IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm wayyyyyyyyyy behind. So this was probably already posted. But I just saw it, so....you get it again if it has been. :)

561130_10151059763318287_911961933_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/NancyGraceHLN

I don't think it had been and it's a GREAT pic, thank you! I've been hoping for one of the girls together just to get an idea of what someone might see out and about. Not that I live anywhere near there but I've started really caring and worrying about these two girls. I so hope they are ok!

I really don't think they were wearing bicycle helmets.

In the first place, based on my observations living and traveling in the midwest, the majority of people don't wear helmets. This is especially true for kids riding around by themselves in the neighborhood. On my street in a Minneapolis suburb I maybe see one out of 20 kids wear one.

Also, I've never seen it noted in the description of them, and since where and if the helmets were found would be an important clue I think we would have heard abotu it by now if they were.

This is so long ago my question probably doesn't matter, but would that cause her to have jail time again? Here in California anyway she MIGHT get 14 days with an ankle bracelet, but I'm starting to see it might be a bit different other places.

I think she was convicted of manufacture of meth/precursers...she would be looking at years in prison...sounds like she served some time, got out on parole and violated her probation by failing a court ordered drug test.

This is so long ago my question probably doesn't matter, but would that cause her to have jail time again? Here in California anyway she MIGHT get 14 days with an ankle bracelet, but I'm starting to see it might be a bit different other places.

Violation of probation/parole usually means you end up serving your original sentence (probation) or the remainder of your original sentence (parole) of course "jail time" is always an estimate...u get service credit, good behavior credit, overcrowding issues, more lenient judges...so eventhough that's what its designed to do...doesn't mean it actually happens. While one person can get a year for a violation...another can get an ankle bracelet (like you mentioned) or six months (out in three), etc...

Looks like the parents have been advised by attorney not to speak/take any further poly tests. What does this mean?:waitasec:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...cle_8e1533ec-d128-11e1-af57-0019bb2963f4.html

I could have sworn that yesterday I read that the family WASN'T going to hire an attorney.

Where is this attorney from? Just randomly advising, or did they HIRE an attorney?

SO much double speak.

Here is from today: http://www.wistv.com/story/19066697/family-of-missing-iowa-cousins-consults-attorney

“The girls rode their bikes right by our house,” Carpenter said. “We see them practically all the time ride their bikes right past our house, but they come down and turn around in the street.” - Robert Carpenter

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...tigators-bring-dogs-search-missing-Iowa-girls

This just bugs me, tbh. Apparently he lives in the 1000 block of Lake Ave, which would be within a block of the police station. Standing in his street, looking north you'd see the police station, looking south you'd see the woods by the pump house. One block east of there would be the trail, which goes all the way north up to Lafayette (couple blocks from Collins' home), and south one block, the trail turns and heads to where the bikes were found. The next block over (opposite the direction of the trail) would be Evans, the main N-S road thru town, again with the PD on it. What is considered the "main" entrance to the lake, where the playground, docks, parking area is, would be just a couple blocks to the west.

So for the girls to be consistently and repeatedly riding up and down this street, turning around on this block, is just odd. You are a block from the trail in two different directions, and a few blocks from the park. Those locations seem to be natural bike-riding, traveling, stopping, turning-around points. To get to this block from the Collins' home, most efficiently, would require biking down one of the busiest roads in town (with sidewalks, btw), then to cross thru one of the busiest intersections, right in front of the PD, only to turn around within the next block. If you came that far, seems you'd just continue to the trail. I suppose if you were coming from the trail, you might turn before you had to cross Gilbert (busy-ish), but why would anyone, riding the trail, choose to get off, ride a block, turn, ride a block, then turn around, all when staying on the trail keeps you off the road, leads around the lake, etc. I know kids can't be assumed to do what's logical, but living right here, that just doesn't make sense to me. Unless, perhaps, they know someone on that block.

But again, from what we've heard from family, getting this far away - repeatedly and consistently - wasn't happening.

I guess I'm saying, for kids riding to/from the lake, the Lake Ave is like the least likely route to take, or even to turn off onto, much less do it all the time and turn around there.

I have lived in several states and helmets are not required on a bike for kids. I make my kids wear them, if I can catch them going out the door...but...most kids in the areas I live do not wear them or even own them. This reminds of those things that circulate the internet about if you grew up in the 1960's, 1970's or 1980's...you never wore a helmet, stayed out all day, climbed trees, were booted out of the house until dinner time, etc...amazing we survived...LOL. :D

Ha.. you forgot "drank water out of a hose." :) Sorry I know NONE of this is funny but I know what you mean. It's the same here, even though it's a law most kids ditch the helmets in their first few minutes out the door.

I finally found a page that explains the laws, hopefully this one's OK to post: http://www.helmets.org/mandator.htm

Respectfully, I don't think the family hired an attorney. I think it was just some attorney giving the parents a suggestion.

If you have nothing to hide, why should anyone stop talking or taking poly's?

If anyone finds out who the attorney is from a MSM source, please post, I'm really curious

ETA: The best (IMVHO) criminal attorney we have locally is Linda Hall, she's great at what she does. If they have her, they are in good hands

thx Grainne- thought I missed something:) on dogs

You know I am still a little confused as to why the Aunt, grandma & nephew went rushing down to the lake from the get go :waitasec:
I mean the river is literally less than 1000 ft from the Collins residence...

Evansdale is not that big. There aren't a whole lot of places to go.

I'm not sure why they didn't go to the river first. I think you'd have to ask them.

Maybe one of the locals could make some educated guesses?

“The girls rode their bikes right by our house,” Carpenter said. “We see them practically all the time ride their bikes right past our house, but they come down and turn around in the street.” - Robert Carpenter

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...tigators-bring-dogs-search-missing-Iowa-girls

This just bugs me, tbh. Apparently he lives in the 1000 block of Lake Ave, which would be within a block of the police station. Standing in his street, looking north you'd see the police station, looking south you'd see the woods by the pump house. One block east of there would be the trail, which goes all the way north up to Lafayette (couple blocks from Collins' home), and south one block, the trail turns and heads to where the bikes were found. The next block over (opposite the direction of the trail) would be Evans, the main N-S road thru town, again with the PD on it. What is considered the "main" entrance to the lake, where the playground, docks, parking area is, would be just a couple blocks to the west.

So for the girls to be consistently and repeatedly riding up and down this street, turning around on this block, is just odd. You are a block from the trail in two different directions, and a few blocks from the park. Those locations seem to be natural bike-riding, traveling, stopping, turning-around points. To get to this block from the Collins' home, most efficiently, would require biking down one of the busiest roads in town (with sidewalks, btw), then to cross thru one of the busiest intersections, right in front of the PD, only to turn around within the next block. If you came that far, seems you'd just continue to the trail. I suppose if you were coming from the trail, you might turn before you had to cross Gilbert (busy-ish), but why would anyone, riding the trail, choose to get off, ride a block, turn, ride a block, then turn around, all when staying on the trail keeps you off the road, leads around the lake, etc. I know kids can't be assumed to do what's logical, but living right here, that just doesn't make sense to me. Unless, perhaps, they know someone on that block.

But again, from what we've heard from family, getting this far away - repeatedly and consistently - wasn't happening.

I guess I'm saying, for kids riding to/from the lake, the Lake Ave is like the least likely route to take, or even to turn off onto, much less do it all the time and turn around there.

Thanks again for your great insight. I think a few of us (if not more) thought his sighting seemed a bit odd..especially considering his window for watering his lawn was three hours.

Do any locals here know if anyone else has ever drowned in this lake? If so, how long did it take to find them ?

the attempted abduction of the 10 yr old walking with her 2yr old brother...the guy turned himself in. It was just on HLN.

Do any locals here know if anyone else has ever drowned in this lake? If so, how long did it take to find them ?

I don't think i've heard of people drowning in that lake, but there has been dead bodies located at the mitchell ave. sand pits in waterloo, which LE checked for the girls

I could have sworn that yesterday I read that the family WASN'T going to hire an attorney.

Where is this attorney from? Just randomly advising, or did they HIRE an attorney?

SO much double speak.

This is why I asked the "What does this mean?" question. The article doesn't state they HIRED an attorney, just that an attorney has advised them not to speak with the media, nor take any further poly tests.

What I find odd...is that the family (that I know of) hasn't been in the media yesterday or today. Coincidence?

They were doing tons of interviews immediately following (and I'm sure are ready to be done and focus on the girls). I'm hoping they aren't doing any recent interviews because they don't have any credible updates, not because they were advised. I don't know if I could ever be able to keep my mouth shut if I were in their shoes. :notgood:

I *think* the parents that are taking advice from an attorney maybe already had attorneys from their past records.

So the attorney may not be new or just retained..

Just throwing that out there for consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member