Deceased/Not Found Canada - Lyle, 78, & Marie McCann, 77, Alberta, 5 July 2010 #1 *T. Vader guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few bits of info from an article, I have not seen discussed.

If "someone" was close enough to the Motorhome to pull the registration out (and FIND it), prior to it being destroyed, they were there very quickly. Whoever set the fire must have been very close by at that time, so surely somebody must have seen the Hyundai leaving???

Two days later, on July 5, a driver saw smoke rising above the trees near the Minnow Lake campground southeast of Edson, Alta. When fire crews arrived, they found a motorhome engulfed in flames.

Someone pulled the registration out of the motorhome before it was destroyed by fire and the documents showed that the McCanns were the owners. Police said earlier this week there was no indication the couple stayed at the Millow Lake campground.

But a campground manager said Wednesday the RV found burned nearby had been parked inside the campground hours before it was discovered ablaze.

http://www.globalregina.com/Missing+elderly+couple+vehicle+have+been+spotted/3282482/story.html

RCMP are reluctant to put a description of the two out, or to broadcast their name, he said, because the pair will know they are "that couple," who spoke with police.
"We're hoping [they] will contact us wherever they may be."

RCMP are asking the couple in question to contact Constable Jon Cruz at the Serious Crimes Unit in Prince George at 1-250-561-3300, or directly at 1-250-561-3365.

Read more: http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/spor...d+Abbotsford/3278320/story.html#ixzz0tr8i0Fzg

ETA: If LE knows the couples name, they must know family/friends/co-workers for the couple??????? Can't they contact them to find the couple???​

It is too bad they didn't get a look at who was driving, or who was in the passenger seat.

What are people's thoughts on how many people are involved in this if there is a crime? I tend to think there was more than 1 person. They would have had to contend with both Lyle and Marie. So as for the sighting in PG, I believe it very well could have been whoever burned the RV and did God knows what to Lyle and Marie.

What are people's thoughts on how many people are involved in this if there is a crime? I tend to think there was more than 1 person. They would have had to contend with both Lyle and Marie. So as for the sighting in PG, I believe it very well could have been whoever burned the RV and did God knows what to Lyle and Marie.

I think at least two perps are involved. If the perps are driving the car around, not changing plates, after having harmed them, I think they will be younger.

I totally agree that the perps would be very young and did something for a thrill like steal a huge vehicle and take the other car. They would need the keys from the McCann's and I wonder if someone who was at the gas station did this? Where else would they have stopped with such a gigantic vehicle? The family feels they would not have stopped at that campground because of the bad road with potholes (makes sense). But why drive so slowly? The bank accounts weren't touched either, from what I've read so far.

Question: this mystery couple that LE wants to speak to...are they another couple from the Bjorklund daughter and father?

I totally agree that the perps would be very young and did something for a thrill like steal a huge vehicle and take the other car. They would need the keys from the McCann's and I wonder if someone who was at the gas station did this? Where else would they have stopped with such a gigantic vehicle? The family feels they would not have stopped at that campground because of the bad road with potholes (makes sense). But why drive so slowly? The bank accounts weren't touched either, from what I've read so far.

Question: this mystery couple that LE wants to speak to...are they another couple from the Bjorklund daughter and father?

bbm

An off/on ramp, a fast food place, a rest stop or a truck stop/ travel centre.

bbm

An off/on ramp, a fast food place, a rest stop or a truck stop/ travel centre.

I agree, but on any main highway, these places all full of people and transport trucks, etc. I don't know.....

The burning of the RV could be a seperate crime (and perp) than the Hyundai being missing.

For example, while it totally goes against the families description of the McCann's and their habits, Mr. and/or Mrs. McCann could have gone off in the Hyundai, leaving the RV behind.

Perps could have had a joyride with the RV, and then disposed of it by burning it, or accidentally started in on fire after dumping it.

While it may be a stretch, it might be useful to think in terms of 2 seperate things going on here.

People who set the fire might know more, but of course, don't want to be implicated in missing persons case.

Total speculation on my behalf, just trying to think outside the box.

Isn't the normal procedure when staying at a campground like Minnow Lake to check in at the office upon arrival? Did anyone actually sign in the RV and reserve whichever parking space it initially occupied?

If Lyle was a former truck driver, he must have known the capabilities and limitations of a vehicle as big as the RV, and it's unlikely he would have tried to drive it up that steep "firebreak" (as seen in the photo, a break in the trees to stop a forest fire from spreading too far.) I wonder if somebody with no experience driving big vehicles intended to sneak the RV out of the park via the firebreak but got it stranded near the base of the firebreak, panicked, and then unhooked and stole the SUV instead.

In the photo of Lyle and his fish, there's a canopy on the side of the RV. I wonder if it was extended at the time of the fire, which would suggest someone had parked it on the firebreak and was actually staying there when the fire happened, or folded up against the vehicle, suggesting the RV was moving or someone was preparing to move it. I cannot see any evidence of the aluminum pole supports in the photo of the burned RV.

I read that the RV was parked at Site #8 at one point. Does anyone know if there is a photo of the park that would show the site locations, and also, where in relation to Site #8 was the RV found burning? Why were the campground representatives trying to get a hold of the RV owners anyway, was something inappropriate done, or did they not pay to get into the campground?

Why would thieves go and either register at Site #8 or just drive into Site #8? That doesn't make sense to me, if the RV was stolen. So many witnesses around, that just does not compute for me.

This post here, shows that Minnow Lake Campground was trashed, and that a PAYBOX system is in use. I think this means, it is on the "honour system" to pay in the box, as in, nobody is manning the gate. Does anyone know if this is the case?

minnow lake campground trashed from January 2009

so i was at minnow lake on sunday and i noticed someone decided to destroy
the campground. the pay box is smashed, the wood bin is smashed and they
even drove a truck into the out house several times. why would someone do
this??? i enjoy that campground every summer and plan on going this summer. before we know it the lake access could be closed for the winter or the province could close the camp site.

and

As far as I could tell, we were the ONLY ones who put the money in the cash box, The rest just helped themselves to the firewood and campsites.
In Nordegg they use to have piles of fire wood, now they come around and sell it to you. Discussed this with the caretaker, he said that people even smash the toilet paper dispensers to steal the bum wad. In the sixty's you could leave your camp and come back the next week, sure wouldn't try that now.

minnow lake campground trashed - Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

“It appears the SUV was seen leaving Prince George along Highway 16 heading to Vanderhoof, B.C., going up the Cluculz Lake hill,” said Constable Gary Godwin of the Prince George RCMP detachment. He added that police are still looking for a couple who reported a third sighting on July 13 but have since become unreachable.

Bret McCann, Mr. and Mrs. McCann’s son, told the National Post the latest reports of sightings have given his family hope that his parents will be found.

“The tips have helped,” he said from his home in St. Albert. “Of course, we’re all devastated here, but we’re trying to focus on finding them.”

He said his parents, married for 58 years, are in good health and would have never picked up hitch-hikers.

Police say provincial fire investigators are combing the burned-out shell of the motorhome, now parked in a Hinton storage yard, searching for clues as to how the fire started, while the forensic unit is examining the burn scene. An RCMP-led, 150-square-kilometre ground search around the site is ongoing, while people who were at the campground at the time are being re-interviewed.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/story.html?id=3283883&s=Home

Now the LE is saying no sightings have been verified, and the SUV might be burned? Huh??

Speaking on a radio show (The Rutherford Show, CHQR/CHED), Webb says police are checking reported sightings of the SUV from Victoria to Ontario, but have not been able to confirm any of them.

Webb says it is possible the Hyundai has been abandoned or even burned and says people in rural areas should call police if they see anything suspicious.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ca...e-check-tips-from-bc-to-ontario-98610389.html

That's sad the way the park is treated, but unfortunately all too common. But at an honor system camping area like that, nobody would blink twice at somebody pulling into a camping spot. That's just what you do. Odds are that even if somebody saw the camper, they wouldn't really have noticed anything going on, unless the people who were there didn't look like campers or were being really rowdy or were otherwise doing something out of line.

I presume the caretaker knocked on the door because he noticed they hadn't paid and was going to collect. That would be normal procedure.

This post here, shows that Minnow Lake Campground was trashed, and that a PAYBOX system is in use. I think this means, it is on the "honour system" to pay in the box, as in, nobody is manning the gate. Does anyone know if this is the case?

minnow lake campground trashed from January 2009

so i was at minnow lake on sunday and i noticed someone decided to destroy
the campground. the pay box is smashed, the wood bin is smashed and they
even drove a truck into the out house several times. why would someone do
this??? i enjoy that campground every summer and plan on going this summer. before we know it the lake access could be closed for the winter or the province could close the camp site.

and

As far as I could tell, we were the ONLY ones who put the money in the cash box, The rest just helped themselves to the firewood and campsites.
In Nordegg they use to have piles of fire wood, now they come around and sell it to you. Discussed this with the caretaker, he said that people even smash the toilet paper dispensers to steal the bum wad. In the sixty's you could leave your camp and come back the next week, sure wouldn't try that now.

minnow lake campground trashed - Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

I have seen it stated several times on FB that this site doesn't have staff 24-7. The website for the campground says it only has 20 camping spots, so it is a very small campground, and because it is off the beaten path, there would be a good chance it isn't full or even close to full every night. I think whoever is involved in this knows that area and knows that area well.

The burning of the RV could be a seperate crime (and perp) than the Hyundai being missing.

For example, while it totally goes against the families description of the McCann's and their habits, Mr. and/or Mrs. McCann could have gone off in the Hyundai, leaving the RV behind.

Perps could have had a joyride with the RV, and then disposed of it by burning it, or accidentally started in on fire after dumping it.

While it may be a stretch, it might be useful to think in terms of 2 seperate things going on here.

People who set the fire might know more, but of course, don't want to be implicated in missing persons case.

Total speculation on my behalf, just trying to think outside the box.

I'm starting to agree with you here -- thinking that they went off and the RV was stolen while they were gone.

To tell the truth, I have a mental picture of them having stopped at a mountie station to report their RV being stolen, so that one division knows where they are and the other divisions are searching for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks