Cooper Trial Has Been Postponed to early 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
cooper1.embedded.prod_affiliate.156.jpg

"Cooper, pale and gaunt"
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/09/10/674183/cooper-trial-moved-into-next-year.html

The Wake County Jail is a downtown high-rise with Zero opportunity for outside fresh air or exercize :behindbar :D

jan_27_2010_raleighskyline.com_24.jpg

From the link on the first post on this thread,....................

Just what the heck does Brad think is soooo funny? :mad:

This is a MURDER TRIAL!

Oh, well, at least he's not out at the country club.

JMHO
fran

Thanks SG for the update article !

This change of venue stuff is just odd (won't use the word I'm thinking). If the State has the evidence to prove the case, a differing location will make zero difference in the outcome. Waste of more time and taxpayers dollars.

Trenkle is a new name to me - is Kurtz no longer lead council or was this fellow assigned to assist if you know SG ?

Hey RC!

Remember that a 2nd defense attorney was approved to go through the 'voluminous discovery' 18+ months ago? That would be this new guy, Trenkle. The citizens of Wake County/NC are footing the bill for Kurtz & Trenkle.

Hey whatever it takes is fine, as long as a fair trial is held, the defendant gets a full, vigorous, and competent defense, and free of any legal errors that can be later appealed.

You're right: if the DA has the necessary evidence, it matters not where the trial is held.

I laugh at their allegations of 'massive pre-trial publicity,' which they contributed to by posting evidence right on their very own website. The media coverage in this case pales by comparison to other murder cases around the country. This forum has been mostly dead for well over a year, with almost no discussion. The national news media hasn't been interested in this case since it broke in 2008.

A lot of what I've read in other places (like WRAL comments and blogs) has been rife with barely literate people, let alone folks who have a working knowledge of anything resembling the law. The attorneys' fears should not be that people have heard of this case, but that they find people with an IQ high enough to understand basic language and logic. Based on some of the ramblings at WRAL and other places, I think they need to screen for IQs above 85, and they might have a challenge at that. Besides, the WRAL comments are typically full of pro-BC posts--don't know what they're worried about there.

:banghead:

According to Amanda Lamb on Facebook via Twitter, the judge has denied the change of venue.

Does anyone have more details?

That's very disappointing to see that there has been yet another delay in his trial :-( This must be so hard for her family.

He does look awful in this picture. He looks tired but not particularly gaunt. Again, not a lot of sympathy for him, he has created his own path.

Brad Cooper's murder trial will stay in Wake

Raleigh, N.C. — A Superior Court judge has denied a request to change the location for the murder trial of a Cary man accused of killing his wife more than two years ago.

Attorneys for Brad Cooper filed the motion in August, saying their client couldn't get a fair trial in Wake County because of local news reports, specifically those from WRAL News and The Raleigh News & Observer, that they claim were "inflammatory" and "prejudiced" against Cooper.

"The defendant has failed to show that the nature and extent of the pre-trial publicity of this case will prevent a fair trial," Superior Court Judge Paul Gessner wrote in his ruling filed Thursday afternoon.

Gessner said he found the reports to be factual and non-inflammatory, adding that the length of time between the publicity and the trial, scheduled for January, has been "considerable."

"The defendant did not show there is a 'prevailing community atmosphere' that would prevent the defendant from receiving a fair trial," he continued in his ruling.

more at http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8340565/

Brad Cooper's murder trial will stay in Wake

Raleigh, N.C. — A Superior Court judge has denied a request to change the location for the murder trial of a Cary man accused of killing his wife more than two years ago.

Attorneys for Brad Cooper filed the motion in August, saying their client couldn't get a fair trial in Wake County because of local news reports, specifically those from WRAL News and The Raleigh News & Observer, that they claim were "inflammatory" and "prejudiced" against Cooper.

"The defendant has failed to show that the nature and extent of the pre-trial publicity of this case will prevent a fair trial," Superior Court Judge Paul Gessner wrote in his ruling filed Thursday afternoon.

Gessner said he found the reports to be factual and non-inflammatory, adding that the length of time between the publicity and the trial, scheduled for January, has been "considerable."

"The defendant did not show there is a 'prevailing community atmosphere' that would prevent the defendant from receiving a fair trial," he continued in his ruling.

more at http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8340565/

Thanks Panthera - hoping WRAL will stream this trial. I am very curious about what evidence the DA does have. I suspect a few shockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46