AK AK - Tok, WhtMale 25-35, UP12375, one-eyed hitchhiker picked up in ID, Aug'79

I was thinking the same thing. The victim very likely could have lost his eye after he was last seen, thus making this case very hard to solve. Or maybe he wasn't really missing an eye at all and just had injured himself and wore the patch just to make him look tough while hitchhiking across the states. Does an eye socket close up or "heal" after the eye is gone for awhile? Can the ME tell for certain that the eye was missing by examing the skull? Just thoughts.

I was thinking the same thing. The victim very likely could have lost his eye after he was last seen, thus making this case very hard to solve. Or maybe he wasn't really missing an eye at all and just had injured himself and wore the patch just to make him look tough while hitchhiking across the states. Does an eye socket close up or "heal" after the eye is gone for awhile? Can the ME tell for certain that the eye was missing by examing the skull? Just thoughts.

There was significant damage to the bones surrounding his left eye. And in addition, he had a marble in his pocket that he used as a prosthetic eye.

He told the killer that he lost his eye in a logging accident. He got his head caught in a choker cable

I decided to complete the recon, rather than show him with the "Kilroy" pose. Of course, with no mandible, his chin and jawline are purely a guess, but I decided it was preferable to complete the image rather than show him like he is peeking over a wall.

2baed648-e443-4391-8fb2-109c0d77069a.jpg

He told the killer that he lost his eye in a logging accident. He got his head caught in a choker cable

I hope law enforcement checked with Oregon Worker's Compensation; also hope this sort of accident is rare!

Any newspaper headlines along the lines of "Local Logger Loses Eye to Choker Cable?"

This is an interesting one given his killer, Bishop, gave so much information about the victim. They must have been together for at least 2 or 3 days

I agree it might be worth following up on the some of the clues about the victim's past life - the logging accident and the car dealership. I just did a quick search and there are logging accidents listed but not as far back as the 1970's.

Where did the drivers licence end up, did Bishop take it? What did he remember about it, did he get the age of the man from it or did the man tell him he was 32?

Great recons, Carl, as always!

I decided to complete the recon, rather than show him with the "Kilroy" pose. Of course, with no mandible, his chin and jawline are purely a guess, but I decided it was preferable to complete the image rather than show him like he is peeking over a wall.

Looks great

I noticed that Billy Marshall isn't on the rule out list, but he was mentioned earlier. I think he's a decent possibility!

Looks like now on namus there is a new reconstruction of his face. The reconstruction looks pretty vintage lols.
8463a1fea98e4996f7cc9014885f0438.jpg

I noticed that Billy Marshall isn't on the rule out list, but he was mentioned earlier. I think he's a decent possibility!
Go ahead and submit him!!! It doesn't hurt to do so.

Hey guys, I see this thread is years old but I was wondering if you ever heard back from the Idaho Law Enforcement agency? I was looking through this case, I live in Alaska and my local news paper did an article in people missing in Alaska.

Anyway, when I started digging I came to the same conclusion you all did about Mr. Harder and UP. So I'm wondering any follow-up?

Hey guys, I see this thread is years old but I was wondering if you ever heard back from the Idaho Law Enforcement agency? I was looking through this case, I live in Alaska and my local news paper did an article in people missing in Alaska.

Anyway, when I started digging I came to the same conclusion you all did about Mr. Harder and UP. So I'm wondering any follow-up?

I think your best bet is to call them yourself
NamUs page

I heard back from a Detective in Idaho today. I gave him the information I had re: this MP and Mr. Harder. Though I got confused and gave him a different description of how I came to find Mr. Harder's name :/ I don't know if that really matters, though. He said that he will discuss this with the case worker in Idaho.

The drawing/reconstruction looks exactly like Charles Fabian. I wonder if there's any chance his date of going missing is wrong.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/608dmca.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right, he does look like John Doe! I suppose the date when he went missing could be wrong, especially if he wasn't reported missing right after he disappeared.

Could Dwayne Dicicco be a possibility? https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/18934

There's nothing about a missing eye, but NamUs *does* say that his eyes were two different colours: one brown and one grey. It may be an error since I couldn't tell by looking at the picture provided, but it's still a possibility.

This missing teen, Derran Conway Rogers, was partially blind in his left eye: CA - Derran Conway Rogers, 13, Modesto, 27 Feb 1973
Missing Person Case
It doesn't say why he was partially blind but if it was due to an accident perhaps his eyesight got worse after he left home and he got the glass eye and patch?

Height is a match (6 ft) and weight is about right too (150 lbs when he left home but he was only 14 years old and could have easily bulked up to 185 lbs in 6 years).

Comparison with Carl's reconstruction (only photo of Derran):
Original

If anyone thinks Derran is a possibility please send it in. I'm only suggesting here, thanks.

His clothing and personal effects were just added to his NamUs page:

Accessories
2 packs of Winston cigarettes 3 books of matches Broken yellow lead pencil
Near the Body

Clothing
headband
Near the Body

Clothing
Mervyns Mark II jacket, size large, green and brown plaid Blue jeans containing 15 cents (dime and nickel in Canadian currency) in the right front pocket and a white and orange marble in the left front pocket Green and white plaid C.P.O. type shirt Blue bandana White t-shirt Blue socks
Near the Body

Eyewear
Black leather eye patch
On the Body

Footwear
Brown leather ankle lace boots
Near the Body

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online