WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the previous thread there was a minor discussion re: M's corrective surgery..A poster who appears to personally know all about this issue (within the C. family) said:

Opportunity at 12 was disregarded; braces on since then with surgery option now delayed for growth issues

This had to really tick M off..You know how badly you'd want this corrected especially once you hit your teen years..None of us know the reason it was disregarded at 12 but my guess is no explanation would probably be good enough (or satisfy) M..Her resentment may have been building the past 5 yrs which could be the reason (if true) for her disconnect with mom..Especially if it was a $$$ issue at the time & she knew her mom was spending it on things related to her biz & more recently her bf IF it's true WC bought him a new truck.

Since the Cowells own their own biz they have to pay their own insurance premiums (family plans are sky high) so maybe they had none at that time cos they couldn't afford it due to all their $$$ going towards the biz..Or maybe this surgery wasn't covered under their plan..Some believe it's considered cosmetic but I have my doubts about that..Either way it doesn't sound like a simple procedure & if one had to pay the entire bill on their own that's a serious amount of $$$..Or maybe it was blown off cos they were simply too busy to address it which does kinda=don't care..Whatever the reason the opportunity was there at 12 & nothing was done about it..Btw..Isn't this about the age when M had her incident with VDD?..I'm not saying it's related to her state of mind at the time but it's def something I'm thinking about.

I can speak personally about having to get a jaw broken, I too am due for a corrective surgery and it is very expensive and hard to find coverage for it, and it requires getting referals and all sorts of things it takes quite some time. But yes, it is VERY expensive and alot of insurance plans dont cover alot, same with braces, I have heard that most insurance companies do not cover braces.

MACKENZIE COWELL TIMELINE
Confirmed Info Only - No Rumors​

09 February 2010 (Tuesday):

3:01 PM - Mackenzie leaves the Academy of Hair Design where she works, gets in her car, and drives away. She is supposed to only be gone for a fifteen-minute break, according to flyers being posted at businesses in Wenatchee, but she never returns.

3:40 PM - Mackenzie's phone data indicate that her phone is at/near the Riverfront Park boat ramp. While there, the phone receives an incoming text ("hey") and replies with the same message ("hey").

5:42 PM - A cell tower bounces a signal off of MacKenzie's phone. This is the final activity on McKenzie's phone. Location has not been released by investigators.

8:02 PM - Residents report to Rivercom finding a 1997 red Pontiac Grand Prix in Squilchuck area, 2395 Pitcher Canyon Road, parked near a cattle gate, and they tell deputies the car had been there for the previous hour. LE uses the registration info on the car to identify Reid Cowell as the owner, who confirms that his daughter has been out past curfew. One set of foot prints led away from the locked car toward road asphalt. "Somebody got the car there and parked it without anybody knowing about it.” Mackenzie's purse was inside the car, but her cell phone, debit card with $20 on it, and gas card were missing. Initially, Washington State Crime Lab processed the car, but found no indication of anything unusual, and computers at both parents' residences were checked with nothing unusual found. Later, local press says that some evidence has been discovered in the car and sent to the State Crime Lab.

11 February 2010 (Thursday):

FBI Child Abduction Rapid Deployment agents arrive Thursday afternoon to aid in the search for Mackenzie.

12 February 2010 (Friday):

Investigators fax warrants to Facebook, Myspace, and Verizon. A team of 10 detectives search the Pitcher Canyon area and interview and re-interviewing all of Mackenzie's friends and family. Mackenzie's mother and the mother's boyfriend are also being interviewed by the FBI.

13 February 2010 (Saturday):

Mackenzie's body is found near the Columbia River at 156 Crescent Bar Road just inside Douglas County by someone walking along the beach. She was fully clothed and her feet were in the water. The Chelan County Sheriff's spokesman said "It appears she was put there by someone....We've got to find this monster. Anybody who is willing to take a child and commit a crime with that child is a monster." Investigators find evidence of homicide at the scene and inside the vacant home. FBI profilers arrive late Saturday to assist with the investigation.

15 February 2010 (Monday):

A task force made up of local law enforcement and FBI is formed to investigate circumstances surrounding Mackenzie's death. Mackenzie's mother tells NWCN (see video) that she's been instructed by investigators not to discuss the investigation with media.

16 February 2010 (Tuesday):

An autopsy performed by Dr. Gina Fino and witnessed by Dr Steve Clem, Douglas County prosecutor and coroner, and a State Patrol Crime Laboratory’s forensics team confirms that the body is that of Mackenzie Cowell. The autopsy also revealed that her death was a homicide, but the cause of death has not yet been released. Autopsy results will not be released until the person responsible is identified and charged.

Investigators ask that anyone who might have seen someone walking out of Pitcher Canyon on South Methow Street or Squilchuck Highway between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 9, call the tip line. Captain Jones of the task force looking into 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell's death said the person who left Cowell's car in the canyon where it was later found likely walked on one of those two roads afterward.

18 February 2010 (Thursday):

Investigators released video footage of the last known sighting of homicide victim Mackenzie Cowell in a Wenatchee-owned parking lot in the hope that someone saw the teenager or her red 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix.

As law enforcement officials advise women to walk in pairs and be more aware of their surroundings, local gun stores report a spike in sales of tasers, mace, and handguns.

22 February 2010 (Monday):

1:36 AM - Someone at Mackenzie's mother's residence calls 911 to report "harassment/threat."

Police scale back task force and await DNA and fingerprint results from state crime lab. Evidence was collected from the Crescent Bar location and from Mackenzie's car. Wenatchee Police Sgt. Cherie Smith said, "But we still don’t know where she was killed,” Smith said. “So we may have another crime scene at some point.”

25 February 2010 (Thursday):

Memorial service is held for Mackenzie Cowell at Wenatchee Town Toyota Center. 1800 people attend. Mackenzie is remembered as "a bright, energetic girl who endured heartless teasing through much of her adolescence because of an underbite. She persevered, however, eventually becoming prom queen." Mackenzie's mother, maternal grandfather, father, father's fiance, two brothers, and boyfriend attend the memorial. Noticeably absent is Mackenzie's mother's boyfriend. Mackenzie's brother Trevor made the family's first statement to the media: "It's incredible. It meant the world to me because we all loved her. And that's what this all shows is how much everybody loves her."

26 February 2010 (Friday):

Task force states that cell phone data places Mackenzie Cowell’s phone near a Wenatchee boat launch on Feb. 9, the day she disappeared.

01 March 2010 (Monday):

The Cowell Task Force believes that Mackenzie's phone is a key piece of evidence and asks the public to call the tip line if it is found. The phone is a maroon LG EnV2.

03 March 2010 (Wednesday):

A local task force continues to work full-time on the Mackenzie Cowell murder case. Chelan County has four deputies and two administrative assistants assigned to the task force. Douglas County has four detectives, Wenatchee Police has three officers and East Wenatchee police has one officer assigned to the case. The FBI, U.S. Marshal’s Office and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement are assisting the Cowell Task Force.

05 March 2010 (Friday):

Local businesspeople unite and announce the creation of a new reward fund to help find Mackenzie's killer. The group, Wenatchee Valley Citizens Against Crime, has pledged $38000 to be added to the existing $7000 reward fund in the event that someone provides a tip that leads to a conviction of Mackenzie's murderer. “This case broke the camel’s back. For this one, we said, ‘Enough is enough. We want this valley to be a safe place.'"

12 March 2010 (Friday) :

Against the wishes of the Cowell Task Force, the Wenatchee World publishes Mackenzie's cause of death which was on the death certificate. The World withheld the cause of death for two weeks in accordance with the task force's wishes, but today published the information, as they've always published death certificate information related to murders and saw no reason to make an exception in this case.

Though the task force is tight-lipped in response to the World reporter's many questions about the circumstances of Mackenzie's death, several details emerge. Eight lie detector tests have been administered, though the task force refuses to say to whom. Numerous properties have been searched, though the task force will not identify them. Most important, the task force has not yet found the site where Mackenzie was killed.

15 March 2010 (Sunday):

Wenatchee World article about Crimestoppers Reward Fund. The husband and father of Jack Owen Spillman III's victims has donated a substantial amount to the reward fund. Coincidentally, Wendy Cowell's boyfriend JF lived in the same home as JOS when he was arrested. JF's first wife was JOS's sister.

CLICK HERE to see a map of points of interest in the Mackenzie Cowell investigation.

WHO'S WHO IN THE MACKENZIE COWELL MURDER INVESTIGATION:

MC - Mackenzie Nicole Cowell; decedant. 17 years old. Attended Wenatchee High School and Academy of Hair Design. Dancer with the Apple-ettes. Also took dance lessons and worked out at Gold's Gym.
WC - Wendy Cowell. Mackenzie Cowell's mother; real estate agent and home builder; divorced from RC since 2001, now dating JF.
RC - Reid Cowell. Mackenzie Cowell's father; construction industry; divorced from WC since 2001, now dating JF.
JF - Mackenzie's mother's boyfriend; construction industry; rumored to have been living with WC while married to/separated from another woman; was a witness in the trial of infamous murderer Jack Owen Spillman III; was married to JOS's sister at the time of JOS's arrest for the gruesome murders of a mother and daughter.
SF - Mackenzie's father's fiancee. (She is in no way related to JF.)
JV - Mackenzie's 21-year-old boyfriend, though Mackenzie is rumored to have broken up with him recently to date a guy from Tacoma.

This timeline is a work in progress. If you have information to add to it or corrections to note, please PM me with the addition/correction and source link. I don't use Examiner as a source, because, quite frankly, our work is more investigative than the Examiner, and based on the same sources. Corrections may not appear until the next posting of the timeline, which I always try to insert on page 1 of any new thread about Mackenzie. Thanks for the teamwork in making this timeline a primary guide to the MC case!

I wasn't inquiring about jewerly, just about any ring and what hand, if anyone possibly knows? Also was not thinking theft case or motive here at all. I need to figure out how to quote!!!

Hi humwhatsup.
Just wondering if you could tell us what the significance is in whether she had a ring and what hand she wore it on? Have you heard something pertaining to that?

:Welcome-12-june:

My thoughts exactly Liz

Thanks, hum.

Quoting posts:

At the bottom right hand corner of each person's post, there are four icons. The furthest one to the left is the 'quote' icon, a blue rectangular box.

Next one to the right of that, with the little quotation marks, is the 'multi-quote' icon. That is used IF you want to quote several different posts. You simply click it, and it should light up 'orange'. You do that to whichever posts you'd like to respond to (if you want to respond to a couple to several at once) and when you hit 'reply', all those posts should show up.

Hope that helps!

Thanks puf, for your timeline update!

The link that isn't clickable, on 2/26 ... you need to edit and remove your closing "]" after "[URL" to make it clickable. :)

Hi humwhatsup.
Just wondering if you could tell us what the significance is in whether she had a ring and what hand she wore it on? Have you heard something pertaining to that?

:Welcome-12-june:

A few days ago folks were wishing/hoping for more ideas felt they were going in circles and so I registered as I had thoughts of my own that were not touched on in what I have read so far and So many rumors/theorys:
But what I have heard I don't know if should be repeated? First has anyone talked about or heard about any dismemberment?
Thanks Liz if quote works! :banghead:

Rumor: Heard that they were both hand tools and the way they would have been used would have left traces of DNA on the handles, unless gloves were worn or tools thrown into river to remove traces of perps skin cells...one of which has been stated and pic already in threads past is, ( the drywall tool). The other tool being of which one could use blunt force upon someone...a "specific type" of common tool.
I wasn't inquiring about jewerly, just about any ring and what hand, if anyone possibly knows? Also was not thinking theft case or motive here at all. I need to figure out how to quote!!!

I've heard numerous times that the other "common tool" that was speculated to have been used was a hammer...as in "it was said that it looked like a hammer had been used." I was told this several times within 2-6 days after she was found. FWIW.

ETA: Just read Hums post above, along with the speculated "hammer" used, in the same conversations it was said that an arm was barely attached.

Hum, glad you decided to join in! :) A couple posts have touched on 'attempted dismemberment', IIRC.

I can speak personally about having to get a jaw broken, I too am due for a corrective surgery and it is very expensive and hard to find coverage for it, and it requires getting referals and all sorts of things it takes quite some time. But yes, it is VERY expensive and alot of insurance plans dont cover alot, same with braces, I have heard that most insurance companies do not cover braces.

Thanks for the info & good luck with your surgery :)

Thanks puf, for your timeline update!

The link that isn't clickable, on 2/26 ... you need to edit and remove your closing "]" after "[URL" to make it clickable. :)

Thanks! Will fix it now.

As always, everyone is invited to contribute to the timeline. PM me any information that you would like added. Just remember, only confirmed info with linked sources.

FWIW??? Sorry new to this.. the other one I can't figure out is IIRC?
But a Specific type being stressed to me a few times, making sure I understood!

FWIW??? Sorry new to this.. the other one I can't figure out is IIRC?
But a Specific type being stressed to me a few times, making sure I understood!

Like a rubber mallet or a brand name like "Stanley"? For what it's worth, If I remember correctly...

This case may be in trouble if keeping things sealed is the link to solving this crime.. Unfortunatly this town seems to talk alot and seems much "IN THEORY" may have
been leaked....But most all here is rumor/theory/speculation...

Originally posted by Pufnstuf:

WHO'S WHO IN THE MACKENZIE COWELL MURDER INVESTIGATION:

MC - Mackenzie Nicole Cowell; decedant. 17 years old. Attended Wenatchee High School and Academy of Hair Design. Dancer with the Apple-ettes. Also took dance lessons and worked out at Gold's Gym.
WC - Wendy Cowell. Mackenzie Cowell's mother; real estate agent and home builder; divorced from RC since 2001, now dating JF.
RC - Reid Cowell. Mackenzie Cowell's father; construction industry; divorced from WC since 2001, now dating SF.
JF - Mackenzie's mother's boyfriend; construction industry; rumored to have been living with WC while married to/separated from another woman; was a witness in the trial of infamous murderer Jack Owen Spillman III; was married to JOS's sister and lived in the same residence as JOS at the time of JOS's arrest for the gruesome murders of a mother and daughter.
SF - Mackenzie's father's girlfriend.
JV - Mackenzie's 21-year-old boyfriend, though Mackenzie is rumored to have broken up with him recently to date a guy from Tacoma.

BBM

Puf, your timeline is awesome, but I just wanted to clear some things up in regards to the list of characters.

According to a newspaper article, Spillman was living in a rented apartment...JF would've been living with Spillman's sister, who is not JF's first wife, but his second.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...x0tAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QIYFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4725,2635517

Also it should be noted that RC's fiance (SF) is not to be confused someone related to JF, as they have similar initials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie