GUILTY NC - Eve Carson, 22, UNC student, shot to death, Chapel Hill, 5 March 2008 - #2

Now questioning why atwater and mercedez and someone else who I can't recall was not called as witnesses.

Not sure if it is the only thing they took. Moo but defense was implying that Sl took it.

Darn it. My live stream is cutting out so I am missing info here:banghead:

Dang lets throw SL under the bus! I bet atwater took it and gave it to SL.

Defense done. Lunch and then instructions. I bet verdict tomorrow.

Lunch!!! Final instructions this afternoon. woohoo! court resumes at 3:00

CORRECTION....The (handsome) judge instructed the jury to return at 3:00.

Now questioning why atwater and mercedez and someone else who I can't recall was not called as witnesses.

This irritates me. Atwater CANT be called as a witness and defense knows that. But she makes an imcomplete assertion here to give the impression that the state is hiding something. That is wrong.

This irritates me. Atwater CANT be called as a witness and defense knows that. But she makes an imcomplete assertion here to give the impression that the state is hiding something. That is wrong.

These are the types of questions I would ask if I were a juror. "Is there any reason why"?

The defenses' job is to create reasonable doubt. It is up to a responsible jury to question those doubts that are planted. I am not sayin it is right, BTW.

Tick Tock.......

lovette and atty sitting very still....looking at the paper copy of jury instructions while the judge reads.

camera panned in close from behind on lovette and atty. I couldn't even tell if they were breathing or not they were so still.

thank goodness for live web cams!

judge dismisses alternate jurors

his instructions are finished...

These two were certainly not criminal geniuses, but I think they may have realized that the laptop was something that could easily link them to the crime. So they just left it behind.

What kind of handgun did Lovette use and how many shots total did he fire?

He had a .25 caliber pistol (not a revolver) which used a 7-bullet clip). It was small enuff for him to hold in his outstretched palm & have it not seen. The DA called it "cheap." Probably 4--5 inches long horizontally & 3--4 inches long vertically. Not a lot of stopping power, but very handy & easily concealable.

He fired 5 shots: one shot that ended up in Eve's computer; one thru her upper right arm; one in her right buttocks; one in her cheek (face) and one into her right shoulder, none of which were immediately fatal. When the LEO's recovered the clip, it had 2 live rounds in it.

I hope that he is scared to death in prison everyday of his life!!!!!

I think he'll be a bit scared when he first gets there. Just a bit. I think the folks he hung with in the hood all knew they would each wind up doing time -- either a little or a lot, so he'll be pretty cool about it.

He'll adapt and fit right in, I'm thinking. I think he will rack up some infractions and try to be a cool dude to get his props and won't ever be fit for the outside thus making LWOP a must for him. But I must say I think he'll have to pay some dues before he is accepted into a flock of "down" jailbirds. JMHO. :waitasec:

Lovette is one of the younger ones, so he will probably be sent to Polk or Foothills or some other prison where men from 18 to 25 are housed, and he will probably go to Polk initially where he will be tested to see his intelligence (that shouldn't take long, IMO
icon10.gif
) and some psych tests. I think the DOC does at least try to do something for inmates as much as money, personnel, inmate attitude and time allows.

(Please know that I have learned this by following other cases on WS and then checked on the perps after they were in NC prisons. Then lots of online research into the various DOC prisons themselves. Probably many of you have done the same...) I think it would be really interesting to talk with a DOC person who works at such a facility to see how good or bad these places and inmates really are. As far as I know, every NC county has a DOC facility, with Raleigh having the Big Boy with the death bed...

Does anybody recall the testimony of the witness who said lovette stated he shot her from top to bottom or something like that?

I'm gonna have to review Eve's autopsy report (as much as i rather not) because I thought she was shot from behind in the arm, torso and buttocks as well as the left side of her face. All the shots from the .25 were on the same side of her body as well as the shotgun blast to her temple.

IIRC, 3 shots were from behind -- the buttocks, the upper arm, and the shoulder; the shot to her face was from the front, and I think the last shot. The shot to her shoulder was said to be from a higher-to-lower angle -- probably when she was already down on the asphalt. (The asphalt -- that poor, poor young woman, ohhh what animals they were. :furious: ) How painful for her -- I can't imagine. No wonder she probably couldn't lie still and quiet to fake being dead. I certainly think, even in her pain & panic, she thought about it -- she just couldn't do it. Plus the punks had to be sure.

Ain't no thang, just blow a hole in her head and GTH outta there so they can get more of her $9,000.00. Rio had to put his imprint on it, too. :furious:

another mini-rant, please pardon.....:rant:

Defense is doing the best they can with what they have to work with to create doubt. I cannot consider it 'reasonable' doubt, IMO.

WRAL reported that the jury had a question fairly quickly after the start of their deliberations -- about larceny.... Hmmm. The WRAL reported wondered if they had already resolved guilty/not guilty on the other charges. (We'll never know.) I just hope, hope, hope there is not that one lone juror who has had doubt from the beginning....

How good a job do we think the DT did? Good enuff to give that one juror a peg to hang his/her hat on??? Or did they start to tune them out like I did (I'm embarrassed to sayit, but I did ...
icon11.gif
).

The female defense atty is pulling a 'Baez' and using a chart on an easel.

She seems a smart lady tho.

Yes, I agree, she's smart and she really tried to do her best for him. Classy lady, I thought all thru it.

I just hope she was not quite good enuff. She had a tuff job to do. And I wonder how she feels about it now. :waitasec:

asking about what DNA was not sent in......questioning Shanita Love's character.

I think Woodall was right-on -- they couldn't find a model citizen (not his word for it -- I forget the term he used) to testify as to what Rio or LA said to them, or where they threw out the murder weapons.

This is an ugly thing to say, but true, nevertheless -- all of their friends, even Shanita Love, who had nothing to do with it and the DT should quit piling-on this woman, are at least a bit tainted and have brushed-up against The Man. They weren't members of a Boy Scout troop, nor were they in the Nat'l. Honor Society...
icon8.gif

Did atwater take her ipod? Is that the only thing they took?

Maybe she had it with her when they kidnapped her or maybe it was in her car -- I don't remember at all (burned-out that brain cell in the 60's, I guess) any testimony about anyone taking it. Eve's roommate said he was missing his, but then he said he might have just misplaced it -- but they apparently didn't have his...

Big fat lotta help this was to you, huh luckyme???:crazy:

Well, all during this testimony, I kept asking her, "Well, why didn't you call ____?" him, or her, or whoever she was saying at the time. She didn't answer me....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back