IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hollye's map is also in the opening post of every thread as well as a link to the scanner thread

awesome case map Hollye!!!
:cheer:

Cook-Morrissey in 2003 was sentenced to four years in federal prison on drug charges that involved conspiracy to cook methamphetamine, court records show. After violating her supervised release, a federal version of parole, Cook-Morrissey was sentenced to five more months in federal custody. She was released in May.

ok...I'm confused...if she was sentenced in 2003 shouldn't she have got out in 2007? The article says she got out of prison in May.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/328855/3/Search-for-missing-Iowa-girls-causes-tensions-to-rise

I Believe that the authorities sincerely believe the girls are in the lake. They have been so quick to point out that they do not suspect foul play. I thought I had read, also, that they didn't think that other children in the area are in danger. While they are planning on sifting through Evansville garbage, they really DO seem to be putting most of their efforts into the lake.

From the beginning it seems LE has focused on the lake. I guess they have to start from somewhere and since the bikes were found there, it's a logical place to begin.

I have felt all along that these little girls are in the lake, that perhaps one of them got in too deep, and the other girl tried to come to her rescue. But I do wonder about what happened to their flip-flops - someone in a previous post mentioned that the flip-flops would probably have floated to the surface by now.

If they aren't in the lake then I am as bewildered as everyone else as to how these girls disappeared.

Just got out in May after the 5 months for violating her parole, is how I took it.
Oh, duh....I guess I forgot that I should read every word and not try speed reading. I swear I read that 10 times and didn't 'get' it. I should start drinking coffee again.

Thanks!

She could have been released in 2007. Violated her supervised release 4 or 5 years later, sent back for five months, and then released in May.

great map Hollye...FYI DM's address is not in the best neighborhood...probably another reason beside his criminal record LCM had limited contact with him.

:waitasec: You would think they would have relayed this info prior and also planned to be there. No one has a measuring stick? This case is getting more "hinky" by the minute. It's like they are dragging out the lake focus. What's really going on?

From the old thread... I posted as the doors were closing. I'm not good enough w/HTML to make this look right but I hope it's not too confusing.

Originally Posted by ~n/t~
<snipped for space>
Also, it said Lyric's mom was sentenced to 4 years in prison and 5 more months after she violated her probation.

It's early and I'm only on my first cup of java so forgive me if my math is screwy.

I'm getting caught up so please forgive me as well. In my limited (thank goodness!) experience, "sentenced to" is a whole lot different than "served." It bothers me and actually makes me sick at least for some crimes. Anyway I personally know someone who was sentenced to something like 4 years and ended up being there for a little over a year. He called it "prison time" and said every day was worth 3 days I think? (sorry I'm not a math person either!) For the record.. it was for possession and sale of painkillers so it wasn't a violent crime. I also don't know if it might be state-specific, but California anyway has been letting people out right and left for non-violent crimes.

No idea if it even matters in this case... just sharing my experience.

I am still baffled at the intensity, man power, time, etc.. that LE has put into this Lake. DOn't get me wrong I'm all for being thorough....but shouldn't at least half of this effort be put towards other avenues?

My impression is that they *haven't* put that much effort into the lake since they started draining it.

They've got some people in kayaks paddling around looking for evidence, some personnel keeping the area cordoned off and that's it. So, maybe a total of 10 people (they don't all have to be police personnel).

I seem to recall that DCI has 30 officers working the case right now. The FBI has personnel onsite and Black Hawk County Sheriff's Department is also working the case in addition to the Evansdale PD.

I think the lake looks like it is getting the most attention because it certainly is getting the most media attention. And the reason it is getting so much play in the media is because it's an easy site to cover. Reporters can't exactly follow officers around town as they interview residents, check alibis, etc.

But those things are happening, even though they aren't getting the heavy media coverage the lake is getting.

Slightly OT: a longtime Evansdale resident said that he used to swim in Meyer's Lake in the 1960s before it was enlarged as a borrow pond. He said that the reason people don't swim there is because it is full of leeches.

Well, that would for sure keep ME out of the water!

http://www.DesMoinesRegister.com/ar...tigators-bring-dogs-search-missing-Iowa-girls

:waitasec: You would think they would have relayed this info prior and also planned to be there. No one has a measuring stick? This case is getting more "hinky" by the minute. It's like they are dragging out the lake focus. What's really going on?

not sure what you mean... ?

The articles posted seem to indicate they stopped draining last night when it reached the level they needed it to be at and now the divers are on the way to complete the search with their specialized equipment.

One of the articles posted said that it took two weeks the last time they drained the lake so it seems they are moving along as quickly as possible:moo:

Just catching up from the previous thread and I wanted to touch on a couple of things that were mentioned.

There are attempted stranger abductions probably every day in the US, several just in Iowa lately alone. Odds are that eventually there are going to be some successful ones. So it&#8217;s not outside the realm of possibility that this was a complete stranger abduction.

Regarding the stopping of volunteer searches. It must be a huge task for LE to co-ordinate volunteer searches, especially when there are over a thousand people willing to sign up and help. LE spend most of their time checking people in, co-ordinating transportation, water and just generally taking care of, supervising and training volunteers. Not that the efforts over the weekend weren&#8217;t a huge success but I can&#8217;t see them being able to keep that up for days on end. And it appears that they covered the areas to the east and south of the lake where there were secluded roads that a local perp could have travelled to. And I believe they covered the areas to the north on their own in subsequent days.

If you look at the map, it is not that easy for a perp to exit and re enter the highway to abduct a child or children from that location. And considering that the highway was under construction and was likely bumper to bumper traffic, it would make no sense for a perp to try to do this. But a local perp might just take his victims to a secluded area known to them. And LE have been pretty good at co-ordinating searches of those areas it seems. That&#8217;s really all a volunteer search team can cover as was pointed out. They can&#8217;t go door to door or trespass on personal property.

And LE needed to free up people to start searching in populated areas. Going door to door and interviewing people. Follow up on tips etc. Which they appear to be doing now. So I do think they&#8217;ve done an awful lot besides focus on the lake.

Now if a perp or perps did get back on that highway, I&#8217;d think they would have done so outside the construction zone. Does anyone know how far that zone stretches? And if that is the case, then those poor girls could be anywhere right now. :(

MOO

From the old thread... I posted as the doors were closing. I'm not good enough w/HTML to make this look right but I hope it's not too confusing.

Originally Posted by ~n/t~
<snipped for space>
Also, it said Lyric's mom was sentenced to 4 years in prison and 5 more months after she violated her probation.

It's early and I'm only on my first cup of java so forgive me if my math is screwy.

I'm getting caught up so please forgive me as well. In my limited (thank goodness!) experience, "sentenced to" is a whole lot different than "served." It bothers me and actually makes me sick at least for some crimes. Anyway I personally know someone who was sentenced to something like 4 years and ended up being there for a little over a year. He called it "prison time" and said every day was worth 3 days I think? (sorry I'm not a math person either!) For the record.. it was for possession and sale of painkillers so it wasn't a violent crime. I also don't know if it might be state-specific, but California anyway has been letting people out right and left for non-violent crimes.

No idea if it even matters in this case... just sharing my experience.

true...ex in law of mine pled to the same charges as Misti and was sentenced to 15 yrs but received probation instead. dropped a few dirty UAs and was sent to prison for about a year or so...so that is pretty much how it works around here if it has any bearing on this case.

great map Hollye...FYI DM's address is not in the best neighborhood...probably another reason beside his criminal record LCM had limited contact with him.

What city does the Dan live in? TIA

They will be here "by Friday" suggests no later than Friday but leaves room for them to arrive and begin the search before Friday IMO

I am thinking when they arrive is about logistics and not that they are putting the search off til Friday

As I type this, it is 12:06 pm here in Iowa.

The temperature here (90 miles and southwest of Evansdale) is 85 F right now. That's over the limit for flying in dogs.

Last night, it didn't drop to 84 degrees here until it was almost dark out (8:30 pm or so).

Getting dogs in and out of Iowa by air in the summer is always a dicy business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288