Deceased/Not Found AK - Bradford Broach, 46, Girdwood, 2 Aug 2016

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Troopers continue search for Texan missing on hike at Alyeska Resort

Alaska State Troopers have requested assistance in their search for a Texas man last seen Tuesday night, when he was heading out for a hike near Alyeska Resort in Girdwood.

Troopers got a call from the wife of the missing man, Bradford Broach, 46, of Allen, Texas, on Wednesday, according to a dispatch posted online.
http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2016...-went-missing-2-days-ago-from-alyeska-resort/

The article said he went out for a hike at around 7:30 or 8 pm. Would that be late for a hike? I need to check on the resort to get a better idea of how remote it is.
I have a lot of questions. He was traveling alone? Was he traveling for business? Was he familiar with the area?

The article said he went out for a hike at around 7:30 or 8 pm. Would that be late for a hike? I need to check on the resort to get a better idea of how remote it is.
I have a lot of questions. He was traveling alone? Was he traveling for business? Was he familiar with the area?

Sunset is about 10:30 in that part of Alaska this time of year.

But, that is the time for animal feeding as well. I hope this guy is safe.

I'm about to sit down to dinner but wanted to say my husband and I have skied at Alyeska and driven around that area and Anchorage, and north to Denali. While Alyeska is a resort town, it is small and remote. Simply gorgeous! Mountains go on forever. An evening hike this time of year would be lovely, plenty of time before it gets dark if you leave around 7:30 pm. But you definitely need to be aware of the wildlife, including grizzlies.

Also, Fairbanks is 400 miles away from Alyeska.

I will check in later with more details about the area.

So much wilderness to search.....but it sounds like there are a lot of people looking for him. Hope he's found soon.

I have a feeling that the family was able to find out what happened to Brad, even without finding Brad's body. The family was sharing the Missing Brad info for just a few days before they all just stopped. This leads me to believe that they know what happened, and due to this silence, I'm guessing it is thought to be a suicide.

Bumping with updated news from yesterday. He is still missing, but they are scaling back the search. I notice a relative has posted a few times in the comments. I feel so sad for this family. They must feel so helpless.

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2016/08/17/limited-search-still-on-for-texas-man-missing-near-girdwood-since-aug-9/

An initial version of this story misstated by a week the dates on which Broach was scheduled to leave Fairbanks and signed the Winner Creek Trail log in Girdwood; they were July 28 and Aug. 2, not Aug. 4 and Aug. 9.

• broach_bradford.jpg
    broach_bradford2.jpg
    broach_bradford3.jpg
    broach_bradford5.jpg
  • broach_bradford_clothes.jpg
Broach, circa 2016; Broach on the day of his disappearance

• Missing Since 08/02/2016
  • Missing From Girdwood, Alaska
  • Classification Lost/Injured Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 01/18/1970 (53)
  • Age 46 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'9, 175 pounds

• Clothing/Jewelry Description A light blue button-down shirt, khaki shorts, sport sandals and a dark blue baseball cap with the words "Broach Heaters". Carrying a black or blue laptop bag. A photo of Broach in those clothes is posted with this case summary.

• Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes.

Details of Disappearance​

Broach was visiting Alaska from Texas at the time of his disappearance. He last seen at the Alyeska Resort Hotel in Girdwood, Alaska on August 2, 2016. He headed out for a hike on the Winner Creek Trail, near the base of the tram, between 7:30 and 9:00 p.m., and never returned.

Broach was reported missing by his wife in Texas at 6:36 p.m. on August 4; he failed to catch his flight home that day. His belongings and car were later found at the Alyeska Resort Hotel parking lot. Since his disappearance his cellular phone has been turned off.

The Winner Creek Trail is well-maintained and frequently traveled by tourists; it's easy to follow and many parts are on boardwalk. A search of the trail turned up no indication of Broach's whereabouts; police found litter and footprints, but couldn't prove they were his. The search expanded, but no one found any sign of Broach. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Alaska State Troopers 907-269-5511

Source Information​

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 27, 2019; casefile added.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back