The relic that began to spin: the mystery of a 4000-year-old Egyptian statuette

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
For those who like a bit of a mystery, a story from the past couple of weeks, first brought to public attention in the Manchester UK Evening News:

1. Ancient Egyptian Statue Has Begun Moving on Its Own, Freaking Out Museum Staff and Sparking Investigation. (whofortedblog.com)

2. Manchester, Magnets, and Mass Transit: Solving the Mystery of the Spinning Egyptian Statue. (same as above)

3. Manchester Museum is set to break the spell of the spinning statue. (Manchester Evening News)

and also see

Manchester's 'haunted' Egyptian statue: How I survived my scary night at the museum. (same as above)

Thanks, Wfgodot!

I loves me some mystery stories! :great:

:ghost: :dracula: :mummy:

images

I saw the "Egypt's Dazzling Sun: Amenhotep III & His World" exhibition at the Kimbell in Ft. Worth in 1992. Great stuff.

I saw the "Egypt's Dazzling Sun: Amenhotep III & His World" exhibition at the Kimbell in Ft. Worth in 1992. Great stuff.

A friend of mine and I took our kidlets, ages 5 to 8, to some museums in Balboa Park, San Diego...

somehow we took a wrong turn... And suddenly our little angels were watching a film about spermatazoas "dancing" with ovums....

Oops! :what:

and...we were right next to a delightfully creepy mummy presentation... :mummy:

I was afraid I had ruined these lil' darlins for life...

but they all turned out to be terrific people! :rocker:

:giggle:

I'm totally jealous.

Though I'd be moreso if it'd been Imhotep, or Amenhotep IV (Akhenaten), I'm such a shameless fangirl of those guys.

Speaking of being a fan, I've always thought Akhenaten looked a bit like Joey Ramone:

images

joeyramonepic.jpg

He had the same girl-hips, too. :B

I'm totally jealous.

Though I'd be moreso if it'd been Imhotep, or Amenhotep IV (Akhenaten), I'm such a shameless fangirl of those guys.

Speaking of being a fan, I've always thought Akhenaten looked a bit like Joey Ramone:

images

joeyramonepic.jpg

He had the same girl-hips, too. :B
Amenhotep III was - of course - Akhenaten's father, and Tut's grandfather. The traveling exhibitions for each are the major Egyptian relics-based shows to have toured the West, and the Amenhotep III show's said to have been the best. (Lucky me!)

140 objects, including a small bust of Queen Tiy, which has been called the most beautiful art object in the world.

ETA: he does look like Joey Ramone!

Amenhotep III was - of course - Akhenaten's father, and Tut's grandfather.

Don't even get me started on the conspiracy theories, actual conspiracies and general mayhem and oddity surrounding that particular family... it's just an awesome story, though.

As to the statue - looking at the video, it appears to me that the 'mystery' might involve a wonky floorboard.

It's all about perspective. Neb-Senu is not spinning, it stays in place and the world spins around it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back