Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that town was wiped out-
Prayers for everyone that lost someone and for all the people who lost everything they owned-

My heart hurts for these poor people who have lost so much. I hope that through donations and other ways we can help them rebuild their town. If we can help do that then perhaps we can help them to heal from this tragedy, too. This reminds me of the Jarrell tornado on May 27th, 1997. I was there doing a search, and it was very challenging to be there. Gosh, these poor people. They are in my thoughts and in my prayers.
--I remember that Jarrell tornado--happened on my birthday--The Jarrell Tornado was a rare F-5,250 mph winds---One whole family ran to another safer bigger house than their own--They were all killed anyway--a real tragedy--tornado cellars are your only defense--no one has ever been killed in a tornado cellar

--I remember that Jarrell tornado--happened on my birthday--The Jarrell Tornado was a rare F-5,250 mph winds---One whole family ran to another safer bigger house than their own--They were all killed anyway--a real tragedy--tornado cellars are your only defense--no one has ever been killed in a tornado cellar

I was thinking that was the 318mph twister, but that may have been another.

Thoughts and prayers to all affected by the tornado.

The tornado in Jarrell was a massive incredibly powerful monster, but I don't think its winds were measured at its strongest. The Massive F-5 near Oklahoma City in April of 1999 was the one that had the 318 MPH winds clocked, I think.

In Jarrell, I had my search dog Shep, and there were 12 of us sent to a subdivision the first afternoon/evening before it got dark. We had a map, and one of the searchers had a radio. He called base camp and told them that they must have sent us to the wrong area, because it seemed we were mistakenly sent to some huge farmer's field. There was nothing, not anything but fresh looking dirt. The man responded back to us that we were in the subdivision. We all looked at each other in disbelief. There were in fact home foundations cover over by a layer of dirt from the tornado. We were in the subdivision, but there was nothing there. There wasn't even any debris. The monster took it all. I never heard of anything like that before.

For two more days I searched, and we did find things. Some parts we couldn't tell if they were animal or human. It was challenging to deal with what I felt and thought on those days. I had to reward and play with my dog every time he made a find, and I had to fake it to the max. I will never forget the images, and the heartbroken, anxious family members looking for their loved ones. They were talking about the thousand yard stare on Fox the other day. Back in Jarrell people really did look that way. It was one of the most painful things to see.

That same storm moved south to Cedar Park where I went on the fourth day to search the Albertson's to make sure no one was still within or under the debris. We were pretty sure everyone was out. There was one severely injured young employee who never made it into the meat locker in time. He had a severe brain injury, but he recovered enough to go back to work at a different store eventually. Anyway, we spent a few minutes waiting in the parking lot while we were deciding who would take what area. The Fire Department was in charge, and they started joking that they needed to send us into the soap isle to get washed up. It was hot, and we were filthy. Then someone said they should send Shep and me into the meat isle and make sure I picked out a big steak for Shep. It was the first time I laughed for days.

My heart breaks for these dear people, and I wish there was more that I could do. Right now I can only pray, but I would rather pray and take action, too. I hope that people continue to come together and help each other. If we all together in this country we could rebuild their town. It is feasible, and I know it would help them to heal. They need to grieve and then to heal. They are in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Lion

The tornado in Jarrell was a massive incredibly powerful monster, but I don't think its winds were measured at its strongest. The Massive F-5 near Oklahoma City in April of 1999 was the one that had the 318 MPH winds clocked, I think.

In Jarrell, I had my search dog Shep, and there were 12 of us sent to a subdivision the first afternoon/evening before it got dark. We had a map, and one of the searchers had a radio. He called base camp and told them that they must have sent us to the wrong area, because it seemed we were mistakenly sent to some huge farmer's field. There was nothing, not anything but fresh looking dirt. The man responded back to us that we were in the subdivision. We all looked at each other in disbelief. There were in fact home foundations cover over by a layer of dirt from the tornado. We were in the subdivision, but there was nothing there. There wasn't even any debris. The monster took it all. I never heard of anything like that before.

For two more days I searched, and we did find things. Some parts we couldn't tell if they were animal or human. It was challenging to deal with what I felt and thought on those days. I had to reward and play with my dog every time he made a find, and I had to fake it to the max. I will never forget the images, and the heartbroken, anxious family members looking for their loved ones. They were talking about the thousand yard stare on Fox the other day. Back in Jarrell people really did look that way. It was one of the most painful things to see.

That same storm moved south to Cedar Park where I went on the fourth day to search the Albertson's to make sure no one was still within or under the debris. We were pretty sure everyone was out. There was one severely injured young employee who never made it into the meat locker in time. He had a severe brain injury, but he recovered enough to go back to work at a different store eventually. Anyway, we spent a few minutes waiting in the parking lot while we were deciding who would take what area. The Fire Department was in charge, and they started joking that they needed to send us into the soap isle to get washed up. It was hot, and we were filthy. Then someone said they should send Shep and me into the meat isle and make sure I picked out a big steak for Shep. It was the first time I laughed for days.

My heart breaks for these dear people, and I wish there was more that I could do. Right now I can only pray, but I would rather pray and take action, too. I hope that people continue to come together and help each other. If we all together in this country we could rebuild their town. It is feasible, and I know it would help them to heal. They need to grieve and then to heal. They are in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Lion

I think you're right, thanks. That was a bad year for twisters.

You described F5 damage perfectly. It's like a vacuum cleaner or a broom went over the houses and leaves only the foundations. Very sad story indeed.

I was thinking that was the 318mph twister, but that may have been another.
--That one was the great 1999 May 3 Oklahoma City Tornado that killed 47people and injured hundreds--The strongest winds ever recorded on Earth

At the end of every year the storm chasers put together a video collection of all the twisters they catch and sell them. All the money goes to towns and victims of these storms. I will post a link to it when they start selling them, if anyone is interested in it.

At the end of every year the storm chasers put together a video collection of all the twisters they catch and sell them. All the money goes to towns and victims of these storms. I will post a link to it when they start selling them, if anyone is interested in it.

I watched several of their videos on YouTube, that was some frightening stuff!!!! What a massive tornado!

To help residents rebuild their town, the "Greensburg Future Fund" of the South Central Kansas Community Foundation has been set up. 100% of donations will go to Greensburg projects.

South Central Kansas Community Foundation
P.O. Box 8624
Pratt, Kansas, 67124

Thank you for posting this information, DK.

Lion

PUBLIC SEVERE WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0440 AM CDT THU JUN 07 2007

...HIGH RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED OVER PARTS OF THE
UPPER MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY AND THE WESTERN GREAT LAKES LATER
TODAY AND TONIGHT...

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE
DEVELOPMENT OF STRONG TORNADOES ALONG WITH WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS
AND LARGE HAIL OVER PARTS OF THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY AND
THE GREAT LAKES LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT.

THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE

EASTERN IOWA
NORTHERN ILLINOIS
UPPER PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN
EASTERN MINNESOTA
WISCONSIN

SURROUNDING THE HIGH RISK AREA...THERE IS A MODERATE RISK OF SEVERE
THUNDERSTORMS FROM PARTS OF THE UPPER AND MIDDLE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
VALLEY INTO THE CENTRAL GREAT LAKES.

AN UNSEASONABLY STRONG WEATHER SYSTEM CONTINUES TO EJECT OUT OF THE
ROCKIES AND ACROSS THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL PLAINS TODAY...WITH
ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LIFTING ACROSS NORTHERN
MINNESOTA. IN RESPONSE...VERY STRONG LOW LEVEL AND UPPER LEVEL
WINDS WILL OVERSPREAD A LARGE PART OF THE MIDDLE U.S. AND SUPPORT
EXTREMELY STRONG WIND SHEAR FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR. THIS WILL SET
THE STAGE FOR A POSSIBLE OUTBREAK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS
...INCLUDING TORNADOES...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT. STRONG AND
DAMAGING TORNADOES ALONG WITH WIDESPREAD WIND DAMAGE ARE EXPECTED IN
THIS REGION.

AS HEATING AND SURFACE MOISTURE INCREASE THROUGH THE MORNING AND
EARLY AFTERNOON...THE ATMOSPHERE WILL BECOME MORE SUPPORTIVE OF
THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING OVER PORTIONS OF CENTRAL MINNESOTA. SEVERE
THUNDERSTORMS WILL BECOME MORE WIDESPREAD AND INTENSIFY QUICKLY
THROUGH THE DAY ACROSS MUCH OF THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI RIVER
VALLEY...WITH DEVELOPMENT OCCURRING SOUTH-SOUTHWESTWARD ALONG A
SURFACE COLD FRONT ACROSS EASTERN IOWA AND POSSIBLY NORTHEASTERN
MISSOURI BY LATE IN THE DAY. EXTREME SHEAR WILL SUPPORT SUPERCELLS
AND FAST MOVING LINES OF THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS THIS REGION...WITH
POTENTIAL FOR AN OUTBREAK OF TORNADOES AND DAMAGING WINDS AS STORMS
RACE EAST-NORTHEASTWARD THROUGH THE EVENING INTO THE GREAT LAKES.
LARGE HAIL WILL ALSO BE COMMON WITH THESE STORMS.

THIS IS POTENTIALLY A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. THOSE IN THE
THREATENED AREA ARE URGED TO REVIEW SEVERE WEATHER SAFETY RULES AND
TO LISTEN TO RADIO...TELEVISION...AND NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR
POSSIBLE WATCHES...WARNINGS...AND STATEMENTS LATER TODAY.

..EVANS.. 06/07/2007

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/pwo.html

day1otlk_1300.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Does this effect the area where you live?
If so, stay indoors.

Everyone from that area,
Stay Safe!

Gulp!:eek: Better bring the potted plants in and make sure the flashlight has batteries. Thanks for the heads up.

Dear DK, will it rain today in southwest central florida? (tampa area?) If so, what time???

Im in Wisconsin. Schools and several other events were cancelled for the afternoon and evening. Never in my life have I seen them cancel due to summer storms! I mean this Is Wisconsin!!! We are used to some pretty nasty stuff!
Right now its windy and we are under a tornado watch. Tied as much down as we could and brought plants in. Ill keep you guys posted if anything exciting happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288