SPOTLIGHT CASE Human Trafficking Awareness Thread

Ghastly: Trafficking in girls
May 7, 2011
Nobody knows exactly how many there are. Nathan Wilson of a Washington rescue operation speculates that 1.6 million teens, including foreign imports, are kept half-captive in U.S. prostitution. Other experts make lower estimates of 100,000 to 300,000. Numerous states are passing laws to break the sex traffic and rehabilitate the girls. Nonprofit groups are creating shelters where victims can flee to safety. The FBI prosecutes pimps under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000.

Nicholas Kristof of The New York Times crusades against female trafficking worldwide. He once bought two girls from a foreign brothel for $150 and $200 to set them free. He and his wife have written a new book, Half the Sky, about oppression of women. Stunningly, Kristof told a college assembly that sex trafficking of girls now is 10 times larger than the slave trade was before the Civil War.
article link

Raising alarm on sex work slavery at Patterson forum

Human trafficking doesn't happen just in other countries.

It's one of the fastest growing criminal activities in the United States. Many of the victims are young people born in this nation, said a committee planning a forum Saturday.

[...]

It's estimated that at least 100,000 minors are trafficked for sex in the United States.

[...]

"Sex trafficking of minors has become a second source of income for gangs," she said. "With drugs, they can only sell them once. But they can sell a girl multiple times."

[...]

"They are put in juvenile hall for three or four days and then return to their pimps after they're released," she said.
Article link
PDF chart

WALK AGAINS CHILD TRAFFICKING DETAILS FOR ALL STATES ON THIS SITE.
I walked in NYC last year. I will walk again.

The WALK against Child Trafficking, I think I will do either a T-shirt or a sign this time, that I am walking for Shaniya Davis.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...j9H8FNmjleInP5Yy0RWkybCUnM2mG9Ai2a7BBRz8Ydg==

When I realized that there is no walk in NYC this year I called in for clarification.
Sadly there was no sponsor for it this year :( that is only a sign of how much of a taboo this topic is :(
The Anywhere walk is designed for that reason. so if your state does not have a walk you can
put together a small walk and fund raiser yourself. but I was told there will be a fund raiser for NY
in the near future. So when I get that e-mail I will advise you all.

Songline that is the first I have heard of that horrible crime, glad you are out there on that little girl's behalf, even as her murderer is asks for freedom.

Man accused of rape, murder of Shaniya Davis, 5, asks for release from prison
May 17th, 2011 6:40 pm ET.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Man accused of rape, murder of Shaniya Davis, 5, asks for release from prison - National Crime | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-na...-5-asks-for-release-from-prison#ixzz1Mf9qjNnA

Songline that is the first I have heard of that horrible crime, glad you are out there on that little girl's behalf, even as her murderer is asks for freedom.

Man accused of rape, murder of Shaniya Davis, 5, asks for release from prison
May 17th, 2011 6:40 pm ET.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Man accused of rape, murder of Shaniya Davis, 5, asks for release from prison - National Crime | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-na...-5-asks-for-release-from-prison#ixzz1Mf9qjNnA

Thanks for the link... OMG he should rot in prison.
We do have a link for SD.
NC-Shaniya Davis, 5, Allegedly sold by mother 11/10/09 #28 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

AS I reported earlier, the walk in NY to raise consciousness and funds had no sponsor.
Therefore, what we are doing is a wine tasting evening.

If you live in NYC, all the information is on this post,
otherwise click on the BOLD LINK AT THE BOTTOM and go to your state.

Greetings Friend,
Please join Stop Child Trafficking Now (SCTNow) and Bacchus Wine Store for our first SCTNow NYC wine tasting fundraiser!

Enjoy an assortment of 20 flavorful wines, while networking and mingling amongst NYC’s young philanthropists, professionals, and socialites!

Bacchus Wine Store will host the tasting and their events are a great opportunity to experience a fine selection of wines in a fun and casual, party-like atmosphere, all the while supporting a great cause! Light education and appetizers will be provided while sipping on a diversified offering of wine.

Each guest will leave the event with an impressive Riedel Crystal wine glass, a gift from On Location Tours (Sex and the City, Soprano, and Gossip Girl tour bus company), and more!

Feel free to invite a companion or group of friends. This is the perfect event to engage with other like-minded supporters, bring awareness to SCTNow and its efforts, and enjoy a fun night out!

Space is limited! So make your reservations early by following this link: http://events.sctnow.org/site/TR?fr_id=1132&pg=entry
Date: June 15th, 2011
Time: 7:00pm
Donation: $65 (100% is tax deductible)
2056 Broadway
New York, NY 10023
(212) 875-1200

http://sctnow.org/contentpages.aspx...pageguid=68dc6038-ac25-48f0-a383-a0b2934dc597

Trafficked: The Village Voice Needs to Fact-Check
By: Charlie Foster

Ashton Kutcher may be wrong, but he may be right. The Village Voice, meanwhile, is definitely wrong, probably lazy, and also just plain mean. If you bear with me, I'll tell you why...

"It's tough to get numbers on this thing," Special Agent Evan Nicholas told me last September.

But this thing - the commercial sexual exploitation of children across the country - is exactly what Nicholas is supposed to be the authority on. He's the supervisor of the FBI's Crimes Against Children Unit and leads its Innocence Lost project. And yet every time I tried to pin him down with an estimate of just how many American kids are involved in the sex industry, he ducked and he dodged.

[...]

"If you're not looking for this problem, you're not going to see it," said Special Agent Evan Nicholas of the FBI, shortly before our interview ended. He elaborated: "You throw 100 agents at a problem, it's going to get bigger. You put a couple agents on it, you're not going to see anything."

[...]

"It's because these are throwaway kids," said Nicholas. "It's hard to track them. They know how to runaway, they know how to move around the system and disappear. And no one wants to admit they exist. That's the biggest problem with it. Nobody cares about them."
Full article:

I wanted to share this excellent article. I hope this is a good place to post it. My hope would be that every single man would read it. There's quit a bit in there on human trafficking.

Sorry if this has already been posted.

The John Next Door
The men who buy sex are your neighbors and colleagues. A new study reveals how the burgeoning demand for *advertiser censored* and prostitutes is warping personal relationships and endangering women and girls

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/07/17/the-growing-demand-for-prostitution.html

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/08/10/18536776.html
Since February, RCMP have had a list of names of possible victims allegedly brought across the border from Bountiful, B.C., between the late '90s and 2006.

The victims, all girls, believed to be between 12 and 17 years old at the time, were allegedly shipped south to be illegally married to older men.

Former prostitute calls for trafficking strategy
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/08/13/18549991.html
"It's hard with the economy. I could get one phone call from a john and I could make $1,000 right now," she said. "When you see a girl and she's walking down the street and she's got her long hair extensions, her big boots and Louis Vuitton bag, she might look happy but if she's not putting on that fabricated smile and acting like she's all into it, she's not getting her money then she might get beat by a pimp. They get a false sense of empowerment. Eventually, they just become the walking dead."

Teng is pushing for a national strategy to combat human trafficking in Canada. She met Prime Minister Stephen Harper last October and discussed the idea with him.

"We need to see these people not as prostitutes but prostituted," she said. "(As many as) 98% of the women don't want to be in the industry and it's the fastest growing industry in the world."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/08/30/18620531-qmi.html
"Slavery exists in Canada.

Thousands of young Canadian women and girls are in forced prostitution: their shackles are crack cocaine, their overseers are gangsters. Many more are bought and sold as house slaves after being tricked into coming to Canada as nannies and temporary workers."

"Young women and teens from small towns and aboriginal reserves are at serious risk, lured to far away cities in Canada on the promise of exciting modelling work, human trafficking experts say. Once they arrive, their families are threatened, they are injected with drugs and forced into sexual slavery. The RCMP report as many as 2,000 people are trafficked from Canada into the United States each year."

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/state&id=8323706

McALLEN, TX -- A South Texas bar owner has been sentenced to 30 years in federal prison for sex trafficking of minors.

U.S. Attorney Jose Angel Moreno says 35-year-old Beleal Garcia-Gonzalez of Mission was sentenced Tuesday afternoon.

Garcia-Gonzalez was found guilty last fall of three counts of sex trafficking, one count of conspiracy to harbor illegal immigrants and six counts of harboring illegal immigrants.

A judge in McAllen also ordered Garcia-Gonzalez to forfeit his home, which he used to harbor the minors, plus pay restitution to the Honduran girls. They were 14, 15 and 17 at the time of the incidents.

Officers in January 2010 rescued the three girls when they were seen leaving a bar and wearing skimpy clothing during cold weather.

http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/1109/110908mexico.htm

3 individuals sentenced in Mexico for human trafficking
Mexican SIEDO-ICE HSI investigation leads to the 65-year collective sentence

Mexico — Emiliano Romero Ramirez, Maria Juana Rugerio Saucedo and Cristina Hernandez Suarez received a collective sentence of 65 years in prison for their involvement in a human trafficking operation. The case was investigated by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the Mexico Attorney General's Office's (PGR) Special Investigations Unit on Organized Crime (SIEDO).

Romero Ramirez and Rugerio Saucedo received a sentence of 37 years and six months in prison and a fine of $4,500 ($231,608 Mexican pesos). Hernandez Suarez received a sentence of 28 years and six months in prison and $2,850 fine ($145,639 Mexican pesos). The sentence also requires the individuals to forfeit assets totaling more than $10 million which will be part of the victims' compensation.

The investigation began on April 21, 2009 after ICE HSI, in coordination with SIEDO, revealed that three Atlanta women were being sexually exploited. These women were allegedly trafficked into the United States. The investigation also identified, through the Mexican Federal Investigations Agency, two young women who escaped from their traffickers and returned to Veracruz and Tabasco, Mexico. These women cooperated with authorities, which helped identify the heads of the trafficking organization, Miguel Angel and Saul Romero. Angel is currently in the custody of U.S. law enforcement and Romero is still at-large.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/10/08/18800331.html
QMI scribe gets nod for exploitation story

By Brett Clarkson, QMI Agency

NIAGARA FALLS -- Alison Langley, a QMI Agency reporter, has been nominated for a Beyond Borders Media Award for her coverage of sexual exploitation and human trafficking.

Langley's Aug. 9 story in the Niagara Falls Review headlined It's a crime of power and control: The Fight Against Human Trafficking is one of seven nominees in the 2011 Beyond Borders Media Awards' Print Category (English).

The story focused on the growing problem of human trafficking across Canada, an issue that Niagara isn't immune to, police say

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back