IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the beginning it seems LE has focused on the lake. I guess they have to start from somewhere and since the bikes were found there, it's a logical place to begin.

I have felt all along that these little girls are in the lake, that perhaps one of them got in too deep, and the other girl tried to come to her rescue. But I do wonder about what happened to their flip-flops - someone in a previous post mentioned that the flip-flops would probably have floated to the surface by now.

If they aren't in the lake then I am as bewildered as everyone else as to how these girls disappeared.

I thought they were swimming and then drowned in the lake in the beginning too based on something that happened to me when I was a child so I know exactly what happens when a child tries to save another child from drowning.

We were camping at a lake when my sister and I were about 8 and 10 (I'm older). My sis was looking at pretty rocks on the lake bed and I watched her as she crouched down to look at one or pick it up and she just tipped right over and rolled right into the lake which had a drop off and no gradual sloping of the waters edge. I looked around and my aunt who was supposed to be watching us was no where to be found so, I jumped in after her. In her panic, when she felt me she instinctively wrapped her legs around my legs and tried to climb up my body to escape. This pushed me down under the water and no way to kick my legs.

We would have both drowned if a really grouchy old man hadn't seen us and jumped in with all of his clothes on to save us. He was SO mad that no one was watching us. (My aunt had accidentally fallen asleep in the van which was parked nearby).

After one look at Meyers Lake I don't know why anyone would swim in that muck, it's disgusting water. I wouldn't swim in there OR eat any kind of fish that came out of there. Nasty!

At this point, I do believe that the girls were either abducted or went willingly with someone who had very bad intentions.

IMO, JMO, MOO

As I type this, it is 12:06 pm here in Iowa.

The temperature here (90 miles and southwest of Evansdale) is 85 F right now. That's over the limit for flying in dogs.

Last night, it didn't drop to 84 degrees here until it was almost dark out (8:30 pm or so).

Getting dogs in and out of Iowa by air in the summer is always a dicy business.

Are they bringing more dogs to help search too? I thought it was just divers? Or do they always send out a cadaver dog on a boat with the divers to help direct the search area?

Here is what truly baffles me about this whole case. If the police even thought for a minute that a random abduction occurred, wouldn't it be prudent to put out cautioned warnings to area residents? They seem to be steering the residents towards a feeling of security that this is not the case. I can understand not wanting to cause a panic or uproar, but I would at the very least warn residents to supervise their kids closely. Or are they doing that and Ive missed it? Everything I have read/seen seems to indicate the authorities don't believe there to be a threat to local children.

not sure what you mean... ?

The articles posted seem to indicate they stopped draining last night when it reached the level they needed it to be at and now the divers are on the way to complete the search with their specialized equipment.

One of the articles posted said that it took two weeks the last time they drained the lake so it seems they are moving along as quickly as possible:moo:

Maybe I'm too much of a planner. Sonar was already done previously so they would know the depth of the whole lake and calculate how long it takes for it to recede a foot and continuing to update by periodic measure ? Just me....;)

brought from last thread, im almost caught up...

This is absolutely terrifying! i hope they figured out who this freak is....
Thanx CN2 for all of the insight of the area... wow

<snipped from cn2souls post>
3/3/2012 ROCKFORD, IA - ROCKFORD (WREX) -
Rockford Police are looking for a suspect that they say attempted to abduct a child Monday afternoon.
A 10-year-old girl was walking down the street in the 1300 block of 31st Street Monday afternoon when she noticed a man following her in a pick-up truck. The man parked the truck and began to follow the girl. She started to run and he continued to follow her all the way to her home.
http://www.kwwl.com/story/17321526/r...child-abuction

I know a lot of locals have said it is very unlikely that the girls would swim in this lake,
but I wonder if they would have gone into the water to get away from someone on shore? For instance, if they happened upon some older boys loitering in this hidden part of the trail, the boys start hassling them, force them off their bikes, throw their purse over the fence, chase them into the water, and the girls swim too far out to get back.

Oh, duh....I guess I forgot that I should read every word and not try speed reading. I swear I read that 10 times and didn't 'get' it. I should start drinking coffee again.

Thanks!

She failed a drug test and was violated.

Yes... I would think LE should investigate the source of this comment. It does not have the feel of a random psychic to me... it is either valid, or someone with a vendetta against an old boyfriend/husband, or a complete nut job. An interview with "V", the poster, should prove useful in terms of what is going on. I hope LE knows about the comments????

I just called the tipline, this user did contact the police 3 different times, buy the sound of the operator, it was not a great tip, and they are frustrated that he keeps trying to put his foot in this case.

I'm hoping by writing this that we can all stop calling them about this tip, as it is tying up the lines for useful tips.

Are they bringing more dogs to help search too? I thought it was just divers? Or do they always send out a cadaver dog on a boat with the divers to help direct the search area?

Oooops... nevermind.

I saw the article on Google, didn't read the date and didn't realise it was an article from last weekend.

My apologies.

Maybe I'm too much of a planner. Sonar was already done previously so they would know the depth of the whole lake and calculate how long it takes for it to recede a foot and continuing to update by periodic measure ? Just me....;)

I believe there are different types of sonar - I read a recent article where a PD wants to get more sophisticated sonar that can go sideways rather than downwards. I know nothing about the technology, so please don't quote me on that.

Anyway, maybe the FBI will be using more sophisticated equipment.

Here is what truly baffles me about this whole case. If the police even thought for a minute that a random abduction occurred, wouldn't it be prudent to put out cautioned warnings to area residents? They seem to be steering the residents towards a feeling of security that this is not the case. I can understand not wanting to cause a panic or uproar, but I would at the very least warn residents to supervise their kids closely. Or are they doing that and Ive missed it? Everything I have read/seen seems to indicate the authorities don't believe there to be a threat to local children.

No official alert has been issued, but be assured that all parents are on high alert. Even driving through Waterloo and Cedar Falls I have seen very few children outside. the ones I have seen are older teens and the younger children are in the accompany of an adult. this is not the norm...usually I see kids walking/skateboarding down town Cedar Falls and kids on their bikes every where. Even the local Lake and Beach in Waterloo (George Wyth) has had fewer people out there, which is odd for as hot as it has been.

Ollipop put it perfectly...us Iowans are like ducks on the water....calm on the surface but paddling like a *advertiser censored* underneath!

Based only on my own experience in following cases, LE rarely seems to put out such warnings. Not just in Iowa, it's a general thing all over the US and Canada.

And really, a warning doesn't seem necessary to me. Posters who live in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area say that they aren't seeing kids without adults. Even in my small town 90 miles away, there aren't any kids out playing alone, which is very unlike usual (even in the horrid heat waves we've been having).

My husband said that when he went to Wal-Mart yesterday, people were keeping their children under much tighter rein than usual.

My own road fits the Iowa definition of "really out in the boonies" because you have to take a gravel road to get to my gravel road. And yet, even way out here in the boonies, the neighbour's kids are nowhere to be seen.

I don't think a warning would make anyone who isn't already supervising their kids closely do so.

I';m watching the local news kwwl and they just did some live shots from the lake and also interviewed an FBI agent who said something about Polys. But my kids were fighting and I missed most of it

http://www.kwwl.com/
there is the website but the noon broadcast isn't available yet, but will be up there later

Ok, things must be different where I am from. The police go to the local elementary schools here and we, as parents, are cautioned to be on the lookout for any suspicious activity. This occurs if a child is missing over 24 hours. It happened a year and a half ago and is still vividly in my mind. Erring on the side of caution, I guess. The child was fine, BTW.

Adding to this...there has also been comments on the Waterloo/Cedar Falls courier live comments section that the divers would need to be briefed, get their plan, etc. before they dive - which could by why the dive may not happen until tomorrow.
These people are only coming from California...which on a normal commercial flight would take maybe 4-6 hours (if they came through Chicago...which God willing they are on a DIRECT FLIGHT and not taking their time). They had known as of yesterday they were coming in, so why couldn't they be briefed, and get their plan in place on that plane ride? I know I am just rushing things and there are measures that need to be taken, but geez...these families are beside themselves...get them in the water immediately! It really shouldn't take an immense amount of planning...this body of water is NOT that big.

I also find it hard to believe that the original dragging of the lake/sonar/wading searchers would not have found them if they were in there. I don't believe for one second that if those girls DID get in some boat (as pp have suggested) that no one would have seen this boat. The deep parts would NOT be near the edges, which then puts them out in the open. If it was a drowning I also find it hard to believe that some sort of thrashing/arm movement (between the 2 of them) would have gone unnoticed.

I also don't think anyone could have disposed of their bodies in that lake without someone seeing SOMETHING either. Whether it's as simple as "yes, while I was out there walking/riding etc. I did see a boat over in X area."

Maybe a savvy reporter will ask? Certainly a good question, imo. Although there has been no sign of foul play for LE, he could caution the public to up their dilegence by locking doors, being more aware of their surrounds and keeping an extra eye on children. It should be a given... but just remind them. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie