Results from Genealogy DNA testing are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is NOT a match IMO but this came up from a Google search - name, location and timeline are all reasonable enough but photo and age don't fit.

I'm posting it anyway so that others doing similar searches can move on from this result.
-------------------------------------------------------
I read the newspaper articles. Did they find him? Not the right age? I did not see a photo.

If we get lots of ruled out, NOT a match people, we might need a new thread for that.

The photo is right to the right and above of the article. It doesn't appear to me to look anything like him.

Also, he was 38 in 2004.

OK, guys-it is hard to resist the Powell bandwagon-I did a letter that we might use for various family projects. Referenced in the letter is a copy of the BK flyer-I have one on my hard drive that I attach when I send stuff out about him. Thoughts?

I am working on behalf of a gentleman with amnesia who recently had his YDNA processed at Family Tree DNA. The results of his 37 marker test indicate that he may have a common ancestor in the Joseph Powell Family. Some combing of websites associated with Joseph Powell brought up the xyz webpage with photos of the Powell family.

Mr. Kyle, as our amnesia victim calls himself, has very distinctive features. In particular, he has a distinctive nose. It will likely be months before Mr. Kyle's 60+ marker test will be back-in the interim we are reaching out to families like yours to see if he looks familiar in any way. It is a long shot but one worth pursuing.

Here is some background on Mr. Kyle: He was discovered behind a Burger King in Richmond Hill, GA in August of 2004. He was unconscious, having been beaten in a violent assault. When he recovered, he was blind from cataracts and unable to recall who he was or why he was in GA. He believes that he was a resident of Denver, CO and that he likely was born in Indiana. He believes he attended Catholic Schools. His finger prints are in National databases, his DNA is in CODIS and he has appeared both on the Dr. Phil show and in the National Enquirer. In spite of the media attention he has received, his identity has still not been uncovered.

Here is a link to a blog detailing the YDNA testing:
http://genealogy.about.com/b/2009/02/17/using-genealogy-to-identify-an-amnesia-victim.htm

Here is a link to Mr. Kyle's DoeNetwork page:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1007umga.html

I have included in this email a flyer with links to various pictures of Mr.Kyle.

I would welcome any feedback you have regarding the possibility that this nice man might be a member of the Powell family. Any thoughts or ideas on how to proceed will also be most welcome.

Thank you for your time and attention!

I just added two tags to this thread, but I noticed one of the tags reads Missing Howell-I think the name is actually Ap Howell, correct? As someone pointed out already, it is Welch I think.

Believe, I do think, with respect to the Powell family's, that we should bring forth on WS a list of these families and their emails, and approach as a group, not individually, so they will not be bombarded with queries from us. Any thoughts?
Maybe set up a thread just for this?

Believe, I do think, with respect to the Powell family's, that we should bring forth on WS a list of these families and their emails, and approach as a group, not individually, so they will not be bombarded with queries from us. Any thoughts?
Maybe set up a thread just for this?

I would feel best if a mod weighed in on this idea...

Are there any photos of Bobby Powell for matching purposes? What were the injuries and why haven't the police followed up on finding him or his body? Very interesting!

My thoughts to this, since I do genealogy research. Let's say you approach me and I answer your question. Then a day or so goes by, I have 15 emails from other people asking the same question. I might would read the these next 5, but after that, I honestly would delete the rest, knowing they are all asking the same question. Just a thought. Speaking for myself, I love to chase down people that are now deceased and tell me more of my life. And if someone would email me, asking questions about someone who I don't know, but could possibly be related, I would help along with the query, if at all possible. But if I was asked the same question by some 25 or so people, I might would hesitate in the query, thinking they will find someone else that will help, and probably not go further than what I could go in the query.
It would be a "Sorry, I don't have any idea who this is."
Instead of "Sorry, I don't have any idea who this is, but, I can check with other distant family and see what I can come up with."

Just catching up a bit. I know Powell is not a Definite match - but here is the only missing Powell I could find listed so far that is anywhere near close to BK and this gentleman has been missing a long time:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/powell_richard.html

I was excited - so I had to contribute something :)

Salem

Just catching up a bit. I know Powell is not a Definite match - but here is the only missing Powell I could find listed so far that is anywhere near close to BK and this gentleman has been missing a long time:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/powell_richard.html

I was excited - so I had to contribute something :)

Salem

Hi, 1st post here.. my name is Sue
I think he is too young to be BK. The link you posted is one year younger then me; making him 43

I've been watching this at another place, my guess is that his birthday is between 1953 and 1957. I don't think he's younger then that; and 1957 might be too young.

Hi, 1st post here.. my name is Sue
I think he is too young to be BK. The link you posted is one year younger then me; making him 43

I've been watching this at another place, my guess is that his birthday is between 1953 and 1957. I don't think he's younger then that; and 1957 might be too young.

Welcome Roselvr!!! I know you from that other place and I am excited you jumped in to the waters here as well. From what I have seen, you have street cred, lol, and we need all the help we can get here!!!

Welcome Roselvr!!! I know you from that other place and I am excited you jumped in to the waters here as well. From what I have seen, you have street cred, lol, and we need all the help we can get here!!!

This is not an easy site to join, I will say that.
Tried joining with my main email which is gmail, and was denied due to free emails not being valid. I then joined under my ISP (Comcast) and have never gotten a confirmation email not even in my spam folder.

Amazing enough, I am signed up to watch this thread with instant notification; just checked my comcast addy, no email :(

Anyway.. I've been doing a lot of reading the last few days, a lot of saving pictures, fliers, links, articles & posts. Trying to save information that might help so that I can figure out what information is needed to make anything I post help him find out who he is. As I said, I go to a lot of forums, some state related (not the one I found this on) and would like to get some posts going, but some of the boards don't allow me to edit a post I've made so I want everything to be correct the 1st time.

I'd love to see someone that is good at photoshop, and do know of someone from one place I go to, although I don't know how good they are with faces. As I mentioned at the other place, I'd love to see a perm on him. There was a time they were popular with men. I also wonder if the regression photo hair is wrong, as if he is the age I think he is, he could have had longer hair around the 70's/80's. I also wonder if his hair color was lighter when younger?

I have to read more about the military. I think it was said he never served, as I said at the other place, the draft was for people born between 1944 and 1952 from what I can see. People born in 1953 were never called.

military - I looked up military bases and see there is one in Colorado, and wonder about other places he's been to.

The age thing was brought on by watching 24 the other night. The character Bill Buchanan looks to me to be around Benjaman's age so I looked him up; he was born in 1954. James Morrison/Bill Buchanan link

It is amazing to me how much research has been done here. For someone that has never heard of Benjaman, there is a lot to pick through. It would be nice if there was one post that was locked that contained a "cheat sheet" for someone wanting to read about him, look at pictures to determine if they might know him. It would also be great if someone can get him to tape himself reading some sort of book so that we can get an idea of where he is from. I'm not convinced he's from where the linguist says.

For the year that I've followed this, I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it to my hubby but did today, he's never heard of Benjaman; he does more online reading of news then I do. I'd have to say that more avenues should be looked at to get his story out there.

Gonna go back to your original post at the other place to see what else I can make note of. I do hope he finds who he is.

btw, does anyone know if Dr Phil is willing to revisit this?

This is not an easy site to join, I will say that.
Tried joining with my main email which is gmail, and was denied due to free emails not being valid. I then joined under my ISP (Comcast) and have never gotten a confirmation email not even in my spam folder.

Amazing enough, I am signed up to watch this thread with instant notification; just checked my comcast addy, no email :(

Anyway.. I've been doing a lot of reading the last few days, a lot of saving pictures, fliers, links, articles & posts. Trying to save information that might help so that I can figure out what information is needed to make anything I post help him find out who he is. As I said, I go to a lot of forums, some state related (not the one I found this on) and would like to get some posts going, but some of the boards don't allow me to edit a post I've made so I want everything to be correct the 1st time.

I'd love to see someone that is good at photoshop, and do know of someone from one place I go to, although I don't know how good they are with faces. As I mentioned at the other place, I'd love to see a perm on him. There was a time they were popular with men. I also wonder if the regression photo hair is wrong, as if he is the age I think he is, he could have had longer hair around the 70's/80's. I also wonder if his hair color was lighter when younger?

I have to read more about the military. I think it was said he never served, as I said at the other place, the draft was for people born between 1944 and 1952 from what I can see. People born in 1953 were never called.

military - I looked up military bases and see there is one in Colorado, and wonder about other places he's been to.

The age thing was brought on by watching 24 the other night. The character Bill Buchanan looks to me to be around Benjaman's age so I looked him up; he was born in 1954. James Morrison/Bill Buchanan link

It is amazing to me how much research has been done here. For someone that has never heard of Benjaman, there is a lot to pick through. It would be nice if there was one post that was locked that contained a "cheat sheet" for someone wanting to read about him, look at pictures to determine if they might know him. It would also be great if someone can get him to tape himself reading some sort of book so that we can get an idea of where he is from. I'm not convinced he's from where the linguist says.

For the year that I've followed this, I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it to my hubby but did today, he's never heard of Benjaman; he does more online reading of news then I do. I'd have to say that more avenues should be looked at to get his story out there.

Gonna go back to your original post at the other place to see what else I can make note of. I do hope he finds who he is.

btw, does anyone know if Dr Phil is willing to revisit this?

My bold and italics....You will notice a whole lot of posting by carolwood and dreamweaver-they have also suggested some kind of cheat sheet, so I will see what I can whip up for all-it makes good sense, as it did when they suggested it...

Dr. Phil will make his decision based on interest-just like when the show was re-run. It cannot hurt to contact the show requesting an update!

Oh please, a cheat sheet would be great, believe. This way, we won't do it again, unless we don't get some response, know what I mean?
Do you think it would be okay to add Benjaman's info and photos to my webshots page? I just joined, and thought this would be a great way to get his face out there. What do you think?

My bold and italics....You will notice a whole lot of posting by carolwood and dreamweaver-they have also suggested some kind of cheat sheet, so I will see what I can whip up for all-it makes good sense, as it did when they suggested it...

Dr. Phil will make his decision based on interest-just like when the show was re-run. It cannot hurt to contact the show requesting an update!

The biggest peeve for me has been clicking on dead links - plus trying to get to some of the photos on photo bucket. Perhaps one of the main searchers here wants to make a gmail account for here, then use the free picasa photo space to link the pictures to these cases to?

I'm sure most people will have the same questions when reading about him, eyes, height, scars, tattoos; multiple pics would be nice too. He might think to get more photos of himself because every one I see seems different; depends on his expression, how he's holding his head.

I was reading about his memories, how fascinating. In the 3 page post, posters bounced ideas off of each other - like the restaurants, the info about when these places were in business is also good because you're trying to separate what he thinks verses what is truth

If you need someone to do a rough draft I can do that, then give to one of you guys to post/ add to. This is assuming I'll have the kind of time I've had the last 2 days.

Oh please, a cheat sheet would be great, believe. This way, we won't do it again, unless we don't get some response, know what I mean?
Do you think it would be okay to add Benjaman's info and photos to my webshots page? I just joined, and thought this would be a great way to get his face out there. What do you think?

I actually just made a photo album on my facebook page yesterday, devoted to BK. I still have work to do, also want to write a blurb there.

I also want to make a picasa album for BK, possibly a google web page. Gmail gives me free web space. I've done web sites before so, if I can get enough decent info on him, I can code the page to be picked up by more search engines.

I also have webshots, can't hurt.

What I was going to do for a photo album was add a link on where to go for more information or who to contact. Nothing against this site but I have yet to get an email since I joined, and people wanting to help might not want to go through so much trouble

GO FOR IT, lol....

The biggest peeve for me has been clicking on dead links - plus trying to get to some of the photos on photo bucket. Perhaps one of the main searchers here wants to make a gmail account for here, then use the free picasa photo space to link the pictures to these cases to?

I'm sure most people will have the same questions when reading about him, eyes, height, scars, tattoos; multiple pics would be nice too. He might think to get more photos of himself because every one I see seems different; depends on his expression, how he's holding his head.

I was reading about his memories, how fascinating. In the 3 page post, posters bounced ideas off of each other - like the restaurants, the info about when these places were in business is also good because you're trying to separate what he thinks verses what is truth

If you need someone to do a rough draft I can do that, then give to one of you guys to post/ add to. This is assuming I'll have the kind of time I've had the last 2 days.

I actually just made a photo album on my facebook page yesterday, devoted to BK. I still have work to do, also want to write a blurb there.

I also want to make a picasa album for BK, possibly a google web page. Gmail gives me free web space. I've done web sites before so, if I can get enough decent info on him, I can code the page to be picked up by more search engines.

I also have webshots, can't hurt.

What I was going to do for a photo album was add a link on where to go for more information or who to contact. Nothing against this site but I have yet to get an email since I joined, and people wanting to help might not want to go through so much trouble

I am not going to turn down a request to do a draft-Pretty Please!!! I will get you my email address if you want so that we can data dump to each other if that is OK...

I am not going to turn down a request to do a draft-Pretty Please!!! I will get you my email address if you want so that we can data dump to each other if that is OK...
------------------------------------------------------------------
First, welcome Roselvr:
Second: I posted on Dr Phil's new message board about BK's ydna.
I also sent in a request for Dr Phil to do an update re: ydna and have an expert dna on as well as an expert on geneaology. No response.

Third.
BK's hair being possibly lighter when he was younger.
I had light brownish blonde hair for a very long time.
When I was about 52, my hair darkened. And now at 61,
my hair is dark brown with a few threads of gray in it.
So, a major possibility.

Fourth: Count me in on contributing to the data, if you need help.

Oh and I wanted to say:
I am willing to do a web page for BK. A web site that has links to all the other missing persons sites, etc.
I just wondered one day why he did not have a web site devoted just to him.
It would certainly pick up exposure for him. You type Benjaman Kyle into a search engine now and there is a lot that comes up, but not a missing persons web site.

What do people think?
Help always welcome.

Oh and I wanted to say:
I am willing to do a web page for BK. A web site that has links to all the other missing persons sites, etc.
I just wondered one day why he did not have a web site devoted just to him.
It would certainly pick up exposure for him. You type Benjaman Kyle into a search engine now and there is a lot that comes up, but not a missing persons web site.

What do people think?
Help always welcome.

He has actually been trying to set up his own webpage-I know he finds it difficult because of the speed of his computer. We are trying to find him a faster one that he will actually accept as a gift, lol. I will check in with him and see if he wants to have someone else set it up for him....he is a pretty stubborn guy, lol, so perhaps he will say no to this offer as well, but you never know!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member