Widow auctions off husband's burial plot above Marilyn Monroe

Indianagirl

Reaction score
An American widow is auctioning off the burial plot above Marilyn Monroe’s in an effort to pay off her mortgage.

Elsie Poncher’s late husband Richard currently resides in the crypt above the star in Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetary, Los Angeles.

But Mrs Poncher is prepared to move her husband’s remains – if the price is right.
‘Spend an eternity above Marilyn,’ says the ad placed on eBay, which has seen bids climb past $4.5million, after opening at $500,000.

Mr Poncher, a businessman who died 23 years ago aged 81, is placed face down above the actress, in keeping with his dying wish.
He bought two tombs from baseball player Joe DiMaggio, Monroe's ex-husband, as the pair were divorcing in 1954.

Mrs Poncher is hoping the sale of the plot will raise enough money to pay off her $1.6m mortgage.

‘I can’t be more honest than that,’ she said

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ions-husbands-burial-plot-Marilyn-Monroe.html

Update:
eBay Winner Of Marilyn Monroe's Crypt Cancels Bid

Some like it hot, and some just get caught up in the heat of the moment: A Japan resident who bid more than $4.6 million in an eBay auction, for a crypt directly above that of screen legend Marilyn Monroe's, backed out on the purchase after winning the auction.

The seller, Elsie Poncher, told the LA Times she auctioned off the coveted spot at Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery to raise funds to put toward the $1.6 million mortgage on her Beverly Hills home.

After winning the auction with a $4,602,100 offer, the bidder said in an e-mail to Poncher's rep, Steve Miller: "I am awfully sorry, but I need to cancel this because of the paying problem."

Miller told the paper he contacted the 11 other bidders who were willing to bid at least $4.5 million for the crypt, giving them an additional 24 hours to resubmit an offer.

Poncher said that her husband Richard, who died in 1986, originally purchased the crypt from Monroe's ex-husband, Yankee great Joe DiMaggio. Poncher said that when she dies, she will be cremated and her husbands remains will be placed in a crypt that was reserved for her.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/08/crypt-neighboring-marilyn-monroes-sells-46-million

An American widow is auctioning off the burial plot above Marilyn Monroe’s in an effort to pay off her mortgage.

Elsie Poncher’s late husband Richard currently resides in the crypt above the star in Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetary, Los Angeles.

But Mrs Poncher is prepared to move her husband’s remains – if the price is right.
‘Spend an eternity above Marilyn,’ says the ad placed on eBay, which has seen bids climb past $4.5million, after opening at $500,000.

Mr Poncher, a businessman who died 23 years ago aged 81, is placed face down above the actress, in keeping with his dying wish.
He bought two tombs from baseball player Joe DiMaggio, Monroe's ex-husband, as the pair were divorcing in 1954.

Mrs Poncher is hoping the sale of the plot will raise enough money to pay off her $1.6m mortgage.

‘I can’t be more honest than that,’ she said

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ions-husbands-burial-plot-Marilyn-Monroe.html

Update:
eBay Winner Of Marilyn Monroe's Crypt Cancels Bid

Some like it hot, and some just get caught up in the heat of the moment: A Japan resident who bid more than $4.6 million in an eBay auction, for a crypt directly above that of screen legend Marilyn Monroe's, backed out on the purchase after winning the auction.

The seller, Elsie Poncher, told the LA Times she auctioned off the coveted spot at Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery to raise funds to put toward the $1.6 million mortgage on her Beverly Hills home.

After winning the auction with a $4,602,100 offer, the bidder said in an e-mail to Poncher's rep, Steve Miller: "I am awfully sorry, but I need to cancel this because of the paying problem."

Miller told the paper he contacted the 11 other bidders who were willing to bid at least $4.5 million for the crypt, giving them an additional 24 hours to resubmit an offer.

Poncher said that her husband Richard, who died in 1986, originally purchased the crypt from Monroe's ex-husband, Yankee great Joe DiMaggio. Poncher said that when she dies, she will be cremated and her husbands remains will be placed in a crypt that was reserved for her.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/08/crypt-neighboring-marilyn-monroes-sells-46-million

It's interesting that a few days before this article appeared, Playboy founder, Hugh Hefner, made a comment to the press that he was going to be buried right next to Miss Monroe. He said they were going to put him in the ground right next to her. If I recall his quote was: "I came in with Marilyn Monroe and I"m going out with her." In reference that she was the initial cover gal for his Playmate magazine.
However, I knew his claim wasn't true since she is not entombed in the ground but in one of the crypts (sp?)
Thanks for posting this story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back