Subway Doors Close Leaving 3 Yr Old Stranded While Dad is Carried Away

gaia227

I have never taken any exercise except sleeping an
Reaction score
This made me kinda cry but in a good way.

As you can see from the surveillance tapes the subway doors stay open for about 5 seconds, just long enough for the 3 yr old to exit, holding his dad's hand but the doors close on dad's arm forcing him back in. Thankfully there was a woman standing there and she immediately bends down to comfort the little guy and they sat together on the bench until dad was able to get back up. There is no sound which perhaps is what makes it more poignant. The kindness of strangers, the body language of the boy when he realizes Dad is not coming and the reunion of father and son.

It is a small thing, over quickly and all is well but somehow it is more touching than a lot of things I have seen lately.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34059753/ns/today?GT1=43001

Reminds me of a couple years ago I was sitting on the bench waiting for the train and there was this little girl sitting beside me. She was about 2 and she was quietly crying. I looked around, no adult any where in sight. I asked a man sitting next to me if he knew her and he said no. I tried to talk to her but she would not speak to me. I was stuck because I wanted to go get a police officer but I didn't want to leave her but I didn't want to take her with me either in case her guardian did return plus I don't think she would have gone anywhere with me without having a fit. I asked the man next to me if he would mind getting an officer for me, the guy got up but he never returned and a few minutes later I saw him standing a few feet away -didn't want to get involved I guess. So, I sat there and waited for about 20 minutes periodically asking the girl where her mommy or daddy was but she never answered just stared at her hands and whimpered. Then out of no where this woman appears and the first thing she says is "What the hell are you crying about?", grabs the girls wrist, yanks her off the bench and starts dragging her away. I asked this woman if this was her daughter, she said yes and I asked if she realized she had left her sitting alone for 20 min in a NYC subway to which she replied 'yeah, what of it?" and started off again. At that point I did approach an officer and told him what happened. That was the last of my involvement. I think about that little girl alot and the way her 'mother' treated her with complete disregard and selfishness. I hope she is okay.

Thanks for posting this, gaia. I believe that 99.9% of human beings would have responded just as the red-head did, but I'm sure the whole thing probably stopped the father's heart.

Bless that woman.

I would hope that anyone would do the same but you never know.

Thanks for posting this, gaia. I believe that 99.9% of human beings would have responded just as the red-head did, but I'm sure the whole thing probably stopped the father's heart.

I think so too. As much violence and such we see in the world it is nice to be reminded that most people are inherently kind.

Gaia, thanks ever so much for posting this. Just wonderful. :)

How Wonderful! I knew before watching the video that it would make me cry. I think it is a good reminder for people to step up and do the right thing in certain situations. So often people don't want to get involved...

Awww.. So nice to see the kindness of strangers.

Gaia, sadly so often people just can't be bothered getting involved. I'm glad you too were able to wait to see if that little girl was safe and notify the officer.

Gaia, blessings on you for your kind and caring heart. I hope the little girl in your story is safe somewhere in this world.

And what a terrific story of this red haired angel. Since no one has mentioned her name, I wonder if they don't know who she is and if she is seeing herself on the news. Maybe she wants to simply stay out of the limelight. It warmed my heart to see them give each other hugs -- especially little Aiden at the end.

I saw this story this morning and thought, what a blessing this redhead lady is! I hope we get to find out who she is! What an angel.

They need to make that timer longer on subway doors,agh i don't like subways..

They need to make that timer longer on subway doors,agh i don't like subways..

I think there was a malfunction or the conductor was not paying attention. On the NYC subways some of the train doors are still opened and closed manually by transit workers. The newer trains are automated now everything from the announcements to the doors opening and closing are all on a computer.....which personally makes me more nervous than being manual. On the train I take every day the transit workers stick their heads out of the window and watch people going in and out, announce the door closing and pull a level which closes them. There are lights on the outside of the train where the doors are which indicate if they are closed securely or not. The doors typically stay open for at least 45 seconds to a minute unless the train is being held in the station and then they just stay open until dispatched to move. I can't imagine the short amount of time that door was open is standard at least I hope not. I have always thought about that happening when I see parents with children trying to get in or out of the train, especially during rush hour when things are hectic and people are going in every direction. I would be a nervous wreck if I had small children I had to herd through the NYC subways.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back