IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing was said about a cell phone. Not positive but seems like lyric and cousin went to some park or something. Anyway she was where she wasnt supposed to be and gone way too long. Might be a pattern......

Sounds like someone tested how long they would have before LE was called IMO and they "may" have been told to leave functiong cell at home?
moo

It probably could still be used for 911 though. Google search showed tons of pages with info about it but this one was pretty clear and concise:

http://firstaid.about.com/od/callingforhelp/bb/cell911.htm

"Any Phone Will Do
Wireless carriers are required to complete 911 calls, even when the phone is not activated. Any phone that turns on and can receive a signal is capable of making a 911 call.

The problem is: if the phone you're using isn't activated, there isn't a phone number assigned to it. That means if you're disconnected from the dispatch center, you must call 911 back. They will not have a way to call you."

Now whether the girls would've known that about the phone is a whole separate question, but at least it was a possibility.

I actually found this out the hardway when I allowed my daughter (3 at the time) to play with an old out of service phone we had. :what:
It works for landlines too. Even if you don't have a line in your home, you can always plug up a phone to an outlet and dial 911.

I think they are dismissing SM because of their age. After 2 incidents they need to check phones and computers just to be safe.

There is a history with these kids being gone longer then needed.

misty was working at gas station. Daniel was at his mothers house in waterloo. 4 days before lyric and another cousin(kaylee)were gone longer than they should have been so police were called then but the girls showed up.

Where is this information coming from? Is it verified by police? If so, where were they and who were they with? Were they coming home with gifts or mentioning ice cream or other things they couldn't afford? This is the best info. I have seen in this case...but...would like to see it verfied some how.

Another thing to wonder: Wouldn't they have firmer rules after this incident about where to go and where to hang out?

I get the feeling they are watched by quite a few different people (including their parents) at different times. I can see why it would be really hard to have the "rules" consistent between houses/families, and even harder to have them consistently enforced. Combine that with the small town "nothing bad ever happens here" atmosphere the locals have described and I can see how it would be easy to think "well it's not THAT big of a deal."

This is not in any way shape or form criticizing the family. I bet in hindsight they are wishing all kinds of things had been done/enforced/discussed differently. :(

You would think that after the first episode they would have had their bike riding closely monitored for awhile. Interesting that this is the first we have heard anything about this previous problem.
bbm
You might also think they would still be grounded from riding their bikes at all for a significant time. Having to call the police because I couldn't find my child (who was supposed to be nearby, but wandered off for hours) would be a significant "infraction" at my house.

Where is this information coming from? Is it verified by police? If so, where were they and who were they with? Were they coming home with gifts or mentioning ice cream or other things they couldn't afford? This is the best info. I have seen in this case...but...would like to see it verfied some how.

It came from parents on JVM

You would think that after the first episode they would have had their bike riding closely monitored for awhile. Interesting that this is the first we have heard anything about this previous problem.

I agree. It also ups the percentage of the possibility they know the person that has them. Their bikes are found at the only spot on the trail that is not completely visible and there is no sign of a struggle. Someone who snatches two girls off their bikes, is not going to take the time to pick them up off the trail and place them neatly to the side. I'm wondering if they met with someone that had a car parked on the side of the highway...parked their bikes were they wouldn't be seen easily, and hoped over the fence. After they got over they heard someone coming and ran, forgetting to grab the bag/phone...

Just an FYI... there are THREE cousins.

Misty, Heather and Tammy all have daughters in the age range...
10, 8 and 11.

The cousin "K" (11) who is being mentioned as riding with the other two and being very close to them... is Tammy's daughter.

Tammy said on AC360 that she taught ALL 3 girls to drop if someone grabbed them. That once you were in their car chance of survival is slim...

I agree cousin K could be helpful. Who did they talk to? Where did they go? Did they visit anyone's house? Anyone creep her out?

There have been cases before where a young girl was taken and murdered...
Then the sister/friend/cousin admitted they had been visiting the neighbor guy and he was the perp.
Trust had been built through visiting the perps house... whether they had a child that age or not.

Is any other searching going on? The edge of town, fields, woods, ravines, ditches, whatever? Or just the lake so far and immediate neighborhood?

Well.....it was on the JVM show and both Daniel and Misty were telling the story. But if le was called, i'm sure there is a record of it.

Not only do they need to check her phone and computer they also need to check any cameras all over that area before the evidence is lost.

Things are not adding up. Lyric goes "missing" a few days before?

At the news conference, the police hesitated for 15 or more seconds before answering "are the parents a suspect".

The dad was at home when they went missing Friday. He has not taken a poly yet.

The police know something!

The previous incident took place in Greenbriar with Lyric and Tammy's daughter K. Where is that in relation to Evansdale? :waitasec:

bbm
You might also think they would still be grounded from riding their bikes at all for a significant time. Having to call the police because I couldn't find my child (who was supposed to be nearby, but wandered off for hours) would be a significant "infraction" at my house.

She may have said she was at so-and-so's house and a warning was issued. If anything, the major thing would be making sure she has a cell phone at all times. Kids have no concept of linear time. But, kids also forget cell phones as well. Plus, she may have been grounded for a time...but...eventually to keep from going insane (the adult) one must let children out to play.

Things are not adding up. Lyric goes "missing" a few days before?

At the news conference, the police hesitated for 15 or more seconds before answering "are the parents a suspect".

The dad was at home when they went missing Friday. He has not taken a poly yet.

The police know something!

Agree, the cousin may know more about their "adventures" and contacts better than anyone as another poster mentioned...

question for a local:

How difficult would it be for someone to carry these bikes to that location without being observed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken