Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suing the state because THEIR child survived the attack. What the heck is next? They should be happy that their child is around, there are 20 families who are wishing their child survived.

I would have much more sympathy for a grieving parent whose child died because the classroom could not be locked down because there was a substitute. That would at least make some sense and maybe change procedures for the better. JMO

But to sue because your surviving child is having horrible nightmares is ludicrous, imo.

From the lack of information from the family and the family's mental health counselors, I 'm assuming this might be because there was a big lapse in therapy/counseling/medication on a regular basis throughout AL's 20 years

And possibly no one wants to look bad, called negligent or incompetant that they fell asleep at the wheel guiding AL's treatment planning for his 20 years

Or there is non-information due to patient confidentiality/privacy laws and maybe the family did everything they could and were very committed and regular on treatments

AL sounds like a very stubborn guy, unwilling to make changes in routine, so AL could've pulled hissy fits to any kind of treatment his parents tried for him and they were content he was "harmless and docile" doing his thing in the basement so they might've abandoned the regular doctor/treatment appointments because he seemed "OK" in their eyes...and maybe they gave in to AL's demands because they got exhausted dealing with his fits and unwillingness to see what they're trying to do was all for his own good

Maybe it's a combination

Just my guess...
Maybe there are professionals involved that are acting professional and not talking to the media.
Maybe he was in regular therapy and the counselor/doctor told the parents to back off and give him more room to hopefully mature to a degree.
Maybe the therapist encouraged the mother to leave him alone from time to time to break a potential dependence. Maybe it was difficult for Mom to leave her child but knew she had to as he got older. Maybe she did everything she was told to do and it didn't work.

maybe, maybe, maybe

we do not know.

Maybe there are professionals involved that are acting professional and not talking to the media.
Maybe he was in regular therapy and the counselor/doctor told the parents to back off and give him more room to mature.
Maybe the therapist encouraged the mother to leave him alone from time to time to break a potential dependence. Maybe it was difficult for Mom to leave her child but knew she had to as he got older. Maybe she did everything she was told to do and it didn't work.

maybe, maybe, maybe

we do not know.

Exactly!
Great post!!

A lawyer who's asking to sue Connecticut for $100 million on behalf of a 6-year-old Newtown school shooting survivor who heard violence over the school's intercom system says the potential claim is about improving school security, not money.

"It's about living in a world that's safe," http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2381733.html

'Imo, we really will not know if the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre could have been prevented until the investigation is completed and the information is shared'. Imo, there were many red flags prior to 12/14/2012, and if it takes a $100,000,000.00 lawsuit to demand transparency and answers, while improving school security & safety for our children. Then so be it...

If they feel it's the right thing to do, why remain anonymous, hiding behind an attorney? (A rhetorical question, of course....clearly they are ashamed of their own greed and lack of gratitude in the face of those who lost so much).

My own son survived a school shooting in which his vice principal was killed and his principal wounded. He spent hours locked in a pitch black, sweltering locker room waiting for the "all clear" and it never occurred to me to sue.

As an aside, that incident "unofficially" changed the district's policy on the use of cell phones at school. They were strictly prohibited and students were given detention simply for having them outside of their backpacks or lockers prior to that day. I thank God that the teacher who was locked in with my son and his classmates exercised his judgment and allowed students to use their phones to text their parents to say they were OK. I can't imagine how I would have survived that day otherwise.

Students were even allowed to use police scanner apps on their phones to learn that the shooter had fled the building and the immediate threat was likely over, although the teachers insisted that they stay put in the locker room until the police came to release them. I am so glad that my son did not have to endure those hours in abject terror, thanks to teachers with excellent judgment who knew which rules to follow and which ones to break in that harrowing situation.

The "official" rule at school is still "cell phones remain turned off and in backpacks" during school hours, but it is not enforced unless a student is really causing a disruption. I am happy that the district recognizes parents' rights to know what's going on with their children during the day. I'm sure it is a hassle for teachers at times but having lost one of their own I think they see the big picture differently now.

The "official" rule at school is still "cell phones remain turned off and in backpacks" during school hours, but it is not enforced unless a student is really causing a disruption. I am happy that the district recognizes parents' rights to know what's going on with their children during the day. I'm sure it is a hassle for teachers at times but having lost one of their own I think they see the big picture differently now.

I should clarify that I don't think that this is the case in the elementary schools, nor do I think that children that age necessarily should or could be allowed unlimited freedom to use cell phones in class. They are allowed in the middle and high schools, though. I get approximately 1-2 texts a week during school hours between my 12 and 18 yo sons, so I don't feel they are abusing the privilege.

A lawyer who's asking to sue Connecticut for $100 million on behalf of a 6-year-old Newtown school shooting survivor who heard violence over the school's intercom system says the potential claim is about improving school security, not money.

"It's about living in a world that's safe," http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2381733.html

'Imo, we really will not know if the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre could have been prevented until the investigation is completed and the information is shared'. Imo, there were many red flags prior to 12/14/2012, and if it takes a $100,000,000.00 lawsuit to demand transparency and answers, while improving school security & safety for our children. Then so be it...

When the investigation is complete, we'll still be unable to prevent these type of tragedies. Evil lurks everywhere, weapons are everywhere, drugs are everywhere and mental illness can be in every walk of life, treated or not. Sueing for large sums of money will not prevent these tragedies from happening. It may bring some new recommendations to school districts in regards to lockdowns, but will not prevent these tragedies from happening. MOO

Where are we safe? AL could have ambushed into anyone of our homes, business, public park etc.

What more can the school district do to prevent these tragedies by improving security????

When the investigation is complete, we'll still be unable to prevent these type of tragedies. Evil lurks everywhere, weapons are everywhere, drugs are everywhere and mental illness can be in every walk of life, treated or not. Sueing for large sums of money will not prevent these tragedies from happening. It may bring some new recommendations to school districts in regards to lockdowns, but will not prevent these tragedies from happening. MOO

Where are we safe? AL could have ambushed into anyone of our homes, business, public park etc.

What more can the school district do to prevent these tragedies by improving security????

Other than a lock down plan and a ten minute plus response time by law enforcement what additional security measures were provided for the children, administrators, and teachers at the CT Sandy Hook Elementary School?

It is time to remove the blinders. Imo, history repeats itself & it is not a question of whether there will be another school shooting, but where and when.... It is time for proactive preventative action..

Many states are implementing enhanced effective safety plans as we speak.. These plans may not prevent school shootings, but imo, will prevent the magnitude/massive life loss, as witnessed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting..

"It's about living in a world that's safe," http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/29/newtown-lawsuit-100-million-irving-pinsky_n_2381733.html

When they find that world, I hope they let us know where it is!!!! Evil can pop up anywhere at anytime, this is not the schools fault JMO

I would be willing to bet that either the lawyer had someone approach the child's parents about filing suit or the lawyer did so himself. There is also a lot in it for the lawyer, don't forget that!

In the first article, the lawyer said HE was approached by the parents within a week of the shooting. I wonder if he's waiving his fees to help create a safer world?

Mental health care is not in the hands of the govt is it?

When one has insurance, one is paying huge amounts of the premium for fancy buildings and huge salaries. I read that the CEO of United Health Care received one billion dollars in salary for one year.

Then there are all of the perks such as golf club memberships.

The new healthcare law does state that the premium must now cover more health care costs than all of this other entitlement. Why don't people get upset about insurance companies?

It is a mystery to me.

In CT Gov't will become involved in Mental Healthcare AND Gun Reform
Gov. Malloy made a speech about this yesterday.

http://www.norwalkcitizenonline.com...ontrol-must-include-mental-health-4151904.php

Also..I am positive there will be school security reform ( everywhere )with and with out that law suit. I can see a survivor starting this (possibly symbolic) legal action- maybe others will join and it can become a Class Action.

It's so sad...this the second worst massacre in US history to little tiny kids. And other little tiny kids hearing and seeing that.

You all have heard my diatribe about security and procedures in that school that day.

True the poor souls did not have time..but JMO ( as someone who had a lock down training here in the same state )they did not follow the procedures the sound system is part of that procedure... they are to say ONE code word or phrase. Period. As a Mom, as a teacher, as a neighbor, I am very raw on this issue. Sorry.

Bless the victims. Bless the families survivors and First Responders.

In CT Gov't will become involved in Mental Healthcare AND Gun Reform
Gov. Malloy made a speech about this yesterday.

http://www.norwalkcitizenonline.com...ontrol-must-include-mental-health-4151904.php

Also..I am positive there will be school security reform ( everywhere )with and with out that law suit. I can see a survivor starting this (possibly symbolic) legal action- maybe others will join and it can become a Class Action.

It's so sad...this the second worst massacre in US history to little tiny kids. And other little tiny kids hearing and seeing that.

You all have heard my diatribe about security and procedures in that school that day.

True the poor souls did not have time..but JMO ( as someone who had a lock down training here in the same state )they did not follow the procedures the sound system is part of that procedure... they are to say ONE code word or phrase. Period. As a Mom, as a teacher, as a neighbor, I am very raw on this issue. Sorry.

Bless the victims. Bless the families survivors and First Responders.

After Columbine, my state required lockdowns almost every month in schools.

Some of the teachers there and in every school will be new without countless lockdown drills under their belts. I imagine most states have lockdown drills.

Even trained police are surprised -- in NJ three police were shot right in the police station.

When people in the US go off to work, they don't anticipate being in a war zone, unless they are LE. So to criticize any staff member on that horrific day is uncalled for IMHO.

After Columbine, my state required lockdowns almost every month in schools.

Some of the teachers there and in every school will be new without countless lockdown drills under their belts. I imagine most states have lockdown drills.

Even trained police are surprised -- in NJ three police were shot right in the police station.

When people in the US go off to work, they don't anticipate being in a war zone, unless they are LE. So to criticize any staff member on that horrific day is uncalled for IMHO.

We as well do lockdown drills, it is law that all schools practice them and have plans in place.

I agree and will not critize any staff for what they did that day...if all the office staff could do was switch on the intercom, at least they did that to warn the others. Perhaps they were in shock and could not speak that "code" word. I have practiced our lockdown drill numerous times. Putting myself into a situation like Sandy Hook....who knows what state I would be in, I just cannot imagine.

"It's about living in a world that's safe," http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/29/newtown-lawsuit-100-million-irving-pinsky_n_2381733.html

When they find that world, I hope they let us know where it is!!!! Evil can pop up anywhere at anytime, this is not the schools fault JMO

Suing the school? Are you kidding me??

If anything this may be a ploy to make the family and AL's mental health pros to come forth with information everyone is wanting to know about

A rational lawyer would ADVISE the parents not to sue, because it's a reactionary impulse...and makes no sense at all

Smart money should be towards schools, public buildings, theatres, etc with better security systems, metal detectors, armed security guards, cameras

Heck, here in Cincinnati,OH we have retired LE officers who make peanuts as security guards for businesses, banks, etc, just to be involved and helping, feeling useful ...they don't care about making alot of money...I know several of them personally

Lanza obsessed with Taylor Swift? A dubious source so use your discretion: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/290343/Adam-Lanza-obsessed-with-Taylor-Swift/

Alot of lunatic mass murderers had fantasy/obsessions with celebrities...John D Chapman, John Hinckley was obsessed with Jodie Foster, Charles Manson was obsessed with Sharon Tate, James Holmes was obsessed with Keely Hazell, John Gacy had celebrity obesessions, Yorkshire Ripper obsessed with Cheryl Cole, Madonna had some near misses from a crazed obsessed fan...

Maybe he was in regular therapy and the counselor/doctor told the parents to back off and give him more room to hopefully mature to a degree.

maybe, maybe, maybe

we do not know.

:bump: :goodpost:

I should clarify that I don't think that this is the case in the elementary schools, nor do I think that children that age necessarily should or could be allowed unlimited freedom to use cell phones in class. They are allowed in the middle and high schools, though. I get approximately 1-2 texts a week during school hours between my 12 and 18 yo sons, so I don't feel they are abusing the privilege.

I have my kids wear their phones on their person with sounds completely off (no vibrate or ring) even though it is against school policy. They don't ever take it out at school, no teachers know that they keep it on their person- but I feel better about them having it in the event of an at school or after school emergency.

I tell them to respect the principle of the rule- the principle is that school is no time for cell phones. We can respect the principle of the rule and keep ourselves safer by making sure it is with us and doesn't get separated from us in our backpack. I honestly can't imagine anyone cares.

Paranoid maybe a bit, but I like to think of it as prepared:blushing:

My 15 year old DD brings her phone to school everyday day too even though its against the rules. She has workouts or softball practice everyday after school and I feel she needs the phone.
It's never on unless she needs it.

I have told her if they ever have a phone check and she gets in trouble, it will be ok.

I feel better knowing she has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member