CANADA Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then, there is this guy that LE are looking for.

Thu Feb 3 2011Police hunt federal fugitive

Offender sought on Canada-wide warrant Brian Bingley is wanted on a Canada wide warrant.
OPP and Niagara Regional police are asking for the public’s help in finding a federal fugitive, who is believed to be befriending and then taking advantage of the elderly.

Brian Bingley, 50, is wanted for breaching parole conditions related to a two-year sentence for robbery, break, enter and commit and failing to comply with conditions. He is wanted on a Canada wide warrant.

Police say he has been approaching elderly residents in Niagara Falls, offering assistance with odd jobs, including shovelling snow. He is wanted on a theft under $5,000 charge for allegedly stealing from an elderly woman he had befriended.
more:http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/481496--police-hunt-federal-fugitive

I notice the very last poster's comment makes reference to the eventuality of Bingley being sent back to Hamilton, so although he has been more recently in the Niagara area, it seems he is familiar with the Hamilton area.

Snow. I hadn't thought of that. Who shoveled snow for Ms. Gleave? Was it PK or did she hire someone else? No doubt they've been thoroughly questioned but I haven't seen it mentioned. I doubt that she could have done it herself with her "bad knees".

I've read all the articles about the different possibilities and while these men are certainly criminal and onerous, they're still of a different cut of cloth than Ms. Gleave's murder, IMO. The doctor is downright creepy and awful but I highly doubt that he'd go to someone's home and slash them. He had his MO down it seems.

I was doing research on another crime yesterday and came across the following article. I had never heard of these murders. It's 12 pages long for those who wish to spend the time reading it. Please note that I am in NO way trying to connect Ms. Gleave's murder to these guys or even their old friends but this is the type of person we're looking for--the type of young men who slashed and stabbed to death 93 year old Irina Roszak in her bed:

http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/44482242.html

These perps are tremendously sick and often use the banner of satanism to commit their crimes. That was what drew me into Ms. Gleave's murder in the first place...the fact that there was a cemetery adjacent to her property.

Please note that the following article is extremely (repeat, extremely) disturbing and graphic:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/partners/chicago_rippers/index.html

The ringleader, Robin Gecht, was a handsome, well-spoken young man. Totally smooth and unflappable when first questioned. You wouldn't pick him out of the crowd as a killer, IMO. And pay special attention to the last paragraph on page 4 and his connection with another well known killer. I found that a chilling fact. I wonder if there are others still out there who worked for Gacy?

A shorter version for those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripper_Crew

The Wiki article adds the fact that Gecht's son has gone on to a life of crime. Something to consider.

I don't know what to make about it either. Could be just a troll? And it also says that AG's father worked in the US??
In Lach's thread, SB questions if perhaps AG and L knew each other. I was thinking that if that was the case, she would have done lots of 'sleuthing' about him. Then I thought that perhaps she could have posted here or on any of all those other forums we read way back! :crazy: I know, I'm just going overboard... or not? Could that be what SB was trying to imply?

Yes, that is one of the things I was implying Hazel ... that IMO Audrey would likely have been interested in LC's disappearance. It would not surprise me that she would have been reading here, and with her background in physics, she might have been muddling even deeper into the maize than we have been able to. (I had quickly gone to make sure that our own WS poster "AG" was in fact still around post Dec 30th, and thankfully, she is).

Back to the "Mama" title/endearment. I never got an answer way back upthread as to whether this is common in Canada. I've raised 14 children and dealt with literally hundreds of teachers and yet have never heard this used. Is it just me or do others find this highly unusual?

I have lived in canada since 1976, also dealt with my 4 kids many teachers and have never heard this term.

Thanks, Canadian4. It just strikes me as tremendously strange. I've had dealings with teachers all over the US, and at all levels of education, with my work as a child advocate and I've never heard of this. I once heard of a male teacher referred to as Captain, which I think it cute. A teacher is a sort of captain but a high school teacher is surely not a mother figure. Not typically. Not if things are done correctly. IMO, teachers should be reinforcing the connections between their students and parents, not confusing it.

I would think that school officials wouldn't like it and that parents would be a bit uncomfortable. As an adoptive mother, it would have really bothered me as I'm always working on attachment issues and my kids would have been tremendously confused by that. I wonder if all students called her Mama or just her science students or just her basketball team.

If anyone reading here is a former student or co-worker, I'd be most interested in some feedback. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's odd.

On another issue, wasn't there at least one document with A. Doveika on it, from the 30's, which had some connection in the US?

ETA:

I just snipped this from one of my earlier posts. I wonder if the person writing that blog is mistaking the US for Canada. Here's what you see on a Google search for Doveika 1930:

"The 1917, 1923 and 1930 keV levels. Several authors [table 1 of ref. .... 1) L.V. Groshev, B.A. Bartholomew, A.M. Demidov, A. Doveika, V.I. Palekhov, .... Work supported in part by the Atomic Energy Control Board of Canada"

I made a comment about this possibly being connected to the Manhattan Project which involved both the US and Canada.

Thanks, Canadian4. It just strikes me as tremendously strange. I've had dealings with teachers all over the US, and at all levels of education, with my work as a child advocate and I've never heard of this. I once heard of a male teacher referred to as Captain, which I think it cute. A teacher is a sort of captain but a high school teacher is surely not a mother figure. Not typically. Not if things are done correctly. IMO, teachers should be reinforcing the connections between their students and parents, not confusing it.

I would think that school officials wouldn't like it and that parents would be a bit uncomfortable. As an adoptive mother, it would have really bothered me as I'm always working on attachment issues and my kids would have been tremendously confused by that. I wonder if all students called her Mama or just her science students or just her basketball team.

If anyone reading here is a former student or co-worker, I'd be most interested in some feedback. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's odd.

On another issue, wasn't there at least one document with A. Doveika on it, from the 30's, which had some connection in the US?

ETA:

I just snipped this from one of my earlier posts. I wonder if the person writing that blog is mistaking the US for Canada. Here's what you see on a Google search for Doveika 1930:

"The 1917, 1923 and 1930 keV levels. Several authors [table 1 of ref. .... 1) L.V. Groshev, B.A. Bartholomew, A.M. Demidov, A. Doveika, V.I. Palekhov, .... Work supported in part by the Atomic Energy Control Board of Canada"

I made a comment about this possibly being connected to the Manhattan Project which involved both the US and Canada.

Regarding the nickname, I don't find it that strange. When I went to high school (in Ontario....many, many years ago....we had a couple of teachers that we would have affectionately called by a nickname (i.e. that we would have used directly to their face). Admittedly, they were few and far between. I just checked with my husband, who actually went to high school in Hamilton (where Audrey taught), and asked him if he had any teachers that they affectionately referred to by nicknames...and he said yes. I asked him if he would find it strange or improbable for teachers to refer to a special physics teacher as 'Mama', and he said no. I will also say that my sons also have had a couple of high school teachers that they also referred to by nicknames in the same way. Respectful, yet endearing. It's always in an accepted, encouraging, loving way.

I would be surprised if it was that much different in other places in Canada or the States. Is this unusual?? Is it just us?

Was Ms. Gleave known to have had an interest in crime? I know she was a library buff. I wonder what subjects and genres interested her. The only case I see that was fairly close to December 2010, other than the LC case, is the disappearance of Jim Dunne and Lily Blondin. I just read through that thread, which ends in October. I found it very disturbing that LE had cautioned family not to talk to the press about the couple's "history". What exactly does that mean?

Was Ms. Gleave known to have had an interest in crime? I know she was a library buff. I wonder what subjects and genres interested her.
<snip>

I doubt that Audrey had any great interest in sleuthing crime in general, but I could certainly see her being keenly interested in Lachlan Cranswick's disappearance. It could be that she read or was a member at any number of sites that discussed his case.

Nicole O'Reilly Tue Feb 8 2011 Gleave killing not connected to any other murders

Special to the SpectatorRelated Stories Police buttoned-up on Gleave killing
Investigators satisfied with Centre of Forensic Sciences work
http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/482625--gleave-killing-not-connected-to-any-other-murders

.The vicious killing of a 73-year-old Ancaster woman at her secluded home is not connected with any other unsolved homicides, say Hamilton police.

Investigators have come to that conclusion after speaking with Ontario Provincial Police homicide detectives.

Gleave&#8217;s body was found with multiple stab wounds in her Indian Trail home on Dec. 30. At the time of the discovery, police said it was the worst homicide they had seen in a decade, and that there had been a sexual component to the homicide.

Since the murder, police have not released information about the crime scene or whether they have any suspects.

.The vicious killing of a 73-year-old Ancaster woman at her secluded home is not connected with any other unsolved homicides, say Hamilton police.
<bbm>

I interpret this statement to mean that Audrey's murder is also not related to any SOLVED homicides, otherwise her case would be solved as well. Therefore we are left to believe that AG's case relates to either unsolved crimes of a category other than homicide (i.e. sexual assaults, attempted murder, etc) OR her case is an isolated incident, totally unrelated to any other crime, solved or unsolved.

Seems there is something in this case that sets it far apart from what investigators are accustomed to seeing. As the "sexual component" aspect is not stated as a sexual assault, I'm pondering either posing or mutilitation, or both. Given that there seems to be some unique aspect to this case, some possibilities that come to my mind are

- an exceptionally unique crime of passion
- possibly first-time perp or perps
- drug-fuelled craze
- cult activity (satanic or otherwise)

ETA: I suppose it could relate to other SOLVED homicides, but without sufficient evidence to tie them together.

dotr--Thank you for posting that PR. That's awfully strange. The events occurred in November and January. Would someone need to procure potassium cyanide from a scientist? It wouldn't be available somewhere on the black market?

It sure seems as if this person was going way out on a limb with security nearby. I'd have to wonder if the person isn't quite mentally ill as someone with a planned use for the chemical could surely come up with another way to get it.

From the link above:

"....police said it was the worst homicide they had seen in a decade..."

For those local, do you know which homicide that this statement references?

I also noticed that one of the commenters states that Ms. Gleave loved photography. I don't think I've seen that before. Was her camera still in the home? What photos had she recently been taking? Did she post her photos on the internet? I remember finding a forum post quite a while back from someone I thought might be her, asking for tech help with photos.

ETA: Here's that link:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699409?tstart=0 (scroll down to Dec. 3rd)

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/483176--it-s-been-six-weeks-audrey-gleave-s-murder-and-neighbours-are-anxious

Interesting comments from neighbours in this article... seems that some of them feel they might have useful information but LE have not done any in depth questioning.

Also a neighbour who exchanged emails with AG says that about a month ago, AG emailed that she was uncomfortable about going outside at night without the dogs. Perhaps something had been happening around her place at night that had frightened her.

And this article confirms that she was found in the garage and the dogs were locked in the house.

Presumably, AG did not take the dogs everywhere with her in her car - it seems as though they were not socialized so I don't think they are the kind of pets that went everywhere with their owner. So, the dogs would be locked in the house if she went out in her vehicle. She wasn't feeling well, according to reports, so maybe she had run to the drug store for some over-the-counter meds or something. Then when she came home, if she did not have a garage door opener, she would have to get out of her vehicle to put the garage door up, pull into the garage, and get out of the car while the door was still up. If anyone was lurking about in her yard, this would give them the opportunity to attack her in the garage without breaking in and without being confronted by the dogs.

There were pics of the car being taken out of the garage, right? So, maybe she was attacked as she was still sitting in her car in her garage, having just arrived home.

Even if she had a garage door opener, there would be a brief time when she had just pulled in when the door would still be up & someone could slip inside.

And the house has already been sold!! That really surprised me. I can't imagine that it would be safe for anyone to live there until this killer is found. I don't care how many times LE insist that this was random. To me, random means that it could happen again as the murder was spontaneous and that Ms. Gleave hadn't been stalked or identified for an attack. Had it been committed in a fit of rage by a person known to Ms. Gleave, then I would feel that the house was safer. The killer could be a boarder at a neighbor's house or a midnight visitor to the cemetery.

Odd that there hasn't been more thorough searching of the neighboring properties or questions about new people living nearby. I wonder if the cemetery grounds were searched?

Greenthumb, I think that your theory about Ms. Gleave driving up to the house is an excellent one. Given that she'd expressed concern about being outside at night without the dogs, leads me to believe that something had recently frightened her. Now that we know she was found in the garage, that narrows things down.

Has anyone ever actually seen where that bench is that has been spoken of? It's not near the garage, is it? I suspect she went there to smoke as well to visit. Being that she had "bad knees", I would doubt that she'd stand to smoke while outside. Even though she liked the dogs with her, there could have been some times that she left them in the house. She might have been accosted while sitting out there and forced into the garage, to keep neighbors from hearing any screams. The attacker might have heard dogs in the house and forced her to reveal where they were. Then, they might have chosen the garage.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/02/09/17208686.html
I wonder if the victim in this was a woman instead of a man, if it would also include ("a sexual component")
I can almost picture a similar scenario in AG's case.
Police said the victim parked his car and was putting his key in the lock of his apartment building door when he was jumped from behind.

"He didn't even see (the suspect)," Const. Wendy Drummond said.

The victim was hit to the head, knocked to the ground and then repeatedly stabbed about the face, arms and head, she said. He managed to escape the attack but he collapsed on the main floor hallway.

The suspect grabbed the man's car keys and fled, but as he drove out of the parking garage, the suspect struck several parked cars and a small tree before losing control and crashing into a big tree, Drummond said.

He then fled on foot through the ravine, police said, but he was captured a short time later.

The victim is expected to recover, Drummond said.

A 17-year-old boy is charged with attempted murder, robbery, aggravated assault, possessing property obtained by crime, dangerous operation of a vehicle and fail to comply with recognizance

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/02/09/17208686.html
I wonder if the victim in this was a woman instead of a man, if it would also include ("a sexual component")

Just some rambling thoughts ..

In the above case, would be interesting to know what LE feels the motive was. The male victim was totally incapacitated, but not murdered (so murder does not appear to be the motive, unless the man appeared dead to the perp). From what we know (other than the vicious attack) the victim was not "mutilitated" sexually or otherwise. The perp could have taken the apartment keys to commit robbery, but took the car keys instead, which suggests to me that the initial motive may have been simple vehicle theft. The unnecessary degree of the assault suggests to me that the attack may have been that the young perp was high on meth.

In Audrey's case, her vehicle (as nice as it was) was not taken, so that seems to rule out car theft as a motive. Although items were taken from her home, from what we know there was not total ransacking that would indicate robbery as a motive. Small items missing could indicate "trophies", or the perp wishing to leave an impression that a serial killer was responsible (although we are told there are no other unsolved crimes that appear to relate to Audrey's case).

The "sexual component" seems to indicate something outside the realm of a typical "sexual assault". Although I wouldn't think that Audrey's age would be attractive to a younger perp, the viciousness of the assault against her would seem to indicate a somewhat younger, more able-bodied perp or perps as opposed to someone her own age. Combine Audrey's age, her brilliant mind, and her background in physics and teaching, i'm thinking it's possible there was a "marriage of the minds" in the mind of the perp only. If more than one perp is involved, I tend to think thrill kill because of the shocking nature of the crime scene that affected investigators so drastically.

Given the viciousness of Audrey's killing, if she was in fact found in the garage, there didn't appear to be any visible blood in the garage or on her vehicle in pics we saw. I doubt that crime scene clean-up of the garage would have been undertaken prior to her vehicle being removed.

All MOO

Given the viciousness of Audrey's killing, if she was in fact found in the garage, there didn't appear to be any visible blood in the garage or on her vehicle in pics we saw. I doubt that crime scene clean-up of the garage would have been undertaken prior to her vehicle being removed.

Good point, SB. However, the car must be involved in some way, otherwise why did LE take it?

Re: the neighbours comments that LE have not followed up on their phone calls offering info, or even questioned them extensively - I hate to think that this is just poor police work. The only other reason I can think of is that LE have a solid idea of who the perp is & are waiting for all the forensic evidence to be in place before placing charges. But if that is it, why would LE make the statement that people should remain vigilant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member