NYC - 'Numerous' fatalities in train collision, fire

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
'Numerous' Fatalities in Metro-North Train Collision, Fire (ABC, with video)

"Numerous" fatalities were reported after a crowded Metro-North commuter train hit a vehicle on the tracks north of White Plains, New York, Tuesday night, sparking a fire that gutted the lead car of the train, according to the MTA.

Among the dead were an unknown number of passengers on the train and the driver of the black Jeep Cherokee that was struck. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority said the gates came down on top of the SUV at the crossing, which was stopped on the tracks. The driver got out to look at the rear of the car, then she got back in and drove forward and was struck.

The MTA had earlier said that six people were dead in the crash, but changed that to "numerous" deaths pending more information.
---
more at the link

I just saw this on the 10 o'clock news. How horrific! My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the victims this evening. Hearing the account of what happened from the man who was in the car behind the woman (who got stuck between the gates) was heart wrenching.

Senator Schumer (NY) stated there are seven dead and 60+ injured.

Senator Schumer (NY) stated there are seven dead and 60+ injured.

In a statement, Senator Charles E. Schumer of New York said, “Our hearts go out to those lost, we pray for those injured and our hats are tipped to the brave first responders who came to the scene of this tragic crash so quickly.”

Mr. Schumer, who has been critical of safety measures at the railroad, added, “At this early stage, it is premature to point any fingers of blame, but there are many important questions that must be answered in the coming days.” (New York Times)

The reports are saying the driver got out, checked her car, got back in, pulled forward (onto the track) then was hit by the train. BUT, reports are also saying that she was OUTSIDE her car when the train struck. Was she trying to physically get out of the way? So completely awful. Still sending prayers to all affected by this tragedy.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/loc...ar-collide-valhalla-mass-casualties/22822737/

The Jeep was stopped on the tracks when the railroad crossing gates came down on top of it. The driver got out to look at the back of the car, then got back in and drove forward when the train struck the Jeep, pushing it about 10 train-car lengths up the track. The Jeep driver and six passengers on the train were killed in the crash. Six hundred and fifty people were on board train No. 659, which departed Grand Central at 5:45 p.m. The train engineer was treated for his injuries at a hospital, but was not considered one of the casualties.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-Valhalla-New-York-Harlem-Line-290716911.html

The driver exited the vehicle to look at the rear, drove forward and was struck, a Metro Transit Authority official said. She was outside the vehicle when the train hit, shoving her SUV about 10 car lengths, the official said.

From the PIX11 article linked above.

Severed limbs, leaping flames and hands set on fire: Horrific scenes from Metro-North crash which left seven dead and a dozen seriously injured when train crashes into a Jeep and burst into flames outside New York City

Metro-North train crashed into Jeep Cherokee while traveling through Valhalla in New York on Tuesday night

At least seven people were killed and further 12 left seriously wounded in terrifying smash, officials said

One survivor from the first carriage said on Wednesday that one man had lost his leg below the knee, one commuter had a compound fracture while another had badly burned hands

Vehicle had stopped on the tracks for unknown reasons; the female driver tried to move forward but got stuck

Impact of commuter train pushed Jeep around 150 yards up tracks, before both vehicles exploded into flames

Crash comes just over a year after a Metro-North train derailed in the Bronx, killing four people and injuring 61

Harlem Line service is back up and running between Grand Central Terminal and North White Plains

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ulting-multiple-fatalities.html#ixzz3QmcOl3F0

From the PIX11 article linked above.

I think that article is wrong. She was inside the car when it got hit, from what eyewitness said.
The eyewitness who was behind her says the gate came on top of her car. She had time to come out and look at the car. Then she got into the car and drove forward right into the train path. Doesn't sound like she was stuck on the tracks, sounds like she was trying to beat the train but didn't make it.

"There was nobody behind me so I backed up real fast," Hope said. "She gets out of the car, walks over to the gate, grabs the gate, looks at me. I go back and I'm waving at her to come back. She grabs the gate and wiggles it around. And the whole time I'm thinking 'Time's running out here.' She goes around and gets into the car and steps on the gas and goes forward 15 feet, right in front of the train."
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/transit/2015/02/04/metro-north-crash-minute-by-minute/22873685/

Pictured: Mother-of-three whose SUV got stuck and caused horror NY rail crash, killing her and five train passengers including curator at The Met and banker

Banker Eric Vandercar, 53, a married father-of-two, was named as the first of the train passengers who died

Driver of the SUV which stalled on the tracks identified as Ellen Brody, 49, who is married and has three children

Metro-North train crashed into Jeep Cherokee while traveling through Valhalla, New York on Tuesday night

Six people were killed - five in the train and the SUV driver - and further 12 left seriously wounded

Doctors at Westchester Medical said on Wednesday that one patient remained critical, one was in a serious condition, six others were fair/good and four of the injured had been discharged

One survivor from the first carriage said on Wednesday that one man lost his leg below the knee, one commuter had a compound fracture and another had badly burned hands

The impact was so forceful the electrified third rail pushed up from the track and was rammed through the first carriage of the train

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-bodies-burned-recognition.html#ixzz3Qp8QBkZG

When I was 16 or 17, I stopped for a red light, on railroad tracks. And then the gates started to come down. It was gridlock-ish traffic, so at first I thought there was no place to go, but I laid on the horn and started backing up while waving frantically out my window. Enough folks behind me managed to back up enough to let me get off the tracks (the arm of the gate ended up even with the very front of my car, and my rear bumper was resting on the car behind me). Seeing those lights start to flash and the gates start to come down and feeling stuck was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. The thought of getting out and running never even occurred to me.

I always stop well back from tracks now (and I cringe when I see folks who don't). And if I'm at a railroad crossing, when the arms start going up, I wait until they're all the way up, in case there's a second train coming.

I wonder if the driver of the SUV was on one set of multiple tracks, and thought she could bust through the gate in front of her? Or if she could have busted through the one behind her? It sounds like if she had just left her car where it was the train was on another set of tracks, and all would have been OK :( .

Pictured: Mother-of-three whose SUV got stuck and caused horror NY rail crash, killing her and five train passengers including curator at The Met and banker

Banker Eric Vandercar, 53, a married father-of-two, was named as the first of the train passengers who died

Driver of the SUV which stalled on the tracks identified as Ellen Brody, 49, who is married and has three children

Metro-North train crashed into Jeep Cherokee while traveling through Valhalla, New York on Tuesday night

Six people were killed - five in the train and the SUV driver - and further 12 left seriously wounded

Doctors at Westchester Medical said on Wednesday that one patient remained critical, one was in a serious condition, six others were fair/good and four of the injured had been discharged

One survivor from the first carriage said on Wednesday that one man lost his leg below the knee, one commuter had a compound fracture and another had badly burned hands

The impact was so forceful the electrified third rail pushed up from the track and was rammed through the first carriage of the train

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-bodies-burned-recognition.html#ixzz3Qp8QBkZG

I have this feeling she may have panicked and thought she was in reverse to back away from the tracks and hit the gas that drove the suv forward.This happens with elderly people that drive into the front of businesses by hitting the gas and not in reverse.

I quoted the wrong post.

I think that article is wrong. She was inside the car when it got hit, from what eyewitness said.
The eyewitness who was behind her says the gate came on top of her car. She had time to come out and look at the car. Then she got into the car and drove forward right into the train path. Doesn't sound like she was stuck on the tracks, sounds like she was trying to beat the train but didn't make it.

"There was nobody behind me so I backed up real fast," Hope said. "She gets out of the car, walks over to the gate, grabs the gate, looks at me. I go back and I'm waving at her to come back. She grabs the gate and wiggles it around. And the whole time I'm thinking 'Time's running out here.' She goes around and gets into the car and steps on the gas and goes forward 15 feet, right in front of the train."
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/transit/2015/02/04/metro-north-crash-minute-by-minute/22873685/

This was the post I was responding too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back