Identified! UT - Juab Co., Child's skull found at lake, Nov'96 - Rene Romero

romero_rene.jpg

Missing Since: November 28, 1994 from Reno, Nevada
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: November 29, 1989
Height and Weight: 3'0, 45 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic male. Brown hair, brown eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Rene was last seen at his family's residence in Reno, Nevada on November 28, 1994. He has never been heard from again.

Rene's mother, Ana Isabel Romero, and her boyfriend, Alvaro Mejia Ortiz (sometimes spelled "Mejia-Ortiz"), were charged with child abuse and Rene's murder in 1998. They blamed each other for Rene's death. Each said the other killed Rene and they worked together to dispose of the child's remains. Ana pleaded guilty to her son's murder. Ortiz pleaded not guilty but was convicted and sentenced to life in prison without parole. He could have gotten the death penalty.

Investigators say Ortiz and Ana abused Rene and his two younger brothers and Rene died from it. The couple moved to Los Angeles, California immediately after Rene's presumed death and it wasn't until they were investigated for the reported abuse of Ana's other children that police realized Rene was missing. Rene's brother, who was three years old in 1994, testified that Ortiz gave Rene some juice and the child collapsed and died shortly afterward.

Police believe Rene's body was dumped in a remote area, possibly outside the state of Nevada. His remains have never been found.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Reno Police Department

702-334-2121

If he was found in 1996, how can they estimate death as being 1987-88? What I mean is, how would they narrow it to that small time frame vs 1985...or 1990 or example?

IDENTIFIED

http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved.html

Rene Alberto Romero
Rene, 4, disappeared from Reno, Nevada on November 28, 1994. He wasn't reported missing for some time, however, because his mother and her boyfriend, Ana Isabel Romero and Alvaro Mejia Ortiz, moved immediately afterward and tried to conceal his disappearance. In 1998, his mother and her boyfriend were both charged with the child's murder. Ana pleaded guilty and testified against Ortiz, who was convicted. They are both in prison. Rene's body was recovered in Utah in 1996, but it wasn't identified until February 2014.

I suggested this match in January 2013, but I have no idea whether it had anything to do with the identification. RIP poor child.

http://charleyross.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/rene-albero-romero-identified/

http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved.html

Rene, 4, disappeared from Reno, Nevada on November 28, 1994. He wasn't reported missing for some time, however, because his mother and her boyfriend, Ana Isabel Romero and Alvaro Mejia Ortiz, moved immediately afterward and tried to conceal his disappearance. In 1998, his mother and her boyfriend were both charged with the child's murder. Ana pleaded guilty and testified against Ortiz, who was convicted. They are both in prison. Rene's body was recovered in Utah in 1996, but it wasn't identified until February 2014.

Source Information:
Utah Missing Persons Clearinghouse

Still looking for additional confirmation

:cheer:

ebonydarkness, you called it!! One more goes home...

You guys are amazing, and I firmly believe that Heaven holds a special place for each and everyone of you, that work so hard on sending these loved ones home. Every time I see IDENTIFIED, I leave the thread crying. God bless you all. :blowkiss:

Not trying to hate, but it kind of surprises me that this UID wasn't identified a lot sooner. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back