Explosion Boston Marathon #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I moved to Brookline, I used to take the blue line (MBTA) from Revere, on occasion. Its a city with a small beach/waterfront that has a reputation of being fairly tough. Kelly's Roast Beef is one of its claims to fame - sort of. Alot of "Jersey Shore" types...definitely a place you don't want to be hanging out late at night if you are not from there. The MBTA also has stops at Suffolk Downs (racetrack) so you could say that the area is, ah...somewhat...connected if you know what I mean.

Revere women were often referred to as girls with "big hair"...especially back in the 80s and early 90s.

Much like many cities that are on the outskirts of Boston (proper), like Somerville, Winthrop, Chelsea, etc., there is a mixture of people from various ethnic backgrounds.

Or, in shorthand: Revere is a blue-collar town with a heavily ethnic makeup, but students and young professionals live there, too, because the rent is cheaper.

And finally, a reminder that sadly, we are not alone in tragedy - a wave of bombings took place in Iraq yesterday, killing 27 and injuring over 100. :(

Yes, and interesting to note people are soooo freaked out over the bomb injuries being shown in Boston.

That has been going on for nearly a decade now in the middle east yet thanks to "no war photos" the American public can be blissfully unaware of it. The definition of terrorism specifically says "illegal" activity, so if the activity is considered a "legal" use of force bombing civilians is not terrorism.

Yes, and interesting to note people are soooo freaked out over the bomb injuries being shown in Boston.

That has been going on for nearly a decade now in the middle east yet thanks to "no war photos" the American public can be blissfully unaware of it. The definition of terrorism specifically says "illegal" activity, so if the activity is considered a "legal" use of force bombing civilians is not terrorism.

Even if it's a drone attack on a wedding or funeral procession, or kids going to school :sick:

Before I moved to Brookline, I used to take the blue line (MBTA) from Revere, on occasion. Its a city with a small beach/waterfront that has a reputation of being fairly tough. Kelly's Roast Beef is one of its claims to fame - sort of. Alot of "Jersey Shore" types...definitely a place you don't want to be hanging out late at night if you are not from there. The MBTA also has stops at Suffolk Downs (racetrack) so you could say that the area is, ah...somewhat...connected if you know what I mean.

Revere women were often referred to as girls with "big hair"...especially back in the 80s and early 90s.

Much like many cities that are on the outskirts of Boston (proper), like Somerville, Winthrop, Chelsea, etc., there is a mixture of people from various ethnic backgrounds.
Great job describing the area, may I add the rents in Revere tend to be the lowest in that area. I grew up in Winthrop, and had a Roast Beef sandwich and onion rings at Kelly's two weeks ago, yummy.

I'm sure it's been already done in this thread, but I'd like to call out the media, especially CNN on their horrible initial coverage of this event. The journalism business has become so obsessed with breaking the story that there is no vetting of information anymore, they just throw it up on air and if 50% of correct, they call that a good day. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when you are getting more reliable information from Twitter and Reddit.

As an aside, I dont understand why lack of graphic photos means we are all in denial. I dont need to see it to know it is there. I dont need to see it to feel the horror of it. I am not entitled to see the body parts of peoples loved ones spread all over the place-I get that a crime has been committed against them, whether here or on foreign soil. And in the political arena I have an incredible hatred for the term "collateral damage."

At first I was like 'how can something like this happen at an event like this, with all the security, where was the breakdown'. But after hearing a number of opinions, I think the better view to take is with how dangerous our world is and especially how much of a target the US is:

'It's amazing this doesn't happen more often'.

Report from Revere: 3 young men live in the Revere apt. One was injured in the bomb blast. Occupants of the apartment were questioned-they are Saudi nationals.

As an aside, I dont understand why lack of graphic photos means we are all in denial. I dont need to see it to know it is there. I dont need to see it to feel the horror of it. I am not entitled to see the body parts of peoples loved ones spread all over the place-I get that a crime has been committed against them, whether here or on foreign soil. And in the political arena I have an incredible hatred for the term "collateral damage."

I waver on this. IMO Americans tend to be extremely insular about what goes on in the rest of the world, especially when it comes to war, death, destruction that our own country has had a hand in. We SHOULD see what is happening, and what we have contributed to bringing about. The folks who die around the world should be more than just statistics to us.

At the same time, it seems extremely hypocritical that we should be so protective about Americans who have died, yet we have no problem seeing pics of violence happening far away.

I have no answers. I just wish we here could collectively somehow empathize more with others around the world who live with this kind of violence happening on a regular basis. I don't know how to get us to do that, as a nation. I do encourage everyone to always view a wide range of media from not just the US, but around the world, so that we get a fuller picture.

I don't know. So sad over this, and all violence, wherever it happens. :(

Zippers? Who puts zippers in a freaking bomb??
Nails and blades make sense... but ZIPPERS?! :what:

The thinking behind it is probably that zippers being blasted could act like a knife - long metal tiny "teeth" thrown at a high rate of speed with lots of power behind it, landing the right way, could cut a leg right off.

That's just me imagining it, I could be wrong.

Andrew Ryan ‏@GlobeAndrewRyan 10s
Press conference lineup Gov. Patrick, Mayor Menino, Senator Warren, FBI, ATF, US Attorney, Police Commish Davis, State Police, Suffolk DA

suspicious vehicle in Canton MA-suspicious item inside the vehicle. I would say everyone is on edge...this is near the Baystate School of Technology.

I completely agree with this statement. Thank you, Believe. I watched this developing news from the beginning and had to turn it off. Not because I was in any denial, but because all I could think of were all the friends and family watching the news coverage. The sheer pain that must have gripped their very souls in not knowing where their beloveds were.

I have a friend who went to support the runners of the marathon and it was *hours* before he could be in touch with anyone or anyone to him. He was very lucky, but did hear and feel the force of explosions. He stated the panic he felt for students he was concerned about. It was horrific.

Just my couple of pennies worth of opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021