Rescued beagles experience grass & sunlight for the 1st time

Does a neighbor, friend or relative have a college age son or daughter who will be home for several weeks over the holidays? Often these kids need a place to be off on their own for a few hours a day and might welcome a quiet house to spend some peaceful time on their computer or watch a movie in peace and quiet.....even just to take a nap on a couch to keep your puppy company. This age of kids love the comforts of "home" for a few weeks, but also miss their independent lifestyle, too. They would probably even be willing to sleep over on the couch for a night or two, if you wanted them to do that. Lots of schools/fraternities/sororities etc. require service hours of students......this would certainly be a good experience and well worth counting as community service! They could even come by and spend time with the puppy for a few days before you leave so that they wouldn't be a stranger to him after you are gone.

jmo

How long will you be gone?

Not very long - 5-7 days. My neices and nephew want me there like, now...but I'll be there no longer than 7 days.

Still waiting to hear from the rescue folks...although, Raeann, I like that idea. I'll have to look around and see what I can come up with. I'm sure, though, that the rescue would prefer to be involved...

As for TS, he has had a rough afternoon. The gardeners came, and I brought Gracie inside. She, being Gracie, wanted to play with him...and stood over him. He growled, I called her off, she didn't listen, and he snapped at her. *Then* she backed off. She is a slow learner sometimes.

He immediately was very apologetic, and had the 'I'm so sorry!' look on his face. I didn't correct him, just put a tone of disapproval in my voice and told him "no". I don't want to correct harshly, although with a snapping dog, I usually do...but he's not in a place where a harsh "no" and removal from the situation would be beneficial (I don't think).

And he hasn't snapped at me, or at the cats. And, he gave Gracie all the time in the world to respect his warning...she didn't. She's NOT hurt, which is good, but I'm very surprised at his snapping.

To be fair, Gracie is the one who "instigated" it. She stood over him, had him "trapped" against the fireplace, and he did tell her to back off. She didn't listen (in fact, her tail was wagging the whole time), and then lifted a paw towards him. I can't be mad at him for defending himself; Gracie is easily 3x his size, and she had him trapped. So I'm not mad...just a bit concerned.

The end of this is, though, that Gracie moved off him, and went and laid down...and nothing else from him at all. As long as she gives him space, they are totally fine...she laid on the rug near him, but not "on" him or the hearth, and he was fine with that. And Gracie didn't snap or growl or do anything other than back off fast when he snapped at her. LOL...she has to learn, I guess...learn her way. She didn't listen to me, didn't listen to him, and got a mad dog in her face for her trouble. LOL.

Still...it's a bit of a concern...not something I'm terribly concerned about, but still...it's a concern. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

Best-
Herding Cats

Not very long - 5-7 days. My neices and nephew want me there like, now...but I'll be there no longer than 7 days.

Still waiting to hear from the rescue folks...although, Raeann, I like that idea. I'll have to look around and see what I can come up with. I'm sure, though, that the rescue would prefer to be involved...

As for TS, he has had a rough afternoon. The gardeners came, and I brought Gracie inside. She, being Gracie, wanted to play with him...and stood over him. He growled, I called her off, she didn't listen, and he snapped at her. *Then* she backed off. She is a slow learner sometimes.

He immediately was very apologetic, and had the 'I'm so sorry!' look on his face. I didn't correct him, just put a tone of disapproval in my voice and told him "no". I don't want to correct harshly, although with a snapping dog, I usually do...but he's not in a place where a harsh "no" and removal from the situation would be beneficial (I don't think).

And he hasn't snapped at me, or at the cats. And, he gave Gracie all the time in the world to respect his warning...she didn't. She's NOT hurt, which is good, but I'm very surprised at his snapping.

To be fair, Gracie is the one who "instigated" it. She stood over him, had him "trapped" against the fireplace, and he did tell her to back off. She didn't listen (in fact, her tail was wagging the whole time), and then lifted a paw towards him. I can't be mad at him for defending himself; Gracie is easily 3x his size, and she had him trapped. So I'm not mad...just a bit concerned.

The end of this is, though, that Gracie moved off him, and went and laid down...and nothing else from him at all. As long as she gives him space, they are totally fine...she laid on the rug near him, but not "on" him or the hearth, and he was fine with that. And Gracie didn't snap or growl or do anything other than back off fast when he snapped at her. LOL...she has to learn, I guess...learn her way. She didn't listen to me, didn't listen to him, and got a mad dog in her face for her trouble. LOL.

Still...it's a bit of a concern...not something I'm terribly concerned about, but still...it's a concern. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

Best-
Herding Cats

I honestly think it'sa good sign. He's showing some confidence. I once rescued a German Shepard he was 10 months old and 120 pounds. I could not control him at all. I couldn't walk him no matter what I did. So I had contacted my local police department as I knew they were looking for a dog to send off for training in Phila at the state police barracks. He had the prey drive they were looking for but would not defend himself when tied to a tree and threatened, he was actually called a sissy!. They turned him down. He's a police officer now in Hanover Pa, he works narcotics as a drug sniffing dog:great:

They told me confident dogs are easier to train, among other things.. So I would assume they have more where with all to learn new things and be more willing to try new things too:) He wasn't fear biting...he was defending himself.

I agree, Linda, it's not fear biting...it's defensive snapping (I don't think he made contact - for a big, big girl in a tight space, Gracie is quite agile on her paws...LOL).

I hadn't looked at it as a good indication - thanks for giving me that story. I find it an interesting development - he defines the hearth as "his" space, and worth protecting, and is willing to take the chance against a much bigger dog to defend it. He hasn't defended it from *me*, and I hope he never does...I make it a point to get into his space regularly, with lovies or rearranging the bedding, or bringing food/water, or whatever, so maybe he won't get defensive with me. I hope so, because that would be a big problem, and one I wouldn't know how to begin to address with this particular pup.

Gracie got food-defensive with me. Once. She learned, fast, that Mama don't play dat; that I growl and bite/smack back. LOL. Only the once, and she had been here only a few days. But I don't want to get 'all doggy' on TS...but we will have to learn boundaries at some point.

Meh. Not too worried, like I said...not too worried.

Best-
Herding Cats

Does anyone else find themselves coming to this thread often hoping for updates?

I can't get this to play. Is this available on iTunes?

I don't know, it still works for me. Maybe someone could upload it to YouTube for you if it's not already there? I would...but I don't know how:waitasec:

I can't get this to play. Is this available on iTunes?

Here's another link to the same video - maybe this will work better for you. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZMxRP_F5w&feature=player_embedded"]Beagle Freedom Project - Second Rescue - June 8, 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Updating...

TS had a hard day today. Something may have happened overnight, but then again, maybe not. All I know is that when I woke and came out, he was sitting in the corner of the heart, not laying down like he's been. I gave a few minutes lovies, and got everyone breakfast. TS refused to eat. No biggie, one meal missed isn't that big of a deal...but he was tense.

Hung out in the same room as he's in most of the morning, just doing normal house things...he never laid down. I finally realized he hadn't peed or pooped since yesterday, so thought that if I took him outside to the front yard and sunshine, and gave a bit of a bladder massage, he'd get the idea and go potty.

Took him outside, and he was again very tense. He did relax a little, and sniffed the grass and the light breeze...but was not comfortable. He still won't walk, so I picked him up, and fed the kitties their lunch. Then I heard this extraordinary noise...turns out, he was peeing while laying down in his bedding. Up went the bedding, and down went new bedding (I'm using fleece blanket throws and towels underneath), cleaned him up a bit, and put him back on the heart. He hasn't laid down on the new bedding since. He looked soooo ashamed, and gave a terrified wag of his tail when I came to get the bedding up...I made sure the wee wee pads were in place, and headed out.

Came home to poop and pee, but also one of the barriers (that are in place for Gracie) had come down with what was likely an almighty crash. And there was both pee and poop on the pads. He doesn't seem to be happy with the 'new' bedding, but he'll get his old blue fleece blankie back in a few minutes; it's in the dryer right now.

Dinner is coming, so hopefully he will eat well and thoroughtly. I am going to dose him with the herbs tonight, too...that does seem to help, and while I haven't used them in two days, I think maybe I need to just give them to him for a few days' running to give him more help in relaxing.

And even though Gracie got snapped at yesterday, she still wants to be his friend. She takes her stuffy and drops it next to him, sits down with him (she's learned to not try to sit *on* him...), and sniffs and licks him. When she is laying on my lap and we're sitting next to him, he will lean waaaay far over and sniff her...as long as she pretends to not notice.

And of course the kitties are doing their best to be friends, too. Malachi, for example, believes it's his job to watch him from the arm of the recliner. Oliver does his best to show him how to eat (well, he's sneaking dog food, but still...). And they both take treats from me right in front of him (along with Gracie), trying to teach him that hand treats are just fine, and in fact a good thing to get.

So that's the update for now. I will update again before we head to bed...bless his beagle heart.

Best-
Herding Cats

I'm so glad he's with you HC. Another thing you might want to try are the Mellow Mutt chicken strips from Dogswell (cage free Chicken Breast Jerky Treats: Chicken Breast, Vitamin E Supplement, Chamomile, Clover, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Linden Flower, Oyster Shell Flour (Source of Calcium Carbonate). My dogs love the regular ones so if I need to calm them for any type of driving trip, etc. it's easy to get them into them. They are not super strong but do calm them down. Good luck :)

He's making progress! Not huge, but still...progress.

This morning, when I let Gracie out of the bedroom (she sleeps in a giant pen...kinda like a crate [but I never found one her size], she walked out to say hi to everyone...and this dear sweet romeo-beagle came off his hearth, and met Gracie a few steps onto the rug (huge for him...). Nose to nose they greeted each other, both tails wagging a bit. He was alert, happy, and interested in seeing her...and that was wonderful. She was like "finally! And top o' da mornin to you, too, my friend!"

And...he stayed there when I came over to give him a morning skritch, too! Off the hearth, only a few steps, but huge for him!

He did poop and pee last night, but I've gotten smart about things, and have laid newspapers down under the wee-wee pads, and like I've said before, there's nothing in this house that can't be cleaned. He is now finished with breakfast, and is napping...next to Gracie's stuffy (which she gave to him this morning...).

I did not dose him last night; by the time I went to bed, he seemed to be calmer and more relaxed, so I figured fine...I'll leave it for now. He's in a good mood/place this morning, so hopefully, he can go another day without the herbs. Reality, thanks for that suggestion...I will give it a shot and see what happens, but he really doesn't have any idea what to do with treats or what he percieves as treats. I'd have to give it in his bowl, and likely at mealtimes...but hey, it's worth a shot. I don't like sticking a dropper in his mouth - he takes it just fine, but it seems to bring back memories...so maybe he'll take something from the bowl. We'll see...

Overall, he's doing better. Just a bit better, by a hair or two every day, even with whatever the upset was yesterday. But still, better. And I have to throw out a huge YAY for my kitties; they are totally fine with him...and like I said, two of them (Oliver and Malachi) are doing their best to 'make friends' with him, and it seems to be working.

YAY TS!

Best-
Herding Cats

I sure hope you don't mind HC, but the last few days of all of us referring to him as TS, has translated into my brain as T.S. Elliot. So now, when I come to check the thread, the thought in my head is T.S. Elliot.

I know you are waiting for his name to appear, but I hope I am not fixated on the Ellliot name by then, lol.

I sure hope you don't mind HC, but the last few days of all of us referring to him as TS, has translated into my brain as T.S. Elliot. So now, when I come to check the thread, the thought in my head is T.S. Elliot.

I know you are waiting for his name to appear, but I hope I am not fixated on the Ellliot name by then, lol.

LOL, I do the same thing...which, in this household of cats, is probably not too bad a thing. LOL.

Yes, I'm still waiting on a name...I refer to him as my shy romeo, TS, Tobias, Sebastian, and, mostly, "sweet, good boy".

Best-
Herding Cats

LOL, I do the same thing...which, in this household of cats, is probably not too bad a thing. LOL.

Yes, I'm still waiting on a name...I refer to him as my shy romeo, TS, Tobias, Sebastian, and, mostly, "sweet, good boy".

Best-
Herding Cats

Herding Cats... his name is Rum Tum, of course! Tugger for short. And he will not be offended, I promise lol. ;)

Ok I think I'm done crying now....such a sad and happy story all at once!

My depreciated 2 cent's worth is Toby. It seems so appropriate for a beagle.

HC, you probably give more thought to naming a pet than a lot of people spend on naming a child. and we all want to help you! LOL

That's hilarious - I did the same thing...! I was going to even make a suggestion that she name him "Eliot" but I wasn't sure how much she liked his writings. :crazy:

Best-
Herding Cats

Our cat's name (well, our former cat... :():

Sake Numi (she was a stray kitten being fed by an elderly lady who passed away, with the initials SK - hence Sake since we wanted to find a way to honor this woman and DH loves sake; and Numi b/c I almost caught pneumonia stalking her for days in the winter until we could catch her, or she was going to starve)

But people told us she looked like a little bear b/c of her coloring.

version 2: Sake Numi Little Bear

DH likes Yogi Bear so he started saying in Yogi's voice, "Hey there, Boo-boo Bear!"

version 3: Boo Boo Bear

version 4 - final version which stuck for years: Boo Boo

We've never had an animal whose name evolved like that before, but Boo Boo suited her so well. Just thought I'd share, since I think it's fine to wait for a name that fits or to change it later. :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back