TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden; believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Montjoy, ignoring this valuable tool disputable? The volumes that I speak of is the deafening silence; the refusal by the TBI to give a press briefing in 472 days..

Media management by LE in missing/murdered persons investigations is critical for a positive outcome. If you take a walk back in time to Darden, TN, on 04/13/2011 and the days/weeks of the initial investigation.

You will witness at least four different spokespersons/PIOs from DCSO & the TBI. Each PIO contradicting and correcting the statements of the ones and prior..
This was not an effective media management strategy, but a recipe for confusion, insuring a lack of transparency, with disasterous results which we are witnessing over 16 months later..
I realize that many folks prolly interpret my comments to be anti Law Enforcement. I am very pro Law Enforcement/Public Safety.. 'Without public safety for our families, we have nothing'..

bbm
Yes. Early on LE publicly stated that Clint and Drew were cleared. A short time later LE (I’m not sure if it was the same branch) came out and stated no one was cleared. IMO LE cast doubt and suspicion in a way to make it look like some people close to Holly are guilty of something. If LE doesn’t want to give the public any info re evidence found, I get it. But why not clear the air, KWIM?

Any larger LE entity that does not use social media is running way behind. Instead, the discussion gets dominated by TC-like sites, pray for Holly sites, let's find Holly sites, and true crime discussion blogs, the majority of which are laughable-if-this-weren't-so-serious and spread a plethora of misinformation and illogical surmise across the internet.

What would be so tough in LE sponsoring its own FB page, at least to let the public know they were still at least thinking about HB? Nothing could be easier. Have the public info officer type a couple sentences a day. Keep the word about the large reward out there and current.

To be even just a little more transparent - even if you reveal nothing whatsoever about your investigation (or "investigation," which seems to be the case here, because hey - who knows?) might just bring that tip that solves this case. But all one can do as of now, internet-wise is visit the TBI site and count the days since the last press release.

Thank God for WS, where we can at least commiserate with one another.

BBM:
But...but... they do. Everyday that this is not gone:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/holly-bobo/view

is a press release. Kwim?

Yes, I know there are legions who check that site daily, not. Social media is a changing thing, something one thinks to check. A government site is as still, and eventually as brackish, as water in a weed-choked pond. There is no out there about it. It's as soon as useless as wanted posters in a post office used to be. It does not engage, it does not dialogue. It becomes, in fact, an act of forgetting, which may as well be headed, "In Memoriam."

I agree 100%. Also, imo, if it wasn't for the locals and caring people like Karen Anne who lets the public know searches are being conducted and volunteers are needed, how in the world do folks find out about the searches?

Check this out. Another caring person stumbled upon WS through FB referrals to ask for help.

Help needed - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

This case is just so bizarre in so many ways. What is with all the secrecy for pete's sake. There is a missing young lady and not one peep from MSM or even local media? What happened to Jackson Sun and The Tennessean? Did they give up?

BBM:
But...but... they do. Everyday that this is not gone:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/holly-bobo/view

is a press release. Kwim?
Yes, I know there are legions who check that site daily (not). Social media is alive, is a changing thing, something one thinks to check. The ever-sameness of a poster on a government site is as still, and eventually as brackish, as water in a weed-choked pond. There is no out there about it. It does not engage, it does not dialogue. It becomes, in effect, as time goes on, an act of forgetting, which may as well be titled, in a missing persons case like this one, "In Memoriam."

wfgodot: Did you delete your post or was it deleted? :waitasec:

ETA: Nevermind it's there now. Now it looks like I replied to a post before you posted. lol

wfgodot: Did you delete your post or was it deleted? :waitasec:

ETA: Nevermind it's there now. Now it looks like I replied to a post before you posted. lol
Twilight Zone.....oooooh scary! I deleted it because I wanted to change a word but got one of those Last edited at: things, which I deplore. So I just did it again, lol.

Thankfully Lifetime picked up AMW..

"Why is it so difficult to understand how valuable the American public is in fighting crime, locating violent fugitives, and in missing/murdered persons investigations"?

John Walsh, Host of "America's Most Wanted."

The fugitives of the U.S. may be heaving a sigh of relief at the news that the television show America's Most Wanted is no more. After 23 years of profiling the dregs of the criminal underworld — directly leading to 1,154 arrests by law-enforcement agencies — the show was canceled in May by Fox, and its final episode aired last month.

The close working relationships that host John Walsh cultivated with the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service over the years was an unprecedented collaboration between law enforcement and television. It was one of the very first reality shows that resulted in great TV and did a lot of good. Its cancellation leaves a hole both of those agencies will now need to fill.

"This is a big hit for us. The show is invaluable," says Geoff Shank, assistant director of investigative operations for the U.S. Marshals Service. "We have arrested so many heinous people and we've saved so many lives because of America's Most Wanted."

Kevin Perkins, assistant director of the FBI's criminal-investigations division, echoes the sentiment. "I personally hate to see it go," Perkins tells TIME. "We had 17 of our most wanted fugitives captured because of them and over 550 different cases solved as a result of tips."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2085343,00.html#ixzz22QxYvSw8

Twilight Zone.....oooooh scary! I deleted it because I wanted to change a word but got one of those Last edited at: things, which I deplore. So I just did it again, lol.

You get a bronze medal for that move.

Thankfully Lifetime picked up AMW..

"Why is it so difficult to understand how valuable the American public is in fighting crime, locating violent fugitives, and in missing/murdered persons investigations"?

John Walsh, Host of "America's Most Wanted."

The fugitives of the U.S. may be heaving a sigh of relief at the news that the television show America's Most Wanted is no more. After 23 years of profiling the dregs of the criminal underworld — directly leading to 1,154 arrests by law-enforcement agencies — the show was canceled in May by Fox, and its final episode aired last month.

The close working relationships that host John Walsh cultivated with the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service over the years was an unprecedented collaboration between law enforcement and television. It was one of the very first reality shows that resulted in great TV and did a lot of good. Its cancellation leaves a hole both of those agencies will now need to fill.

"This is a big hit for us. The show is invaluable," says Geoff Shank, assistant director of investigative operations for the U.S. Marshals Service. "We have arrested so many heinous people and we've saved so many lives because of America's Most Wanted."

Kevin Perkins, assistant director of the FBI's criminal-investigations division, echoes the sentiment. "I personally hate to see it go," Perkins tells TIME. "We had 17 of our most wanted fugitives captured because of them and over 550 different cases solved as a result of tips."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2085343,00.html#ixzz22QxYvSw8

Indeed. Marc Klaas also advocates media support to all missing persons family members. Every case that I've followed, he states it loud and clear that family members have to be in front of the cameras for the sake of their missing loved one. If they don't, nobody else will. They have to be the voice.

:moo:

You get a bronze medal for that move.

Not so sure he wants a bronze medal..LOL

“U.S. Olympic athletes are liable to pay income tax on medals ... and a bronze medal winner must pay $3502 on the medal and the $10000 honorarium.”

Indeed. Marc Klaas also advocates media support to all missing persons family members. Every case that I've followed, he states it loud and clear that family members have to be in front of the cameras for the sake of their missing loved one. If they don't, nobody else will. They have to be the voice.

:moo:

'Yep ~n/t~, and when Marc Klaas, speaks, most reasonable thinking people listen'..

http://www.examiner.com/article/hol...mes-to-small-tight-knit-community-safety-tips

This article is a result of requests from locals in Decatur County who fear their neighbors may not be aware of the dangers within their own and neighboring communities. They want to raise awareness so that what happened to Holly never happens again. Locals referenced in this article have asked to remain anonymous.

Asked how the local community of Decatur County is coping with the fact that Holly's abductor is still on the loose, one local resident said, "I would say it is fair to say it is changing the community.

"People began locking their doors due to meth addicts some years ago - but not out of fear of abduction. I know a woman whose home is located on a large property who says she's not letting her teenage boys out of her sight at this time."

The local source added, "People need to be aware that these types of predators DO live amongst them, I think there has been a false sense of security, this kind of awareness is great, some of the stuff people 'just don't talk about.'

"I think tension is high, people will be carrying weapons that might not otherwise carry them, and I think the law will overlook this," the source said. "Hopefully no innocent people get hurt before this is resolved and Holly's abductor is found."

'From a phone conservation with Isabelle Zehnder, Missing Persons Examiner after the Easter weekend search'-

http://www.examiner.com/article/hol...mes-to-small-tight-knit-community-safety-tips

*advertiser censored* and drugs - precursors to crime and deviancy

On Saturday morning an out-of-state volunteer searcher asked, "What would you expect to see as you pulled off the highway and drove into the town of Parsons?"

My initial response, "A church."

The volunteer said that's exactly what he would have expected, too. "I expected to see a little white church with a very high steeple on every corner," he said.

Instead, he said when he took the exit off I-40 at Hwy 69 the first building he observed was a *advertiser censored* toy and stip club shop - somewhat of a sex emporium in a building that reminded him of a big fireworks warehouse.

He said he saw about 200 cars in the parking lot - this was just before noon on a Saturday morning. A short drive from there was the University of Tennessee Martin Nursing satelite school that Holly Bobo attended.

"That was her destination on that tragic morning of April 13," he said.

Tennessee has seen a huge increase in the number of meth labs over the past several years. The state ranked the highest in the nation for having the largest number meth lab drug busts in 2010.

It is well-known that *advertiser censored* and drugs are often precursors to criminal and deviant activity.

The Examiner is a suspect source, most definitely not MSM, and information from that source should be handled with tongs.

The Examiner is a suspect source, most definitely not MSM, and information from that source should be handled with tongs.

wfgodot, I understand...CH & others give the Examiner a bad name, imo... Isabelle Zehnder.., comes from a long line of Law Enforcement & Justice System ancestry. She verifies info through LE I MS Media, and is a voice for the victims, imo...

The article is almost verbatim from our conversation the following day, after returning from the Easter weekend search for Holly Bobo..

200 People in Parsons parked in the lot to os a *advertiser censored* show/shop/toys? Good Grief! Isn't that overkill for a town that size? :thud:

WoW!

Do you have the update on the pastor of Dacatur (sp?) who killed the father of the bride?

200 People in Parsons parked in the lot to os a *advertiser censored* show/shop/toys? Good Grief! Isn't that overkill for a town that size? :thud:

WoW!

About 10% of the population. I suppose some could be out of towners but still......not the "innocent" little town one would expect as witnessed by IZ.

:thud:

What's interesting is that is what many of us think when discussing the Holly Bobo case. A quiet, religious, tight knit little town. I suggested searchers look at religious areas but ummm....maybe not. :what:

I agree 100%. Also, imo, if it wasn't for the locals and caring people like Karen Anne who lets the public know searches are being conducted and volunteers are needed, how in the world do folks find out about the searches?

Check this out. Another caring person stumbled upon WS through FB referrals to ask for help.

Help needed - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

This case is just so bizarre in so many ways. What is with all the secrecy for pete's sake. There is a missing young lady and not one peep from MSM or even local media? What happened to Jackson Sun and The Tennessean? Did they give up?

n/t, this is not directed at you, just using your post to jump off of.

There are many, many caring people who talk about finding Holly, about press releases (or a lack thereof), about LE and how they're not doing anything, about how much WSers care about this missing young woman, about how cases are kept alive via social media etc. Yet here on WS's- which is essentially a rather large social media site focused on crime- one that is monitored by LE just as facebook, tumblr, topix, twitter, etc are... there is zero participation in Holly's actual SAR thread.

That makes me really sad, and I don't understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401