Reaction score
Kathaleen Elizabeth Hine

hine_kathaleen.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: January 15, 1972 from Palmetto, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: August 29, 1920
Height and Weight: 5'3, 120 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Kathaleen has very small feet; her shoes size is four or five. She has a deep scar on her left upper arm from a smallpox vaccination, and a vertical Cesarean section scar on her abdomen. She has had a dozen surgeries with resulting scarring. Some agencies state Kathaleen's name as "Kathaleen Elizabeth Folk-Hine." Her nickname is Kay. Kathaleen had a cast on her left forearm at the time of her disappearance. She has RH-negative blood. She has a hereditary hair deformity and has little to no hair as a result; she wears wigs to cover up the defect. Kathaleen wears a partial dental plate in her bottom teeth. She had a deep tan at the time of her 1972 disappearance. She wears prescription sunglasses.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A dark-colored sweater, light blue Levi's jeans, a watch with a black band, and a plain gold wedding band on her left hand.
Medical Conditions: Kathaleen has a lung disorder and arthritis in her back. She was taking medication at the time of her disappearance. She did not have the medicine with her when she vanished.

Details of Disappearance
Kathaleen's husband, Gilbert Charles Hine Sr., told police he last saw her at the Palmetto Agricultural Center at the Manatee County Fairgrounds in Palmetto, Florida. She was supposed to help out at the fair's poultry barn that day, but witnesses stated that they never saw Kathaleen at the fairgrounds. She has never been heard from again. Foul play is suspected in Kathaleen's disappearance. She left behind her eyeglasses, her medication, and her purse when she disappeared. After her disappearance, Gilbert deeded to himself some property that was held in both their names. The paperwork he submitted bore Kathaleen's signature, although she had been missing for years. In other papers filed later, Gilbert listed his wife as deceased.One of Kathaleen's daughters, Debra Dingeldine, says she got a phone call from her mother on the day she disappeared. Dingeldine says Kathaleen said she wanted to talk to her about something important, then she screamed, and after that the call was cut off. Dingeldine drove immediately to Kathaleen's house in the 3200 block of north Rye Road in Parrish, Florida and found signs of a struggle there, including overturned furniture. Kathaleen was missing and so was her .38 Special revolver, but its holster was found lying on her bedroom floor. Gilbert never reported Kathaleen missing. He told police that she had been having affairs with other men and probably ran away with one of them, but Kathaleen's children say this is untrue and have stated their beliefs that she was murdered and probably never went to the fairgrounds the day of her disappearance. Gilbert, who is now in his eighties, eventually hired an attorney and stopped cooperating with police. He has never been charged in connection with his wife's case, which is unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Manatee County Sheriff's Department
941-747-3011

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hine_kathaleen.html

You posted this yesterday January 15, 2008. It's 36 years ;)

Well, the husband's behavior is suspicious to say the least but if LE found no evidence it's doubtful this will ever be solved. :(

Agree that the husband's behavior is strange in the sense that he did things at the time that I don't think most people in this situation would do. It would be interesting to see the extent of which he was questioned and the answers that he gave to LE.

If they could find some evidence that somehow had Kathaleen's and his DNA on it, other than a place were they would not have been or shared, it might give important information to this case. My inquiry, while I guess, the 640000 question is. Where was the husband during the day and in the times following his wife's disappearance? What time of the day did the daughter receive the alleged phone call from what she claimed was her mother? Where did Kathaleen's husband claim to be during this phone call? What was the couple's marriage like? assets? health issues? insurance policies?

I think her husband knows more than what is here. Not enough evidence to charge him in connection to his wife's disappearance. However, it sure sounds like foul play is involved.

Satch

everything points to the husband including his actions afterward. That said with no body or hard evidence linking him to her disappearance and probable murder there is no case against him legally. Still this one is pretty obvious.

I am thinking that too, Whistler,

He probably killed Kathleen, and hid the body. But there's no hard evidence to charge him with anything. Even the fact stated that he "stopped cooperating with investigators" is very strong evidence that he has something to hide.

Satch

It's interesting that they never arrested him for her murder/disappearance.
In my state, our first (and I think, our only) "no body" case was similar to this, but what prompted police to re-investigate the woman's murder was the disappearance of another woman with whom the murderer was associated a couple years later. At first, the police chalked up the "no body" victim as having run off. For years, the husband kept up the ruse, and claimed she called or he ran into her, when, in fact, she was dead. When the second woman went missing, the first victim's family pressured investigators into taking their claim that her husband had killed her seriously. What cinched it for the grand jury who passed down the indictment was the preponderance of circumstantial evidence, namely, that she was legally blind without her glasses and she'd left them behind. It seems to me very similar circumstances, except for the subsequent missing person. He did get convicted of fourth degree murder (now manslaughter) and served 6 out of a 10 year sentence. Decades later, in exchange for extradition from Texas, he confessed to three murders and led police to their bodies, one of them being the "no body" victim. Due to double jeopardy, they couldn't retry him for that, but at least her family had closure and could lay her to rest, and he is serving 2 life sentences for the other two murders.

I am thinking that too, Whistler,

He probably killed Kathleen, and hid the body. But there's no hard evidence to charge him with anything. Even the fact stated that he "stopped cooperating with investigators" is very strong evidence that he has something to hide.

Satch

Usually, I disagree with a lack of cooperation indicating guilt, we all have the right to protect ourselves from self-incrimination, but in this case, there is more evidence pointing in that maybe it is, even if it's circumstantial. If he forged his wife's name, he should have been arrested for fraud (if he were, it doesn't say) and if he claimed it was really her, then he'd should have had to "produce" her.

Oh wow he confessed to 3 murders?? Were they his wives? In Florida or Texas this is so interesting I had not read that. But they still never found Kathaleen.? I also ready I believe he died.

It's interesting that they never arrested him for her murder/disappearance.
In my state, our first (and I think, our only) "no body" case was similar to this, but what prompted police to re-investigate the woman's murder was the disappearance of another woman with whom the murderer was associated a couple years later. At first, the police chalked up the "no body" victim as having run off. For years, the husband kept up the ruse, and claimed she called or he ran into her, when, in fact, she was dead. When the second woman went missing, the first victim's family pressured investigators into taking their claim that her husband had killed her seriously. What cinched it for the grand jury who passed down the indictment was the preponderance of circumstantial evidence, namely, that she was legally blind without her glasses and she'd left them behind. It seems to me very similar circumstances, except for the subsequent missing person. He did get convicted of fourth degree murder (now manslaughter) and served 6 out of a 10 year sentence. Decades later, in exchange for extradition from Texas, he confessed to three murders and led police to their bodies, one of them being the "no body" victim. Due to double jeopardy, they couldn't retry him for that, but at least her family had closure and could lay her to rest, and he is serving 2 life sentences for the other two murders.

Yes, sorry for the confusion, I was referencing my state's first "no body" case, which was in Maine in 1984, stemming from a 1977 disappearance. He confessed to 3 murders to avoid the incarceration in TX for attempted murder. I was pointing out the similarities in the case, and how my state had been successful in getting a conviction for a "no body" case, based on overwhelming circumstantial evidence, even though the sentence was very light.

Yes, sorry for the confusion, I was referencing my state's first "no body" case, which was in Maine in 1984, stemming from a 1977 disappearance. He confessed to 3 murders to avoid the incarceration in TX for attempted murder. I was pointing out the similarities in the case, and how my state had been successful in getting a conviction for a "no body" case, based on overwhelming circumstantial evidence, even though the sentence was very light.

Still a bit confused, so the reference to the "Three Murder Confession" is not Mr. Hine? If it is GH, I would now say, "He killed Kathaleen."

Satch

Omg you have me rolling here hahaha! Yes... Iam floating in a most peculiar way ... And the stars look very different today!..... I loooove Bowie always have and always will! my first dog was named Bowie after David..... Ok sorry I totally digressed ...
Same here :ufo:This is ground control to major DaisyChains!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back