Found Deceased TN - Sanjay 'Sam' Patel, 44, Memphis, 5 Oct 2016

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
12118846_G.jpg

According to the police, Sanjay Patel "AKA" Sam, was last seen leaving 5 Star Wine & Liquor on 2821 Houston Levee with a black male acquaintance in a black pickup truck.
Indian male
5'6'', 160 lbs,
black hair,
black eyes
last seen wearing a brown shirt and black pants.

possibly in a black Ford F-150 pickup truck.

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/33359929/city-watch-issued-for-man-missing-for-5-days

This may be nothing, but a few years ago, a man by this same name was wanted in my county.

http://bedfordcountysheriff.org/hel...iffs-office-identify-and-locate-sanjay-patel/

I can't say for positive it's the same man. We all called him "SAM", though the release from the police said he went by "SUNNY". He was working at the store the day the release came out, and I called the police and told them he was at the store. He was gone when they got there.

He owns the store he disappeared from and the guy he left with was found dead:
At 10:20 p.m. on Oct. 3, owner Sanjay Patel left the Five Star Liquor and Wine, 2821 N. Houston Levee, to the care of his wife, Shilpa Patel, told her he'd be back, and climbed into the passenger seat of a regular, friendly customer named Marcus, she said. They were to ride in the pickup to the customer's house.

On Tuesday, a Bartlett man named Marcus Perry, 34, was found dead by his brother in Perry's home at 9005 Pembroke Ellis Drive, 3.5 miles from the liquor store.
A cause of death was unavailable Friday evening, but a Bartlett Police report states Perry's body was found face-down in his bed, with a Glock handgun pointed toward his head.

The brother told officers on Tuesday that he had not heard from Marcus for seven to 10 days, and broke into the home when no one answered the door.

Memphis Police officers arrived at the house even before some Bartlett Police officers arrived. The Memphis officers told Bartlett authorities that Perry had been a suspect in an open, missing-person investigation, but the Bartlett Police report did not name the missing person.

Bartlett authorities are investigating Perry's death; Memphis Police are investigating Patel's disappearance; and it's unclear what, if any, connection exists between the two cases.

Read more: http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...wner-missing-after-leaving-customer/92070328/

Sounds like a mess. What situation could possibly need to end with two dead?

Sounds like a mess. What situation could possibly need to end with two dead?

I feel like it LOOKS like a murder suicide but I just don't know why?!?

Business deal gone bad?

Personal relationship/affair gone bad?

Revenge for something? A mob hit?

:scared:

This may be nothing, but a few years ago, a man by this same name was wanted in my county.

http://bedfordcountysheriff.org/hel...iffs-office-identify-and-locate-sanjay-patel/

I can't say for positive it's the same man. We all called him "SAM", though the release from the police said he went by "SUNNY". He was working at the store the day the release came out, and I called the police and told them he was at the store. He was gone when they got there.

Patel is a very common Indian last name and Sanjay is a common name as well, right up there with Raj.

OT:
This movie is a great way to learn more about the Patels!

http://www.meetthepatelsfilm.com/

:)

I feel like it LOOKS like a murder suicide but I just don't know why?!?

Business deal gone bad?

Personal relationship/affair gone bad?

Revenge for something? A mob hit?

:scared:

A murder-suicide with more time between the two events than we typically see. I wonder if he made threats using email or text messaging. Or admitted his guilt in a suicide note.

Maybe after he killed Sanjay (but why? real or perceived wrong? revenge? love? accident?) he became overcome with guilt or fear of what would happen to him?

Strange is right.

A body has not been found. Police found evidence indicating that Patel was deceased, I wonder how conclusive the evidence is. I wonder if the police
are holding out on complete information because they are looking for another individual. I certainly understand that they cannot officially conclude
that a person is deceased until they know this for a fact. It almost seems to me that they are trying to draw someone out.

It was very sad to hear his son ask for anyone to call the police if they have information.

I agree Gardenerr1850 - with what we have it rings of a murder/suicide. That's where my thoughts are. As to the "why" of it ... I suppose any one of the scenarios you posed would fit. Both of these men are described as happy and well-liked, were they not?

ETA I think Bluesneakers nailed it

Some more about the evidence:
Schaber would not discuss what, exactly, that evidence is.

“(It’s) digital media,” she said. “It was not a confession, I can tell you that. We have no suicide note, no confession, nothing like that.”

Perry has multiple arrests in Memphis for DUI and disorderly conduct. He was also once charged with having a handgun while intoxicated. He does not have a record in Bartlett, Schaber said.

The Bartlett police report says Perry was found face-down in his bed, with a Glock handgun pointed toward his head. Police are still waiting on the medical examiner to confirm that it was a suicide.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...-store-owner-feared-dead-police-say/92373420/

BBM.

What could it be?

Could it be he was intoxicated and carrying again and unintentionally shot Patel?

Or maybe there's the possibility Patel shot him and ran then killed himself.

No idea what the evidence might be. Unless it's a photo. That's a disturbing thought.

What could it be?

Could it be he was intoxicated and carrying again and unintentionally shot Patel?

Or maybe there's the possibility Patel shot him and ran then killed himself.

No idea what the evidence might be. Unless it's a photo. That's a disturbing thought.

Photo was my thought, but IDK. All I can think is that maybe someone paid Perry to kill Patel and then send evidence. Perhaps he texted a photo of Patel dead and that was on the phone. Since Perry's death strongly looks like suicide but police are not saying this was definitively a suicide there could be evidence to indicate someone else killed him and staged it to look like suicide. It's all very mysterious though!

This Indian news source says Sanjay Patel was found murdered but there may be a language misunderstanding. I don't think they have found his body yet:
Mahesana: In yet another incident of killing of a person of Gujarati origin in the US, a native of Mahesana district living in Cardova community of Shelby County in the landlocked southern state of Tennessee, who had gone missing almost a week ago has been found murdered.

The family members of Sanjay Patel, a native of Aakhaj village in Mahesana who had migrated to the US almost two decades ago, said today that he had gone missing from his wine shop on October 11.
http://deshgujarat.com/2016/10/19/yet-another-person-of-gujarati-origin-murdered-in-us/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The doors were locked and a sign welcoming customers was turned off.

Five Star Wine and Spirits was closed 15 days after the owner disappeared.
"We didn't really know what to think," Danni Nguien said.
People who know Sanjay "Sam" Patel said he is a good guy and loved by many.
"It's a shock. Especially with it being somebody that's literally next door to you and somebody you see everyday," Daniel Brown told WREG.
http://wreg.com/2016/10/18/evidence-reveals-missing-liquor-store-owner-might-be-dead/

Photo was my thought, but IDK. All I can think is that maybe someone paid Perry to kill Patel and then send evidence. Perhaps he texted a photo of Patel dead and that was on the phone. Since Perry's death strongly looks like suicide but police are not saying this was definitively a suicide there could be evidence to indicate someone else killed him and staged it to look like suicide. It's all very mysterious though!

BBM
I think this is a definite possibility! With the way it was originally reported, the wording seemed strange. IF he did murder Sam, then comitted suicide after leaving evidence on his phone, why would he have bothered to hide the body? Just doesn't make sense to me! :gaah:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back