All things swine flu (H1N1)

MistyM

Reaction score
per CNN newsconference. waiting for a link to show up.

Please if you or anyone you know gets sick with flulike symptoms please go get tested so that they can have a better idea of how this is spreading!

I think I have it. Syumptoms coming on strong as day goes on, fever, aches, fatigue, chills, nausea, etc. I hope it is a 24 hour bug and all, and not swine flu.

Everybody take care-- stay vigilant, alert, and wash your hands!!

Everybody take care-- stay vigilant, alert, and wash your hands!!
Good advice, all.

One more thing...

DON'T PANIC!!!

I predict the most massive wave of Sophomore Syndrome in recent history.

But still be vigilant, and sensible.

I'm surprised that there isn't more discussion of the 1918 flu pandemic. There will be.

My Uhh Ohh moment was when they mentioned that the patient demographics were including more healthy young adults than normal. Check out this graph from this Wiki article.

My advice is to stock up on foods, stay home if you can, and shop when you expect the least amount of people present.

Not too far fetched, but if you're more suseptible to respiratory infections than most, and have to be out, wear a face mask in public, and do not touch your hands to your face until you've washed them. If you have to go to a doctor's office, same deal. You don't have any idea why others are there. Job #1 protect yourself & your families.

Firsthand accounts from Mexico:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm

Some reports have over 200 people now dead. Schools, theaters, shops closed.
Read the first comment from the doctor, who saw two interns at his hospital come down with it and die, even though they had gotten the flu vaccine.

This is starting to hit home and freak me out. I live in NYC and take mass transit. The thing that scares me the most if it something really did start to spread the city would quarantine NYC, shutting off bridges, ferries, etc and those of us here would not be able to leave if we wanted to. It is good news that people are responding to the meds. I think perhaps there have been statistically so many more deaths in Mexico is because they are an impoverished nation with limited access to the proper anti-biotics they need to take.

Be safe!!

This is SERIOUS you all! Do NOT mess with this. If you even think you have it get in to see your Dr, ASAP!!!! This is spreading like wildfire, and is NOTHING to mess with! The sooner you get diagnosed the better chance you have at getting it cured before it causes anymore damage. Also if it is not in your state yet, don't think that you don't have it. They don't know how it is spreading, as of yet, so you could very well have it, and it be the first in your state. If you do have it, please let us know so we can track it here at Webseluths. That way we may be able to come up with a potentioal way of how it is spreading!!!

BTW New York has 9 potential cases of this.

I think I have it. Syumptoms coming on strong as day goes on, fever, aches, fatigue, chills, nausea, etc. I hope it is a 24 hour bug and all, and not swine flu.

Please go get checked out at your Dr, and let us know. Watch for other family memebers that may contract it from you. Best of luck!

For all everyone that loves to read as I do, here is a book (which I consider the best I've read on the topic) about the 1918 pandemic.

America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918 by Alfred W. Crosby.

Amazing read.

I'm not in a panic. I am just following closely. I had the unfortunate experience to contract the Flu once in my lifetime. I had it in Jan 2000, my oldest daughter caught it too. Within two days after being infected with that particular strain I was hospitalized with pnuemonia, a woman that lived on the next street over came down with it and died, my oldest daughter was also hospitalized. It wasn't a particularily virulent strain of Flu from what I gather, we were just prone to become more ill from it I guess.

It's good news that all of the cases so far reported in the US are milder than in Mexico. Hopefully, this can be contained and burn out quickly.

I'm watching the WHO website and I trust them to alert us if it becomes too out of control, some of the headlines I'm reading in the media seem a bit alarmist.

gaia227. antibiotics won't help anyone; only Tamiflu and Relenza (anti-virals) will work against the flu.

The Committee advised that answers to several specific questions were needed to facilitate its work.

The Committee nevertheless agreed that the current situation constitutes a public health emergency of international concern.

Based on this advice, the Director-General has determined that the current events constitute a public health emergency of international concern, under the Regulations.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2009/h1n1_20090425/en/index.html

Swine Flu was the cause of the 1918 pandemic when est. of 50-100 million people died. This is not the same strain though. Could be better or likely could be worse.

What's scary is that there are infected people walking around who have yet to experience any symptoms. I think there's a 2 day waiting period before becoming symptomatic.

In 8 weeks time this could be spread around the world. A British pilot who'd flown to Mexico and back is now being treated for it in GB.

No certainty yet, but it's likely an airborne disease to move this far this fast. Scary stuff folks.

Total reaches 19 with a couple in Kansas, schoolchildren in New York City and a person in California believed to have mild cases of swine flu. It is not clear yet whether virus is easily transmitted.

Because the virus has popped up in so many locations, there is likely to be a larger outbreak if the virus proves to be highly transmissible

"Having found the virus where we have found it, we are likely to find it in many more places," Schuchat said Saturday. "It is clear that this is widespread, which is why we do not think we can contain spread of this virus."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-flu26-2009apr26,0,2116819.story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back