TX TX - Deanna Merryfield, 13, Killeen, 22 July 1990 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it was said that Deanna's bio dad was found and had indicated that there had been no contact between them. However does Deanna have her bio dad's last name or is it possible (if she does not have his last name) that she was able to get his last name and then she used that name to hide herself. Or have LE looked into her using the last name of someone else in the family or of a close friend perhaps?

The only reason why I ask is that this would give some new names to research, which may lead to a clue to her whereabouts or what happened to her.

M ~

Respectfully snipped from Jules post. I will try to answer as many as I can

1. Could you try to go back to the first 24 -48 hours after Deanna went missing:

2. When your grandmother went into Deanna's room, why did she automatically go to the police?

3. Did she contact Deanna's friends first? Other family (other than your mother)?

4. Did she think Deanna had run away, or did she assume the worst?

5. Had Deanna run away before? If so, had she been threatened punishment if she ran away again? My line of thinking is that in those first 24-48 hours, maybe she just stayed out too late, but once she heard that your grandmother was looking for her, she knew she was in trouble, panicked, and hid out at someones house? If so, where would she go? Skippers house? Tinas house? Maybe they already knew the situation with Roy?
I'm not sure that our Grandma automatically went to police. As far as I know she did ask friends etc. and waited for a day or two for her to show up. When our Mom didn't file a m.p. report our Grandma did. I'm pretty sure our Grandma just thought she had run away.
As far as I know the only other time Deanna had run away was when her and Bekki snuck out of our house and went to our Grandma and aunt Kathy to tell them of the abuse. She used to sneak out at night but never ran away, as far as I know.

6. Maybe at that time, someone (a friend, a relative of a friend?) told Deanna that she needed to get away from Killeen, where she could be safe from Roy and have a more normal life? If so, whose family was she closest to? Whose family would have wanted her away from Killeen?

7. In another direction, I know this is very personal, but was Deanna the only one accusing Roy? He had already been sentenced though, right? I know he had a son---would he have had contact with Deanna? Could he have done something to her?

8. We know what Deanna did that night, but what did she do that day, during the day? How about the day before?

9. Obviously, since Deanna was not old enough to drive, she was getting a ride from someone else, someone old enough to drive. Who would Deanna have hung out with that was older? Amy's friends? Has Amy ever asked anyone?

10. What "exactly" was said to Amy and Bekki when the operator gave them the collect call; was it "you have a collect call from Deanna?" Did they hear ANYTHING on the line? Are you certain it was a payphone that the call was made from, and how do you know this?
I'm not sure who Deanna was closest with, other than Grandma. There were the Hauns' but they definitely didn't have the means to get Deanna out of town. They were living very below poverty level, no car etc.

Originally all three of the older girl accused Roy. I believe with Amy there wasn't enough to charge him, and Bekki recanted. Roy's son didn't come into our lives until about 1992-1993. He had previously been living with his Mom but was getting into trouble so she sent him to Roy.

Unfortunately I don't know what Deanna had done the days before she left. We were living in different homes and she was more into hanging out with friends than her little sister.

She did sometimes hang out with Amy and her friends. Amy was away in VA. when Deanna left. When she came back she asked her friends about it but nobody knew anything.

The collect call was basically :
Operator: You have a collect call from
"Deanna": Deanna
Operator:Will you accept the charges?
Bekki: Yes
And then the line went dead.

In the late 90's Amy had a friend who was a p.i. he investigated the phone call and traced it back to a pay phone.

11. Would Deanna have known your moms birthday? I notice they are the same month. When your mom died, did you have a funeral? Did alot of people come? Is there any chance she could have been there and you just did not realize?

12. If the tattoos really exist, one of them was a cross. Was your family religious? If not, who in Deanna's circle of friends did go to a church or was religious? A cross would indicate that she had gained some kind of religion. I know it may be difficult to weed through tattoo artists, but she has three very distinct tattoos. Someone has to remember doing those tattoos for her. Who of her (older) friends had tattoos?

13. Has DNA been entered into CODEX yet for Deanna?

14. Lastly, as far as the official investigation into Deanna's disappearance, I think you need to go higher than Sgt D. Because of the fact that there is supposed contact from KY, which is across state lines, couldn't FBI get involved as a possible kidnapping? Or at the very least, Texas State Police? You need someone with the resources to find answers. I frankly cannot believe that it is been 2 yrs of an "active" investigation, and they have not even interviewed the people she was with that night, nor one of her closest friends, Skipper. I realize that he is in prison several hours away. A phone call could be made to him, or some other form of communication. Police ALWAYS start at the source. Why hasn't that been done? (Hell, give me a phone number and I will call him!) Missie, you deserve answers, and it seems that you are not getting any. Do you have any family/friends who are lawyers? If so, ask them what your rights are. I believe there are a whole bunch of freedom of information rights that you are allowed in seeing the police files for the investigation that has been done so far. The only reason I can see them not allowing you access is if it is an active homicide investigation, and he has not indicated to you that it is, so he has to let you see the files. I am frustrated for you Missie because I know you have waited so long for answers, and I feel Sgt D truly does not understand your pain. It has been 19 yrs. Next year it will be 20 yrs. 20 yrs too long. You deserve answers.
Not sure if Deanna knew our Moms birthday. She had a memorial service. There were not many people there. My sisters and I waited at the entrance and spoke with everyone who came.

Our family was not religious at all. Us girl would go to Sunday school when we were younger but then Bekki and Deanna asked to be baptized. Our Mom wouldn't allow it and we stopped going shortly after that.

We have Deanna's mitochondrial dna in the databanks.

Have looked at more myspace pages than I would care to count or categorize. Have been slowly working through the marriage list with no noted birth records and have eliminated a couple of more. Have been looking at what was happening in the area during the time period and generally looking around for any kind of footprint on the internet.
Thanks for answering our questions MissieMt.

Just wondering if Deanna may be using a different date of birth, like July 22nd or 23rd of 1977. Found some "Deanna M's" with various last names with the birthdays of July 22nd/23rd of 1977. Have looked at some but came up with nothing.

The only exact match for Deanna's birthday and given name is the lady in Florida who I believe can be traced back to Rock Round, Texas. Believe this lady has already been eliminated as a possible match to Deanna though.

That is the thinking for this day .... maybe one of these days I will look at a MySpace and go Holy **** that sure looks like Deanna - wonder what makes people think that "pimping my profile on MySpace" makes their MySpace more attractive - some of the pimping makes my eyes go crazy.

EOR: or End of Rant

Thank you all for all of your hard work!
I wouldn't be surprised if Deanna was using a diff. birth date.

Hi Missy,
Can you give a list of names of the people involved - esp. grandma, mom, and uncle who had Bekki?

Thanks!

Edith Merryfield is "grandma"
Laurel Merryfield is Mom
James Merryfield is our Uncle.

Been looking at more possible myspace and facebook accounts based on different birthdays and name variations - still coming up empty. Eyes are still crossed from looking at the pimped myspace pages.

No it is not The Woof. He shares our Stepdads last name.

How are you doing Missie? You hanging in there? Haven't posted much, but am still working/thinking behind the scenes...

Do you know a Mary Merryfield? Are you related to many of the Merryfields in TX? Would your grandmother know them?

Ele: Who is the Florida Deanna that can be traced back to Round Rock? I do not know if we eliminated her or not, we have looked at so many! I am kind of doing the same searches as you are--there is no way to know if she is using a diff birth date or her own. I am still so curious about the 1995 sighting in Hurst, where her name and birthdate were used. It is frustrating because there is just so little info to go on, but then I think about how the more frustrating it is for Missie and her sisters who have not seen their own sister in almost 20 yrs. I want this to be the year we find her for Missie, we just have to put our heads together and come up with some ideas. I really, really wish there was some way to talk to Skipper Smith and her other friends--there has got to be something we are missing. Missie, any new contact from Sgt D?

Just wondering if Deanna may be using a different date of birth, like July 22nd or 23rd of 1977. Found some "Deanna M's" with various last names with the birthdays of July 22nd/23rd of 1977. Have looked at some but came up with nothing.

The only exact match for Deanna's birthday and given name is the lady in Florida who I believe can be traced back to Rock Round, Texas. Believe this lady has already been eliminated as a possible match to Deanna though.

That is the thinking for this day .... maybe one of these days I will look at a MySpace and go Holy **** that sure looks like Deanna - wonder what makes people think that "pimping my profile on MySpace" makes their MySpace more attractive - some of the pimping makes my eyes go crazy.

EOR: or End of Rant

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been on much-got a bunch on my plate right now but it's slowly getting better.

I think that I am missing something....did the police take a picture of Deanna's tats or just a written description of them? If there was pictures taken is there anyway that the family can get a copy and then post them on the missing sites? I know that this was discussed awhile back however have been out of the loop for the past week and my brain is not working well atm. ;-)

~ M

Ele: Who is the Florida Deanna that can be traced back to Round Rock? I do not know if we eliminated her or not, we have looked at so many! I am kind of doing the same searches as you are--there is no way to know if she is using a diff birth date or her own. I am still so curious about the 1995 sighting in Hurst, where her name and birthdate were used. It is frustrating because there is just so little info to go on, but then I think about how the more frustrating it is for Missie and her sisters who have not seen their own sister in almost 20 yrs. I want this to be the year we find her for Missie, we just have to put our heads together and come up with some ideas. I really, really wish there was some way to talk to Skipper Smith and her other friends--there has got to be something we are missing. Missie, any new contact from Sgt D?

Has this person that was traced back to Round Rock been ruled out? If needed I could go check out the RR Library and see if they have the year books, which I am almost sure that they would have, and see if I can find this Deanna. Also I am pretty sure that there was only at the most 2 high schools in Round Rock back in the mid 90's. The growth did not really hit until 98 or right around there.

~ M

I'm not sure which Deanna ele is talking about, or I might be able to tell you why she was eliminated.
As far as I know they only had a written description of the tattoos.

You can get copies of 'incident' reports from the Hurst,Tx police Department M-F 7am-6pm(central time)...(817)788-7146. Their website shows that you can order them online and view them as PDF files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304