yet he neither attends church nor allows for boys to go.

32. Susan told co-workers she was physically fearful of her husband.

33. Co-workers say Susan took precautions in case 'anything' happened to her.

34. Josh's BIL stated when asked if he believes Josh had anything to do with Susan's disappearance, "I pray Josh isn't responisble."

35. Susan't friends knowledge of Powell marriage............SEVERAL advised Susan to leave her husband.

36. Susan's family paid for her to have a cell phone in case she was in trouble.

37. police have mentioned they would possibly like to have Josh take LDT: so far it has not been reported he has taken one to clear his name

38. Disappeared for 24 hours with rental car, AFTER Susan went missing. hundreds of miles were put on the car. There was no gps on the rental car

39. Local reporter said that at alleged camping location, you need to travel approximately 20 miles on unpaved road. It was storming. {suspicious}

40. When talking about spur of the moment camping trip with boys, Josh said they '.....liked to have smores in the morning.'

41. Wife's cellphone, purse and belongings LEFT BEHIND...

42. Josh skips town on Dec 18/19 (Fri/Sat) attorney says to spend holidays in Washington with father and step mom.

43. Sunday 2 weeks after Susan disappeared, Josh whereabouts unknown.
Has sons with him....note: husband has shown up in Washington State and attended a candle light vigil for Susan,.............NO comment to the media

44. First time LE contacted husband as at first the entire family was thought missing, Josh hung up on LE.

45. Statements by friends that Josh resented Susan's dedication to her church. (Also indications that Josh was being encouraged of his distaste for the church by his own father)

46. While at the candle light vigil in Washington, Josh was only 15 feet from Susan's parents, yet he didn't even acknowledge them.

47. Josh completely controlled Susan's spending. He told her how much she had to spend at the grocery store and what she could and couldn't buy as far as groceries or anything else was concerned.

48. LE said Josh is hindering the investigation.

49. It's not JUST that Josh left town while everyone is trying to look for his missing wife. He did NOT tell LE he was leaving or where he would be, in case his wife returned or she was found!

*Blue are added as the case developes and Websleuthers mention them

REASONS NOT TO LOOK TOWARDS HUSBAND

1. Josh said he didn't harm Susan.

2. Josh's dad said to stop "villifying" JP, he didn't harm his wife.

3. Josh's lawyer said Josh is not hindering investigation.

I asked this before - what would Josh's Dad likely do if Josh confessed to his father that he killed Susan? Would SP be glad Josh avoided divorce and custody battles, or turn him in for committing such a horrible crime? I definitely believe Josh has told his Dad what really happened. Anybody else believe that?

I asked this before - what would Josh's Dad likely do if Josh confessed to his father that he killed Susan? Would SP be glad Josh avoided divorce and custody battles, or turn him in for committing such a horrible crime? I definitely believe Josh has told his Dad what really happened. Anybody else believe that?

I believe he told his dad also and/or asked him for help. If he confessed to his dad and his dad was going to turn him in for it, we would have heard about it by now. Obviously his dad does not plan on doing that. He is hiding Josh and protecting him. It just goes to show that he is not a saint. He is not actively helping in the investigation either. It makes you wonder if the "issues" the Cox family had with Steven were their issues or maybe more specifically...Susan had issues with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member