LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have doubts about whether the attempted abduction/attack in NC is connected to Mickie in any way. There are plenty of violent criminals to go around for every state to have their very own...

At whatever time I posted that there were two members on this thread and like 5 guests. (Don't remember how many exactly) its pretty obvious people are losing interest. It is a lot different than earlier on when everytime I'd get on I'd have pages and pages to read through. Sometimes Wed go through a whole thread per day. There were always lots of people signed in with lots to say.....now not so much. And I find it odd that the guests outnumbered members at the time when I made my post.
Moo

No interest lost here!!:)
Thinking you you Mickey!!
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Been reading but nothing to add.
Come home, Mickey!

I have doubts about whether the attempted abduction/attack in NC is connected to Mickie in any way. There are plenty of violent criminals to go around for every state to have their very own...

RE: There are plenty of violent criminals to go around for every state to have their very own

I agree, cluciano63, there are an abundance of sexual predators lerking in every state. However the bump & grab, or in the NC case; bump & ruse, of a coed bicyclist is a very rare event and would require a certain amount of confidence & finess to carry out.
Children are frequently riding a bike when abducted, but adults are rare..

RE: There are plenty of violent criminals to go around for every state to have their very own

I agree, cluciano63, there are an abundance of sexual predators lerking in every state. However the bump & grab, or in the NC case; bump & ruse, of a coed bicyclist is a very rare event and would require a certain amount of confidence & finess to carry out.
Children are frequently riding a bike when abducted, but adults are rare..

I think in both cases it was very late, after midnight?
So the chances of finding a woman on a bike at that time are probably much less. But if a pervert happens to see one...

At whatever time I posted that there were two members on this thread and like 5 guests. (Don't remember how many exactly) its pretty obvious people are losing interest. It is a lot different than earlier on when everytime I'd get on I'd have pages and pages to read through. Sometimes Wed go through a whole thread per day. There were always lots of people signed in with lots to say.....now not so much. And I find it odd that the guests outnumbered members at the time when I made my post.
Moo

i understood what you meant. and i agree, there aren't as many people talking about Mickey anymore. there's not much to say. however, i am very interested in the Raleigh guy and CANNOT believe they basically LET him get away

So there is a shoulder on that bridge? Though very narrow. But at 2 215 am in the morning it is conceivable that someone could park there for no more than 10 15 seconds to get out and toss the bike and then leave in a hurry. What is your opinion on that?

And thank you for the details, I could see everything well as you described it to us.

I used to commute to BR from Laffy and also have driven back and forth at all hours after being out with friends. I think it would be pretty easy for a car to speed up, slow down until he found a gap in the traffic traveling that would buy him a minute, maybe two. He would have had to stop before the bridge starts to incline for the overpass so he could see the traffic approaching him. I think it's a definitely possibility. Especially if he parked then stood in front of the truck obscuring the view of car/truck that would be approaching.

do you think the laffy police will come and say whether they think mickeys case is or isn't related to the raleigh case? they are at least going to talk with the girl, right?

Moo
Sorry, you set my mommy vibe off, just became concerned.

So there is a shoulder on that bridge? Though very narrow. But at 2 215 am in the morning it is conceivable that someone could park there for no more than 10 15 seconds to get out and toss the bike and then leave in a hurry. What is your opinion on that?

And thank you for the details, I could see everything well as you described it to us.

Attached screenshot of Whiskey Bay bridge. No shoulder basically.

MrTT, if you'll look closely at the picture mahmoo attached, you'll see that the "shoulder" right at the Whiskey Bay exit is practically non-existent. It is probably less than half the width of a normal car. Plus, if the perp pulled over, he'd have to pull over into a very precise place to throw the bike into the water, because there's land under the exit too.

I think it *could* be done, but I also think it would be less dangerously and less chance of being seen if you just take the exit and drive down toward the boat ramps.

From an outsider's perspective, the problem might be that there is so much blabbing. If I had to guess (and hope), the right leads, the right "blabbing" has been done. The problem is, not knowing which "blabbing" is the right one and eliminating all of the other "blabbing" until you do get to the right one. But with so much of it, it means there's that much more to eliminate. After all, if they don't eliminate it, I can about guarantee a defense attorney will use it at trial to cast doubt on his client's guilt. Hopefully that is what LE is doing now, after all that is part of their job.

Oh, I can just betcha that LE got about a million silly tips for every one worth checking out. That is sure what happened in the DTL case, and I'm sure it happened here. However, the grapevine usually spreads the info beyond the LE and to the general public. For instance, to reference the DTL case again, we were hearing for weeks that the perp was dark skinned and possibly racially mixed......and LE wasn't even close to working on that angle yet.

It is just strange to me that we aren't hearing anything along the lines of "a curly haired guy named blahblahblah with a dragon tatoo who drives a chevy Z71 and works at blahblahblah did it. His daddy owns the blahblahblah business and his momma goes to church at St. Edmond's.His brother hangs out at the Pub and his sister is a student at UL" We haven't heard anything like this. Normally, we are hearing this kind of stuff, whether it is accurate or not. It's like there aren't even RUMORS going around right now! Very strange for Cajun country!

I really believe we aren't hearing LE release more info because they have SO LITTLE evidence that they have already released everything except for the very little they are holding back to confirm the suspect's story. IF they get a suspect.

I used to commute to BR from Laffy and also have driven back and forth at all hours after being out with friends. I think it would be pretty easy for a car to speed up, slow down until he found a gap in the traffic traveling that would buy him a minute, maybe two. He would have had to stop before the bridge starts to incline for the overpass so he could see the traffic approaching him. I think it's a definitely possibility. Especially if he parked then stood in front of the truck obscuring the view of car/truck that would be approaching.

it's possible, but it would be much safer and less obvious to exit. i don't see the point in dumping it from the top of I-10. it makes more sense to exit.

MrTT, if you'll look closely at the picture mahmoo attached, you'll see that the "shoulder" right at the Whiskey Bay exit is practically non-existent. It is probably less than half the width of a normal car. Plus, if the perp pulled over, he'd have to pull over into a very precise place to throw the bike into the water, because there's land under the exit too.

I think it *could* be done, but I also think it would be less dangerously and less chance of being seen if you just take the exit and drive down toward the boat ramps.

Oh, I can just betcha that LE got about a million silly tips for every one worth checking out. That is sure what happened in the DTL case, and I'm sure it happened here. However, the grapevine usually spreads the info beyond the LE and to the general public. For instance, to reference the DTL case again, we were hearing for weeks that the perp was dark skinned and possibly racially mixed......and LE wasn't even close to working on that angle yet.

It is just strange to me that we aren't hearing anything along the lines of "a curly haired guy named blahblahblah with a dragon tatoo who drives a chevy Z71 and works at blahblahblah did it. His daddy owns the blahblahblah business and his momma goes to church at St. Edmond's.His brother hangs out at the Pub and his sister is a student at UL" We haven't heard anything like this. Normally, we are hearing this kind of stuff, whether it is accurate or not. It's like there aren't even RUMORS going around right now! Very strange for Cajun country!

I really believe we aren't hearing LE release more info because they have SO LITTLE evidence that they have already released everything except for the very little they are holding back to confirm the suspect's story. IF they get a suspect.

BBM

this is true about DTL. they were swabbing white guys that drove white trucks while what was thought to be only a rumor, that the perp was black, was going around

That's true. He may have heard about Mickey's case on the news, and got the idea from there.

http://www.carynews.com/2012/06/28/60180/police-still-hunting-cameron-village.html

(If LE came up on the scene, perp could only

be charged with a minor vehicle accident/ticketed - this perp is a thinker, imo)

Bikes removed from scene in both abductions(forensics)
Two excellent points! You're a thinker too! :)

VERY good point. no home invasion type thing. he can just say "oops, now ride home with me" and we know the rest of the very sad story.

it's like he knows to go in the older garden district areas near college campuses. there are lots of trees and not much traffic.

also, it was exactly one month after Mickey was taken.
i wonder what damage occured to the Raleigh girl's bike. if it's just like the damage Mickey's bike sustained??

it's possible, but it would be much safer and less obvious to exit. i don't see the point in dumping it from the top of I-10. it makes more sense to exit.

If it was me, I'd be worried that if I exited, someone else could exit and we'd both look suspicious to each other. Meaning they would notice me and I'd notice them. However, if I had a window of opportunity to park on the bridge and throw it over, then it lands closer to the middle of the river which would mean better chance of the current taking it, and I'd be able to jump in my car and haul *advertiser censored* before another car would see me. I drove to BR this week and noticed some type of dwelling off the WB exit and several things of hay like it was someone's property or farm. Does anyone know what I was seeing?

Speaking of LPD press releases ... this one has been bugging me non-stop:
bbm:
UPDATE VIII: Condition of Bike Released by Detectives
Original Release: May 29, 2012 @ 3:30 pm
Lafayette, LA – Detectives with the Lafayette Police Department have released the condition of Mickey Shunick’s bike as it was found. The bike was found to be submerged except for a small section of the frame. The bike’s rear tire was found to be damaged. It is currently being processed by the Louisiana State Police Crime Lab. Detectives are hopeful that forensic experts can find evidence on the frame, handle bars and handgrips that were recovered at the scene.

I really get the distinct impression her bicycle was dismantled to some degree because of the wording of this release. Maybe LE doesn't want that info to be publicly known for investigative reasons.

My question is ... how could a "small section of the frame" be visible above water without any other part of the bike showing (seat, pedal, tire, handle bar)?? I don't understand how it's possible unless some or all of those parts had been detached from the frame. Any thoughts on this? I've attached a large photo of a Schwinn Cutter for reference as well as MS on her bike.

The last sentence of the press release is 'oddly' worded too, I find. Why not just state they hope forensic evidence could be recovered from the bike period rather than stating separate parts?

The above really leads me to believe the bike was taken apart for transport reasons. I do believe the white truck may well have been involved in her abduction and think the same white truck is in both photos in front of the Circle K. The bike could easily have been thrown in the bed of the truck when MS was initially abducted but ... I think, due to high publicity and the photos of the truck being released, the perp may have used a different vehicle to transport the bike to WB. That vehicle may not have had room to transport the bike intact so it needed to be dismantled so it would fit.

Dismantling the bike would likely have made it easier (lighter) to throw individual parts into the water as well. I'm kind of 'stuck' on whether one or both of the tires may have been removed since LE knew the back tire was damaged. I don't know if they would have been able to determine it was a back tire if it had been removed from the frame. Maybe just removing the front tire would have 'shortened' the bike enough to get it into a small trunk or backseat.

Definitely interested to read y'all's thoughts on the above.

ETA: I was looking at my daughter's bike trying to envision it in the water (completely intact) with just a small part of the frame being visible and honestly I don't see how it's possible without other parts of the bike being visible as well.

Attachments

• schwinn-cutter.jpg
    schwinn-cutter.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Mickey-Shunick-and-Bike-300x293.jpg
    Mickey-Shunick-and-Bike-300x293.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 14

Great Post and thank you! It really help the out-of-towners, like myself :) I was wondering what you thought about the possibility of two perps....one in the back-end of the truck. Would it be viable to throw a bike from a moving vehicle and end up where it did?!?! That's the only other option I could think of---if two people did do this and one was in the back w/ the bike (and possibly MS).....that is.....if the perp vehicle is even a truck :banghead:

P.S.-I noticed that the guests have been outnumbering the members A LOT lately. Do you have to "sign-in" as guest?! Just wondering why so many lurkers!

I think in both cases it was very late, after midnight?
So the chances of finding a woman on a bike at that time are probably much less. But if a pervert happens to see one...

The location where the bump to the cyclist in NC was an unlighted area. It would be interesting to know the exact location of Mickey Schunick's abduction. I am inclined to believe that it was also in an unlighted area of her route.

Also there had to be much more to the ruse used by the sexual predator in the NC abduction. The cyclist would have demanded to call 911 & report the incident or demanded payment for her damaged bike.

Reminds me of the ruse Gary Ridgeway; green river sk, used to lure the suspicious and distrustful prostitutes who knew a serial killer was preying on them. He would offer them $200.00, even though their fees were only half that much. Playing on their greed, he knew that he would retrieve the fee in the end..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle