17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm guessing we have to wait until the defense accepts discovery before seeing the unsealed State's evidence? Or not?

That's my understanding as well. I believe I read that O'Mara said he'll be making some motions regarding the witness discovery prior to accepting it, so it could be a while til we see anything.

That's my understanding as well. I believe I read that O'Mara said he'll be making some motions regarding the witness discovery prior to accepting it, so it could be a while til we see anything.

Ah, okay. Thank you for the clarification! :seeya:

I don't believe the defense fund is accepting any money now since it's not set up.

So, they can't stockpile anything.

I guess that would scratch off that theory.

IMO!

I don't think MOM has unlimited time for file his motion. If he does not file right away those docs are let loose within a matter of days. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some of them already, such as the EMT's report, GZ's statements to LE that night, etc. jmo

I have nothing to base this on, just a gut feeling, I think he and the judge are personal friends. jmo

That's funny. I thought the same thing in regards to the prosecution.

Maybe they're all personal friends.

That's funny. I thought the same thing in regards to the prosecution.

Maybe they're all personal friends.

Well since the prosecution team is from Jacksonville, FL, not Sanford or Orlando area I seriously doubt it.

I have nothing to base this on, just a gut feeling, I think he and the judge are personal friends. jmo

If that were the case I think the judge would have not taken this case. There were other judges available. It would avoid him being asked to recluse himself later. This is high profile and he seems like a "no nonsense" judge. jmo

From this link and the Sandford PD PDF Press Release 2/29/2012:
http://www.motherjones.com/documents/329566-twinlakestownhomesshootingupdate

SPD says that GZ was acting in his capacity of Neighborhood Watch at the time of the shooting.

But since that time, GZ and some of his outspoken friends have been trying to get the public to believe that he was not acting in his capacity as NW and was actually about to run an errand to Target for milk.
Funny, because those two points shouldn't be mutually exclusive at all. IMO

Neighborhood watch: You are taught what to watch for, and how to report information to the police. You remain observant and vigilant when you are at home or anywhere in your neighborhood. You report anything suspicious. You compare notes with other neighbors and share information about crimes and suspicious happenings in the neighborhood. People looking out for each other.

You do this at all times when you are in or traveling through your neighborhood, whether it be looking out your bedroom window, working in the yard, taking out the trash, out walking the dog, driving out on your way to the store, or driving in on your way home from work or an evening out.

Note -- Snip from generic article about a local NW, w/the headline "Observe and Report:"

Monaghan shared with the group what kind of activities to be on the look out for, as well as resources in order to help them combat those activities, such as how to report them to the police.

Jamestown Police Chief Harry Snellings spoke to those in attendance on how the police department can be a resource to them, and how they can be a resource to the department.

"It is a very important relationship," he said. "The biggest aspect is that it brings people together with their neighbors, working toward a common goal. The support they provide is invaluable. They can be the eyes and ears for the police department to assist us. We always rely on community involvement."

Snellings said that concerned citizens have helped the department tremendously in the past. One such case was the recent abduction that occurred in August.

http://post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/590917/Observe-And-Report.html

--
IMO there shouldn't be any conflict with heading out for groceries, and I wonder why there would be an effort to separate the two. (I realize civil lawsuits have been discussed, against GZ, NW, and the HOA...maybe it's that?)

JMO

--

ETA:

Perhaps the correction they were attempting was in response to erroneous reports that GZ had been "on patrol" as a neighborhood watchman? JMO

Well since the prosecution team is from Jacksonville, FL, not Sanford or Orlando area I seriously doubt it.

It is only 2 hours away. And the legal circles are very small. They all tend to know each other from law school and friends in common and previous cases. They probably ALL know each other.

My dad had friends who were prosecutors. They had dinner together socially and played softball together. It is not an enemy sport, they can all be social and civil after the trials are over.

bbm, Do we even know that the "phone bill" that came out was for real. If it did get to her testifying would she be allowed to testify to what TM or GZ said. Isn't that hearsay? :waitasec:

Regardless of what we are privy to, true or not, Beth Caras said the prosecution decided to go forward with the case mainly because of Trayvon's femal friend's testimony. They must believe that it is compelling and from a credible witness. moo

Regardless of what we are privy to, true or not, Beth Caras said the prosecution decided to go forward with the case mainly because of Trayvon's femal friend's testimony. They must believe that it is compelling and from a credible witness. moo

I really don't think that Beth Karas is privy to the Prosecutions case, she is just another talking head.

I agree, I think she would be able to testify to what was directly told to her (I believe there is a clause for this in the hearsay rule, when you hear something from a deceased) but that's about it. TM saying 'this guy is following me' isn't evidence that someone was following TM, just that she heard him say that.

Well, the circumstances in this case are like dots, and I think the jury will be able to follow them to the right conclusion. moo

What are you talking about? The State didn't recoup any prosecution expenses from Casey Anthony!

If you are talking about money spent by the State on her defense because she was indigent, then it would be common practice for Baez to have to account for every penny. I have prepared such reports and they are very detailed (often hundreds of pages), but I admit I'm not in Florida and can't vouch for the competence of auditors there.

*I* was talking about estimates of what the State spent prosecuting the trial. Since the case was lost, I doubt anybody working for the prosecutor wants to brag about how much money they spent getting an acquittal for Casey Anthony. That's just common sense.

You seem to want to accuse me of asserting facts I do not know to be true. I don't stick "IMO" after every post, but I do use "I think" and similar phrases to indicate that I am expressing opinion, not reciting verifiable facts. What is the problem?

I would assume when comparing specific case expenses State vs Private attorney, is like apples and oranges. A private attorney accounts for every minute dedicated to the case. I would assume the State only accounts for those expenses that are on top of a regular 40 hour work week, since the employees have to be paid anyway regardless if busy or not. Hence the State specific case expenses could only entail overtime due to the case, traveling and such due to the case, hiring of temp additional manpower due to the case. In other words expenses on top of regular work hours/duties.
Employees from a law office keep carefully track of all their time/expenditures and allocate that to specific cases/accounts. State/County employees AFAIK generally do not do that for regular hours, may be only for OT. All IMO and lots of assumptions.

Not sure if there are 1 or 2 sisters, 2 I think, but in the "op-ed" piece it does talk about him being the youngest of 4 children, and we have only heard from his older brother RZjr.

Didn't RZ say in the CNN interview that he hadn't been in touch with GZ in years before GZ shot Trayvon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie