Possible Murder Motives#2

I wonder could she have torn his shirt during the struggle, therefore exposing his bare chest......

Another scenario I have thought about is that there may be been a situation in the past where she did have consensual sex with him like maybe at a workplace event where there may have been alcohol involved and they may have hooked up. RC is certainly not an unattractive guy and if her judgement could have been impaired I think it is plausible....maybe the next day she is freaking out thinking "What have I done? This was a huge mistake!" and decides to act like nothing happened and go out of her way to be very professional with him and hope he does the same. All the while, maybe he wanted something more with her and this built up with him and her strictly professional behavior was a sign of rejection or maybe the meeting was just a chance for him to try and profess his feelings for her and it obviously went terribly wrong.

Either way, I don't believe this was a pre-meditated thing at all. I think something went terribly wrong..

My heart goes out to both of the families involved.

I'm still inclined to believe the "unrequited love" motive, regardless of what Yale or the NHPD say.

I agree...just because he may never have disclosed to anyone else his crush on her, doesn't mean that it didn't exist. It is very likely that he would have feared disclosing to ANYONE about his crush on her because his fiancee worked there also.

He may have tried to sexually assault her but she fought him so much and he feared a rape charge, so he killed her before any real DNA type of sex activity could occur. I don't believe that he had sex with her after she was dead. I think once she was dead, his first concern was ....what do I do now, and how do I hide the body and evidence.

I wonder could she have torn his shirt during the struggle, therefore exposing his bare chest......

I do think this is possible...another reason why he might have needed to hide his clothes. I do think that it's hard for a human to scratch thru a shirt AND get DNA under one's nails thru a shirt...so, I do think his skin was exposed. He may have "some" cat scratches, but some/most/all are from her.

Another scenario I have thought about is that there may be been a situation in the past where she did have consensual sex with him like maybe at a workplace event where there may have been alcohol involved and they may have hooked up. RC is certainly not an unattractive guy and if her judgement could have been impaired I think it is plausible....maybe the next day she is freaking out thinking "What have I done? This was a huge mistake!" and decides to act like nothing happened and go out of her way to be very professional with him and hope he does the same. All the while, maybe he wanted something more with her and this built up with him and her strictly professional behavior was a sign of rejection or maybe the meeting was just a chance for him to try and profess his feelings for her and it obviously went terribly wrong.

One of the more explosive workplace situations I've witnessed didn't involve any kind of physical intimacy, even kissing, but a lot of sexual teasing and constant (like a dozen or more a day) racy emails between two of my coworkers. Both were married. When the woman's husband's best friend was hired to work in the same department, she abruptly started pretending like she barely knew the guy she'd been flirting with. Even though he had never been an angry, explosive type before then, her "work boyfriend" completely freaked out, to the point that he had to quit his job or else he knew his conduct would eventually lead to his being fired. Being around her all the time with her pretending that nothing had happened, that they barely knew each other, was more than he could take and stay normal.

A person with less self control and presence of mind than my former coworker might well snap under the same conditions.

The two were not like co-workers working in the same department, having to spend a lot of time together. Most likely their contact was minimal. Anne's lab was in a different building, and the animal technician would be spending all of his time in the basement. So they were not around each other all the time, far from it.
The two would have minimal contact and only when she would come in to pick her mice.

The laws in Connecticut may be different from where I live in Georgia, but around here, if a fire alarm has gone off and anyone is caught staying in the building, the employer gets fined. We've been told in no uncertain terms by our CIO that we're in major trouble if we don't leave the building when we're supposed to. While we're all outside, a crew of people headed by corporate security goes from floor to floor to make sure no one is still in the building.

The more I hear about this lab facility and how you could be murdered in a basement room with nobody hearing a thing, the more grateful I am for the ungodly aggressive security where I work.

I agree with you--I worked in pharmaceutical labs in California and Washington State, and if there was an unplanned fire alarm, we were required to exit the building immediately and go to our pre-planned stations and roll call was taken. One time a female employee went back to her office to grab her purse, and a big deal (company wide email) was made that we were to leave the building IMMEDIATELY--NOT to return to offices to collect belongings. There were several employees on the safety committee who were in charge of going through the labs, restrooms and break areas to make sure they were empty. You did not have a choice to stay. However, if there was a planned drill, it was possible to request to stay in the lab, but it had to be approved by your supervisor and safety coordinator. This sounds like an unplanned fire alarm, so my guess is that EVERYONE would have been required to exit the building.

Maybe alarm was a coincidence that had nothing to do with this. It might be going off frequently, because of all the equipment in the labs, that might trigger it.

had scratches and scrapes-with enough force you can leave serious scrapes through a shirt, also in a struggle a shirt lifts up or there are v-necks etc and also he had scratches on his arm, eye and ear etc -I really doubt he had his shirt off

This is definitely true--in the car today, my husband had to slam on the brakes, and our dog flew forward from the back seat and hit my arm really hard . When I pulled up my sleeve (because it hurt pretty badly), I had two scratches/bruises on my skin that were weeping/bleeding in a few spots. So it is definitely possible to scratch the skin through clothing!!!

This is definitely true--in the car today, my husband had to slam on the brakes, and our dog flew forward from the back seat and hit my arm really hard . When I pulled up my sleeve (because it hurt pretty badly), I had two scratches/bruises on my skin that were weeping/bleeding in a few spots. So it is definitely possible to scratch the skin through clothing!!!

I've had something like that happen with dogs, too. But their claws are more pointed and dense than a human's fingernails, so I'm not sure the same thing would happen from a human.

I guess I could try it on myself, but it would hurt! :chicken:

Maybe alarm was a coincidence that had nothing to do with this. It might be going off frequently, because of all the equipment in the labs, that might trigger it.

It's possible--in my workplace we did have the fire alarm go off for silly things--like someone using the toaster oven and burning their food, or over microwaving a bag of microwave popcorn. However, the fire department would always arrive for unplanned alarms, and this cost the company thousands and thousands of dollars, so eventually they decided to throw out the toaster and tell people to watch the microwave closely if they were making popcorn. Only one time do I recall the alarm going off for a real lab problem--a chemical reaction had gotten out of control and started burning.

I've had something like that happen with dogs, too. But their claws are more pointed and dense than a human's fingernails, so I'm not sure the same thing would happen from a human.

LOL, I see what you're saying but agree with you not wanting trying it out on yourself!!!

It's possible--in my workplace we did have the fire alarm go off for silly things--like someone using the toaster oven and burning their food, or over microwaving a bag of microwave popcorn. However, the fire department would always arrive for unplanned alarms, and this cost the company thousands and thousands of dollars, so eventually they decided to throw out the toaster and tell people to watch the microwave closely if they were making popcorn. Only one time do I recall the alarm going off for a real lab problem--a chemical reaction had gotten out of control and started burning.

Last week the alarm went off for no apparent reason at my job. It's gone off for no apparent reason before. People concentrate on alarm but it could have been a freaky coincidence.

I still am inclined to think there is something sexual about this crime. He had scratches on his neck, chest, back, etc. It sounds like he had his shirt off when this happened. Did he have this secret crush on Annie and felt like he must act upon it before the wedding or she would never know how he felt about her. I think he made sexual advances toward her, they got into a struggle and maybe her nose started to bleed on his shirt, he pulled off the shirt and continued his advances and she started clawing at him. He was afraid someone was going to hear them and he was so angry at this point that he lost self control.
I haven't figured out how he got stratched in areas his shirt should've covered, but the problems I have with an attempted sexual assault are 1) how wouldn't he know someone else could walk in and catch him and 2) how could he take a chance she'd scream and be heard? I'm thinking he'd want to get the crime over with and her body hidden as quickly as possible. MOO

Did Annie have an engagement ring? Could the diamond have scratched him if she'd turned the ring so the stone was inward? That would be a lot sharper than any fingernails! :) MOO

I thought about this too. A busy Tuesday morning and no one heard/saw anything while a violent murder took place?

However, I did run across this article:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/17/earlyshow/main5317185.shtml

A student who worked in the same lab as Annie and Raymond is quoted:
The med student observed to Pinkston that it is "so secluded down there, soundproof, and nobody is ever looking for you, nobody questions when you go into a room for several hours and don't come out."

The "perfect place," Pinkston noted, for a murder.
But still there's a chance someone could walk into any of the rooms, at any time, imo.

But still there's a chance someone could walk into any of the rooms, at any time, imo.

Well, there is a chance someone could walk in on any crime. There are people committing crimes in broad daylight, in front of witnesses. You can't base anything on that.

I agree...but it makes me think that the actual room where the murder took place must have been a room that Clark was very confident no one would come in. From recent reports, it sounds like there are rooms within the lab (maybe a supply room that only he tends to go in or something like that).

Also, the other researchers probably kept regular hours, so he may have been confident that none of those doctoral students would likely come by. And, if this was premeditated, he may have known the others' schedules which would have furthered his confidence that no one would enter.

Also, is it possible to lock any of the door in some of those "inner rooms" from the inside...to prevent others from entering? If one of the rooms was a supply room or even his own "office" or "work room", it's possible that he would be able to lock those rooms when inside.

I agree...but it makes me think that the actual room where the murder took place must have been a room that Clark was very confident no one would come in. From recent reports, it sounds like there are rooms within the lab (maybe a supply room that only he tends to go in or something like that).

Also, the other researchers probably kept regular hours, so he may have been confident that none of those doctoral students would likely come by. And, if this was premeditated, he may have known the others' schedules which would have furthered his confidence that no one would enter.

Also, is it possible to lock any of the door in some of those "inner rooms" from the inside...to prevent others from entering? If one of the rooms was a supply room or even his own "office" or "work room", it's possible that he would be able to lock those rooms when inside.

I was wondering about this earlier, JL50ish. Have they said exactly what kind of room the crime was supposed to have taken place in? Was it a lab with a bunch of mice cages around? Was it a room she normally went to, that she'd have a reason to visit? If it was a supply room or something like that, what was she doing there?

Researchers are only supposed to go into their own mouse rooms. Traffic is contained to prevent disease outbreaks. From the news reports of his movements being tracked by swipe card, it sounds like every room in that facility might have been key card entry only. Those cards can be programmed to permit access to only your room, no others. If that's the case there, it would cut down on the chance of discovery, especially if there were very few people with mice in that room.

Did Annie have an engagement ring? Could the diamond have scratched him if she'd turned the ring so the stone was inward? That would be a lot sharper than any fingernails! :) MOO

I'm wondering if maybe she wore her engagement ring infrequently, especially in the lab because of having to wear gloves during experiments. Maybe one of our "experts" can speak to this. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back