Hurricane Irene barrels toward Puerto Rico, Possibly U.S.

Dark Knight

Reaction score
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Tropical Storm Irene barreled toward Puerto Rico late Sunday after hitting St. Croix, packing heavy rains and winds that closed airports and flooded low-lying areas in the Leeward Islands.

The fast-moving storm, moving west-northwest at roughly 15 mph (24 kph), was taking an unpredictable path that left people in the islands of the U.S. Caribbean anxious about the winds and rain to come.

The center's current forecast has Irene hitting southern Florida as a hurricane by Thursday.

http://news.yahoo.com/tropical-storm-irene-barrels-toward-puerto-rico-160652097.html

Ugh...Prayers it misses us. I'm 14 miles west of Cape Canaveral so I'm praying hard.

Oh, boy, here we go. I went over our hurricane checklist today. If one comes our way, we're as ready as we can be. Nothing to do now but wait and see. Good luck, Reality Orlando. Prayers for everyone.

Oh, boy, here we go. I went over our hurricane checklist today. If one comes our way, we're as ready as we can be. Nothing to do now but wait and see. Good luck, Reality Orlando. Prayers for everyone.

Yes, good luck to you as well. We're in a wood home so I always panic:chicken: I still need my extra gas container for the grill and batteries. Too early to start boarding windows...we'll know better by Tuesday. I'm really hoping for a hard turn to the north at this point.

I just saw the models on TWC and many are now showing a HIGH probablilty of iRene making landfall in the Cape Fear area along the NC coast. I will have to evacuate if it heads this way as a CAT 2 because I live on an island. EEk! I am trying not to panic too early but still....EEk!

wm

Some serious things going on, should have news by 8:15. We really need to be paying attention to the monster storm. Its at a cat 2 now.

I have friends spending the night in Key West because they have a very early flight out of EYW ( a planned vaca) & they are concerned about what may happen to their house in the middle keys while they are away. Another friend has spent the summer at his Key West cottage & is torn because he doesn't want to leave but has never experienced a hurricane..... so, tonight they are all partying on Duval. DeNile isn't only a river in Egypt. Of course, the long time Conchs luv a storm party. Geez!

I've been checking out all the updates, models, etc. She's quite impressive and strengthening rapidly. Both Florida coasts should stay on alert because the steering currents aren't strong enough to make a solid prediction at this point. I just hope she doesn't stall.

I'm just appreciated that Irene isn't going to seriously affect Haiti.

ok - 11 o'clock advisory and also Max Mayfield's take from the local news.

The BIG news is she is now expected to reach Cat 4 around the Central Bahamas. CAT 4!!!

The troughs above the system is what is "clogging" the forecast and Max said they just don't know how strong or when those troughs will kick in. When they do it will move her more northward. There is a plane going in around 3-ish this AM to investigate the steering currents and he said the 5AM forecast will have a little more confidence once they get that plane's data.

This one now has me worried. She is going to be starring us down by Wed night and possibly be a Cat 4. She's a big storm and regardless if she stays offshore, we will get "something". I really don't wanna think about her coming right at us - yet.

Tomorrow morning should have some more reliable data - plus they said they will probably post our watches then as well.

everyone be safe. ♥ Do we know if we ready with scanner feed?

I just saw the models on TWC and many are now showing a HIGH probablilty of iRene making landfall in the Cape Fear area along the NC coast. I will have to evacuate if it heads this way as a CAT 2 because I live on an island. EEk! I am trying not to panic too early but still....EEk!

wm

Prayers for you and your neighbors.

Well the only good thing is hopefully enough rain will fall and put the fire out in NC "The great dismal swamp fire"

What a nailbiter! Trough lifting out, ridge backing up to the west, new eyewall formation, and she's barreling along. I wouldn't be surprised to see the models shift westward some time tomorrow.

What a nailbiter! Trough lifting out, ridge backing up to the west, new eyewall formation, and she's barreling along. I wouldn't be surprised to see the models shift westward some time tomorrow.

Does she look like she's shifted a bit more West already? I thought earlier on the edge of the "rain" was over FL. I'm praying she gets caught up in one of those Northeast currents that shifts her out to sea and everyone is safe.

This Cat 4 prediction sitting off my coastline is very scary. I might just be spending the end of the week over on the gulf.
Nightmares of Andrew always coming flooding back to mind.

wm

5-AM forecast is out now and since you mentioned you live on an island I'd be making plans to be gone by late Thursday or early Friday. It looks like it's firming up for around the Wilmington area when it strikes.

If you choose a motel inland I'd make reservations early because every room maybe taken if people wait too long. Saw this happen in an evacuation in Savannah once. Fill up the car and get cash ASAP.

Islanders need to get out early - IMO

Here's a link to the Navy tracking map.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/htdocs_d.../tc11/ATL/09L.IRENE/ssmi/gif/full/Latest.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74
Back