Here's Your MetroCard Kid

justche

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www2.nysun.com/article/73976

Anyway, for weeks my boy had been begging for me to please leave him somewhere, anywhere, and let him try to figure out how to get home on his own. So on that sunny Sunday I gave him a subway map, a MetroCard, a $20 bill, and several quarters, just in case he had to make a call.
No, I did not give him a cell phone. Didn't want to lose it. And no, I didn't trail him, like a mommy private eye. I trusted him to figure out that he should take the Lexington Avenue subway down, and the 34th Street crosstown bus home. If he couldn't do that, I trusted him to ask a stranger. And then I even trusted that stranger not to think, "Gee, I was about to catch my train home, but now I think I'll abduct this adorable child instead."
Long story short: My son got home, ecstatic with independence.

I couldn't do it -

Call me over protective but I could not do it either.

She was sort of cavalier in her writing. I don't like that.

Glad the kid got home safe. He's probably bubbling with excitement.

LOL, my daughter was going off to college and I rode the train with her at least six times to make sure she was safe and knew what to do. A nine year old? I don't think so . . . .

luck was on her side. i am glad. had she been unlucky we would read about this in the crimes forum with the idiot that left her 15 year old alone on vacation with the nice 21 year old they just met.

i heard judge joe brown say something the other day. " we should genetically engineer a predator with large teeth that eats stupid people!" this lady could be a main course.

eta: notice she did not trust him to be responsible with a cell phone but hey kid good luck with something as valuable as your own life!

luck was on her side. i am glad. had she been unlucky we would read about this in the crimes forum with the idiot that left her 15 year old alone on vacation with the nice 21 year old they just met.

i heard judge joe brown say something the other day. " we should genetically engineer a predator with large teeth that eats stupid people!" this lady could be a main course.

eta: notice she did not trust him to be responsible with a cell phone but hey kid good luck with something as valuable as your own life!

No kidding! We wouldn't want something as valuable as your *advertiser censored**ing cellphone to go missing!!!!

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

What a moron.

Anyone allowing their children to go to public schools today has to question themselves. it's not safe out there, let alone a metro ride.

Um, anyone else notice that the article was written on April 1st?

APRIL FOOLS WEBSLEUTHS!

Um, anyone else notice that the article was written on April 1st?

APRIL FOOLS WEBSLEUTHS!
after reading the letter written to her and her response i do not think this is a joke.
Long story longer, and analyzed, to boot: Half the people I've told this episode to now want to turn me in for child abuse. As if keeping kids under lock and key and helmet and cell phone and nanny and surveillance is the right way to rear kids. It's not. It's debilitating — for us and for them.
And yet —
"How would you have felt if he didn't come home?" a New Jersey mom of four, Vicki Garfinkle, asked.
Guess what, Ms. Garfinkle: I'd have been devastated. But would that just prove that no mom should ever let her child ride the subway alone?
No. It would just be one more awful but extremely rare example of random violence, the kind that hyper parents cite as proof that every day in every way our children are more and more vulnerable.
more on page 2 and 3 of the link. sounds as if she is actually defending the fact she is a idiot.

That is the first thing I noticed when I read the quoted part. Didn't give him a cell phone because she didn't want to lose it. It's okay for the kid to disappear apparently though. What a moron, sorry but geez.

after reading the letter written to her and her response i do not think this is a joke.
more on page 2 and 3 of the link. sounds as if she is actually defending the fact she is a idiot.

All those letters are dated from April 1st still.

I still think it's a joke. There's subtle clues in there that it is...like her valuing the cellphone more than her child, that NYC is no more dangerous than it was in 1963, that her child wants the next trip to be to Queens.

The whole thing is so ridiculous is has to be an April Fools joke.

All those letters are dated from April 1st still.

I still think it's a joke. There's subtle clues in there that it is...like her valuing the cellphone more than her child, that NYC is no more dangerous than it was in 1963, that her child wants the next trip to be to Queens.

The whole thing is so ridiculous is has to be an April Fools joke.
really? i do not find it that ridiculous. i guess i spend too much time in the crime forums. i get to read every day about parents as stupid as this. they only get to make the news when their idiotic actions cause harm to their child. the only thing i see different with her article and the response of parents like the idiots i referred to is her child is still ok for now.

really? i do not find it that ridiculous. i guess i spend too much time in the crime forums. i get to read every day about parents as stupid as this. they only get to make the news when their idiotic actions cause harm to their child. the only thing i see different with her article and the response of parents like the idiots i referred to is her child is still ok for now.

Until I hear otherwise, it's an April Fool's joke. No need to get so worked up over it.

Why, because I don't believe everything I read on the internet? Especially when the article is dated April 1st? :crazy:
no because you fail to realize a fundamental truth of life.

i am right. :blowkiss:

"Men, we are handicapped when it comes to arguments, 'cos we have a need to make sense."

Chris Rock

LOL, okay Sherri...you win this round.

I emailed Lenore and she got back to me and said it wasn't a joke.

I got burnt another internet April Fool's joke so excuse me if I'm a little hesitant to believe something posted on that day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back