Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

While researching the Wanek's, I decided to check out the man named Frank Zitka who was living with Evelyn's family in 1930. I found Frank Zitka in ancestry and he was married to an Anna Wanek. Frank is listed in several family trees and I thought I would have a look to see if there were any Brodie's in any of the trees. I didn't find any Brodie's but in one of the trees there is the surname Brodt.

I went looking for the name Brodt and found something very interesting in Footnote. There is an FBI case file on a George Brodt who happened to be rooming in the Tuxedo or Tunedo Hotel in Salt Lake City. When the detectives got to the hotel the clerk told them the Brodt had taken off the week before and hadn't returned.

This case file is dated 1918 and even more interesting, George Brodt was suspected of "German activities".

This may not be GB but everything fits. Living in a hotel, GB's interest in Hitler and this happening in the early 1900's. The case file does not have a DOB for this man.

Being chased by the FBI would certainly be a good reason to change your name a "fly under the radar".

Is anyone able to check for SSN's under the name George Brodt?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check this guy out further?

Does the case file list an age of the man?

I think the George Brodt you found might be a little too old to be our GB as we think our GB was born about 1905, that would make him a young teen in 1918. It is still worth pursuing because we don't really know GB's birth year.

Here is the link to the SSDI which lists SS#'s for those listed.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

only two George Brodts listed.

ETA: I hope raf catches this post... she's been able to find some great info... but I think she posted she looked/searched under names starting with 'bro'. I wonder if she has ran across this GB and his FBI file.

Hey Bern,

Good points. I believe the group checked George Brody's name against SSN and his possible age as critieria and didn't come with a match. There has been tons of searches on GB, but perhaps we need another check.

As far as a religous group, this is a thought which has struck many a WebSleuth, heehee...he certainly came across as a cult type of guy or something in a seck for sure. He was most def. hiding something, that is the mystery of this man. :) thanks so much for you ideas, they are indeed valid.

SK

Thanks SK,

As I sleuth this other person in my post, I find things that could be reasons for Brody to hide also. The tax thing is big. If you get a Federal Tax Lien against you, anytime you use your SNN your pay is attached to pay back the debt. You can't have a driver License or they can take the car if you own it. You can't have a home, or it too is up for grabs if you own it. So this person I am researching has stopped using his SSN, drives a car not registered to him, uses different plates, no legal tags, no address of his own, lives with other people, and of late I have discovered a changed middle initial in his name so other things don't come up when I do a name search, but I took out the initial and stuff came up. George could have done these things to hide who he is.

I bet he has a SNN but stopped using it, by getting others to support him, or put their name on accounts, or he could have had an account over seas. That is what my person is doing. There is no name attached to the money trail only a number on the account.

I lived in PA for most of my life, Pittsburgh. That photo of him, looks familiar but I can't place it. I am working on getting software to "tag" photos on the internet. It will pull up any photos that are the same of similar in facial features.

Also there is a advertising you can buy called "friend blaster" it spams everyone on face book. I think it is around $15 to do. Maybe someone could check into it and her story and age progression photo could be sent to everyone on face book.....

I don't know if this has been looked at, but the photo of GB, did the FBI or anyone look to see where that portrait was taken? Maybe a water mark on the back? It reminds me of the old Russel Studio photos for book jackets.

Does the case file list an age of the man?

I think the George Brodt you found might be a little too old to be our GB as we think our GB was born about 1905, that would make him a young teen in 1918. It is still worth pursuing because we don't really know GB's birth year.

Here is the link to the SSDI which lists SS#'s for those listed.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

only two George Brodts listed.

ETA: I hope raf catches this post... she's been able to find some great info... but I think she posted she looked/searched under names starting with 'bro'. I wonder if she has ran across this GB and his FBI file.
Hi Cubby,
I searched also by Brodt surname and no helpful results...
Ditto for Brodish surname, my last search before of Holyday season...
all the best,
raf

Hi Cubby,
I searched also by Brodt surname and no helpful results...
Ditto for Brodish surname, my last search before of Holyday season...
all the best,
raf

Hi raf,

Did you come across this George Brodt in your search and if so, were you able to find any more details on him. Were you able to rule him out?

Hi raf,

Did you come across this George Brodt in your search and if so, were you able to find any more details on him. Were you able to rule him out?
Hi, starting from the fact that our GB was born around 1906 or so, well the George Brodt matching for birthyear is:
- one of Ohio ( George Brodt or George E Brodt; listed with and without "E")lived and died in same town: Birth: 5 Apr 1904
Death: Jan 1972 - Hamilton, Butler, Ohio, United States of America

-another (George W Brodt/Bradt) born in Oklahoma around 1904, was until 1930 in Patterson, Woods, Oklahoma; no more details
the other matching no for birthyear..
all the best,
raf

Hi, starting from the fact that our GB was born around 1906 or so, well the George Brodt matching for birthyear is:
- one of Ohio ( George Brodt or George E Brodt; listed with and without "E")lived and died in same town: Birth: 5 Apr 1904

-another (George W Brodt/Bradt) born in Oklahoma around 1904, was until 1930 in Patterson, Woods, Oklahoma; no more details
all the best,
raf

Call it a gut feeling, but i just can't let this go until he can be ruled out, and my reasons are:

1) We really don't know GB's true year of birth.

2) GB died in 1983 and IF he was born in 1905/06 he would have been 78/77,
he looked quite a bit older than that to me. (my Father in law is 80 and
doesn't look as old as GB did).

3) If GB was born even as late/early as 1900 (and his birth year could even
have been a couple of years earlier), he would still only be 83/85 when
he died (which would fit better with the pic of him) and he would have
been 18/20 when the FBI case file is dated. He would also be at draft age
(what better way of getting out of the draft than aligning yourself with
Hitler).

4) This George Brodt lived in a Hotel (same as GB did)

5) This George Brodt was being investigated for "German activities". (GB had
an BIG interest in Hitler).

6) This George Brodt disappeared from from Salt Lake City in 1918 and I can't
find any other records of him in SLC and all the other George Brodt's I can
find have birth and death records. No other records for a George Brodt in
SLC. He just seems to have disappeared.

No stone unturned. Until I can rule this guy out, I will keep looking at him.

If someone can definitely rule this George Brodt out, then please let me know.

If anyone wants to help look into him, please let me know also.

I don't know if this has been looked at, but the photo of GB, did the FBI or anyone look to see where that portrait was taken? Maybe a water mark on the back? It reminds me of the old Russel Studio photos for book jackets.
We did actually find the photography studio and it was in San Francisco. I forget where this information is posted, but a picture made by the same studio came up on eBay, and that was how we made the connection.

We did actually find the photography studio and it was in San Francisco. I forget where this information is posted, but a picture made by the same studio came up on eBay, and that was how we made the connection.

Sorry if you have already discussed it. I wondered why he would do the photo? Was it for a book jacket, or maybe a lecture or something such as that? May be a clue as to what he was into and who he knew. Seems a bit narcissistic to do a portrait like this for a photo album no one would see. Just curious, I guess.

Sorry if you have already discussed it. I wondered why he would do the photo? Was it for a book jacket, or maybe a lecture or something such as that? May be a clue as to what he was into and who he knew. Seems a bit narcissistic to do a portrait like this for a photo album no one would see. Just curious, I guess.
Narcissistic is probably the keyword. Or perhaps Margaret asked him to have it made. I'm quite sure he never wrote a book or gave a lecture to more than one potential follower at a time.

Call it a gut feeling, but i just can't let this go until he can be ruled out, and my reasons are:

1) We really don't know GB's true year of birth.

2) GB died in 1983 and IF he was born in 1905/06 he would have been 78/77,
he looked quite a bit older than that to me. (my Father in law is 80 and
doesn't look as old as GB did).

3) If GB was born even as late/early as 1900 (and his birth year could even
have been a couple of years earlier), he would still only be 83/85 when
he died (which would fit better with the pic of him) and he would have
been 18/20 when the FBI case file is dated. He would also be at draft age
(what better way of getting out of the draft than aligning yourself with
Hitler).

4) This George Brodt lived in a Hotel (same as GB did)

5) This George Brodt was being investigated for "German activities". (GB had
an BIG interest in Hitler).

6) This George Brodt disappeared from from Salt Lake City in 1918 and I can't
find any other records of him in SLC and all the other George Brodt's I can
find have birth and death records. No other records for a George Brodt in
SLC. He just seems to have disappeared.

No stone unturned. Until I can rule this guy out, I will keep looking at him.

If someone can definitely rule this George Brodt out, then please let me know.

If anyone wants to help look into him, please let me know also.

Hi Raf,

Can you please tell me if you have or have not definitely ruled this man out. I' am not getting a great deal of feed back here.

Please let me know.

all the best,
raf

my bold. Ozziemum, I think raf meant the birth year of your brodt is too early for our GB. Way back, and I can't recall where it is posted, raf found an article which we are pretty sure is our GB, but she couldn't trace it to a later or earlier date. It's just an earlier date than we had traced backwards.

raf, do you happen to recall where that article is posted? can we link it to bring that post current? Or can someone find it? IIRC, brody either punched someone or got punched... is my memory correct on that article?

thanks!

my bold. Ozziemum, I think raf meant the birth year of your brodt is too early for our GB. Way back, and I can't recall where it is posted, raf found an article which we are pretty sure is our GB, but she couldn't trace it to a later or earlier date. It's just an earlier date than we had traced backwards.

raf, do you happen to recall where that article is posted? can we link it to bring that post current? Or can someone find it? IIRC, brody either punched someone or got punched... is my memory correct on that article?

thanks!

Hi Cubby,

I remember the article, I think it is in part 1 of the GB thread. If my memory serves correctly, there was also another article about a car accident, but I don't think it could be established if that was our GB.

Also from memory, that GB doesn't show up in any census records until 1930 and I think that is were the estimated birth year came from (I could be wrong on that).

I guess my point is, that if GB changed his name (which I have no doubt he did) then why would he not change his year of birth (which I also wouldn't be surprised about. He appears to have been a pretty vain man).

I will re-read the GB threads and re-check the George Brodt's and see what I can find.

Hi Cubby,

I remember the article, I think it is in part 1 of the GB thread. If my memory serves correctly, there was also another article about a car accident, but I don't think it could be established if that was our GB.

Also from memory, that GB doesn't show up in any census records until 1930 and I think that is were the estimated birth year came from (I could be wrong on that).

I guess my point is, that if GB changed his name (which I have no doubt he did) then why would he not change his year of birth (which I also wouldn't be surprised about. He appears to have been a pretty vain man).

I will re-read the GB threads and re-check the George Brodt's and see what I can find.
Hi,
I understand what you say...
-in the article abt George Brody car accident, well this a George Brody, married at a Margaret, coming from Ohio, and they lived a normal life, it is not our GB... this GB lived also in San Francisco, and some address found in SF directory are referred to this man; but is not our GB.. only same name, and a wife Margaret... for that a little confusion...
- the GB found in the Oakland Tribune article of 1941, most probably is OUR GB... the age matching second the opinion of Annasmom and of other persons that knew the real GB.. this GB ( probable our GB) was 36 in 1941, for that the birthyear could be 1905/6...
here the article:
http://s6.imagestime.com/out.php/i447818_forPete.jpg
i447818_forPete.jpg

all the best,
raf

Hi Raf,

Can you please tell me if you have or have not definitely ruled this man out. I' am not getting a great deal of feed back here.

Please let me know.
My dear,
I cannot find nothing abt this George Brodt deseappeared from a Salt Lake City Hotel in 1918... you wrote:
The case file does not have a DOB for this man.

I have found nobody abt a George Brodt in Salt Lake City prior of 1918... and it are so many persons with this name, but without knowing the birthyear and birthplace is a bit hard... if the FBI case file have no the DOB of this man, it is very hard .... but because( just a suggestion) this George Brodt having some problem with FBI, meaning that was a adult man, maybe around 30/40 old...
what I found in Salt Lake City

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Geo Harry Broady
Name: Geo Harry Broady
County: Salt Lake
State: Utah
Birthplace: Utah
Birth Date: 24 Dec 1891
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1983887
DraftBoard: 1

Tall size, hazel eyes, brown hairs... and for that matching not, because we are searching for a little guy withe blue eyes
http://s6.imagestime.com/out.php/i447819_geoHarryBroady.jpg
I cannot find nobody George Brodt record helpful and matching with your finding of FBI case...
If you have more details, please let us know.
All the best,
raf

It seems to me that I've been gone a lifetime. Sorry to have been away for so long. Some of you may have been aware I've been taking care of my husband's aunt who has lived with us for almost 2 yrs. She has passed away last week and I'm almost finished wrapping up her affairs.

In some spare time I've had this week, I've been looking back at Russell and have found a name of a man who lived with him in the early 1940's. The name is Clifford G. Loew. Nothing found in directories after 1946. He was listed on ship manifest in 1937 departing Los Angeles. However a death certificate from NY is reported in July 1964. Could he went missing and years later the family reported him dead?

I found a very lengthily family history on line, with a George Brodt b. 1816. He is one of numerous child in the line. It is in the Descendant of Bernhart Mueller. The family comes from Germany and this history is quite long. I don't see any other George Brodt in the line. The family eventually is living in PA. I don't know all the names you would be looking for in this family tree, but if you are interested in reading this, I will copy and past it. Not sure of the link. It is quite long and brings the history up to 2003. I found it by google 1970 books + George Brodt.

It's worth looking into, but I'm not sure what exactly we'd ask. Can you share what idea's you have Annasmom?

here is the direct link to the hat shop.
http://www.goorin.com/

I thought I'd send them a photo of Brody in a hat, say he had left unclaimed money in Oakland and no relatives we could find, and see if anybody recognized the picture. The present owner is fourth generation, so his father might well have sold hats to GB. However, I haven't yet looked to see if they have an e-mail address.

I need some help with this. Does anybody have time right now? I was thinking of sending that picture of Brody wearing a hat, but I would have to scout it up in the BFH and right now I'm pretty overwhelmed with rehearsals for Christmas.

~ All done Annasmom, I shot them off an email and attached the hat photo with GB, explained a wee bit as well, so the are aware of the 'why' we are asking. They may not have records that go back that far, but hoping an elder can take a look at the photo.

Best! SK

This was a great idea! Any word back from your e-mail?

Sherlock,

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your dh's Aunt. We will keep your family in our prayers.

I've wondered where you've been. Welcome back.

:blowkiss:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa