CO CO - Eugene Fish, 53, Canon City, 21 June 2004

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Gene Fish, a 55-year-old retired federal worker, vanished without a trace from his 35-acre Fremont County property on June 21, 2004, according to a Fremont County sheriff’s report.

Since that date, he hasn’t used his credit cards or passport, tapped his $4,500-a-month pension or dipped into his bank accounts. He hasn’t checked in with his parents, whom he used to call weekly. And he hasn’t been in touch with his friends.

His wife, Lynn, 53, says he simply left abruptly — fed up with a house that didn’t meet his expectations and eager to be free of responsibility.

She says he smashed his computer, cut up his credit cards, left his cell phone, grabbed some cash and headed for Mexico or South America in his truck.

His father, a retired railroad investigator from Fultonville, N.Y., has paid about $50,000 to lawyers and investigators who’ve spent months scratching for clues about what transpired the day after Gene called his dad on Father’s Day 2004.

“I don’t know what happened to Gene,” he said. “My gut feeling tells me something is wrong. I am of the opinion that he never left.”

His gut is informed by puzzling aspects of Gene’s departure and apparent inconsistencies in accounts given by his wife to him and others. Lynn Fish declined an interview with The Gazette but has discussed the disappearance with neighbors, his family and friends and in court last week when she was appointed to oversee his assets.
http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1309054

This missing man, I found to be of interest...............but couldn't find any more info on him...............his truck appears in the driveway a few days later........no sign of him...........he cuts up credit cards and only has cash..............but wants to start a new life..............something is not sitting right..............but, he's a retired navy spy...............I just don't buy it...................anyone else ????

Blue Feather said:
This missing man, I found to be of interest...............but couldn't find any more info on him...............his truck appears in the driveway a few days later........no sign of him...........he cuts up credit cards and only has cash..............but wants to start a new life..............something is not sitting right..............but, he's a retired navy spy...............I just don't buy it...................anyone else ????
I agree Blue, something definetly seems odd on this one. And of course, she was put in charge of his assets, inconsistency in the stories....hmmmmm.
"...Lynn testified that she consulted a lawyer after Gene disappeared, then, on June 28, 2004, shifted $42,000 from two joint accounts into her name and named her daughter from a previous marriage as the beneficiary...."*
Since they live in a gated community, I wonder if there are cameras present that could have shown him leaving. Her differing accounts as to when he left also send up a red flag. I don't understand why LE are not investigating more and searching the property. And, the continuous talk of the rock wall says that needs to be looked into further.

*http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1309054

It seems that some of the husband's friends should put on their 'on the job thinking caps' and look for where this wifey buried the body, IMO. I don't believe her! :snooty: She did something to him.

JMHO
fran

Relatives of a retired government intelligence officer who has been missing for 18 months are bickering over how to handle his estate.

Eugene Fish, 53, left his home near Canon City on June 21, 2004, according to his wife, Lynn. His $4,621-a-month pension, bank accounts and credit cards haven't been used, nor has his passport.

Lynn Fish has estimated her husband had $10,000 to $25,000 in cash on him when he left, authorities said. He is a former Navy intelligence officer, former Nuclear Regulatory Commission worker and former F-105 pilot.

Sheriff Jim Beicker said he still considers it a missing-person case.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/5471528/detail.html

"Looking for Eugene Fish has no benefit to the estate," Lynn Fish said in her response, accusing Bill Fish of harassing her with costly legal maneuvers.

What is that supposed to mean? This seems kind of hinky.

Even though he is gone, Bill Fish's search for his missing son will continue.

Fish formed a trust before his death Saturday that will fund the search for Gene Fish, 56, who disappeared nearly three years ago.

"I know Bill wanted the case to go on in the event that he passed away," said Dave Spencer, a retired Colorado Springs Police Department homicide detective hired by Fish to find out what happened to his son, who hasn't used his passport or his $4,000 monthly pension since disappearing. The former Nuclear Regulatory Commission agent vanished from his home June 1 in Fremont County.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CO_MISSING_SON_COOL-?SITE=CODEN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I think the wife did something to her husband too. She sure hasn't been looking for him. Of course with the story that she is telling she wouldn't be looking for him as she said that he was fed up and wanted to start a new life. If that were true he would have made arrangements for his money, etc.
She is full of b.s.

I don't understand why some of his old buddys haven't gotten on the ball and looked for a body. They know that the dad didn't believe the wife and the many storys that she has told. Why isn't homicide in their town looking into this. I'll bet if they went in and sprayed that house down they would still find blood in the bedroom or garage...somewhere. Sounds like the locals believe her stories along with the judge in court.

Since joining websleuths it seems like I have read the same story over and over. There is reason to suspect someone but LE is either unable or unwilling to follow up. Here are these people who act suspicious by not searching for their missing loved ones and who contradict themselves and change their stories. I know that LE is overworked, but I never thought that it could be so easy for people to get away with murder.

I agree Mattsmom. It's sad, and unexceptable. I just wonder what the lawyers and investigators his Dad hired have come up with. If they can't find him, then I would think they have been investigating his wife.

How sad that Bill Fish died before ever knowing what happened to his son. If Gene's truck hadn't shown back up, I'd believe that he did possibly up and vanish. Being his truck was returned sends up red flags to me. I wonder why the Fish property was never searched.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1Y1-106136418.html

June 9, 2007:

Missing Man's Parents' Allege Murder in Lawsuit

The parents of a former government worker who has been missing nearly three years have filed a civil lawsuit against their daughter-in-law claiming she killed her husband. . . .

The suit, which also was filed against Johnnie Ray Florez, who is incarcerated in North Carolina, suggests that Lynn Fish hired Florez to assist in burying Gene Fish with use of a tractor. Florez reportedly lived on a 35-acre parcel six miles from the Fish home.

(more at link)
I hope the depositions and discovery in this case will finally resolve it and the responsible persons will be brought to justice. Very frustrating!

It really isn't hard to see right through that wife's story. I wonder if they live in a little one horse town and LE hasn't a clue how to see through storys like this one or how to figure out if the man's truck...that he was supposed to have taken to start a new life...comes home without the man...SOMETHING IS WRONG.

Can you imagine being in the shoes of Bill's family and having to put up with this joke of a LE? I'm glad that the family is taking that wife to court and I hope they have one heck of an attorney and that those investigators aren't taking that family for a ride. Bill's dad probably spent his whole life savings trying to find his son.

I did research on Eugene Fish, while working on Benjaman Kyle thread.
Theories:
IMO:
His wife killed him or had him killed, he is buried on the property.
Mr Fish' father had aerial survelliance done.
or
He left. He did not like his marriage. He did not like where he lived.

Problems:
IMO
His retirement income had not been touched.
Wife refused search of property.
His pickup was returned to the property soon after his disappearance.
His former job and perhaps former coworkers thought
would be helpful in any planned disappearance.

Eugene Fish, 53, left his home near Canon City on June 21, 2004, according to his wife, Lynn. His $4,621-a-month pension, bank accounts and credit cards haven't been used, nor has his passport.

This case is really weird. Maybe I'm way off or I'm in the wrong line of work, but isn't that a lot of money to be getting each month for a pension check? Especially one from the government. The wife really rubs me the wrong way.I doubt he just walked off.

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/4784926.html
This link already provided by Julessleuther.

It does have many details about the case.
Eugene Fish was a retired federal agent, with national security clearance.

'snipped'
Gene Fish hasn't been seen in 2 ½ years. His wife says he ran away. She never filed a missing persons report. It wasn't until three months later that a family friend notified the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office about Gene's disappearance.
As the night falls in Fremont County, the moon illuminates the sky in a quiet, rural community. A long and windy dirt road dead ends at the South T-Bar Ranch, the place where federal agent Gene Fish retired with his wife, Lynn in late 2003.
"On the 16th of June in 2004, I received a Father's Day card signed by Gene and Lynn in his handwriting," Bill Fish, Gene’s dad said in his New York home. Pushing 90 years old, Bill said his son would keep in contact on a weekly basis. Gene phoned his parents on June 20th, 2004 and then, sent an email the next day. "That was the last time I heard from Gene Fish," Bill said.
54-year-old Gene Fish mysteriously vanished.
In the missing persons report, it says Lynn told her in-laws in New York that Gene had run away in his red Ford pick-up truck on June 21st.

..more at link...

http://www.csindy.com/colorado/a-nagging-mystery/Content?oid=1833029

02 SEP 10

A nagging mystery
A war hero and best-selling author zeroes in on a missing-man case in Fremont County

Now, the case has reeled in a new curiosity-seeker who's not your average armchair detective. In his living room north of this prison town, Anthony Herbert has taken to methodically scouring the strange story of Gene Fish. Herbert's not looking for fame or fortune. He's had both during his 80 years: most decorated Korean War soldier, forensic psychologist, bestselling author, winner of a landmark Supreme Court case against CBS' 60 Minutes.

More at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back