Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

I am not sure there is a connection with the Lancaster George Brody, who BTW seems to have been a great man...the thing which does occur to me is that the Lancaster GB was second-generation Syrian 90 years old and obviously completely Americanized (except that he belonged to an Orthodox church, as do many people of Syrian extraction); Brody is not a Syrian name, but Baroody may be. You know how many ethnic names were changed when people emigrated. It's probably nothing, but may be something worth a little thought.

Searching "George" "B" both names exact, and a birth of birth 1905 +/-1 year there are 5 records of a George B where it appears the last name is illegible from ship/immigration records.

Can someone look at these 5 records and see if anything stands out regarding our GB?

tia

Searching "George" "B" both names exact, and a birth of birth 1905 +/-1 year there are 5 records of a George B where it appears the last name is illegible from ship/immigration records.

Can someone look at these 5 records and see if anything stands out regarding our GB?

tia
Cubby - How are you spelling the last name? George Brody or Brodey or Brodie??? Also, what year/decade are we assuming he arrived?

Pink'

The parameters I searched were just as I had posted. I know we are so used to abbreviating names here it might be confusing.

First name: George
Last name: just the letter B
birth year: 1905 +/- 1 year.

That was it... and IIRC I checked exact for all three entries.

There were 5 records which the last name was illegible, or shows as being illegible at Ancestry.com Not having a membership, I didn't know if looking at documents would have given any additional information to see if we can make out who these George B's are.... and if they might ring a bell with our GB.

hth and thank you.

Pink'

The parameters I searched were just as I had posted. I know we are so used to abbreviating names here it might be confusing.

First name: George
Last name: just the letter B
birth year: 1905 +/- 1 year.

That was it... and IIRC I checked exact for all three entries.

There were 5 records which the last name was illegible, or shows as being illegible at Ancestry.com Not having a membership, I didn't know if looking at documents would have given any additional information to see if we can make out who these George B's are.... and if they might ring a bell with our GB.

hth and thank you.
Cubby,

I take back everything I wrote two minutes ago. I have found your 5 and will go into the documents/manifests to see if anything looks relevant.

: )

Ok. Two of them won't open for me. I get an "error processing request" message. This happens sometimes when they're updating files so, I'll try again later. These two entries look identical in the preview however and I wouldn't be surprised if they are a "double". The three that do open, are all obscured and seem to show up because the last name is not clear. All three of them are listed as crew for three different vessels. Two of them have "black" listed under ethnicity and one has "panamanian". Unfortunately, none of these listings seem of particular relevance to our search.

Thanks. No need to take it back, lol. I can easily see how it would have been confusing since we use initials all the time.... I could have easily read it the same way had it been posted by someone else.

:blowkiss:

...ehem...Doing some other research, I recently stumbled upon some information about Edgar Cayce...And, uh...GB did look a bit like him and certainly seemed to have "latched onto" some of Cayce's ideas...Has this ever come up in discussions regarding GB???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Cayce

ETA - Look for older pics of Cayce for physical similarities...

It did somewhere... do a search of this forum, choose by post ( not thread or you won't find the individual posts) with the worde cayce and you will find it. Let me know if you need help finding it...

TIA!

...ehem...Doing some other research, I recently stumbled upon some information about Edgar Cayce...And, uh...GB did look a bit like him and certainly seemed to have "latched onto" some of Cayce's ideas...Has this ever come up in discussions regarding GB???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Cayce

ETA - Look for older pics of Cayce for physical similarities...

~

Yes, I know I've read up on Cayce vs Brody, there definitely similarities. Theology thoughts, reincarnation, karma etc. Brody was somewhat well read it seems to me about these things. Wonder if he read alot when he was younger or actually belonged to a society similar to a Cayce following?

And yes, appearance wise, very similar!

~

Yes, I know I've read up on Cayce vs Brody, there definitely similarities. Theology thoughts, reincarnation, karma etc. Brody was somewhat well read it seems to me about these things. Wonder if he read alot when he was younger or actually belonged to a society similar to a Cayce following?

And yes, appearance wise, very similar!

I can't believe you guys brought this up! I told my sister when I first read Searching for Anna, that GB's photo looked like a book jacket I have seen somewhere before. I even mention something alone these lines to Annasmom. My dad introduced me to Cayce, and I asked my sister what other books or people did he read about, because GB looks so familar. I wonder if I am thinking of Cayce's book jacket? IDK. I can tell you this, GB is not German decent. I think he is Italian or Jewish. My family is Romanian, Austrian, and Irish. His nose is not any of those. His features are more Italian if you ask me.

I can't believe you guys brought this up! I told my sister when I first read Searching for Anna, that GB's photo looked like a book jacket I have seen somewhere before. I even mention something alone these lines to Annasmom. My dad introduced me to Cayce, and I asked my sister what other books or people did he read about, because GB looks so familar. I wonder if I am thinking of Cayce's book jacket? IDK. I can tell you this, GB is not German decent. I think he is Italian or Jewish. My family is Romanian, Austrian, and Irish. His nose is not any of those. His features are more Italian if you ask me.

Yes indeed! And I have to agree that a person's nose does sometimes resemble the country they came from. How true!

I found this today looking for newspapers in the Allentown/Bucks County so I could post a photo of GB. This is a short list of some BRODY obits from The Morning Call newspaper in Allentown PA.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mc...=brody&countryid=1&stateid=49&affiliateid=494

Small chance he was a relative of one of them but thought I would post these at least for reference on Brody's in the hood!

SK

Hi,
maybe someone remember my post abt George Broda of italian origin
born the 10 Aug 1900 in Italy, son of Carlo Broda, and living in Merced, Merced, California; but my search ended abt this man, because by death record:
Merced County, California Deaths, 1852-1999 about George Broda
Given Name: George
Surname: Broda
Book #: 5
Page: 442
Date Range: 1 May 1918
seeming that he died in 1918...

instead, this morning, casually, I found the 1920 census.... of George Broda in Merced, Merced, CA;
no doubt: it is the same person, only that in 1920 census he declared that was born in California but from italian parents:
1920 United States Federal Census
about George Broda
Name: George Broda
Home in 1920: Merced, Merced, California
Estimated birth year: abt 1901

Birthplace: California
Relation to Head of House: Roomer
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Male
Image: 661
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William F Rowell 43
Minnie E Rowell 34
Alice A Rowell 11
Aurora Rowell 9
Virginia Rowell 4
George Broda 19
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2708/1920georgebroda.jpg

Now my dilemma is:
as it is possible that this man seeming decesead in 1918 by death records but he is living in 1920???
Some suggestion?

All the best,
raf

I found a WWI draft card registration for this George Broda--his date of birth is listed as Aug 10, 1900. Eye color is listed as blue and hair as brown.

His address is listed as 325 16th Street Merced. It does appear that there is a middle name, but it is either too faint or was erased for some reason, because it is illegible.

His father is listed as Carlos Broda and his mother (?) is listed as Beatrice Randolph or Radcliff of Merced.

His occupation is listed as cannery labor with Sunlit (?) Fruit Co.

I wish I could see a legible draft registation form because there is so much that I cannot read. It does appear that he is checked as being an alien (from Italy) not a US Citizen. It appears the draft card was stamped Sept 12, 19-- I just cannot read the last two numbers. The info from ancestry states that it is a 1917-1918 draft card.

If anyone has ancestry, here is the link:
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/De...56&fn=George&ln=Broda&st=r&ssrc=&pid=20522187

I don't know if this is neither here nor there, but there is also an Ellen G. Broda listed as being born in San Francisco Mar 4, 1967 Probably means nothing but interesting coincidence.

Hi, the George Broda WWI draft registration card picture is in this my post:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4779197&highlight=Broda#post4779197
( picture: http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/5494/wwigeorgebroda.jpg)
and in some my other message I explained that the search abt this man was abandoned because resulting died in 1918... Now I found the 1920 census and I am sure that is the same person that also died in 1918 ???)......

abt Carlo Broda: he was married, but not with Beatrice, because Carlo Broda was boarder in 1920 census without wife that maybe remained in Italy:
about Carlo Broda
Name: Carlo Broda
Home in 1920: Township 5, Merced, California
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Marital Status: Married
Year of Immigration: 1915
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Image: 920
Joe L Fergundes 29
Frank L Fergundes 19
John S Corea 26
Bernardino Moreira 35
Manuel Rodrigues 37
Robert F Belcher 24
J F Rosa 19
Antone Augusta 24
Antone F Cardosa 19
Henry Wilson 50
Carlo Broda 47
John F Branco 24
so maybe Beatrice was some friend....
also George Broda was born in Italy so the mother was italian also....
the Carlo Broda arrival:

First Name: Carlo
Last Name: Broda
Ethnicity: Italian, North
Last Place of Residence: Mancalvo*, Italy
Date of Arrival: Feb 26, 1914
Age at Arrival: 41y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Olympic
Port of Departure: Cherbourg, France
Manifest Line Number: 0010
* Moncalvo
in travel with Giuseppe Broda ( maybe George Broda was really Giuseppe Broda) age 15, wife/mother Angela Broda in Moncalvo, both joining at friend Giulio Cassina, 1126 Clay st San Francisco..

what sound strange for me is the George Broda death record....
but George Broda was living in 1920:
raf

Hi,
born the 10 Aug 1900 in Italy, son of Carlo Broda, and living in Merced, Merced, California; but my search ended abt this man, because by death record:

instead, this morning, casually, I found the 1920 census.... of George Broda in Merced, Merced, CA;
no doubt: it is the same person, only that in 1920 census he declared that was born in California but from italian parents:
about George Broda

William F Rowell 43
Minnie E Rowell 34
Alice A Rowell 11
Aurora Rowell 9
Virginia Rowell 4
George Broda 19

Now my dilemma is:
as it is possible that this man seeming decesead in 1918 by death records but he is living in 1920???
Some suggestion?

All the best,
raf

Raf,

I think you are on to something here. I emailed Annasmom that GB looked Italian to me because I was married to a man who had, (don't laugh) the same nose. About a day before I emailed her, I was sitting here and just thought "wonder if he is on FB" no reason why, it just popped into my head, he is. I also told her that his mother changed the way they spelled the name, because she didn't like it. It was "Chiodo", she changed it (not legally) to Chioda. They just (all of them) started to write it and spell it that way. All the kids when they went to school, everyone in his family. I found this out when they had a family reunion. The name was spelled with an "O" on the place card at the park. I thought they made a mistake. So this is IMO an important lead. I don't know where it will go, but I am glad we are going down this road....

Hi Bern,
when I found George Broda(I suppose that him italian name was Giuseppe Broda) it was one of better option abt who was our GB... but, when I found the death record in 1918, I stopped... today I found it again, living in 1920 census.. it declared that was born in California and that the him language was "italian"; the word "italian" is crossed.. for a italian descent born in USA it is impossible no speak english... I am sure that he is the same George Broda on WWI draft reg. card; now I cannot explain why it are a death record in 1918 abt George Broda; the surname is of East Europe origin... ex Yogoslavia, Austria, Poland, Hungary etc... In Italy the little number of Broda I know not where they came from, surely I believe is not a italian surname to 100%, almost in the past time....
but many peoples came in Italy and many italian came in other countries, so it is possible that the Broda branche in Italy, was in origin from other Europe country... just my idea...
I cannot say if our GB had a italian face; I can say that our GB had a banal face...
I cannot find George Broda in 1930 census... the finding could be helpful, but this morning I searched and no found.. seeming... desappeared... he and the Carlo, the father...
all the best,
raf

Hi,

about George Broda

William F Rowell 43
Minnie E Rowell 34
Alice A Rowell 11
Aurora Rowell 9
Virginia Rowell 4
George Broda 19

Now my dilemma is:
Some suggestion?

All the best,
raf

This is for anyone, If GB is this George Broda is there a way to see if there is a SS# for anyone living in Merced CA around that time? GB erased his past, he had no birth date, SSN, no family history, but he had to have something very early on, or he couldn't work. At some point he disappeared off the radar. So how can we see it these are one in the same?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back