GUILTY VA - Yeardley Love, 22, UVA student, beaten to death, Charlottesville, May 2010 *civil trial 2022*

There are men who play no sports yet abuse their wives or girlfriends, so what does it really have to do with athletics?

Your correct jjenny, many men (ahem) of all walks of life are involved with DV, but I think the practice of covering up mistakes of athletes to protect them and the school has allowed this attitude of "entitlement" to grow, instead of getting the jock an appointment with a therapist to deal with his anger, rage, or whatever problems he is having.
Usually they are to stick to a strict code of behavior....to continue to play. The guy had anger problems and being under the influence of alcohol or certain kinds of drugs just adds to them. JMO

It sounds like he was an angry drunk. It's very sad. I dated an angry drunk all through college. He used to hit and shake me and I could have definitely ended up like Yeardley.

I certainly don't think Hugely meant to do this. It is very sad regardless. I hope he can learn to manage his anger.

BTDT too southcitymom. You can't argue with a drunk, about anything. She didn't have a chance--he kicked the door in. I wonder too if the mention of steroids is in fact true.....not good.

If authorities were to find death threats, I would think that should help them to make a case for pre-meditation.

Unquestionably.

Though my ex made death threats against me and, frankly, if he had ever managed to beat me to death, I still think it would have been an accident. Angry, obsessive, lovelorn men can do and say insane things - especially when alcohol is added to the mix.

Unquestionably.

Though my ex made death threats against me and, frankly, if he had ever managed to beat me to death, I still think it would have been an accident. Angry, obsessive, lovelorn men can do and say insane things - especially when alcohol is added to the mix.

Well it certainly doesn't look like a well planned thing, there was no attempt to hide the body and he appear to have given incriminating statements right away when police came a looking. But I certainly wouldn't call beating someone to death an "accident."

Been There Done That....................
never again to go thru it.

LOL - thanks. Yeah - me too - young and stupid!!! But I harbor no ill will...some things just have to be learned the hard way. Still, I am obviously grateful that I didn't end up like Yeardley.

Well it certainly doesn't look like a well planned thing, there was no attempt to hide the body and he appear to have given incriminating statements right away when police came a looking. But I certainly wouldn't call beating someone to death an "accident."

It'll be hard to know, jjenny, if he really planned and carried out murder. Like you said - not a lot of coverup at all - that leads me to believe he lost it and didn't know his own strength. I think he is probably in shock that she is dead.

Until I hear him admit that he planned this, it's hard not to filter it through my own similar experience at a similar age.

ETA - men are so much stronger than women - sometimes I don't think they know how much stronger. Not trying to give this guy a pass - he's got some real issues obviously - I'm just saying that I understand how passions can run away with a person and make them do terrible unintentional (maybe accident is the wrong word) things.

ETA - men are so much stronger than women - sometimes I don't think they know how much stronger. Not trying to give this guy a pass - he's got some real issues obviously - I'm just saying that I understand how passions can run away with a person and make them do terrible unintentional (maybe accident is the wrong word) things.

Well I would think "accident" is clearly the wrong word whether this was pre-planned or not.
Un-intentionally bumping into someone leading them to fall and hit their head-that's an accident. Shaking or beating someone leading to their death-I don't think so.

Have I missed it or has the ME issued a statement yet regarding the cause of death? In no way am I defending this young man's actions, but it is still quite possible that she was badly beaten, but STILL died from alcohol intoxication. There had to be some good reason that the room mates thought that is what had happened. Also, if a suspect is still under the influence of alcohol, can their waiving of their Miranda rights be questioned legally?

I agree to a point about unintentional, but it's like a shooting. If you fire once and hit the target, I could see self defense, not multiple shots--till death. Same here, although, I'm NOT defending someone who assaults anybody, but beating some one to death is not just a smack in the face. He kept it up, repeatedly. JMO

ETA: If he did send her death threats, his lawyer has his work cut out for him.

Well I would think "accident" is clearly the wrong word whether this was pre-planned or not.
Un-intentionally bumping into someone leading them to fall and hit their head-that's an accident. Shaking or beating someone leading to their death-I don't think so.

I think you can get so lost in anger that you shake and beat and have no intention of killing or seriously injuring the person. I suspect this is what happens in many many many cases of adult-child abuse.

It's true that a reasonable person should be able to make the connection that beating and shaking can lead to injury and death. But, in my experience, rage can blind reason as effectively as drugs. I don't know that that's what happened here, but it's certainly one explanation!

Have I missed it or has the ME issued a statement yet regarding the cause of death? In no way am I defending this young man's actions, but it is still quite possible that she was badly beaten, but STILL died from alcohol intoxication. There had to be some good reason that the room mates thought that is what had happened. Also, if a suspect is still under the influence of alcohol, can their waiving of their Miranda rights be questioned legally?

Great points, raeann. There is a still a LOT we don't know yet!

Her roommates found her unresponsive (dead?) and probably thought she was passed out from drinking. I certainly don't see anything suggesting that alcohol poisoning was an actual cause of her death.

I think you can get so lost in anger that you shake and beat and have no intention of killing or seriously injuring the person. I suspect this is what happens in many many many cases of adult-child abuse.

It's true that a reasonable person should be able to make the connection that beating and shaking can lead to injury and death. But, in my experience, rage can blind reason as effectively as drugs. I don't know that that's what happened here, but it's certainly one explanation!

Beating/shaking someone without having an intent to kill that someone might make it something less than a first degree murder, but I fail to see how it would make it an "accident."

I believe it was many hours later when suspect spoke to police and confessed. Not sure being under influence would prevent him from being able to waive his rights...not the law's fault if he is drunk and stupid, i.e. although I am sure it will be argued. I think her roommate must have jumped to conclusions when she could not wake her roommate as murder would not be the first thing to come to mind...
In any case, it will be hard to avoid first-degree if there were any previous threats on record...whether he meant to kill her on that night or not. I would not be surprised to see a plea to 2nd degree, if confession is upheld, as 1st degree would seem likely verdict to me. On NG they said his lawyer made a huge mistake in claiming her death was a tragic accident as it rules out trying the "impaired and doesn't remember" defense later on...

Great points, raeann. There is a still a LOT we don't know yet!

While it is quite possible that she had some type of a closed head injury....the swollen eye, a bloody nose and bruises would not be alone indicative of a cause of death. When someone is simply "passed out" from alcohol, they can be at least partially roused as opposed to someone who is completely unresponsive from an alcohol poisoning situation. It just appears from their assumption initially, that the room mates must have KNOWN that she was quite intoxicated earlier in the evening. None of that would excuse a beating of any kind, of course, but until a cause of death has been determined, there is no proof of murder....assault for sure, attempted murder, maybe. Anyway, my original post was basically a question....has the ME yet released a COD??? Actually, the fact that the eye was swollen means that she was alive for a period of time AFTER she was hit, as does the bruising.

jmoo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedWriter
Back