IL IL - Lacey Gaines, 22, Justice, 7 Dec 2009

ChaCha--just a few weeks ago, I was clearing out old newspapers from the office (I work part-time for a library service), and I came across your daughter's story in the Chicago Tribune. I go through *lots* of newspapers at work, but that story caught my eye, and ended up reading it sitting on the floor of the office, surrounded by stacks of papers headed for recycling. It was heartbreaking. I sincerely hope that she, and her children, are doing well. I am extremely saddened to hear of your niece. Know that I am thinking of you and your family.

RLynne, thank you for your kind words. If you visit my blog here on websleuths you can see the updates on her case. We successfully put im back behind bars and my daughter and grandchildren have 1 yr of peace for now. We are thankful for that.

If you read the blog posts you'll understand why Lacey thought I could help her like I had Regan. It's very sad.

Did either the current or ex have any gang affilitations and I really hate to ask but were either one involved in drugs Certain hispanic gangs are known to come after gfs, wives, and children... Moo. So sorry for your loss.

I had heard her 1st boyfriend bragged he knew of the Mexican mafia to one of Lacey's friends. But no one took him seriously. If you go to her myspace you'll see Lacey with her ex, he has large ear plugs.

I am the old aunt so I don't have any knowledge of substance abuse. I do know her ex- brother got a dui I beleive in Will County.

Lacey was a hard worker sometimes working as many as 3 jobs. I didn't think her lifestyle supported substance abuse. She was a good mother.

Being family you might not want to read this one ChaCha. Because I am going to be discussing a theory about details of the crime.

How it could happen with no defensive wounds:

Here is my thinking, whoever did this she had to have turned her back on in order for there to be strangulation and no defensive wounds. Whoever did it had to have had time to grab the weapons used in her death. If she was on the run away from them, it would be hard for them to grab the items.

But if she was talking with someone and turned her back, they could easily have grabbed the cord or rope and used it to strangle her, meanwhile grabbing for the knife that they used to cut her with. Because she didn't see it coming she was unprepared to defend herself, strangled from behind she had few points of contact with the perp and because the perp was behind her she had no targets plus her main concern would be to get the constriction off of her throat. She may have been choked to unconsiousness before the knife was used (thus no wounding of her fingers.)

Why switch from strangling to knife? My theory is that it took too long for the stranglation, they wanted it to happen quicker. There can be several reasons for that, but one is that they think they are being more merciful by making it quicker. (someone who professed to love her might use this rationale.) Other reasons of course are that they feel pressed for time, they are acting out a fantasy, or their rage, frenzy and desire to kill is not being sated fast enough.

If she was sleeping there is the question of how the perp entered the home. Did she keep her home locked during the day, when she was home alone or when laying down to sleep? Or did they have a key?

Current bf and her were arguing, and he was jealous. I hate to say this, but a woman who has lived with an abusive boyfriend will sometimes very unconciously end up with another abusive bf. The same traits in the first bf that drew her to him will draw her to the second bf. And being a second abusive relationship, the woman may be less likely to report or talk to friends about it. Because sometimes they begin to feel that maybe it is them that is at fault. She had a protective order against the ex, she was fighting the ex over the child, and still he was jealous of the ex? That leads me to believe that the current bf's jealousy was pretty irrational.

Still there is this question. If she was arguing with the current bf recently over the ex boyfriend, does that mean there was recent contact with the ex bf?

I think the perp premeditated this right down to using items from the home so there would be no link to him. I have been told gang hits are like this they even wear gloves and wash the knife.

In Lacey's case, she was strangled then her throat was cut. She was left to die and there was no forced entry and nothing was taken. Lacey was a good cook (having worked in the food industry since she was 15). She had sharp knives.

What was the motive?

Does anyone have any knowledge of a Latino group called the cutthroats? Latin count or kings and what the diff is?

Respectfully snipped for space.

ChaCha, here's the apartment complex as it looks on Google Earth. If you want a more zoomed in photo, or zoomed out, let me know. I wasn't sure how close you wanted it.

ejbdrk.jpg

Lacey Claire Gaines was murdered on Dec 7, 2009 (20 yrs old)

I appreciate any help you can give me. These are her my.space pages. Don't be afraid to ask me questions. If I know I'll tell you.

Does anyone know how to Google Earth the apt complex?

Lacey lived in the first block of Hickory Trace Drive in Justice, IL at the:
Sunset Lake Apartments - reviews and info - even contact info
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=15174169193367605790&q=sunset%2Blake%2Bapt%2Bhomes,%2Bjustice,%2Bil&hl=en&gl=us&view=feature&mcsrc=detailed_reviews&num=10&start=10

Yes, or perhaps he attacked from behind...with the rope and with the knife.

I wondered the same thing. She has stated she wanted to marry her new boyfriend and make a new life with him. I asked and no one knew why she was at the Dr.

Could have been anything.

I wonder if they surprised her and cut off her air supply and then laid her down and cut her throat.

Yes both were latino and I believe may have been here illegally.

ChaCha my condolences on your tragic loss.

From the description, it sounds like she was killed by surprise, without struggle and quietly. Which would be the goal of any murder.

IMO, the key to this is motive.

My first guess is the ex / father. His motive being getting out of child support and getting full custody of their child. If I read correctly, the ex / father has another child with another woman? Correct? If so, the ex / father would have already gone through the family court system and gotten "screwed" - so he would certainly want to avoid this again at any cost. Also, he may be upset that another man was raising his son?

But the police say he has an alibi and passed a lie detector? Do you know what his alibi is? I'm guessing from the lie detector, he did not kill her directly. So it was a gang / for hire? Gangs will easily provide alibis, lie and kill for friends, members and supporter$.

My second guess, is her current boyfriend. From what I know, the only motive would be jealousy? No surprise pregnancies, cheating or other factors? I've never been a jealous guy, so I can not understand the jealous feeling or how it could lead to killing. That said, he was dating a woman, Lacy, with another mans child - not something a jealous guy does, IMO.

I have to go with the ex / father, with the help of friends / gang.

I wish you luck and happiness.

ChaCha, here's the apartment complex as it looks on Google Earth. If you want a more zoomed in photo, or zoomed out, let me know. I wasn't sure how close you wanted it.

ejbdrk.jpg

Lacey Claire Gaines was murdered on Dec 7, 2009 (20 yrs old)

I appreciate any help you can give me. These are her my.space pages. Don't be afraid to ask me questions. If I know I'll tell you.

Does anyone know how to Google Earth the apt complex?

Lacey lived in the first block of Hickory Trace Drive in Justice, IL at the:
Sunset Lake Apartments - reviews and info - even contact info
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...eature&mcsrc=detailed_reviews&num=10&start=10

WOW THANK YOU! I wondered if you could show the entry way to main door.

Here's the problem with Spanish/Mexican names in the United States criminal system...

I'll use the following (made up by me) name as an example:

David Jesus Fernandez De la Cruz

* David - is this pretend criminal's first name or given name

* Jesus - is this pretend criminal's middle name

* Fernandez - is this pretend criminal's father's last name

* De la Cruz - is this pretend criminal's mother's last name

Having two last names is extremely common among those born in Mexico. In fact, it is the norm. The father's last name comes first, followed at the end by the mother's. (It's the reverse of how many of us here in the U.S. would think it would be).

Now, some of the problems with this in the American court system are as follows...

* Most arrest records, and court documents in the United States, only allow for 3 names: First/ Middle/ Last. But, most Mexican Nationals have 4 names: First/ Middle/ Last/ Last.
So, with the American official records, one of these last names ends up getting dropped. (Or, less often, the middle name gets dropped- I've even seen record where the first name has suddenly been dropped, and the criminal is now using his middle name as his first).

* Technically, the Mexican National does have two last names, and it is legal to use either one. The problem is, many criminals are aware of this, and will use their last names interchangeably to willfully confuse American court records.

So, using the made up example name I came up with above, this one criminal may show up in court records under several varieties of the same name, for example:

* David Jesus De la Cruz
* David Jesus Fernandez
* David Jesus Fernandez De la Cruz (you will almost never find all 4 names in correct order)
* David Fernandez De la Cruz
* Jesus De la Cruz
* Jesus Fernandez
* Jesus Fernandez De la Cruz
* David J. Fernandez
* David F. De la Cruz
(and on and on and on)

I've heard that many Mexican National criminals in the Phoenix, Arizona area use this to their full advantage.

It is also different because compared to America (the so-called 'melting-pot' of the world), there are fewer last names. Meaning a larger percentage of their population share the same last names (and first names, for that matter- especially male first names). So, it can be tough sometimes to be certain you have the person you think you do.

Also, Mexican identification documents are not held to the same standards as American identification documents, and are much easier to falsify. It is not uncommon to find a slight variation in the birthdate- 1/29/74 becomes 1/09/74 or 1/20/74 or 1/20/79.

These, and other reasons, can make it difficult to get the full criminal background on an individual born in Mexico.

I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and your family. She was very pretty.

Cha cha, click the map, click on the A and select street view. move with your arrows and you can see all of the doors.

Very good questions, thank you. I live far away and sometimes the obvious is so obvious. Neighbors good question also I do think ph records will help. Yes I think she was fearful and that is why she left the baby with grnadmother. But fearful of what and who?

There are only a few ways to get information and only one is legal. HIPPA laws provide privacy for patients of doctors office visits, hospital stays or ER visits. The only legal way to get information would be through the LE agency(ies) involved. Problem with this is that LE will have the information, your family will not.

I think the result of the Doctor visit could have great bearing on this case! I I think it could also provide the key to finding the killers motive. This was obviously personal, non rape/robbery provoked. Sounds like a surprise attack, but there would still be a chance to fight, or multiple attackers. (My personal belief.)

As for motive, I would guess her current boyfriend caught her talking to her ex in person or on the phone, she was pregnant and one of the men were angry about it, she told the ex she was going to give him their son, (even though she had NO intention of doing so, hence having him at his grandparents), or it was the age old "If I can't have her no one will."

I truly believe the phone records will solve this one!

Continued prayers for your family and hope this will be solved soon with swift justice.

* Mexican Mafia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Mafia

* Latin Kings (Chicago based) (this is a profile from the National Gang Crime Research Center):
http://www.ngcrc.com/ngcrc/page15.htm

* Latin Counts:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_are_the_latin_counts_street_gang

* Best Gang Information Website I've found:
http://www.gangsorus.com

* Another Excellent Website Full of Information On Gangs:
www.knowgangs.com

* Also Has Section On Chicago Gangs:
http://gangresearch.net

There are only a few ways to get information and only one is legal. HIPPA laws provide privacy for patients of doctors office visits, hospital stays or ER visits. The only legal way to get information would be through the LE agency(ies) involved. Problem with this is that LE will have the information, your family will not.

I think the result of the Doctor visit could have great bearing on this case! I I think it could also provide the key to finding the killers motive. This was obviously personal, non rape/robbery provoked. Sounds like a surprise attack, but there would still be a chance to fight, or multiple attackers. (My personal belief.)

As for motive, I would guess her current boyfriend caught her talking to her ex in person or on the phone, she was pregnant and one of the men were angry about it, she told the ex she was going to give him their son, (even though she had NO intention of doing so, hence having him at his grandparents), or it was the age old "If I can't have her no one will."

I truly believe the phone records will solve this one!

Continued prayers for your family and hope this will be solved soon with swift justice.

I agree. I have wondered if the ex had become threatened by the new boyfriend taking his son and what he saw as his US connection and funds.

This does sound like a gang 'hit' to me.

I wonder if the ex-boyfriend may have called in a 'favor' from his gang. (In most Mexican gangs, wives and girlfriends are viewed as possessions of men).

If this was indeed a gang hit, there would have been two of them- one to commit the murder, the other to serve as back-up and look-out. Maybe another third person waiting in a car a block or so away.

Whomever killed her may have picked the lock (did Lacey have a sliding glass door? Very easy to pick a sliding glass door lock), and may have been waiting for her in the apartment when she arrived home.

Most likely scenario, is the killer(s) silently ambushed her as she was finding her key/putting key in the lock. They came up behind her while she was facing her front door, knife or wire to her throat, gloved hand over her mouth- quickly and almost silently. Then they would proceed into the apartment with her to commit the crime in privacy.

If it was a gang hit, the killers were more than likely in and out of the apartment in just a matter of minutes.

'The Latin Kings' are said to be the largest and most powerful Mexican/Latino Gang in all of Chicago. In fact, they are in the top three of all Chicago gangs, and actually got their start in Chicago.

ChaCha... did Lacey know someone in or affiliated with this gang, the Latin Kings?

(BTW- Please see the links I added to my post #74, on the previous page).

I agree. I have wondered if the ex had become threatened by the new boyfriend taking his son and what he saw as his US connection and funds.

Great information Smart Blonde!

Cha Cha, great theory, but I am wondering if he would have "bloodied his hands" himself, or called in a favor. (This would of course not absolve him of guilt, but unfortunately would be more difficult to prove.) I think the latter is the greater chance of being what happend, as he is someone who was aware of your nieces strength and the fact that he may be recognized if he were seen at the scene of the crime.

Any man who tries to solve problems by beating a woman should ALWAYS be the prime suspect in that womans murder investigation. An alabi should HAVE to be proven by eye witness testimony, from someone other than family, girl friends, or "a friend" in such a situation. (I know that is not always possible, but the character of the witness as well as the circumstances need to be questioned!) That is inless it can be backed up by other evidence! That time frame during the day should be easy to find multiple witness testimony, possibly traffic cameras, receipts etc, to back up his "alabi". I am sure LE will try to make sure his alabi is valid!

The other thing that strikes me oddly, is that someone had to have seen or heard something or someone since it was daylight and late afternoon, early evening. Children would be out of school.

Also, the fact that Lacey was frightened enough to have her son stay with her parents is a huge neon light. stating she knew she was in danger. Again this tells me the phone records will tell who is most likely responsible.

I know I've said most of this already, but I just have that nagging feeling I am missing something VERY obvious.

9877459-f2e.jpg

Will my friends here at websleuths help us find Lacey's killer?

My niece Lacey Claire Gaines just turned 20 on Dec 1 and was murdered on Dec 7, 2009.

There have been a few Facebook sites and a memorial site created. You may read all news so far at links on sites.
Story Link

http://www.my.opera.com/LaceyClaireGaines

We have a petition for Justice for Lacey at: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/laceygainesmurder

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help...Lacey-Gainess.../2379838

http://laceygaines.yolasite.com/

http://peace4missing.ning.com/profiles/blogs/in-memory-of-lacey-gaines?xg_source=activity

I'm so sorry. How horrible for you and all her family especially her little boy. He needed his mom. The monster who did this must pay. My first instinct is the ex. It's usually the ex. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

ejbdrk.jpg

WOW THANK YOU! I wondered if you could show the entry way to main door.

I tried, but it wouldn't let me go to street level. I'll try again in the morning when my husband is up..he's like a pro at using google earth, lol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back