Case Review #1: Thread #12: LE Press Conference & Sheriff's Interview: July 2 2010

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
Case Review #1: Thread #12: LE Press Conference & Sheriff's Interview: July 2 2010

Today's case review topic is the LE press conference and Sheriff's interview of Friday, July 2, 2010. There was no LE press release for this date.

Before beginning the Case Review, please read the Introductory thread here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112566"]Introduction: Kyron Horman Case Review #1: LE Press Conferences & Releases[/ame]

The first post in that thread explains the Case Review. The second post in that thread contains the Case Review schedule.

Thread #1: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112614"]Kyron Horman Case Review #1: Thread #1: LE Press Conference & Release: June 5 2010[/ame]

Thread #2: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112688"]Kyron Horman Case Review #1: Thread #2: LE Press Conference & Release: June 6 2010[/ame]

Thread #3: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112811"]Case Review #1: Thread #3: LE Press Conferences & Release: June 7 2010[/ame]

Thread #4: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112898"]Case Review #1: Thread #4: LE Press Conferences & Release: June 8 2010[/ame]

Thread #5: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113029"]Case Review #1: Thread #5: LE Press Conferences & Releases: June 9 2010[/ame]

Thread #6: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113041"]Case Review #1: Thread #6: LE Press Conferences & Releases: June 10 2010[/ame]

Thread #7: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113090"]Kyron Horman Case Review #1: Thread #7: LE Press Conferences & Releases: June 11 2010[/ame]

Thread #8: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113210"]Case Review #1: Thread #8: LE Press Conferences & Releases: June 12 2010[/ame]

Thread #9: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113289"]Case Review #1: Thread #9: LE Press Conferences & Release: June 13 2010[/ame]

Thread #10: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113429"]Case Review #1: Thread #10: LE Press Releases: June 14 - June 17[/ame]

Thread #11: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113491"]Case Review #1: Thread #11: LE Press Conference & Releases: June 18 2010[/ame]

** Please note that it's important, since we'll be reviewing a variety of information, that we don't turn this into a General Discussion thread, and cause more work for our mods. The goal is to look for new information, information that now has more meaning to us than it did earlier, and document it here, so let's stay focused!

If we want to discuss possible meanings of what we find, let's do it in one of the discussion threads, so we can stay focused on our fact finding mission here.

Case Review Reference Link - July 2 News Articles

The news articles for July 2 can be found in this Today's News thread in the Reference Forum:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108322"]2010.07.02 ~ TODAY's CURRENT NEWS ***No discussions please*** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

If you'd like to review the news articles for the dates between the last Case Review thread #11, which was for June 18, and this case review thread, you can find links to them in the Today's News threads in the Reference Forum here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=411"]Kyron Horman Reference and Time Line Forum - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

** Please note that this thread is not for the news articles from June 19 through July 1. If you'd like to discuss the contents of those news articles, please search for an appropriate existing thread, or start a new thread.

Transcript of interview with Sheriff Dan Staton:

One of the major, major players in this, which you don't normally call in initially, but I had them called in the very first day that this started, was the FBI. I felt because of the circumstances behind this type of a search, the fact that it involved a child, it was inside of a school, was the last known sight of the child, this was significant to me. It was very important and I felt that I needed to have all of the resources available. This is an unusual circumstance for a child to come up missing inside a school.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_horman_investigation_tra.html

Jung: "And are these leads, for instance, just people who believe they saw Kyron or people who perhaps saw … they're reporting, 'Oh, I remember seeing Terri Horman at the school.'"

Staton: "A lot of the leads basically are … that have come in and some of them I've looked at, have been suggestions in a lot of cases. The citizens who live up in that particular segment of our community, they live there, they know that's going on. They know the dynamics and they provide information on things that we would never really think of regarding the dynamics of the community that help us to look at different areas or ask specific types of questions."

~~~snip

Jung: "In terms of what will move this investigation forward, are you looking just depending on leads coming in from the tip line, is it interviews with the family members, what are the elements you think can actually ...?”

Staton: "All of them that you've mentioned. New leads help us build off of old leads. If we've got a lead that we're working on — and this applies to any case — you've got a lead that you're working on and you haven't closed that lead out and there's another piece of information that comes in from another source that will add to that, it helps expand on that. And potentially that lead will take us somewhere. That's what we're looking for and that's one of the reasons why I'm talking with you. Keeping this out there — people think of things. And we do take suggestions — please, you communicate this to your readers. We take these suggestions that come in. It may not be a lead where you're pointing at an individual or a location or anything like that, but taking a suggestion."

What does that mean? Taking suggestions?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_horman_investigation_tra.html

Transcribed from the presser video:

Staton: ...and talking with the district attorney's office, with the FBI, with the investigators involved, we have no evidence that indicates that, anything other than the fact that Kyron Holmes is still alive...

Transcribed from the presser video:

Staton: ...and talking with the district attorney's office, with the FBI, with the investigators involved, we have no evidence that indicates that, anything other than the fact that Kyron Holmes is still alive...

Holmes? Was that a typo or a Freudian slip on Staton's part?

Mather: "Sheriff, earlier when this all began Capt. Gates was very emphatic when he said that the office fully believes this is an isolated incident. Do you still stand by that, can you comment on that? Do you really believe this is just a one-time thing that happened?"

Staton: "Right at this particular point we have nothing that indicates that this is a serial type of event. Nothing's been developed in the course of the investigation that would leave us to believe that."

Jung: "Is there any evidence, though, that you can offer to say that this is why? Because in the absence of anything saying it's — you're saying there's nothing to show there's a serial abductor out there. Is there anything to say that this is someone he knew?"

Staton: "That I couldn't comment on."

Jung: "Because we do get calls every day from readers, from the public being concerned about — do they really have someone in mind or, for instance, the incident out in St. Helens — is there someone who could still be out there — a stranger taking children?"

Staton: "The only comment that I could have on that right now is we have no evidence that there is anybody — that there's a serial — that this is a serial type of event that's taking place. The St. Helens event — after going through, listening to what actually transpired, the interview process, their investigation on that, it's not related to this event. That is a separate isolated event and there's nothing that would indicate we have one person running around. It just fell into that category. This is one of the reasons why this particular investigation did not jump into that investigation. Had it led to that belief, I believe we would have went in that direction."

Jung: "Can you comment on Terri Horman? Is she a person of interest and do you believe she is connected with his disappearance?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on. I'm sorry."

Jung: "What else could you say to reassure the public that this truly is not a serial, that there isn't a general public threat considering there's no evidence one way or the other it sounds like?"

Staton: "What I would tell you right at this point is that if I was led to believe during the course of this investigation that this was an issue that parents needed to be concerned with, the school districts needed to be concerned with, that our law enforcement community needed to be concerned with, you'd be hearing that from me right now sitting at this table that we have got a situation and everybody needs to be aware of it and we need to start building in the appropriate precautions.

"What I can say is that, ultimately, when this investigation is over with, we will be doing a post-study on this entire investigation — everybody's involvement, across the board. And we will be able to identify those things that we personally can improve on but we can also identify what I believe would be the weaknesses that may have or could have attributed to this. Those are the things that come out of a post-evaluation on this type of a thing. And this is something that once that's complete — the public will be actively involved, obviously your paper will be actively involved in that — that information needs to go out because if there are concerns, I think we as a community, our public officials need to start making adjustments internally to protect our children."

No comment whether it's someone Kyron knows but there is no indication that it's a serial type event.

Setting the family aside, what are some of the motives for strangers to abduct a child, just once? How often do sexual predators not reoffend?

No comment whether it's someone Kyron knows but there is no indication that it's a serial type event.

Setting the family aside, what are some of the motives for strangers to abduct a child, just once? How often do sexual predators not reoffend?

Every predator offends for the first time. At that point, it's not serial.

Jung: "And are these leads, for instance, just people who believe they saw Kyron or people who perhaps saw … they're reporting, 'Oh, I remember seeing Terri Horman at the school.'"

Staton: "A lot of the leads basically are … that have come in and some of them I've looked at, have been suggestions in a lot of cases. The citizens who live up in that particular segment of our community, they live there, they know that's going on. They know the dynamics and they provide information on things that we would never really think of regarding the dynamics of the community that help us to look at different areas or ask specific types of questions."

~~~snip

Jung: "In terms of what will move this investigation forward, are you looking just depending on leads coming in from the tip line, is it interviews with the family members, what are the elements you think can actually ...?”

Staton: "All of them that you've mentioned. New leads help us build off of old leads. If we've got a lead that we're working on — and this applies to any case — you've got a lead that you're working on and you haven't closed that lead out and there's another piece of information that comes in from another source that will add to that, it helps expand on that. And potentially that lead will take us somewhere. That's what we're looking for and that's one of the reasons why I'm talking with you. Keeping this out there — people think of things. And we do take suggestions — please, you communicate this to your readers. We take these suggestions that come in. It may not be a lead where you're pointing at an individual or a location or anything like that, but taking a suggestion."

What does that mean? Taking suggestions?

Ideas, rumors, opinions, speculation, dreams, visions, hallucinations, etc, versus actual info I suppose.

Well I transcribed it yesterday, but accidentally closed the file without saving and lost it, so I'm not going to transcribe it again lol.

But in the Q&A session, a reporter states that the day before Desiree issued a statement asking that Terri be fully cooperative, and the reporters asks the Sheriff if there's something about Terri that the media doesn't know.

The sheriff says to date, based on what the detectives and investigators have told him, Terri has not been uncooperative.

Staton: "The only comment that I could have on that right now is we have no evidence that there is anybody — that there's a serial — that this is a serial type of event that's taking place. The St. Helens event — after going through, listening to what actually transpired, the interview process, their investigation on that, it's not related to this event. That is a separate isolated event and there's nothing that would indicate we have one person running around. It just fell into that category. This is one of the reasons why this particular investigation did not jump into that investigation. Had it led to that belief, I believe we would have went in that direction."

So, the St. Helen's assault on the child was an isolated event, just like Kyron's disappearance was.

My oh my.

And nothing to indicate we have one person running around. Probably two or more people who hurt children.

Lord God.

Jung: "And is there anything in terms of Kaine's decision to get divorced from Terri Horman — the statement that was released suggested that there was information revealed by investigators that lead to that breakup. Is there anything you can tell me about if they had met with Kaine to brief him about the investigation and is there anything that you know of that led to that?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on. I — I don't believe there's anything indication that would lead me to believe that, but I can't comment on that."

In the interview, the reporter is asking about Kaine and Desiree's statement, reasons why Kaine was divorcing Terri, and their statements about Terri not cooperating, and the Sheriff says:

But getting back to whether or not she's cooperating or not, that I can't comment on because I've got no indications to the contrary on that.

(Link right above to the Sheriff's interview)

Jung: "At this point, you were talking a little bit about the investigation and I think we interrupted you — they're continuing to receive leads and look into those, that there have been areas that have been taken off the list. Can you tell me what some of those areas that have been taken off the list are?"

Staton: "Most of those were portrayed at one of the media pieces that Capt. Gates held. The areas we're looking at are all within the scope of the search area in which I'm sure that you can get access to the map that actually shows what was actually covered during that process. These are areas that were identified. A lot of those areas came in also as part of leads and suggestions that we may need to check. Again this goes back to having a media source that gets out there because there are dynamics about this area that we can use topographical maps, but there are areas, for instance, where kids play and a stream comes through that can be target areas as well. This kind of information we need to have and the actual scope of the search again I'm sure that we can get the same map that we provided so you can look at everything that was covered through the air support and the ground support and the use of K-9."

Jung: "And those have been cleared?"

Staton: "They've gone through those, in some cases, some of those areas were gone through four separate times using multiple techniques, either dogs and searchers, dogs and/or the aircraft, but combinations of two or three sources going through the area."

Jung: "And was there any sign of Kyron found that he had gone through that way or anything?"

Staton: "No."

So, MCSO released two maps along with the rural roads on which they were looking for videos. Does this mean no sign having gone through that way was found there?

I love this:

Jung: "Has there been an effort to look at sexual predators in the area or have you called that off?"

Staton: "Helen, that's kind of a ridiculous question."

Jung: "Why is that a ridiculous question?

Staton: "I think you kind of have an answer to that already in your own mind."

Jung: "OK, well —"

Staton: "Why would any investigator not look at every aspect? When we bring in our investigators, we're bringing in investigators that are child abuse experts, they're homicide experts, they're experts in abduction — they're experts across the board. They start outlining what the plan's going to be and we're going to look here, here, here, here and here, and they gather all of the sources and information."

Jung: "And are they still doing that?"

Staton: "Obviously."

Jung: "In terms of looking at sexual predators right in the area?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on. But what I can say is when we employ investigators in this type of an investigation, not knowing and not having any direction as to what actually happened, you're bringing in experts from every category to start building the plan of what we're going to do and how we're going to do it."

Jung: "At this point, you were talking a little bit about the investigation and I think we interrupted you — they're continuing to receive leads and look into those, that there have been areas that have been taken off the list. Can you tell me what some of those areas that have been taken off the list are?"

Staton: "Most of those were portrayed at one of the media pieces that Capt. Gates held. The areas we're looking at are all within the scope of the search area in which I'm sure that you can get access to the map that actually shows what was actually covered during that process. These are areas that were identified. A lot of those areas came in also as part of leads and suggestions that we may need to check. Again this goes back to having a media source that gets out there because there are dynamics about this area that we can use topographical maps, but there are areas, for instance, where kids play and a stream comes through that can be target areas as well. This kind of information we need to have and the actual scope of the search again I'm sure that we can get the same map that we provided so you can look at everything that was covered through the air support and the ground support and the use of K-9."

Jung: "And those have been cleared?"

Staton: "They've gone through those, in some cases, some of those areas were gone through four separate times using multiple techniques, either dogs and searchers, dogs and/or the aircraft, but combinations of two or three sources going through the area."

Jung: "And was there any sign of Kyron found that he had gone through that way or anything?"

Staton: "No."

So, MCSO released two maps along with the rural roads on which they were looking for videos. Does this mean no sign having gone through that way was found there?

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/story/UPDATE-Search-for-missing-Kyron-Horman/BZLh9HfWt0W7V0X7nGLB8A.cspx

"On the search end, efforts continue to find Kyron alive, said Sgt. Diana Olsen of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office. We know where he's not, so we feel we're getting closer to where he is," she said. She declined to say why searchers were on Sauvie Island, a considerable distance from Skyline School."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My take on this, based on these 2 statements, is that the searching ended up being more of a rule out process. The video requests for the 3rd and 4th were asked for at the previous Saturday's PC, so I don't think they had time by this date to view and process them all. Also, Staton says this:

Jung: "Is it believed that he was taken from the school then, in a vehicle?"

Staton: "I can't comment on that."

So, it seems like after the initial foot/canine/water/helicopter searches, nothing was found to indicate Kyron walked away from the school. Therefore, I guess, that led them to videos of the streets looking for a vehicle or vehicles. ?

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/story/UPDATE-Search-for-missing-Kyron-Horman/BZLh9HfWt0W7V0X7nGLB8A.cspx

"On the search end, efforts continue to find Kyron alive, said Sgt. Diana Olsen of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office. We know where he's not, so we feel we're getting closer to where he is," she said. She declined to say why searchers were on Sauvie Island, a considerable distance from Skyline School."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My take on this, based on these 2 statements, is that the searching ended up being more of a rule out process. The video requests for the 3rd and 4th were asked for at the previous Saturday's PC, so I don't think they had time by this date to view and process them all. Also, Staton says this:

Jung: "Is it believed that he was taken from the school then, in a vehicle?"

Staton: "I can't comment on that."

So, it seems like after the initial foot/canine/water/helicopter searches, nothing was found to indicate Kyron walked away from the school. Therefore, I guess, that led them to videos of the streets looking for a vehicle or vehicles. ?

That makes sense.

This also tells me that they found no evidence (such as dropped glasses) of him going out to a truck or other vehicles on the access road, or in the parking lot, or anything.

That makes sense.

This also tells me that they found no evidence (such as dropped glasses) of him going out to a truck or other vehicles on the access road, or in the parking lot, or anything.

Maybe or maybe not. There would most definitely be a scent of Kyron in and around the school and also from the morning's entrance from where TH parked and they entered the school. I know nothing about bloodhounds/search dogs, so I don't know if they can differentiate between strong (hours old scents) versus milder (days old scents).

But after "noodlin'" (I love that word!), this does corroborate the last presser wherein LE was asking for people to call in who had parked in the south (?) parking lot and wanting people to phone in about the parking situation (or whatever it was that they asked - so much info on this case and my mind is getting rusty).

This leads me to believe there is something about the parking lot that is pretty important to solidly prove. What that thing is, I have no clue. It troubles me greatly that Kaine still drives that truck (if it is his truck). That's something that just does not add up to me for a variety of reasons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back