Criminal trial scheduling including pre-trial hearings, conferences & Timeline

He took the stand???? Would love to see that happen during the trial.

"Raven Abaroa took the stand during his pretrial hearing Friday to talk about evidence in the case. The defense wanted to suppress evidence gathered at Abaroa's home, specifically the laptop computer he reported missing." LINK

So they did find the missing laptop, and apparently there is something on it that the defense doesn't want to come out in trial. This is a good sign, I hope.

Seems rather odd to me; if you're after the truth why would you suppress evidence? I guess Raven must have something to hide.

I thought the laptop was missing completely stolen along with some of his knives.

I'm no lawyer, but I don't see any grounds for disallowing the info on that computer as long as it was seized legally. It does make one wonder what he is trying to hide.... Love notes with someone else? Future plans with someone else "after my wife is gone," or like that??? Hope so!! I just hope when it was seized that all was legit. But the listings on S/Ws these days always include computers and any other type of storage devices, etc., etc.

I guess we'll have plenty of time now to mull that one since the trial has been delayed till next year. Grrrrrrr. And apparently his attorney is a good defender in murder cases. Another Grrrrrr. What's the big deal, I guess -- seven years to wait for justice....eight years.... What's the diff?? :banghead:

Alert! Alert!

I just received this response from WRAL when I asked about their plans to stream the Abaroa trial:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

profile_mask2.png

Moore, Bonnie BMoore@wral.com
7:45 AM (3 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your email. This trial is now postponed until sometime in January. We do intend to livestream the trial.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bonnie

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/FONT]

I'm no lawyer, but I don't see any grounds for disallowing the info on that computer as long as it was seized legally. It does make one wonder what he is trying to hide.... Love notes with someone else? Future plans with someone else "after my wife is gone," or like that??? Hope so!! I just hope when it was seized that all was legit. But the listings on S/Ws these days always include computers and any other type of storage devices, etc., etc.

I guess we'll have plenty of time now to mull that one since the trial has been delayed till next year. Grrrrrrr. And apparently his attorney is a good defender in murder cases. Another Grrrrrr. What's the big deal, I guess -- seven years to wait for justice....eight years.... What's the diff?? :banghead:

Whatever information they gleaned, how could it not be legit. He stated the laptop computer was stolen. Pretty funny that on April 25, 2005 he posted the now famous or infamous "If I were a Bird", reflecting on his life. I believe that's the same damn day he joined Alta or Reunion and signed up as single. That's the day before the murder.

His laptop was confiscated by police in January of 2005 (four months before Janet's murder) when he was arrested for embezzlement. Raven's been around the block, he planned and premeditated this murder. I think this should be a DP case, he deserves the DP for what he has done to Janet and his unborn child and Janet and his own family and all those he touches. This piece of excrement knew that the minute Janet was murdered, the first thing law enforcement would do is go through and take his lap top. It NEEDED to be missing.

He planned and premeditated this murder. He had ample opportunity to get rid of it after he killed her and get rid of it on his way to soccer. Janet was completely and utterly dead and in a state of rigomortis when 911 was called, he killed her, went to play soccer, came home and made that feeble attempt of acting confused and bereft during that 911 call. He mumbled and and whined, but it was contrived, fake and then when he gave the address, he actually enunciated, it was completely malarkey.

I believe that's what happened. Problem with Raven is he told so many people different versions, that he couldn't keep them all straight.

I cannot believe anyone, friends, family or his defense team can even remotely believe he's not a cold blooded killer.

Yes, maddening -- but since the DT asked for it, I guess the judge figured it best be done.... I'm quite disappointed, too.
icon9.gif

In light of the hurricane, thank you Amos Tyndall for continuing it.

I believe most of Janet's family lives on the east coast and it would be a terrible time for them to have to travel at this time.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those that live on the East Coast.

Trial continued to April 22 or April 29th...

Tyndall requested Raven be allowed to wait in Utah, O'Foghludha denied the request.

Theresa Pressley is off the case and we have a new Prosecutor, ADA Charlene Coggins-Franks.

There's a bunch of little red herrings in the piece regarding dna, blood and fingerprints. Keep throwing those Red Herrings at the wall Attorney Tyndall and keep hoping one will stick, but we all know Raven did it and he's where he belongs.

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_...ial-in-pregnant-woman’s-slaying-delayed-again

Whatever information they gleaned, how could it not be legit. He stated the laptop computer was stolen. Pretty funny that on April 25, 2005 he posted the now famous or infamous "If I were a Bird", reflecting on his life. I believe that's the same damn day he joined Alta or Reunion and signed up as single. That's the day before the murder.

His laptop was confiscated by police in January of 2005 (four months before Janet's murder) when he was arrested for embezzlement. Raven's been around the block, he planned and premeditated this murder. I think this should be a DP case, he deserves the DP for what he has done to Janet and his unborn child and Janet and his own family and all those he touches. This piece of excrement knew that the minute Janet was murdered, the first thing law enforcement would do is go through and take his lap top. It NEEDED to be missing.

He planned and premeditated this murder. He had ample opportunity to get rid of it after he killed her and get rid of it on his way to soccer. Janet was completely and utterly dead and in a state of rigomortis when 911 was called, he killed her, went to play soccer, came home and made that feeble attempt of acting confused and bereft during that 911 call. He mumbled and and whined, but it was contrived, fake and then when he gave the address, he actually enunciated, it was completely malarkey.

I believe that's what happened. Problem with Raven is he told so many people different versions, that he couldn't keep them all straight.

I cannot believe anyone, friends, family or his defense team can even remotely believe he's not a cold blooded killer.

Yep, 'trixator, I think that's exactly what happened -- kinda like how Con-Conrad Murray handled MJ's death -- he had MJ's staff call 911 about an hour after Michael's death; EMT's felt that MJ had been dead a while; he was cool to the touch, etc., etc. I'm betting the EMT's knew the same when they checked Janet as well. If so, that will be big-time testimony -- IF there ever is a flippin' trial.... :banghead:

Quoted from terminatrixator:

There's a bunch of little red herrings in the piece regarding dna, blood and fingerprints. Keep throwing those Red Herrings at the wall Attorney Tyndall and keep hoping one will stick, but we all know Raven did it and he's where he belongs.

What she said.

Raven's attorney must be hoping that the stall tactic will result in either people forgetting or no longer around to testify. It's rather a defense tactic when they have no alibi.

I truly believe that the reporter was probably contacted by Attorney Tyndall and the entire article was written with a defense slant to it.

Then again, I always found Herald Sun to not be too thrilled with LE and Prosecutors, but maybe that's just me.

It also trivialized the fact that Raven had an identification card UMMM "Driver's License"with the Peters name. This wasn't something from childhood, this was something he purposely went out to get.

I find it funny he seemed to be trying to find a way to get closer to the borders, when Mexico was out he then went trying for Canada. He's a flight risk.

This guy didn't just kill his wife, he's committed other crimes. He's a danger to society, period.

I feel like perhaps Tyndall is a lot like Mark Geragos, we'll be getting Friday Red Herrings, ah ha moments where there's asian mafia members, men in brown vans, satanic cults, and perhaps it was someone that worked at a massage parlor did it. I mean he pulled stupid stunts like the boat parked kitty corner of the courthouse with an effigy of Laci in it. Red Herrings are part of the defense strategy I guess. It worked for Casey Anthony - not guilty doesn't mean she didn't do it, they will do whatever it takes to get the murderer off the hook, it's there job. Still kinda sad though.

Raven's attorney must be hoping that the stall tactic will result in either people forgetting or no longer around to testify. It's rather a defense tactic when they have no alibi.

Well this time, the delaying and re-dating the trial is because this case just got a new ADA, Charlene Coggins-Franks. The former ADA is leaving the office, so I would say that the judge really has no choice in this. Apparently there is a coupla tons of evidence & discovery.

I just hope the current delay interval won't give Tyndall another opportunity to come up with one more delay, p-hum. At least the bum's in jail. In Durham. Ick. I'm sure he feels quite out of his element -- but he's not, now is he???
icon10.gif

April? are you $$&!$@ kidding me? The only up is that this givesADA more time to prepare. justice for janet is coming.

They have gone through a lot of ADA's. Hopefully she can get up to speed quickly enough and gets a feel for this case. It's not a slam dunk case, it's a Circumstantial Evidence case and as we have seen lately, in the age of CSI shows, everyone expects cases to have a smoking gun and they don't understand that you are allowed to use common sense and that Circumstantial Evidence is Evidence.

From what I read Charlene Coggins-Franks is a veteran prosecutor and I hope she is thorough. Durham's DA office was jinxed it seems and it's time that Raven is stopped and he stops getting slapped on the wrist for the things he has done, especially killing Janet and their unborn child.

You're so right, 'trixator (bbm), about a CE case. I would think CE cases would be by far the most common, but yes, in this day of folks assuming that "every" police force/investigative bureau has all of those fancy, results-immediate, and expensive machines and superhuman technicians who all have ESP, it becomes even harder.

Another thing the public (and that's where juries come from, eh?) needs to understand is how a CE case is built: one fact, piece of evidence -- be it testimony or an autopsy statement, or stains on a rug or in a car, etc., blood tests, timelines, etc., etc. -- is built and then more big or little facts start to pile up. If one piece of evidence do not seem solid, it doesn't sour or cancel-out all the rest of each individual fact. It's like a rope built of many strands -- if one strand is ruled-out by the jury, that doesn't negate the rest of the rope -- the rope is still strong and dependable. Grrrrr. Drives me crazeee.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back