GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please indulge me this morning--migraine--so I don't have my wits about me. I can't remember who GH's attorney is--can you please send a link?

James Freeman, the attorney appointed from the Wake County Public Defenders Office to defend Grant, said Thursday that he spoke with Hayes in jail Tuesday afternoon and has begun to work on his defense. He did not comment on Hayes’ alleged involvement in the murder and would not describe Hayes’ spirits, citing “ethical principles.”​
[LINK]

Just for clarity, RA has never admitted to molesting his daughters. In fact, he points to the friend of the court report and interviews which he claims do not even hint of that or any questionable conduct.

He denies the allegations, but does admit that the allegations might be a problem.

I'm not sure what to think, the hearings should shed more light. What's known is that in 1984 when he and his second wife had Laura, his two daughters (aged 7 and 10 at the time) left to live with their mother, and Jason stayed with his father/stepmother & Laura.

You're right, he never admitted it, I should have worded my sentence differently. Looking forward to seeing if his ex wife retracts her allegations.
I don't have gut feelings very often but I'm having one about this case and the primaries involved. Something, many things, just don't feel right. I'll be glad when more info is made public. To my knowledge, GH's parents in Kinston still haven't said anything via interviews and haven't filed for temporary custody of the children have they?

James Freeman, the attorney appointed from the Wake County Public Defenders Office to defend Grant, said Thursday that he spoke with Hayes in jail Tuesday afternoon and has begun to work on his defense. He did not comment on Hayes’ alleged involvement in the murder and would not describe Hayes’ spirits, citing “ethical principles.”​
[LINK]

Thank you.
My daughter's best friend is an attorney in the AG's office in Raleigh. She knows pretty much everybody in the legal field in and around Raleigh. I'll try to get her take on Freeman........if she ever returns from vacation.

To my knowledge, GH's parents in Kinston still haven't said anything via interviews and haven't filed for temporary custody of the children have they?

Not as of August 3rd, and I have not seen anything about them doing so since then. It could be they will not contest - they do run a daycare fulltime.

Thank you.
My daughter's best friend is an attorney in the AG's office in Raleigh. She knows pretty much everybody in the legal field in and around Raleigh. I'll try to get her take on Freeman........if she ever returns from vacation.

We're all impatient, email her ;)

Not as of August 3rd, and I have not seen anything about them doing so since then. It could be they will not contest - they do run a daycare fulltime.

Part of me says since the father is a minister and they run a day care center in Kinston the boys may be fine with them forever. However, another part of me says these same people reared a son who is charged with murder, not to mention the gory-gruesome details, of said murder. It may be more beneficial in the long run if they keep quiet, refuse all interviews, and just maintain a low profile.
And the little boys may have an ultimate better life starting anew in another city with another family who will adopt them into in a normal, loving, all-American household far removed from the stigma of their father's legacy.

We're all impatient, email her ;)

I'll do that today. Hopefully, where ever she is, she can get email. She enjoys off the wall, secluded places like Gilligan's Island.

Just checking in here. I followed the Cooper case & the Young case but have never been a big poster on here. I just wanted to post today to say that I am here reading and constantly amazed at the awesome sleuthing going on here.

I am just sickened by what LA had to go through dealing with these people. :(

LA normally exchanged the kids in Wilson for weekend custody. Had she gone to to GH's apt in Raleigh before to see the kids? I'm just wondering since the custody arrangement was to meet in Wilson.

Just checking in here. I followed the Cooper case & the Young case but have never been a big poster on here. I just wanted to post today to say that I am here reading and constantly amazed at the awesome sleuthing going on here.

I am just sickened by what LA had to go through dealing with these people. :(

Hey, I remember you! Good to have you join us. Don't be shy and post as often as you can.

LA normally exchanged the kids in Wilson for weekend custody. Had she gone to to GH's apt in Raleigh before to see the kids? I'm just wondering since the custody arrangement was to meet in Wilson.

That's my understanding. She had business in Raleigh and saw her boys later that same day, took them out to eat or had wanted to. Was supposed to then meet a friend in Cary that same night and she never showed up in Cary.

That's my understanding. She had business in Raleigh and saw her boys later that same day, took them out to eat or had wanted to. Was supposed to then meet a friend in Cary that same night and she never showed up in Cary.

If this was premeditted they must have thought this was much better than trying to kill her in Wilson or Kinston. Who knows what they were thinking.

I wonder if someone saw her go into the apt. And of course she never came out. I wonder who moved her car from the current apt to the old apt (GH or AH?).

When I saw that storage unit mentioned in one of the search warrants I had an 'ah-ha' moment and thought perhaps the dismemberment occurred there. Don't know what led LE to there, hope more info comes out soon.
I'm so glad the LE removed the plumbing from the Hayes' apartment. I've watched enough CSI to know that even with a *perfect* clean up that sometimes lots of evidence is left behind in the plumbing that the offenders never think about. I am praying they retrieved enough evidence from everywhere and anywhere to put these two evil persons away forever.

The warrant says that the murder and dismemberment is believed to have occured in the apartment. It appears that there is evidence as mentioned in the trash that was discarded and "other household items" that indicated such.

I have a storage unit with many of my mother's things stored in it. I have to go through a gate with a code specific to our unit. I wonder if this is how the police knew that AH and GH were at the storage unit. When they began to suspect these two, they would have checked their movements during the timeframe of her disappearance. These inspections would have included any surveillance (possible at storage units), any bank activity (including cash withdrawls), possibly cell phone pings, etc...

I have no idea why they were at the storage unit, but it could be any number of reasons including looking for tools, plastic, or other items to help them dispose of Laura. As gruesome as it sounds, they might have just been trying to find something already in their possession to help them "get rid of the evidence".

rogerackerson2-240x180.jpg

[Rodger] "She told me several times in 2008, when she was up spending Christmas with me – she said she had to go back (to North Carolina), because if she didn't, Grant would send his thugs around to get her,"
Unsubstantiated allegations 28 years ago by his ex-wife that he molested three of his children, he said, could mean an uphill custody battle. He has denied the claims and said he plans to ask that she retract her statements.
He and his daughter [Laura], the youngest of four children, spoke on the phone at least three times a week, he said. They had a close relationship when she was growing up, and one of Roger Ackerson's fondest memories is watching butterflies with his daughter after it rained.​

[LINK]

If this was premeditted they must have thought this was much better than trying to kill her in Wilson or Kinston. Who knows what they were thinking.

I wonder if someone saw her go into the apt. And of course she never came out. I wonder who moved her car from the current apt to the old apt (GH or AH?).

I think I read somewhere that LA and GH used to live in the apartment complex where her car was found. There was speculation in that report that perhaps LA didn't know that GH and AH had moved and that they were still living in the same (old) apartment. I haven't read anything about witnesses who saw her entering the current apartment.
I still give major props to the Raleigh Police Dept. for acting fast and smart in this case. They put 2 and 2 together in a darn quick hurry and connected the dots all the way to Texas just in the nick of time. With another day or so in that Texas heat, and the alligator in the creek, I feel as if LA's body parts may have never been found.

“She was one of the most amazing women I have ever met,” said Mike Rivera, president of AllOver Media’s Greenville franchise, of Ackerson’s drive to become a consummate professional who could handle any task thrown at her.
Ackerson quickly excelled in the position and based on her sales output, Rivera agreed in November [2010] to promote her to operations manager
“She was a very intelligent woman who was extremely resourceful and resilient,”
Ackerson showed her true toughness, leaving AllOver Media in February to put her versatile skill set and cheerful attitude to the test as an entrepreneur.
Hard times led businesses to cut advertising, causing Ackerson to weigh the costs of making the commute from Kinston to Greenville against the sacrifices she needed to make to become a full-time mother, which Rivera said was her main goal.​

[LINK]

The warrant says that the murder and dismemberment is believed to have occured in the apartment. It appears that there is evidence as mentioned in the trash that was discarded and "other household items" that indicated such.

I have a storage unit with many of my mother's things stored in it. I have to go through a gate with a code specific to our unit. I wonder if this is how the police knew that AH and GH were at the storage unit. When they began to suspect these two, they would have checked their movements during the timeframe of her disappearance. These inspections would have included any surveillance (possible at storage units), any bank activity (including cash withdrawls), possibly cell phone pings, etc...

I have no idea why they were at the storage unit, but it could be any number of reasons including looking for tools, plastic, or other items to help them dispose of Laura. As gruesome as it sounds, they might have just been trying to find something already in their possession to help them "get rid of the evidence".

Right about the location of the murder. I was saying for an instant when I read about the storage unit I thought they may have dismembered her there.
LE removed a ton of potential evidence from the apartment, including the plumbing, to hopefully prove she was dismembered in the tub. I haven't found a connection yet to the storage unit, how or why LE went there, or if it holds any secrets.

LOL, love your thoughts! Those itty bitty crushes are fun aren't they--can't think of anybody out of Hollywood since Gregory Peck that I have been so absorbed by. With Jeff Ashton I was able to equate a brilliant mind with ultimate sexuality. And I'm OLD--way too old to be having thoughts like this!
I grew up without my father and grandfathers--sadly, each died at a very young age. I found myself daily wishing Judge Belvin Perry was my grandpappy--although I'm probably older than even he is. I just love that man and his wisdom... and would love to sit at his knee and just listen to him talk about his life experiences with him sharing his wisdom and thoughts on everything from the law to religion. I am afraid this never-ending CA saga may eventually do him in though. Too much stress, too many mistakes all around, too many unethical defense lawyers, too much of everything negative in that case.

East, have you heard any bad news about JP? Is he having problems? Man-oh-man, I hope not. I hope he has just washed his hands of it and has just settled-in to the next case. He certainly can't be challenged or reversed (that would prolly please him!!) on the freakin' verdict, so he has prolly chalked it up to "just one of crazy those things." Part of the job...
icon9.gif

And he would be a gr-r-r-reat grand-daddy or "Uncle Bel," wouldn't he? And yes, the stories he could tell!!

His demeanor during that trial really didn't change whether he denied or allowed testimony from either side, altho I could discern a bit of "oh, dammit" when he dealt with Baez at times..:hand:..:eek:...:doh:...:doorhide:... :anguish:...:noooo:..:sigh:..:ignore:. And that's the way a judge should be. Just like here in Raleigh, the principals know each other from talk they hear, from sharing a courtroom together in other procedures, and judges in "past lives" when they have been prosecutors or defenders or both.

Good thoughts to JP!
icon12.gif

(And yes, East, JA is just a tad (!) sexy!!) And Baby, you're nevah too old!!

rogerackerson2-240x180.jpg

[Rodger] "She told me several times in 2008, when she was up spending Christmas with me – she said she had to go back (to North Carolina), because if she didn't, Grant would send his thugs around to get her,"
Unsubstantiated allegations 28 years ago by his ex-wife that he molested three of his children, he said, could mean an uphill custody battle. He has denied the claims and said he plans to ask that she retract her statements.
He and his daughter [Laura], the youngest of four children, spoke on the phone at least three times a week, he said. They had a close relationship when she was growing up, and one of Roger Ackerson's fondest memories is watching butterflies with his daughter after it rained.​

[LINK]

Note--'his thugs'. And I bet he had a few. GH sickens me.

I think I read somewhere that LA and GH used to live in the apartment complex where her car was found.
I still give major props to the Raleigh Police Dept. for acting fast and smart in this case. They put 2 and 2 together in a darn quick hurry and connected the dots all the way to Texas just in the nick of time. With another day or so in that Texas heat, and the alligator in the creek, I feel as if LA's body parts may have never been found.

Yes, GH and LA + their infant son lived in the apt on Summit Manor (where her car was discovered on 7/20/11) in 2008 prior to moving to the VI.

AH (and GH) rented the apt where they currently live in May 2010 and have lived there since...well not any more.

I believe that the reason the car was moved there (by GH IMO) was because it was far enough away from GH apt so that it would not be casually seen around there, but not too far that he couldn't walk home (AH had infant and boys to watch). I also think his prints were the latent ones lifted in the SW.

re: RPD, I recall from early on that Texas LE couldn't compliment them enough on their knowledge, coordination, speed and efficiency. Quite frankly, they were amazed and not embarrassed to admit it. RPD were the first ones knocking on AH's sisters door after a courtesy check-in with the local sheriff's office. The FBSO came into the picture after RPD discovered body parts and based on their interviews with AH's relatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam