NCAA Sanctions: "DP" for Penn Football, or...?

Should the NCAA give Penn State the "death penalty"?

• Total voters
Can one of our resident college sports analysts help clarify this for me? I took the Big Ten's separate announcement that Penn State will not share in the Bowl revenues to be a separate sanction from the NCAA's decision that they will not be allowed to play in any Bowl games, even if they qualify by record.

I took this to mean that all Big Ten teams take some share in revenues from Big Ten bowl games, whether they play in them or not. Is that correct?

Can one of our resident college sports analysts help clarify this for me? I took the Big Ten's separate announcement that Penn State will not share in the Bowl revenues to be a separate sanction from the NCAA's decision that they will not be allowed to play in any Bowl games, even if they qualify by record.

I took this to mean that all Big Ten teams take some share in revenues from Big Ten bowl games, whether they play in them or not. Is that correct?

Yes, all of the conference schools receive a portion of the bowl revenues from whatever teams play bowls from that conference. By not allowing them to receive funds, the BIG 10 was basically paralleling the NCAA decision regarding bowls. I believe that money could have been redistributed to the other schools, but by allocating to charities, it keeps the Big 10 from appearing to "profit" by the Penn State sanctions.

Oops! Here's another mistake I made. It's corrected by the same article as my post above; http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ws_id=19014094&src=most_popular_viewed&page=2

...The scholarship reductions mean Penn State's roster will be capped at 65 scholarship players beginning in 2014. The normal scholarship limit for major college football programs is 85. Playing with 20 less is devastating to a program that tries to compete at the highest level of the sport....

However, I still stick to my point that the loss of scholarships is meaningless. 65 scholarships when you have a 22 starter team is a drop in the bucket. JMO

I have to disagree. The loss of scholarships will hurt Penn State BIG time. Will it hurt them enough? That's a a more difficult question. I'm only suggesting that it is a very substantial penalty. It will take Penn State a long time to recover, in my opinion.

Scholarship penalties could crush PSU

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/53718/scholarship-penalties-could-crush-psu

A reasonable conclusion: Penn State football might not be back to normal in terms of its roster until the 2020 season or so.

Something was niggling around at the back of my mind today and it finally came to the forefront. It's from Rocky Horror Picture Show

[PSU], say goodbye to all this...

Audience: GOODBYE ALL THIS!

...and hello to...oblivion

Audience: HELLO OBLIVION! HOW'S THE WIFE AND KIDS?

I admit to schadenfreude at JP's disgrace. All his holier-than-thouness and media exaltation has rubbed me the wrong way for a long time.

However my gloating is vastly tempered by the knowledge of what JS's victims endured, and will continue to endure, for the rest of their lives. :(

I have to disagree. The loss of scholarships will hurt Penn State BIG time. Will it hurt them enough? That's a a more difficult question. I'm only suggesting that it is a very substantial penalty. It will take Penn State a long time to recover, in my opinion.

Scholarship penalties could crush PSU

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/53718/scholarship-penalties-could-crush-psu

Look at it from a recruiting standpoint also. They were already hamstrung in recruiting due to public perception, reducing the scholarships and taking away the bowls put a huge dent in recruiting.

Ask yourself for at least four years, what is a kids motivation to play at Penn State now? What's the sell point when the coach comes into the living room of a potential recruit?

If Penn State played in a lesser conference like say Conference USA that I'd agree the scholarship aspect isn't as big of a deal but they play in the Big Ten, that's big boy football. They will not be able to compete with the teams in their conference with what they are are going to be able to field. That's not even getting into how many transfers they are going to have. They'll be lucky to compete against teams like Indiana and Northwestern.

Look at it from a recruiting standpoint also. They were already hamstrung in recruiting due to public perception, reducing the scholarships and taking away the bowls put a huge dent in recruiting.

Ask yourself for at least four years, what is a kids motivation to play at Penn State now? What's the sell point when the coach comes into the living room of a potential recruit?

If Penn State played in a lesser conference like say Conference USA that I'd agree the scholarship aspect isn't as big of a deal but they play in the Big Ten, that's big boy football. They will not be able to compete with the teams in their conference with what they are are going to be able to field. That's not even getting into how many transfers they are going to have. They'll be lucky to compete against teams like Indiana and Northwestern.

I still believe that the loss of scholarships isn't a big deal. However, I do agree that it will be a hard sell to convince a kid to go to Penn State. Until this fades into the shadows they'll have to be happy with the kids who don't get offers from any other school, and the kids of fanatical Penn State fans or alumni.

They will eventually get back on their feet.

Can Penn State's hometown survive NCAA sanctions? (AP)
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Many in this leafy, vibrant college town nicknamed "Happy Valley" worry the temporary evisceration of Penn State's football program might inflict similar damage on a community that, for years, thrived as fans flocked to home games at the massive football stadium and a far-flung alumni base stayed connected by loyalty - and by checkbook.
---
in-depth article at link above

Wow wow wow. This is WORSE than the death penalty. Gives coaches and administers all over the country a loud, clear message: don't cover up for child rapists. It's so symbolic and poetic that they are vacating wins back to 1998, the first time Paterno and company could have stopped Jerry and didn't. The true irony is that the program Paterno worked so hard to build and protect (at the expense of those innocent little boys) is crumbling down because of his own inaction. I wish he would have lived to see it. He got off really easy...IMO

The strange thing is, the part I bolded is the one thing I do disagree with about the NCAA sanctions. In 1998, the Police department, the Department of Welfare, and the District Attorney investigated and gave Sandusky a pass. Vacating wins from 1998 through 2001, when Penn State officials decided to cover up Sandusky's crimes sends a strange message; that somehow the football program should be responsible for what the proper authorities didn't do.

You know, yesterday thinking about this. I thought there was no way that it will be close to being a fair or just punishment. I wanted the dp. But honestly, that's to good for them.

See to these guys, its always been about football. So basic. A game. A sport. I had over thought this to the highest level, hoping, praying I would/could understand. And I finally got it.

It wasn't such the building of a man into a god,it was about a game. A silly game. To be dp'ed for a year and then to be right back at where they were in the game...it was to good for them.

I still think no punishment could be severe enough, but, I'm actually feeling OK about it. Hit them where it will hurt them. The next 5 years will be horrible for that program. Take their power. Make them feel small and insignificant.

Note: I know in the grand scheme of it how I feel doesn't matter in the least. I just pray that when those courageous victims see this coverage, they are feeling some sort of peace.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Victim 4's attorney wishes the NCAA/PSU had consulted the victims; he isn't sure this is what his client would want.

http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehann...ons/-/9758860/15655368/-/t4e8fgz/-/index.html

The strange thing is, the part I bolded is the one thing I do disagree with about the NCAA sanctions. In 1998, the Police department, the Department of Welfare, and the District Attorney investigated and gave Sandusky a pass. Vacating wins from 1998 through 2001, when Penn State officials decided to cover up Sandusky's crimes sends a strange message; that somehow the football program should be responsible for what the proper authorities didn't do.

I'm on the complete opposite side. I think vacating the wins back to 1998 was the most important part of the punishment. It sent the message to every university in the nation that just because local law enforcement clears one of your players or coaches of criminal wrongdoing, that does mean you are in the clear. Freeh stressed, in his press conference, that the least Paterno could have done was notifiy his staff and keep a watchful eye on Sandusky. Instead, he said nothing. In fact, JP didn't even force him to resign (I was sure he did. I guess I gave him too much credit). Instead, he said Sandusky could coach as long as he wanted or take a golden parachute and continue to bring kids on campus.

Also, Sandusky was allowed to take victim 4 to bowl games AFTER the 1998 incident. Inexcusable. It does not matter that the local, elected official did not press charges against Sandusky. He may have had his own reasons for not wanting to pursue the matter. It's more important that the university's own investigator recommended pressing charges. The university had an obligation to protect children, or at the very least to prevent children from being assaulted on campus or at university sponsored events.

I'm passionate about this issue because I have some understanding of the pressure on LE to do no harm to the local football team. You are absolutely correct to point out that it's a strange world when local communities place football players and coaches above the law. But it happens. The NCAA had to send a message.

JMO

I think this shows how former players are struggling with JP's public and locker room image with the stuff coming out now.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article962169.ece?twobillsdrive

Scott admits he'd think twice
By Nick Veronica
News Sports Reporter

...The inner conflict of learning what Paterno really was hasn't been easy for him. Paterno was an idol.

"For a while, I was struggling with separating the message from the messenger," Scott said. "It's kind of hard, because he's close to me and meant so much to me, but obviously, he dropped the ball....

I'm on the complete opposite side. I think vacating the wins back to 1998 was the most important part of the punishment. It sent the message to every university in the nation that just because local law enforcement clears one of your players or coaches of criminal wrongdoing, that does mean you are in the clear. Freeh stressed, in his press conference, that the least Paterno could have done was notifiy his staff and keep a watchful eye on Sandusky. Instead, he said nothing. In fact, JP didn't even force him to resign (I was sure he did. I guess I gave him too much credit). Instead, he said Sandusky could coach as long as he wanted or take a golden parachute and continue to bring kids on campus.

Also, Sandusky was allowed to take victim 4 to bowl games AFTER the 1998 incident. Inexcusable. It does not matter that the local, elected official did not press charges against Sandusky. He may have had his own reasons for not wanting to pursue the matter. It's more important that the university's own investigator recommended pressing charges. The university had an obligation to protect children, or at the very least to prevent children from being assaulted on campus or at university sponsored events.

I'm passionate about this issue because I have some understanding of the pressure on LE to do no harm to the local football team. You are absolutely correct to point out that it's a strange world when local communities place football players and coaches above the law. But it happens. The NCAA had to send a message.

JMO

Thanks was not enough, BigCat! This is what I've been trying to say in a couple of posts but you got it across so much better!

JMO

I appreciate the opportunity to read different opinions here, but this surprises me. I've had trouble understanding why so many people blame PSU officials for 1998.

Somehow, Sandusky convinced experienced LE officers, a respected DA, the state's Child Abuse investigator, and one of the two therapists that met with the child that he had done nothing more wrong than using poor judgment. And yet Judge Freeh felt that Paterno should have recognized that the experts were wrong, and that he should defame Sandusky with only his suspicions.

Of course, knowing what we know now, he would have been right to, but I still think going back to 98 to vacate the wins sends the wrong message, because it takes the emphasis away from 2001, which is when the Gang of Four made the real mistake, and of course they continued that up until the end, but IMO, Penn State shouldn't be held responsible for not taking action in 98.

As to your last sentence, I do agree that the NCAA had to send a message, but I feel including 1998-2000 in the sanctions makes it appear like a knee-jerk punishment, and to me, it's the one aspect of the sanctions that is hard to justify the rationale for, again in my opinion.

I have to agree, though I think it makes little difference.

This wasn't a cover up by Penn State, so far as we know. There was no effort to interfere in the police investigation; the report was called thorough. Outside agencies made the decision, and there is no evidence anyone at Penn State influenced that decision.

However, I will add a caveat. If DPW or the DA's Office approached Penn State and suggested that there could be a problem, and that advice was ignored, I would agree.

I am troubled by the 10/13/98 meeting and I would not rule out the possibility of a warning.

I have to agree, though I think it makes little difference.

This wasn't a cover up by Penn State, so far as we know. There was no effort to interfere in the police investigation; the report was called thorough. Outside agencies made the decision, and there is no evidence anyone at Penn State influenced that decision.

However, I will add a caveat. If DPW or the DA's Office approached Penn State and suggested that there could be a problem, and that advice was ignored, I would agree.

I am troubled by the 10/13/98 meeting and I would not rule out the possibility of a warning.

But why meet with Ganter, if the warning was meant for Paterno? The only reason I can think of for a meeting with Ganter would be investigative. Did he contact them with his own concerns? Another of the mysteries left in the notes of the police report.

This column covers something I was thinking about earlier today: Tim Curley.

The only man who can truly unravel this sordid, surreal story now has a chance to do the right thing. To give abused children and their families closure; to give his university an understanding of the power of the few; to give the Paterno family a clear vision of their once-iconic patriarch’s utter failure in the biggest moment of his life.
To tell the ugly, unmentionable truth once and for all—prison be damned.
It’s all on Tim Curley’s shoulders now.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ctions-tim-curley-joe-paterno-spanier-schultz

JMO

BBM.

I totally agree and I don't understand why these points which have been made repeatedly, not only by you, are also repeatedly ignored. :waitasec:

But why meet with Ganter, if the warning was meant for Paterno? The only reason I can think of for a meeting with Ganter would be investigative. Did he contact them with his own concerns? Another of the mysteries left in the notes of the police report.

Perhaps Ganter was the man to see if someone wanted to get a message to Paterno. It was Ganter who delivered the phone number from the BOT to Paterno on the night he was relieved of his coaching duties.

I appreciate the opportunity to read different opinions here, but this surprises me. I've had trouble understanding why so many people blame PSU officials for 1998.

Somehow, Sandusky convinced experienced LE officers, a respected DA, the state's Child Abuse investigator, and one of the two therapists that met with the child that he had done nothing more wrong than using poor judgment.
And yet Judge Freeh felt that Paterno should have recognized that the experts were wrong, and that he should defame Sandusky with only his suspicions.

Of course, knowing what we know now, he would have been right to, but I still think going back to 98 to vacate the wins sends the wrong message, because it takes the emphasis away from 2001, which is when the Gang of Four made the real mistake, and of course they continued that up until the end, but IMO, Penn State shouldn't be held responsible for not taking action in 98.

As to your last sentence, I do agree that the NCAA had to send a message, but I feel including 1998-2000 in the sanctions makes it appear like a knee-jerk punishment, and to me, it's the one aspect of the sanctions that is hard to justify the rationale for, again in my opinion.

BBM for focus.

I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but the investigating officer did think there was enough evidence to charge Sandusky with a crime, and the other therapist, the one not affiliated with PSU, believed Sandusky fit the profile of a pedophile.

I don't think I've seen anyone blame PSU for 1998. It's what PSU did after that is the problem.

Maybe I can clarify with the rhetorical "you" in a theoretical scenario?

Say you have a young son that you allow to spend a lot of time with a grown man that you believe is a valuable mentor and father figure to your son.

Then you find out that authorities have investigated that man for possible sexual behavior with another young boy, even though nothing came of it and no charges were filed.

Would you continue to let your son spend time with that man unsupervised by you on the basis that since the authorities didn't press charges, everything must be A-OK?

Now take it one degree of separation. You don't find out yourself that this man has been investigated for this possible crime, but you do find out that this man's employers knew, yet did nothing to alert you or the organization through which this man met your son that this investigation had taken place.

When pressed why not, their answer is well, the authorities didn't find anything so we figured your son was still perfectly safe with him. And we didn't want to defame the man by telling anyone because after all, no charges were filed.

That's what PSU essentially did. If you think that was acceptable behavior on their part, then I do understand why you think the NCAA vacating wins back to 1998 is uncalled for.

BBM.

I totally agree and I don't understand why these points which have been made repeatedly, not only by you, are also repeatedly ignored. :waitasec:

I promise I am not ignoring the points; we all have our own opinions on things, and I believe discussion is healthy. I have read and listened to everything I can get my hands on regarding this case, including the Freeh report cover to cover, so my opinions aren't from a position of ignorance.

It can be difficult to not be in the majority here, but I think I have been respectful in sharing my viewpoints. If my facts are wrong, hopefully someone will point it out to me, but not everything is so black and white.

I love Websleuths for everything I can learn here from others, and for what everyone brings to the table. It would be a pretty boring place if we all agreed all of the time.

Big Cat made his/her point very well, but I just see it differently. That's OK. I'd share more about why I feel that way, but I'm afraid some won't want to read it, so I'll let it at that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee
Back