GUILTY CA - Gavin Smith, 57, Oak Park, 1 May 2012

I was hoping we would hear more too. I feel like this case is stalled. I know Gavin's family must be extremely sad and confused.

This is a total stretch and I am throwing it out there---don't believe it is likely but it would validate potential sightings of Gavin.

... It seems like Gavin wouldn't have left his children, so that is why I think it is unlikely. In this theory's favor is the fact that he and his wife were on the outs and he was having financial difficulties. Maybe he felt a disconnect with his family and went through a midlife crisis?

I think he was close to his 3 sons when they were younger, but in the last few years it seems the SMITH parents have been drifting apart. From the tweets of the eldest son, he seems to have followed his mother's religious turn ... since that is what distanced him from his wife, Gavin may have also felt that some alienation from his children. His eldest son's tweet of 2012/04/14 certainly showed that he sided with his mother. So maybe Gavin felt more & more estranged from his family ... we KNOW that he moved out of the family home around the tweet time.

In MY understanding of the timeline, the family set up the "help find" website to conduct local searches & they had one planned for a mid May weekend ... WHEN the Taco Temple sighting became publicly known (which I believe is on video), that was when the weekend search was called off.

Since that time the family has not updated their website & NO formal searches have been organized. It has just been recommended that people conduct private searches on their own. I tend to think this is significant. This was also the time when the family stopped doing interviews. As I mentioned before, I think there is more going on in this story then LE has shared with the public.

Last week I had postulated that drugs might have been involved & that JC had a long rap sheet which was why LE took took precautions when searching his family's home, so thanks S&F for finding some facts on that!

Gavin is on the crimestoppers missing list at ... http://lacrimestoppers.com/missing.aspx

This next site would seem to indicate that John Lenzie CREECH
has previously had residences in Indiana & Ohio ...
http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/CA_LosAngeles.htm

I don't know how to do links so am just posting the web addresses. For the past week I kept going to the older webpage here thinking it would show me the latest entries & I was wondering why no body was posting any more ... so I am still getting accustomed to this website.

I've been lurking for awhile and picked up this story from The Hollywood Reporter when GS first was reported missing May 3. I've read every story that has come out on this and have connected a H'wood crime writer to a man who told me he knew a different version of what the family said in the media. There were very real marital probs and a potential oncoming divorce due to a serious relationship that had developed with a GS lover. The crime writer partners made a report based on statements of a longtime family friend in The Daily Beast after that.

The UK Daily Mail story after the raid on the Canoga Park house is most feasible for several reasons. LE had to have something fairly substantial to raid that house. It was reported that this was the second search of that house and in the previous one, the LE took away 2-3 cell phones, then came back with guns and dogs.

It seems that GS knew the female resident, CW, previously. Johnny C. does not seem to be listed as a co-owner of that home -- only CW. There was an older woman and two children also living there, probably from a previous marriage of CW. A woman in the neighborhood who claims her husband was a good friend with GS IM'd with me and wrote it was a very complex situation -- a woman, sex, and drugs, but refused to give the details awaiting the outcome from the police.

Pls. correct me, if anyone here knows different.

LibraLove,

Great first post and :welcome: to WS.

I think your thoughts are right on. I think it was a complex situation and the family does not feel comfortable laying it all out there. At first they thought he might have driven off a cliff or been car jacked. But I think as time went on, the thought he may have run off or been involved in a mess somehow. JMO

Sleuths here had pretty much guessed he was probably still doing his illegal activities/drug dealing, so this is no big news:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/06/gavin-smith-missing-fox-executive-1.html

http://www.eonline.com/news/sources_missing_fox_exec_gavin_smith/325213

So now we know the couple were in an "open" relationship for awhile... Why was Gavin couch surfing on the couch of another woman in Oak Park that night? Did he go over to this house to get some dope/weed/whatever and then things went bad with Chandrika or Johnny? Thing is, it would take two people minimum to deal with the body and the car.

I'm thinking CW is a loose cannon and very unstable -- capable of flying off the handle and her husband would be the 'take care of the aftermath' person. The grandmother is 80-something. i'm sure there was concern of who would take care of those daughters if CW went to prison and LE was working on another drug charge on Johnny and he's back in jail now. So at least he's not a flight risk.

Any other ideas?

Those articles just filled in what we had already surmised. Gavin was having a fling with Johnny's wife, and he probably got angry about it. Maybe Gavin went over there that evening, and that pushed Johnny over the edge. I think the cops have the texts and calls showing that Chavandra's home was Gavin's intended destination that evening. He probably picked her up and they went out somewhere that evening, and came home to be ambushed by Johnny. And she has to cover for him for some reason. ?

Summary of latest info ...

indicate that John Lenzie CREECH has previously had residences in Indiana & Ohio ...

John Lenzie CREECH was born in in Ohio. He also lived in 3 northern Indiana counties.

Creech was previously married in Indiana to a TW.
He later married CW (different maiden surnames). I think he & CW are both on their second marriage.

In 2008 Gavin Smith met CW when both were in therapy (type not stated ... could it have been for drug addiction ?). They developed an intimate relationship and when her Creech husband found out about it, he told her to stop it. John Creech did have an email exchange with Gavin in 2008 but apparently they have never met.

Creech and CW are currently still legally married but apparently they have been separated since early 2011. They have an arrangement where they both still live in the same house but on different floors. They are both dating other people with the condition that neither bring a date into their shared accommodations. With this type of marital separation agreement, it does not seem likely that Creech would be a jealous husband. However such personal agreements can be tenuous and subject to emotional changes.

At some point Gavin and CW resumed their personal relationship.
Gavin's wife and 3 sons WERE aware of Gavin's extra-marital affair with CW.

Don't see him listed as inmate @ LA County Sheriff link...Locals, are there other places we should look for charges/incarceration(s)? ... Wonder if he's out pending sentencing, or was when Gavin disappeared.

A decade ago, Creech served 63 months in federal prison in southern Indiana (probably Connersville, Fayette County, IN) for conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute more than 100 grams of methamphetamine. He was released in 2003.

Yes, Creech was a free citizen when Gavin went missing on 1 May 2012,
But on 21 Jun 2012 Creech appeared in Los Angeles County Superior Court, where he was scheduled to be sentenced on a single count of selling and transporting drugs. Instead, Judge Clifford Klein ordered that Creech remain in custody without bail pending a new sentencing date of 26 July 2012. So Creech will be spending his 40th birthday on 22 July behind bars and facing up to 10 years in state prison on drug charges.

I am wondering now if on the night of 1 May 2012, CW was arguing with her estranged husband and phoned Gavin for support. He went to her home to try and help ... but since that broke Creech's rule about no dates in their mulual home, it incensed him and an altercation ensued.

I wish we knew what date he was found to be selling drugs. If he was to be sentenced on June 21, but if the drug arrest were earlier -- prior to May 1, then he may have thought, if I'm probably going back to jail/prison for several years, then no way am I leaving this guy to be with my wife and kids. With Gavin no longer living at home, it would have been the next step toward taking Johnny's place in that home.

It would have been much easier to dispose of Gavin if he was going back to prison anyway, but with whose help? Not easy to get rid of a body that large and then his car also. Did CW help or did he have a criminal buddy? Was the event there at their house or did they set him up to meet somewhere else to get some weed/or whatever his DOC, and he was killed there?

I wish we knew what date he was found to be selling drugs. If he was to be sentenced on June 21, but if the drug arrest were earlier -- prior to May 1, then he may have thought, if I'm probably going back to jail/prison for several years

Oh for sure the drug arrest was before Gavin's disappearance.
Creech's lawyer would have to be given ample time to prepare a case.
My guess is that the drugs were sold back in 2010 or even 2009.
Probably going back to the court info S&F gave us.
He was just convicted last February so this was probably the sentencing for that.
S&F read the court docs so he might have an exact date.

Locate Federal inmates from 1982 to present for John Lenzie CREECH @39
2003 Oct 03 released from Indiana federal prison

Per LA Superior Court Records for John Lanzie Creech
2010 Feb 18 case filed
2010 Nov 09 Held to Answer
2011 was probably the court evidence/arguments
2012 Feb 27 Disposition - Guilty/Convicted
2012 Jun 21 scheduled sentencing ... but was postponed
2012 Jul 26 next scheduled sentencing

Okay then, @Rose, terrific work.

A friend of Gavin's good friend contacted me on the Help Find Gavin Smith site by email and told me early on when the family was denying any domestic problems that Gavin had moved out, a divorce had been started (or would be), so he would be with another woman whom he had had an affair with and it had turned serious.

So imagine, you're a two-bit drug dealer living with your wife and kids and have been found guilty of yet another drug charge end of Feb 2012, and coming up on sentencing on June 21st, and certainly looking at several more years in jail.

Then this tan CA man hunk, Gavin, who has had an ongoing affair with your wife for a couple of years is couch surfing a few short miles from your home. As soon as you're sent off to jail, he'll load his clothes in his Mercedes and be living with your wife and kids.

So two possible scenarios: #1 -- Johnny gets in a fight with Chandie. She calls Gavin to come help her with him. He intercedes and Johnny kills Gavin. Chandie's too afraid to be killed herself, so she helps Johnny hide the body and the evidence. If this is the scenario, then the LE would have found forensic evidence of the murder at the house, and they've got Johnny in custody, so now they're just allowing Chandie to make arrangements for the 2 kids before picking her up as well.

#2. Johnny and a connection from his Fed. prison stay, set Gavin up with a meeting somewhere where they could commandeer him with a gun, drive him somewhere in the mountains/desert, shoot him, and then the other guy drives the Mercedes to a chop shop in Sylmar. Johnny drives home to Chandie.

PS: No reason for the sentencing June 21, on the state's single drug charge, if they are preparing a murder charge to be forthcoming, they'll prepare for trial with that charge. The drug charge is just a waste if that's the case.

More "news", about the female resident.

Once again, the alleged male resident was not named as a POI by LE.

Have at it:

New lead in Smith disappearance

Lt. Margarito Robles of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department was unable to confirm a connection between Smith and Chandrika Creech, but said that the media were “probably right” in their reports of a possible affair between Smith and Chandrika Creech.

And that's all she wrote...MSM, that is.

I wonder why LE thinks there was a relationship if they can't confirm anything. I mean, was there calls back and forth between GS and CC? Did friends say they were dating?

I wonder why LE thinks there was a relationship if they can't confirm anything

In normal practice, LE are known to keep back a lot of info ... but in this case I think the family has requested that whenever possible, info about their dirty laundry NOT be released publicly. The family would want to keep the focus on finding their relative & not have people gossiping about whether he was having extra-marital affairs. It would be embarrassing for the wife & troublesome for the 3 teenage boys who could be harassed by other youngsters ... both in person and online. So I think LE are respecting the family's wishes for now.

It seems the cat is already out of the bag. When someone goes missing, their 'laundry' is normally hung out for all to see. The devil's in the details. Secrets only tend to slow an investigation. Either protect reputations or find Gavin, sometimes the two things are at odds. Maybe someone overheard an argument between Gavin and one of the people in that house. Without the connection made in the media, they may just dismiss it from their memory and think nothing of it.

http://www.eonline.com/news/sources_missing_fox_exec_gavin_smith/325213

The truth will come out eventually, assuming the case is solved.

As I had posted WAY upthread, this case is just the type that MSM loves, for its entertainment value (nice-looking guy/local "hero" type, remote connections to the industry, "Hollywood", etc). Max ratings fodder!

Of course, LE does not have to disclose any details about personal lives UNLESS it considers them key to finding a missing person and they need the public's help. Not so, in this case, so far.

I think LE is doing well on its own, sorting thru the vast info it has collected (many many search wts, not just at the house which got attn), interviews with family, friends, & associates, and so on.

Unfortunately (but I place no blame), family has not been forthcoming with information that could help the public understand what might have happened. Worse yet, the family's silence has raised even more questions. :-/

Is anyone searching the canyons anymore, as if he had driven over a cliff intentionally or by accident? Any other planned searches? If not, quite telling...don't you think?

Also to add: If LE found any bad eggs thru their investigation and locked them up, good. Kinda like an Easter Egg for them. :) Such persons may have nothing to do with Gavin Smith's missing status, but they got caught in a broadly-cast net. Fine with me!

~jmo~

Very well put shana.

Perhaps the family has no information to put out. For all we know, Gavin was leading a near "double life" , wanted to keep any relationships on the down-low as to not cause any more pain for his children.

I know of a man who was seeing some women on the side and no one knew for months. He kept up a facade at home because he didn't want a divorce. If something had happened to him NO ONE in his family would have known where he was, who the woman was, why he wasn't at work until 7 like he always claimed, etc.

Obviously he was separated from his wife- but perhaps he was running damage control by keeping things quiet. He might have wanted to patch things up with the wife later and that is much easier to do if you haven't paraded your sins around for your family to see.

So I can see that the family really might have nothing to say. Maybe they are worried that they will come off angry. And maybe they are quietly advocating in the background?

perhaps he was running damage control by keeping things quiet. He might have wanted to patch things up with the wife later and that is much easier to do if you haven't paraded your sins around for your family to see

Here is a link to an article that says Gavin's wife & sons DID know about this other women CW.

http://ca.eonline.com/news/sources_missing_fox_exec_gavin_SMITH/325213

quote: "Sources said that Gavin's wife, Lisa & her sons knew about Gavin's
relationship with C, who, according to public records, is listed as the owner of the Canoga Park home she shares with her husband"

Hi, all! Just wanted to say I'll be working on adding the Page 4 links to Gavin's Timeline/Media thread that can be found here. We were traveling four of the last five weeks, two of which were abroad, so I haven't had time/Internet to post. Please note: anyone's welcome to add/help amass the media links into the other thread. Some have had a hard time finding media links, so Salem helped us out by starting it.

I've only browsed recent posts, but looks like some good sleuthing and thinking! :)

Hopefully we all keep Gavin and his family in our thoughts and prayers as we post.

Just finished adding the Page 4 links to the media thread and came across this:
<snipped by me>
The sighting of Gavin occurred at a restaurant called the "Taco Temple" in Morro Bay which is about 200 miles north of where he was last seen.
One reason I don't dismiss this sighting immediately is because this restaurant had a surveillance camera. The media asked the restaurant for the tape but did not get access to it. News reports said that this tip had been followed up on so I assume that the police confiscated the tape for examination. The police have not made ANY statement about whether or not Gavin is on the surveillance tape. When a dead body turned up in Angeles National Forest, the police DID specifically state that it was NOT Gavin Smith.

The interesting thing about this very SAME restaurant location is that it was in the news 3 months before Gavin went missing ... when an employee was arrested for selling cocaine out the back door for over a period of 10 years. There are a few articles about it ... here is a link to one of them ...

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2012/02/02/1932500/taco-temple-drug-arrest-morro.html

2rose, your connection here between the debunked Gavin sighting and the cocaine sales location seems intriguing, given that Creech has now been convicted twice for drug trafficking. Could he have put someone up to calling in a false sighting to divert LE attention?

For those trying to track when Creech entered the picture on the thread, it begins on Pg 4, post # 80, regarding the search at his home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back