For WM3 supporters re if Echols admits guilt

Smelly Squirrel

Reaction score
Questions for supporters. If Echols admits guilt, as is being reported, will you change your mind about their guilt?

I don't consider myself a supporter or a non but I believe a new trial is in order. As for a plea of no contest, personally I wouldn't do it if I hadn't committed the crime but I do understand why they might.

Questions for supporters. If Echols admits guilt, as is being reported, will you change your mind about their guilt?

Yes, I would. At least about Echols' guilt.

Question back - if the State accepts a no contest plea, would non-supporters be willing to rethink their conviction of the wm3's guilt?

I certainly understand if Echols pleads no contest. Regardless if he's guilty or not, wouldn't anyone in their right mind plea to anything to get off of death row? I would without a doubt -- even if someone said I killed a dozen people that I didn't.

I'm not going to listen to the media at this point, as the people in the know are under a gag order. However, if Echols' attorney's tell him to plead to get out of jail, I'm sure he'll do it in a heartbeat.

Personally, I wouldn't hold it against him.

MOO - please and thanks.

Mel

Given the politics involved in this case (Ellison the prosecutor thinking of running for Congress and McDaniels the AG running for governor), anything the WM3 plead to is bogus. Why would the State accept a plea deal for time served when they already had them in prison for life and one on Death Row? Only one reason makes any logical sense to me - the State fears the upcoming hearing and what will be revealed.

The political types don't want any more egg on their faces, so they don't want the hearing. This sudden hearing is proof that they don't want the world wide attention that the December hearing would have garnered. Also, doing this basically a month before Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory is to be broadcast on HBO tends to make me believe that this is all a ploy to save face on the part of the prosecution.

I don't believe any of the three will plead guilty tomorrow. I believe they might plead no lo contendre but not guilty. If some of the rumors out there are true (TH in custody), I doubt that they'll plead to anything. They'll have all charges dropped, the State will support the defense's motion for a new trial and then immediately announce that they will not retry, <modsnip> But that's just my opinion. We'll all know in a few hours.

I supposed it will depend on what kind of admission it is, if it happens. If could be a generic "yes" to "do you admit to committing the crime?" or it could be a more detailed statement with no qualifications and including details.

He is not admitting guilt. That is a negative spin anti-supporters are spinning. Yeah sure, they have" evidence" they could use to possibly convict them. They already did once. After the three men are free lets really look at all of the evidence and get the perpetrators in jail.

"Alford plea (see North Carolina v. Alford, 400 U.S. 25, 91 S.Ct. 160 (1970)) (when a defendant maintains his or her innocence with respect to the charge to which he or she offers to plead guilty)"

&#8212;United States Department of Justice

From what I'm reading, it looks like either a no lo contendere plea or the Alford plea. Either way, as I understand it, the three will be free. The biggest problem is that the State could imply that they're really guilty and not investigate the real killer. Tomorrow will tell.

I have never been wrongly convicted of a crime I didn't commit.

I have never been believed to be the brutal killer of a child, or 2, or 3.

I have never spent half of my life in prison for those crimes I didn't commit.

I cannot judge them if they plead no contest or not guilty.

Would I want to risk going through another trial IF one was even granted?

Probably not.

I would probably admit to killing Abe Lincoln and JFK if they would let me out with time served.

Whether they plead no contest, plead guilty, or get new trials... my opinion won't change.

I will feel bad... if they have to admit guilt. But I will not be angry. The goal all along has been to FREE innocent men.

Hopefully exonerating them and convicting the person who should be in prison for the crimes.

However, the priority was freeing the innocent people. If that happens, I will be content with that.

From what I'm reading, it looks like either a no lo contendere plea or the Alford plea. Either way, as I understand it, the three will be free. The biggest problem is that the State could imply that they're really guilty and not investigate the real killer. Tomorrow will tell.

I thought only 2 were being released.

I'm just gonna' say it. I don't think the WM3 killed anyone, I think an adult did it. I think all 3 should be released.

As far as a plea, I can see taking anything to get off death row, anything. I can also understand being afraid to go out into the world now that you have spent your entire adult life in jail.

I just don't think they did it.

No way! I'd admit I was the anti-Christ if it meant getting out of prison. Especially if it was for a crime I didn't commit! He seems to have turned his life around while in prison as well.
Now, if only the other innocent victims of this justice system were offered the same publicity and support!!!

If I was on death row and had the chance to get out I would do anything. Even admit guilt if I was innocent. I would not sit there based on principle.

I agree with most posters... whatever it takes, within reason, so the three men, wrongly tried and convicted, IMHO, when they were boys... can walk free today. I will not care to read comments from others if they plead guilty; but I have faith that Judge Laser will do the very best he can in the highly political climate of Joneboro/West Memphis.
Free WM3 today.

I'm about 98% sure that they're innocent but there's still that small part of me that wonders. I do think they definitely deserve a new trial if nothing else.

As others have said, if I were on death row or in prison for life and I was given the opportunity to get out if I admitted guilt, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think anyone who says that wouldn't is lying or not thinking clearly. I wouldn't hold it against them. MOO 'n stuff.

I agree with most posters... whatever it takes, within reason, so the three men, wrongly tried and convicted, IMHO, when they were boys... can walk free today. I will not care to read comments from others if they plead guilty; but I have faith that Judge Laser will do the very best he can in the highly political climate of Joneboro/West Memphis.
Free WM3 today.

OT:
Go you Packers, go go!! ;) I'm excited for the game tonight!

So is there no anti-supporter who can answer my question?

If the state concedes to a no contest plea, will you change your mind about the West Memphis Three's innocence?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back